Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The menopausal years

Jump to newest

By *icketysplits OP   Woman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I have been thinking about sex the female menopause a lot recently.

There has been a lot more discussion and celebrities leading the way on talking about how the menopause has affected them but I haven't seen the stories about how their partners and family have been affected. I am sure those tales will come, in due course.

My perimenopause started in my mid/late 30s and I had an immediate menopause almost 15 years ago. The effects of that lasted about 7 years. My libido was not affected and I haven't experience vulva dryness or itchiness until this year. I haven't had a partner going through the experience with me.

Over the years, I have observed that quite a lot of the male mid-life crisis sex and affairs is linked to their partner's menopause. Feeling rejected, frustrated at a loss of sexual intimacy and affection, and not having the tools to navigate this.

Joining Fab, I unexpectedly found more older (assumed menopausal) women seeking sex (and affection?) away from their partners. And, older couples where the drive is pleasure for the woman.

I'm interested in learning how men navigate their partner's menopause.

I'm interested in learning about women's sex drive and emotional response to their menopause.

I'm interested in tips for retaining a juicy vulva.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

My ex wife went full MLC. New boobs, plastic surgery, new car, new fella, sold the house etc.

As a man, we'll never truly understand. I've forgiven her, but she can't talk about it, and forgets lots of things about that seven year period.

She also experienced wild fluctuations in sexual needs, varying from every few hours to weeks.

I hope you're OK though

By *orkcoastguyMan
over a year ago

Bridlington.

Menopause does seem to affect women in different ways. For some it's a liberation sexually and socially, while for others it's a source of real misery.

That misery is of course shared by their partner. In my case to seperation, much against my will. Hence my now being on here as a solo guy!

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"Menopause does seem to affect women in different ways. For some it's a liberation sexually and socially, while for others it's a source of real misery.

That misery is of course shared by their partner. In my case to seperation, much against my will. Hence my now being on here as a solo guy!"

Ditto

over a year ago

"My ex wife went full MLC. New boobs, plastic surgery, new car, new fella, sold the house etc.

As a man, we'll never truly understand. I've forgiven her, but she can't talk about it, and forgets lots of things about that seven year period.

She also experienced wild fluctuations in sexual needs, varying from every few hours to weeks.

I hope you're OK though "

I know the menopause is euphemistically called the change but your ex took it as an instruction! I hope that she found her new self.

You say that 'she can't talk about it' and that you have forgiven her but have you talked about your experience? Was there anyone to hear you? I can imagine feeling rejection when your partner chooses someone else.

over a year ago

"Menopause does seem to affect women in different ways. For some it's a liberation sexually and socially, while for others it's a source of real misery.

That misery is of course shared by their partner. In my case to seperation, much against my will. Hence my now being on here as a solo guy!"

Was there anyone you could talk to about your misery? Was separation a joint decision?

Of course, share only what is safe and comfortable to share. Thanks for posting at all.

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"My ex wife went full MLC. New boobs, plastic surgery, new car, new fella, sold the house etc.

I hope you're OK though

I know the menopause is euphemistically called the change but your ex took it as an instruction! I hope that she found her new self.

You say that 'she can't talk about it' and that you have forgiven her but have you talked about your experience? Was there anyone to hear you? I can imagine feeling rejection when your partner chooses someone else.

"

I had good friends. Her family just looked away. She doesn't want to know what it felt like for me. A mixture of embarrassment and regret, I presume. She shuts down all conversation about it.

Also, the projection of everything she did was made to be my fault, was a bit daunting. I'm not afraid to admit, I seeked counselling.

over a year ago

I hope you're OK though

I had good friends. Her family just looked away. She doesn't want to know what it felt like for me. A mixture of embarrassment and regret, I presume. She shuts down all conversation about it.

Also, the projection of everything she did was made to be my fault, was a bit daunting. I'm not afraid to admit, I seeked counselling.

"

Never be afraid to admit seeking help. I hope counselling helped.

I wonder how many go into couples counselling because of the menopause?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

"

Moisturise thoroughly at least daily with an appropriate product.

