Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The (apparently) Big Debate

Jump to newest

By *ensuallover1000 OP   Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

I read earlier of an ostensibly rather heated discussion that featured on another website recently.

What exactly were they bickering about you may well ask?

Well, believe it or not, it stemmed simply from: ‘Do you wear shoes in your house?’

Apparently tempers frayed somewhat when this seemingly, entirely innocuous question, in turn led to commenters debating if was it right to ask visitors to take off their shoes in one’s home - a question in fact, which some commenters pointed out to be rude.

…..So good folks…..Let’s see if we are a more rational and level headed bunch on here…….

A) Do you wear your shoes in your house?

B) Do you ask visitors to remove theirs?

C) As a visitor to the homes of others, are you offended if the host asks you to remove your shoes?

Please discuss the intricacies of this apparently most contentious of subjects

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I prefer to be barefoot so I don't wear shoes around the flat but I don't ask visitors to remove their shoes.

I offer to remove my shoes in someone else's home but most of the time I think they'd prefer me to wear shoes than have to smell my stinky feet.

By *assing Fancies xCouple
over a year ago

Sherwood Forest

I (mrs) don't, I wear slippers I the house but Mr genuinely has a pair of "house" trainers. He even changes them if he needs to pop on the garden

By *hilledGuyClactonMan
over a year ago

Little clacton

I don't have any carpet,So don't mind ppl leaving shoes on.

I always wear socks (just don't like be barefooted)

By *handlerMonicaCouple
over a year ago

Leicester

Wouldn't take offence at all if asked to remove them. In fact we always offer when visiting somewhere/someone new.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"

A) Do you wear your shoes in your house? YES

B) Do you ask visitors to remove theirs? NO

C) As a visitor to the homes of others, are you offended if the host asks you to remove your shoes? NO

Clearly my friends are much less grubby than I am. I've got teens. And a dog.

"

By *ayHaychMan
over a year ago

Leeds (Home) / Sheffield (Work)

Shoes get left in the hallway. I ask others to do the same in my house. I would take my shoes off automatically out of habit in someone else’s house. If they said “no you have to keep shoes on here” I would do without being offended.

Respect other peoples houses and their choices. I wouldn’t get fired up over keeping shoes on or off.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

What season is it ?

over a year ago

I wear shoes in my house and also go barefoot as well.

I never ask anyone to take their shoes off when they are at mine I’m all for relaxed living and don’t treat anything in my house as precious nor do I got round licking my floors…(downstairs is all hard flooring)

I don’t offer to take my shoes off when I go to others houses but will happily do so if asked…

I do judge people with wall to wall cream/light carpets who are uptight about them getting a speck of dirt on them..they’re generally not my kind of people… and as such I have no friends like this.

over a year ago

This is clearly an antagonistic thread designed to create discord, sully friendships and divide families. I refuse to answer!

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

I lived in the Far East and it was standard practice to remove outdoor shoes and wear slippers on entry to a home.

over a year ago

I’ve had new flooring and carpet fitted so yes I take off my shoes and anyone who wants to get threw my front door will also need to do the same or don’t come in

over a year ago

"Shoes get left in the hallway. I ask others to do the same in my house. I would take my shoes off automatically out of habit in someone else’s house. If they said “no you have to keep shoes on here” I would do without being offended.

Respect other peoples houses and their choices. I wouldn’t get fired up over keeping shoes on or off. "

100% agree

By *uddy laneMan
over a year ago

dudley

"I read earlier of an ostensibly rather heated discussion that featured on another website recently.

Well, believe it or not, it stemmed simply from: ‘Do you wear shoes in your house?’

Apparently tempers frayed somewhat when this seemingly, entirely innocuous question, in turn led to commenters debating if was it right to ask visitors to take off their shoes in one’s home - a question in fact, which some commenters pointed out to be rude.

…..So good folks…..Let’s see if we are a more rational and level headed bunch on here…….

C) As a visitor to the homes of others, are you offended if the host asks you to remove your shoes?

Please discuss the intricacies of this apparently most contentious of subjects "

And those people have a right to vote. Lol

over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Believe it or not, the argument in question somehow transmogrified into a class debate at some point, with some citing ‘middle class privilege’(!)

Eh?!

