Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Women jogging at Night

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

The Samsung advert which was criticized by some groups by portraying a woman running at night and being unrealistic about the dangers women face at night has been cleared by advertising watchdogs. Tom liked the music and the ad.

Will we see it again or should it be shelved.

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Get it back on the telly. Women are safe to jog through cities at night with earphones in. Mad that it was ever under review.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Who let her out the kitchen to go jog???

Reply privately

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Women just like the attention

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

It's just an advert

Reply privately

over a year ago

Some people seem determined to live small lives filled with fear and mistrust.

That is their choice.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Some people seem determined to live small lives filled with fear and mistrust.

That is their choice. "

It is not a choice for many as the fear is very real.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Women just like the attention "

You are jocking right?

Reply privately

over a year ago

We run at night all through the winter but my wife would never do it in the dark alone.

The complaints about the advert were dumb though.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"We run at night all through the winter but my wife would never do it in the dark alone.

The complaints about the advert were dumb though."

I don't think they were dumb, I think the advert came out Not long after Ashling Murphy was murdered whilst out jogging. She was jogging during the day but I think some felt it was poor timing Especially as at the time women were being advised not to go out jogging alone particularly at night.

Reply privately

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

"Women just like the attention

You are jocking right?"

Did it make you laugh?

If not then it wasn’t a very good joke

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"The Samsung advert which was criticized by some groups by portraying a woman running at night and being unrealistic about the dangers women face at night has been cleared by advertising watchdogs. Tom liked the music and the ad.

Will we see it again or should it be shelved. "

Jogging?

They should have teamed up with the guys from Tampax and then she could have done something way more exciting than jogging... like snowboarding, roller skating or mountain climbing.....

A

Reply privately

over a year ago

You are jocking right?

Did it make you laugh?

If not then it wasn’t a very good joke "

To be honest it didn't make me laugh because I didn't think it was funny because women have been murdered whilst out jogging.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The Samsung advert which was criticized by some groups by portraying a woman running at night and being unrealistic about the dangers women face at night has been cleared by advertising watchdogs. Tom liked the music and the ad.

Jogging?

They should have teamed up with the guys from Tampax and then she could have done something way more exciting than jogging... like snowboarding, roller skating or mountain climbing.....

A"

The intention of the advert was about women reclaiming the streets and feeling safe as well as promoting a smart watch.

Reply privately

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Even I'm scared to go for a walk at night in fear of becoming a statistic. I can't imagine the very real fear women must face and advertisers really need to do their research to make sure what they're putting out isn't stupidly out of touch

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Jogging?

A

The intention of the advert was about women reclaiming the streets and feeling safe as well as promoting a smart watch. "

Couldn't they reclaim a mountain?

And the smart watch could be used to tell them how high they are or to call for help if a passing mountain goat chewed through their rope and they fell.

Would save them chewing off their own arm like that bloke in that film.....

I think Samsung have missed a trick.

A

Reply privately

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

You are jocking right?

Did it make you laugh?

To be honest it didn't make me laugh because I didn't think it was funny because women have been murdered whilst out jogging. "

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn’t aware of the risks posed to women, be they out jogging at night or not. Perhaps they should do more to advertise it

Reply privately

over a year ago

Whatever people's views, women are more vulnerable out at night time. Please respect and consider this

Reply privately

over a year ago

Jogging?

A

The intention of the advert was about women reclaiming the streets and feeling safe as well as promoting a smart watch.

And the smart watch could be used to tell them how high they are or to call for help if a passing mountain goat chewed through their rope and they fell.

A"

No because women haven't recently been murdered just for walking up a mountain have they? They have however for daring to walk alone at night! This is very real for women and not something to be made fun of. A woman was murdered less than 3 miles away from my house 4 weeks ago simply Because she walked home from a night out. 2 weeks ago a warning was put out by local police for women not to walk in a local park alone as there had been several reports of a man approaching lone women and trying to touch them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"We run at night all through the winter but my wife would never do it in the dark alone.

I don't think they were dumb, I think the advert came out Not long after Ashling Murphy was murdered whilst out jogging. She was jogging during the day but I think some felt it was poor timing Especially as at the time women were being advised not to go out jogging alone particularly at night. "

They were dumb. Like women are too stupid to make decisions for themselves.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Selling the Samsung brand... Samsung... Perfect for the unaware who think its safe for women to run on their own in the dark in quiet streets. Nice one

Reply privately

over a year ago

You are jocking right?

Did it make you laugh?

