Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Wireless boost

Jump to newest

By *yron69 OP   Man
over a year ago

Fareham

I’m in my shed and need a boost for wireless from the indoor router. Any suggestions?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

Plug network?

By *yron69 OP   Man
over a year ago

Fareham

"Plug network?"

Those plug in plug socket things?

By *ssexcouple71Couple
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Personally I would run a network cable down there and have a separate Switch and then run a wireless access point

By *yron69 OP   Man
over a year ago

Fareham

"Personally I would run a network cable down there and have a separate Switch and then run a wireless access point "

I’ll look into that.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

Hardwired is the most stable- as long as you don't put your spade through it by accident.

Can can use a wireless repeater system, like the TPLink units. Fairly good but sometimes a pain in the ass to setup and get an internet throughput- i'm double hopping a wireless feed from a CCTV recorder and I'm still non the wiser as to how the feck i actually got it to work? (and the units also seem to occasionally forget how they work too, they magically start again a few hours later)

If going down the plug in repeater route, i'd personally look at a mesh system, but they're still quite pricey, but should give you an excellent and stable connection through your entire house, garden, neighbours garden and possibly as far as the local pub if you can walk there in a few minutes

By *yron69 OP   Man
over a year ago

Fareham

"Hardwired is the most stable- as long as you don't put your spade through it by accident.

Can can use a wireless repeater system, like the TPLink units. Fairly good but sometimes a pain in the ass to setup and get an internet throughput- i'm double hopping a wireless feed from a CCTV recorder and I'm still non the wiser as to how the feck i actually got it to work? (and the units also seem to occasionally forget how they work too, they magically start again a few hours later)

If going down the plug in repeater route, i'd personally look at a mesh system, but they're still quite pricey, but should give you an excellent and stable connection through your entire house, garden, neighbours garden and possibly as far as the local pub if you can

walk there in a few minutes "

This seems like a challenge. Many thanks

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

"Hardwired is the most stable- as long as you don't put your spade through it by accident.

If going down the plug in repeater route, i'd personally look at a mesh system, but they're still quite pricey, but should give you an excellent and stable connection through your entire house, garden, neighbours garden and possibly as far as the local pub if you can

walk there in a few minutes

This seems like a challenge. Many thanks "

Sounds like the repeaters have fired up your inner nerd?

My main piece of advice is to make sure you give them all the same password to log on- then you don't need to remember lots of the bloody things!

By *tephenBunChowMan
over a year ago

Haywards heath/Waterlooville

Using a tplink repeater. And works for my streaming needs and gazillion devices.

By *yron69 OP   Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Thanks all

By *abasaurus RexMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

As others have suggested.l really, but will repeat to add weight.

Most reliable is running a cable with a wireless access point attached at the other end (requires power at other end).

Switch to a mesh router system (easy, but ££).

Cheapest is adding a wireless access point (not hard wired) in the house installed as close as you can to the shed. WAP’s can be a bit flakey in my experience though. You could hard wire that to the main router though to improve reliability.

Post new Message to Thread