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

I usually take mine off at home and I ask when visiting someone if I should or if see they aren't wearing any I just take mine off anyway

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

Generally take them off. Sometimes wear sliders, otherwise, bare

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

If it's been raining or someone has been somewhere muddy then it's common courtesy surely to take them off, especially if there's carpets?

Mine usually come off the second I walk through the door given they're often caked in god knows what.

But I wouldn't shout at anyone that didn't remove theirs. Unless they've trod in dogshit before walking in, in which case they'd best get on their knees and start scrubbing.

A

over a year ago

I always offer to take off my footwear at other peoples houses . I wear trainers a fair bit inside though as my photos show x

over a year ago

I dont wear shoes in the house i dont care if visitors do but will ask if they want me to take em off

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

Yes

No

No

Mr

By *ayHaychMan
over a year ago

Leeds (Home) / Sheffield (Work)

"I’ve had new flooring and carpet fitted so yes I take off my shoes and anyone who wants to get threw my front door will also need to do the same or don’t come in "

Nothing worse than a good carpet being ruined. Even after a deep clean it doesn’t feel clean enough!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We remove our shoes in our own and others homes. I don't care if visitors leave theirs on.

I don't understand people who insist visitors take their shoes off but go outside in their slippers.

By *RANDMRSJAECouple
over a year ago

chester

I always wear slippers & Mr wears trainers inside. We don’t always take our shoes off unless they’re work or dog walking shoes.

I never ask anyone to take them off, we don’t have carpet downstairs anyway.

When I was growing up everyone had to take their shoes off before getting through mums door!!!

By *lderflowerappleWoman
over a year ago

Basingstoke

I have pets, so always recommend that some form of footwear be worn... who knows what they'll have brought in without me noticing!

I always offer to remove my shoes at someone else's home - I'd hate to be responsible for walking something in to their place (not necessarily related to my furry friends, I hasten to add!) It's just polite to offer!

By *host63Man
over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

"I read earlier of an ostensibly rather heated discussion that featured on another website recently.

Please discuss the intricacies of this apparently most contentious of subjects "

It's someone's house they maje the rules it's polite to abide by them. I don't wear shoes in my house

By *B69Woman
over a year ago

Wiltshire

When you walk in my house there’s always piles of shoes there (kids always have friends round) so most automatically take theirs off, I never ask them to.

If I go round someone’s I always ask them if they want me too

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

You’re all filthy and depraved animals.

What were we talking about again?

By *i_guy_sloughMan
over a year ago

Langley

We have hardwood floors so are not particularly picky if a guest does not take their shoes off, we just run the mop round when they leave. I was brought up to always take my shoes off when entering someone else’s home and always do.

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I don’t have carpet anywhere downstairs so just no shoes upstairs for me. I do believe each to their own but I think if you regularly have people over for entertaining I find it a bit off to make people take their shoes off when it’s part of their outfit. My sis in law is 4 foot and always wears heels. She’d hate to have to take them off on what she would see as a night out. If you rarely have people over anyway then fair enough.

Just my opinion on the subject

over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Now not wishing to deliberately throw a spanner into the works so to speak, but does it annoy anyone if you happen to know that the visitor in question absolutely does not allow shoes on in their house but is very happy to wander around yours whilst wearing them?

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

A) Do you wear your shoes in your house? No

B) Do you ask visitors to remove theirs? Hardly ever need to as most take theirs off as I have mats to place shoes on.

C) As a visitor to the homes of others, are you offended if the host asks you to remove your shoes? Not at all.

over a year ago

"Now not wishing to deliberately throw a spanner into the works so to speak, but does it annoy anyone if you happen to know that the visitor in question absolutely does not allow shoes on in their house but is very happy to wander around yours whilst wearing them? "

If they aren’t prepared to take their shoes off I’d not allowed them in, harsh yes but your house your rules!!

Most of us will have paid out a small fortune on making our homes look nice so we potentially don’t want them to be ruined by dirty feet.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I wear my shoes through to the bedroom, where I remove them and put on slippers. My slippers never go outside and I have clogs for short outdoor things where it's a faff to get shoes.

I don't ask people to take off their shoes but if they do that's fine.