To be honest it didn't make me laugh because I didn't think it was funny because women have been murdered whilst out jogging.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn’t aware of the risks posed to women, be they out jogging at night or not. Perhaps they should do more to advertise it "

If you are a woman you don't need it advertising as you are already very aware of the risks.

Reply privately

over a year ago

When the ad was released, recent research by Sport England showed that one in five women felt at risk exercising.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/60670632

I think the reaction and the complaints had some merit.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I used to have trouble sleeping and would regularly go for walks in the middle of the night. I know many women (my wife included) don’t feel safe doing the same and I think this is a real problem.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don't think they were dumb, I think the advert came out Not long after Ashling Murphy was murdered whilst out jogging. She was jogging during the day but I think some felt it was poor timing Especially as at the time women were being advised not to go out jogging alone particularly at night.

They were dumb. Like women are too stupid to make decisions for themselves."

OK you need to be careful because you are sounding a little misogynistic. It has been explained to you why at the time it was controversial but you decided to follow that up with women are too stupid to make their own decisions!

Reply privately

over a year ago

That is their choice.

"

Fear is imagination ergo not real.

Reply privately

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Wow. Lots of bridges missing their trolls tonight huh.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

OK you need to be careful because you are sounding a little misogynistic. It has been explained to you why at the time it was controversial but you decided to follow that up with women are too stupid to make their own decisions!"

lol you were so desperate to jump on whatever I said that you completely misread what I'd written.

Try again

Reply privately

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

That is their choice.

Fear is imagination ergo not real. "

What about the numerous women murdered just for walking, jogging, existing on a pavement when out and about? Pretty sure that's very fucking real

Reply privately

over a year ago

That is their choice.

Fear is imagination ergo not real. "

No it really isn't. I'm assuming you have never been walking home alone at night and had a man try to persuade you to get into his car, Even touching you or putting your his arm round you when you have ignored him, Or been sworn at and called every name under the sun because you spurned his ddvances or Had him expose his penis to you. The fear is very real and should not be dismissed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

OK you need to be careful because you are sounding a little misogynistic. It has been explained to you why at the time it was controversial but you decided to follow that up with women are too stupid to make their own decisions!

lol you were so desperate to jump on whatever I said that you completely misread what I'd written.

Try again "

No because it was mainly women who were objecting to the advert for reasons I have already pointed out.

Reply privately

over a year ago

That is their choice.

Fear is imagination ergo not real. No it really isn't. I'm assuming you have never been walking home alone at night and had a man try to persuade you to get into his car, Even touching you or putting your his arm round you when you have ignored him, Or been sworn at and called every name under the sun because you spurned his ddvances or Had him expose his penis to you. The fear is very real and should not be dismissed. "

Being fearful of things is a human condition and a hang up from our animalistic conditioned responses.

I’ve how you like.

Be fearful.

Enjoy

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Jogging?

A

A

No because women haven't recently been murdered just for walking up a mountain have they? They have however for daring to walk alone at night! This is very real for women and not something to be made fun of. A woman was murdered less than 3 miles away from my house 4 weeks ago simply Because she walked home from a night out. 2 weeks ago a warning was put out by local police for women not to walk in a local park alone as there had been several reports of a man approaching lone women and trying to touch them. "

Right.

I thought the tone of my post was pretty obvious in it's 'lets take the piss out of samsung' nature.

I wasn't being serious for a second. Perhaps I should have been more obvious.

The advert is as clueless as the Tampax one I included. It's giving a false impression of a product magically changing reality and providing a solution to a problem that exists in real life. The Tampax ad at the time recieved criticism for giving the impression that by simply choosing that brand women would no longer have to worry about participating in extreme sports whilst on their periods, when in reality people called them out for talking bollocks at the time. Much like Samsung are attempting to portray their products as a solution to another issue women face, when in reality again it's complete bollocks.

Fuck me. Not sure why I felt I had to explain that but hey.....until there's a neon sign emoji that says "this is not a serious comment" I guess sometimes people will have to.

A

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Try again

No because it was mainly women who were objecting to the advert for reasons I have already pointed out. "

No because you claimed I'd said women were stupid when in fact I'd argued the opposite.

There are plenty of women who run in the dark. My guess is that most of those complaining haven't done a great deal of running at any time of day.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

That is their choice.

Fear is imagination ergo not real. No it really isn't. I'm assuming you have never been walking home alone at night and had a man try to persuade you to get into his car, Even touching you or putting your his arm round you when you have ignored him, Or been sworn at and called every name under the sun because you spurned his ddvances or Had him expose his penis to you. The fear is very real and should not be dismissed.