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

I hope you're OK though

"

We tried that, but as she didn't/couldn't understand what was driving her to be so destructive, that failed.

Trying to hold three kids together, a job and deal with all the whacky stuff going on was a challenge.

A simple thing, like .e reading g a book to my son, would throw her into a rage. It was a horrible time. Time is, however, a great healer

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

It was an interesting time, big learning curve for myself as the bloke and whilst it certainly wasn't without times of worry it was something we sort of got on with..

Perhaps we were fortunate..

over a year ago

"

Moisturise thoroughly at least daily with an appropriate product. "

I heard a doctor explaining how easy it is to have a vulval tear

I moisturise everywhere daily. I could do with a handsy applicator, on occasion.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

I moisturise everywhere daily. I could do with a handsy applicator, on occasion."

Yep, especially post menopause. I'm sure you'll have many offers of a handsy applicator after this

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"

I moisturise everywhere daily. I could do with a handsy applicator, on occasion."

You're gorgeous and good fun. I'm sure a local applicant will be scripting his CV as I type

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Perhaps a conflict of interest of sorts but I work within women’s health.

Local estrogen (in the media this is what’s now being reported as the HRT sold over the counter) helps with dryness. The brand Yes (Superdrug or online purchase) sells a vaginal moisturiser that can help with day to day dryness. Cotton underwear helps as it allows the area to breathe as such.

Personally, having covid and long covid thrust me in to an early menopause so I’ve had to quite literally listen to and take my own medicine.

"I have been thinking about sex the female menopause a lot recently.

There has been a lot more discussion and celebrities leading the way on talking about how the menopause has affected them but I haven't seen the stories about how their partners and family have been affected. I am sure those tales will come, in due course.

My perimenopause started in my mid/late 30s and I had an immediate menopause almost 15 years ago. The effects of that lasted about 7 years. My libido was not affected and I haven't experience vulva dryness or itchiness until this year. I haven't had a partner going through the experience with me.

Over the years, I have observed that quite a lot of the male mid-life crisis sex and affairs is linked to their partner's menopause. Feeling rejected, frustrated at a loss of sexual intimacy and affection, and not having the tools to navigate this.

Joining Fab, I unexpectedly found more older (assumed menopausal) women seeking sex (and affection?) away from their partners. And, older couples where the drive is pleasure for the woman.

I'm interested in learning how men navigate their partner's menopause.

I'm interested in learning about women's sex drive and emotional response to their menopause.

"

over a year ago

"It was an interesting time, big learning curve for myself as the bloke and whilst it certainly wasn't without times of worry it was something we sort of got on with..

Perhaps we were fortunate.. "

Or, you managed to do the work in a way that helped you retain your connection. Whatever it was, congratulations. Thanks for sharing.

Again, an outsider obvious that love alone isn't enough. I'm interested in working out what are the other factors.

An old friend said that she and her husband are 'comfortable' now. When they were younger I remember the pain of their affairs and none of us would have thought they'd make it to 35 years together. They seem happy with their 'comfortable'.

over a year ago

I hope you're OK though

We tried that, but as she didn't/couldn't understand what was driving her to be so destructive, that failed.

Trying to hold three kids together, a job and deal with all the whacky stuff going on was a challenge.

A simple thing, like .e reading g a book to my son, would throw her into a rage. It was a horrible time. Time is, however, a great healer "

Thank you for the point on why couples counselling failed. It's very insightful.

By *ellinever70Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

"

Again, an outsider obvious that love alone isn't enough. I'm interested in working out what are the other factors.

"

Compromise and a change in expectations, I'd imagine

over a year ago

"Perhaps a conflict of interest of sorts but I work within women’s health.

Local estrogen (in the media this is what’s now being reported as the HRT sold over the counter) helps with dryness. The brand Yes (Superdrug or online purchase) sells a vaginal moisturiser that can help with day to day dryness. Cotton underwear helps as it allows the area to breathe as such.

Personally, having covid and long covid thrust me in to an early menopause so I’ve had to quite literally listen to and take my own medicine.