If asked, I do remove shoes, but I don't like to put bare feet on the floor so I will resent the request if I don't have socks on.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"I wear my shoes through to the bedroom, where I remove them and put on slippers. My slippers never go outside and I have clogs for short outdoor things where it's a faff to get shoes.

If asked, I do remove shoes, but I don't like to put bare feet on the floor so I will resent the request if I don't have socks on.

"

I can’t do bare feet either. I’d have to know in advance so I could put a pair of socks in my handbag

over a year ago

"I wear my shoes through to the bedroom, where I remove them and put on slippers. My slippers never go outside and I have clogs for short outdoor things where it's a faff to get shoes.

I can’t do bare feet either. I’d have to know in advance so I could put a pair of socks in my handbag "

I love being barefoot on a plush carpet but only if it’s my own as I don’t know what has been on someone else’s haha

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I can’t do bare feet either. I’d have to know in advance so I could put a pair of socks in my handbag

I love being barefoot on a plush carpet but only if it’s my own as I don’t know what has been on someone else’s haha "

Haha. I’m not too bad on carpet. Anything else I just can’t.

over a year ago

"I’ve had new flooring and carpet fitted so yes I take off my shoes and anyone who wants to get threw my front door will also need to do the same or don’t come in "

I'm the same. New carpet in my living room means no shoes for anyone in there. I'm not so bothered about normal (cleanish) shoes on the hard floors in the hall and kitchen but we're a biker family so dirty boots always come off at the door and the mop lives behind the door in winter.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Shoes off unless they don't have socks on

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

A) No I don’t wear shoes in my house. They come off as soon as I come in the door and I swap for comfy slippers

B) if they are only in my kitchen diner no, it’s a slate floor. If they come into the lounge they usually do anyway, I have cream deep pile carpets

C) no I wouldn’t be offended at all, it’s their home not mine. If I’m visiting over night with my gfs I’d take my slippers anyway

Even if I asked visitors to remove their shoes I would hope they would respect that and if they don’t they won’t visit again

over a year ago

No. No. No.

Sorted.

over a year ago

No I don't wear shoes inside mine or someone else's home, rude.

over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

I’m observing a few of you would prefer visitors to wear shoes over bare feet (unless covered by socks).

Pray share thy visiting, smelly, offensive feet horror stories….

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

I can’t do bare feet either. I’d have to know in advance so I could put a pair of socks in my handbag "

I take socks to therapy as tmy therapist has a shoes off rule. Maybe I should add socks to my just in case already full bag?

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"I’m observing a few of you would prefer visitors to wear shoes over bare feet (unless covered by socks).

Pray share thy visiting, smelly, offensive feet horror stories…. "

I'd be worried about verrucas.

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

I wear slippers or sandals indoors and rarely go barefoot unless it was on carpet. I wouldn't wear shoes indoor when visiting someone either

over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

"I’m observing a few of you would prefer visitors to wear shoes over bare feet (unless covered by socks).

Pray share thy visiting, smelly, offensive feet horror stories….

I'd be worried about verrucas."

Ahhh - good point

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Not sure which is worse. Shoes on my carpet or someone’s bare sweaty feet! So glad visitors don’t have to go upstairs

over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

"Not sure which is worse. Shoes on my carpet or someone’s bare sweaty feet! So glad visitors don’t have to go upstairs "

You’d have to follow them everywhere around the floor with a mop

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

A) Yes

B) No

C) No

By *ooBulMan
over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

Sometimes. But prefer to be bare foot.

No, that would be rude.

If asked, yes I would. Their house, their rules....

Or if I saw they had a light coloured carpet and my footwear may be wet or dirty or I may have stepped in mud. Most people have a door mat but not all. I would certainly ask though if they didn't say anything.

over a year ago

I’m very funny with feet so I would hope that they were wearing socks or else they would have to stay in my hallway or kitchen! Plenty of fun can be had in both

over a year ago

A) Do you wear your shoes in your house? - No, unless I quickly need to nip back in.

B) Do you ask visitors to remove theirs? No, but we have mainly laminate flooring. If we had nice carpet then it would be a different story.

C) As a visitor to the homes of others, are you offended if the host asks you to remove your shoes? Absolutely not, their house their rules. Although they never have to ask because I automatically remove my shoes when entering someone's home anyway

Miss S x

Post new Message to Thread