Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Gall Bladder Removal

Jump to newest

By *ickie1880 OP   Man
over a year ago

Kent

Hello Fabbers, has anyone had their gall bladder removed recently? Im due to have mine done and have my pre op in a few weeks. Im reading varying accounts of what it was like recovery wise and then how life was moving forward. I tend to be the unlucky sod who doesn't get key hole surgery, more of a gaping wound, so not sure how the body will copel. I know everyone is different and mine has to come out, but i was just curious what people experiences were, either personally or via close friends.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

Good luck mate ..and a quick recovery

By *uncherUKMan
over a year ago

Woodford

Good luck.

I’m waiting for a scan so just starting the journey...

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I had mine removed a while ago, I found it hard to stay standing for long periods soon after the op, I had to have 6 weeks off work, but generally it wasn't too bad, obviously the the first week ish was the worst

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My significant other had his removed. Nothing really changed except the bathroom habit now. He still able to eat what he did before.

By *ndy58Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

I had mine removed 2 years ago with keyhole surgery. I was pretty much OK by the next day but had to take it easy for a few weeks while everything healed up, although I was driving again after about 10 days. I heard a lot of stories about not being able to eat some high fat foods but I've gradually introduced everything I used to eat into my diet and for the last year I've eaten anything I want to. Bowel habits can be a bit irregular these days but nothing that causes me any problems.

By *reat me rightWoman
over a year ago

Rotherham

Hope everything goes well

I was told last year that mine needed to come out as an emergency. Its still in residence and it makes me even more convinced our hospital needs a bomb under it

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I had mine taken out almost 9 years ago. I had it done in the morning and was home by the evening (key hole surgery). I was more scared of going under anaesthetic than the actual surgery to be honest but was ok. I had a young baby and a toddler to look after at the time so I moved in with my mum for two weeks as I couldn’t do any lifting and no driving. The wounds healed well, no real pain after that I can remember.

The only lasting issue I have is toilet related, but I was warned about that before I had surgery and to be honest I’d rather that than the pain of a flare up, which was so bad it made me physically sick on a number of occasions.

I don’t know what non keyhole recovery would be like, but they do these ops fairly routinely so try not to worry about it, they know what they are doing.

I wish you well

Post new Message to Thread