"

That's not a conflict of interest, it's offering us your expertise.

I'm sorry that Covid has thrust you into an early menopause. I hope it is a short one and you come out the other side a healthy, happy, sexually confident woman.

over a year ago

"

Compromise and a change in expectations, I'd imagine "

Definitely, but humans can find compromise difficult when they are hurting.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"It was an interesting time, big learning curve for myself as the bloke and whilst it certainly wasn't without times of worry it was something we sort of got on with..

Or, you managed to do the work in a way that helped you retain your connection. Whatever it was, congratulations. Thanks for sharing.

An old friend said that she and her husband are 'comfortable' now. When they were younger I remember the pain of their affairs and none of us would have thought they'd make it to 35 years together. They seem happy with their 'comfortable'."

Thank you, it was an eye opener for myself as the male yes as I was largely ignorant of the process even though my mum and aunties went through it..

It's good that there seems to be less stigma maybe about such things as having the conversation collectively can only help..

Comfortable is an interesting description, content and fulfilled too might be part despite the troughs and peaks of it after nigh on 39 yrs ..

over a year ago

An old friend said that she and her husband are 'comfortable' now. When they were younger I remember the pain of their affairs and none of us would have thought they'd make it to 35 years together. They seem happy with their 'comfortable'.

Thank you, it was an eye opener for myself as the male yes as I was largely ignorant of the process even though my mum and aunties went through it..

It's good that there seems to be less stigma maybe about such things as having the conversation collectively can only help..

Comfortable is an interesting description, content and fulfilled too might be part despite the troughs and peaks of it after nigh on 39 yrs .."

Content and fulfilled sounds as near to perfect as any of us could hope for.

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

I think Davina should consider a C4 documentary about how it affects relationships/marriages/men and how to cope through it, the signs and perhaps counselling.

Whilst it’s a tremendous bug bear for most women there is nothing out there educational in menopause and men!

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Bear in mind the over the counter oestrogen products contain a VERY SMALL amount compared to the prescription versions of it

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"I think Davina should consider a C4 documentary about how it affects relationships/marriages/men and how to cope through it, the signs and perhaps counselling.

Whilst it’s a tremendous bug bear for most women there is nothing out there educational in menopause and men! "

That's a great idea. To be honest, my ex w was well off the richter scale when we split, sadly

By *ellinever70Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

"I think Davina should consider a C4 documentary about how it affects relationships/marriages/men and how to cope through it, the signs and perhaps counselling.

Whilst it’s a tremendous bug bear for most women there is nothing out there educational in menopause and men! "

Perhaps that's because the resources are scarce so more targeted at women.

The information is available to all to access

over a year ago

It's part of the reason I decided to start the thread. I suspect there will be another documentary which looks at relationships.

over a year ago

Whilst it’s a tremendous bug bear for most women there is nothing out there educational in menopause and men!

The information is available to all to access "

Men are notoriously bad at accessing health information for themselves, even worse around mental and emotional help.

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

Men are notoriously bad at accessing health information for themselves, even worse around mental and emotional help.

"

I found a website which was mainly fir trying to save your marriage, but did have sections about MLC and menopause. It's American based, but helped me find a locally based friend going through the same thing.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

Was going to say that and agree totally, on the whole we are terrible often to our own detriment..

Only time I've ever read a medicines leaflet was when the vet prescribed eye drops for one of the dogs..

Perhaps given the effects of the menopause do affect albeit to a much lesser degree then there might be some benefit in targeted information for blokes..

over a year ago

Just following as interested as I must be about approaching these years and been following it alot on socials.

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

I tried getting her those herbal remedies, as she wouldn't go to the doctors. Well, that ended badly with violence towards me (we never raised our voices, so this came as a surprise).

As she never accepted there was any problem, I never thought of going to my doctor. I did counselling, but I was a hot mess of emotions. I lost four stone and went grey virtually overnight

over a year ago

"Just following as interested as I must be about approaching these years and been following it alot on socials. "

Your best indication is knowing when your mother and maternal aunts went through their menopause. It helps to know.

India Rakusen's 28 ish Days Later on BBC Sounds is worth a listen. It covers the menstrual cycle and the phases from menarche to menopause.

I didn't know the fallopian tubes aren't attached to the ovaries. No one covered that when I was learning about female biology decades ago.

over a year ago

"I tried getting her those herbal remedies, as she wouldn't go to the doctors. Well, that ended badly with violence towards me (we never raised our voices, so this came as a surprise).

As she never accepted there was any problem, I never thought of going to my doctor. I did counselling, but I was a hot mess of emotions. I lost four stone and went grey virtually overnight "

Not all herbal remedies are equal, and there can be adverse reactions if mixed with other medications.

I'm sorry you experienced violence and such an extreme weight loss.

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

There still are NOT ENOUGH menopause ambassadors in the work place either!

I’ve been bleating about it on our monthly team meeting

over a year ago

"There still are NOT ENOUGH menopause ambassadors in the work place either!

I’ve been bleating about it on our monthly team meeting "

Keep at it. That campaign has only been going for 2 or 3 years. It will take time.

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"I tried getting her those herbal remedies, as she wouldn't go to the doctors. Well, that ended badly with violence towards me (we never raised our voices, so this came as a surprise).

As she never accepted there was any problem, I never thought of going to my doctor. I did counselling, but I was a hot mess of emotions. I lost four stone and went grey virtually overnight

Not all herbal remedies are equal, and there can be adverse reactions if mixed with other medications.

I'm sorry you experienced violence and such an extreme weight loss."

The only thing that returned

By *ilf and old fartCouple
over a year ago

Between Ely and Mildenhall

For us, Milf going through the menopause was extremely difficult and for her totally unexpected for medical reasons. At times I thought that I was living with a Tasmanian she devil crossed with a fire breathing dragon (that was on a good day) and at times she'd just tell me that she "couldn't be arsed" (her words) with our relationship or with me.

Other times was totally different, crying, emotional, needing hugs and reassurance etc.

I found the emotional detachment that she could express a new experience and very difficult to understand.

It drove me batty trying to work out how someone could be holding me like she didn't want to ever let go one minute but could change like a switch had clicked and look at me like I was something that she'd stepped in. It was an extremely trying time in our lives.

Sex stopped for nearly 2 years. She had no interest in sex at all, to the point where she threw all of her vibrators and sex toys into the bin. We still shared the same bed and she always wanted a cuddle before we went to sleep. She repeatedly told me that she loved me and we'd get through it and I knew that the menopause causes major issues for a female so I just did what I could do to support and help her.

She's my wife (that one small word contains so many feelings and emotions that it's not really sufficient to use to describe one person but its who she is) So I did what I could, never strayed, never had a single guys profile, she was more important than a quick fuck elsewhere.

I kept as much stress from her as I could manage and just made sure that she always knew that at the end of it, she had a husband who wanted her if she still wanted him

We're still together

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"For us, Milf going through the menopause was extremely difficult and for her totally unexpected for medical reasons. At times I thought that I was living with a Tasmanian she devil crossed with a fire breathing dragon (that was on a good day) and at times she'd just tell me that she "couldn't be arsed" (her words) with our relationship or with me.

Other times was totally different, crying, emotional, needing hugs and reassurance etc.

I found the emotional detachment that she could express a new experience and very difficult to understand.

It drove me batty trying to work out how someone could be holding me like she didn't want to ever let go one minute but could change like a switch had clicked and look at me like I was something that she'd stepped in. It was an extremely trying time in our lives.

Sex stopped for nearly 2 years. She had no interest in sex at all, to the point where she threw all of her vibrators and sex toys into the bin. We still shared the same bed and she always wanted a cuddle before we went to sleep. She repeatedly told me that she loved me and we'd get through it and I knew that the menopause causes major issues for a female so I just did what I could do to support and help her.

She's my wife (that one small word contains so many feelings and emotions that it's not really sufficient to use to describe one person but its who she is) So I did what I could, never strayed, never had a single guys profile, she was more important than a quick fuck elsewhere.

I kept as much stress from her as I could manage and just made sure that she always knew that at the end of it, she had a husband who wanted her if she still wanted him

We're still together

"

This I like to hear

over a year ago

"For us, Milf going through the menopause was extremely difficult and for her totally unexpected for medical reasons. At times I thought that I was living with a Tasmanian she devil crossed with a fire breathing dragon (that was on a good day) and at times she'd just tell me that she "couldn't be arsed" (her words) with our relationship or with me.

We're still together

"

Thanks for sharing. Congratulations for making it through. You didn't write it, but I read that she still wants the husband who wanted her.

over a year ago

I’m perimenopausal and have been for the past 2-3years! I need hrt but trying to access that to help balance my moods has been challenging to say the least.

I go through phases of feeling super sexual and empowered to feelings of being worthless and past my best and nobody would want the messed up confused me.

Womens health unfortunately is not a priority in the NHS….

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

We're still together

"

That’s so lovely

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"I’m perimenopausal and have been for the past 2-3years! I need hrt but trying to access that to help balance my moods has been challenging to say the least.

I go through phases of feeling super sexual and empowered to feelings of being worthless and past my best and nobody would want the messed up confused me.

Womens health unfortunately is not a priority in the NHS…. "

Change your GP!

over a year ago

in Lancashire

We're still together

"

Great to hear ..

By *essiCouple
over a year ago

suffolk

We're still together

"

So lovely to hear this..

over a year ago

"I’m perimenopausal and have been for the past 2-3years! I need hrt but trying to access that to help balance my moods has been challenging to say the least.

Easier said than done unfortunately.., friends in the same city but different gp’s are experiencing the same!

Change your GP!"

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

Easier said than done unfortunately.., friends in the same city but different gp’s are experiencing the same!

Change your GP!"

My ex w's mood went from loving me to hating me, and everything we'd done, in a blink of an eye. Truly frightening

By *uicy 2020Woman
over a year ago

London

Thank you to all who have posted on this thread.

I am at the age where i know this is an inevitability, and possibly sooner rather than later. My Mum told me that hers wasnt too bad, so hoping mine will be too. I have mental health issues already so am really worried that they will be exacerbated.

Thank you for sharing your experiences, it needs to be ralked about more x

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"Thank you to all who have posted on this thread.

I am at the age where i know this is an inevitability, and possibly sooner rather than later. My Mum told me that hers wasnt too bad, so hoping mine will be too. I have mental health issues already so am really worried that they will be exacerbated.

Thank you for sharing your experiences, it needs to be ralked about more x "

Experience shared makes it easier to reach out. Always available to be messaged

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

In my first experience of a menopausal partner there were issues with intimacy for years prior. In that instance she displayed a small drop in libido but really not hugely significant. It did however become a cast iron reason for not being able to resolve the preexisting intimacy issues - indeed, according to her, it made it pointless to even try.

I am with a new partner now, several years into the menopause, again there have been some physical symptoms and occasional dips in mood but no loss of libido

Mr

over a year ago

This is a really great post for sharing how the menopause can be a life changing experience for all. I hope the awareness & support for both women & their partners/families keeps growing.

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"This is a really great post for sharing how the menopause can be a life changing experience for all. I hope the awareness & support for both women & their partners/families keeps growing. "

Wonder if it could be made a resource?

over a year ago

"This is a really great post for sharing how the menopause can be a life changing experience for all. I hope the awareness & support for both women & their partners/families keeps growing.

Wonder if it could be made a resource?"

Do you mean here or something more widely accessible?

I might send a message to Woman's Hour to do this, and even better if the changes to WH hasn't axed the occasional Man's Hour joint show.

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"This is a really great post for sharing how the menopause can be a life changing experience for all. I hope the awareness & support for both women & their partners/families keeps growing.

Wonder if it could be made a resource?

Do you mean here or something more widely accessible?

I might send a message to Woman's Hour to do this, and even better if the changes to WH hasn't axed the occasional Man's Hour joint show."

Either. I think it's hidden from most people. Thanks for bringing the subject forward

Post new Message to Thread