Being fearful of things is a human condition and a hang up from our animalistic conditioned responses.

I’ve how you like.

Be fearful.

Enjoy "

Be fearful, enjoy!

Come on, are you suggesting that women and girls are not concerned about their safety when on their own at night? No need to be unpleasant.

Reply privately

over a year ago

OK you need to be careful because you are sounding a little misogynistic. It has been explained to you why at the time it was controversial but you decided to follow that up with women are too stupid to make their own decisions!"

I think he’s trying to say the opposite. That women will make their own minds up and not be influenced by an advert. I certainly will. I must add that I haven’t seen the advert so I’m unable to comment on it beyond it does sound like bad timing.

Reply privately

over a year ago

They were dumb. Like women are too stupid to make decisions for themselves."

Some of the complaints were along those lines. But some of them pointed that it was tone deaf given the justifiable concerns women have and Aishling's murder. All the women I know would be wary of walking at night much less 2am with headphones.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Try again

No because it was mainly women who were objecting to the advert for reasons I have already pointed out.

No because you claimed I'd said women were stupid when in fact I'd argued the opposite.

There are plenty of women who run in the dark. My guess is that most of those complaining haven't done a great deal of running at any time of day.

"

I've read some of what women have said about it on Twitter - why're you doubting that they're women who actually run?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Some of the complaints were along those lines. But some of them pointed that it was tone deaf given the justifiable concerns women have and Aishling's murder. All the women I know would be wary of walking at night much less 2am with headphones. "

Most the men I know would be.

But the solution to making women feel safe at night isn't to ban adverts promoting running.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think he’s trying to say the opposite. That women will make their own minds up and not be influenced by an advert. I certainly will. I must add that I haven’t seen the advert so I’m unable to comment on it beyond it does sound like bad timing. "

Maybe I miss read it, it's just a very sensitive subject at the moment because a woman in our community was murdered 4 weeks ago. I think as I and others have pointed out it wasn't the advert as such just the timing that was a problem.

Reply privately

By *mp411Man
over a year ago

chester

With the criminal gangs and other foreign guests oh and of course the police who all seem to like, abusing and murdering women Especially when they can't find any children.... I think we all should be allowed to carry a gun for self defence

Reply privately

over a year ago

"With the criminal gangs and other foreign guests oh and of course the police who all seem to like, abusing and murdering women Especially when they can't find any children.... I think we all should be allowed to carry a gun for self defence "

OK I don't understand the relevance of that to the Samsung advert and why some people Thought it was in poor taste.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think he’s trying to say the opposite. That women will make their own minds up and not be influenced by an advert. I certainly will. I must add that I haven’t seen the advert so I’m unable to comment on it beyond it does sound like bad timing.

Maybe I miss read it, it's just a very sensitive subject at the moment because a woman in our community was murdered 4 weeks ago. I think as I and others have pointed out it wasn't the advert as such just the timing that was a problem. "

Yes it definitely sounds like it. Stay safe x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Maybe I miss read it, it's just a very sensitive subject at the moment because a woman in our community was murdered 4 weeks ago. I think as I and others have pointed out it wasn't the advert as such just the timing that was a problem. "

Reply privately

By *mp411Man
over a year ago

chester

"With the criminal gangs and other foreign guests oh and of course the police who all seem to like, abusing and murdering women Especially when they can't find any children.... I think we all should be allowed to carry a gun for self defence

OK I don't understand the relevance of that to the Samsung advert and why some people Thought it was in poor taste. "

My point being if we have a means to protect ourselves people would feel safe to jog at night in the dark or even walk home after visiting a friend or family like poor Sarah Everard

Reply privately

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"With the criminal gangs and other foreign guests oh and of course the police who all seem to like, abusing and murdering women Especially when they can't find any children.... I think we all should be allowed to carry a gun for self defence "

I would be very afraid if certain people were allowed a gun.

Reply privately

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"With the criminal gangs and other foreign guests oh and of course the police who all seem to like, abusing and murdering women Especially when they can't find any children.... I think we all should be allowed to carry a gun for self defence

OK I don't understand the relevance of that to the Samsung advert and why some people Thought it was in poor taste.

My point being if we have a means to protect ourselves people would feel safe to jog at night in the dark or even walk home after visiting a friend or family like poor Sarah Everard "

Having a gun in your handbag won't help if you're jumped from behind.

Reply privately

over a year ago

No way. I completely disagree.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Maybe I miss read it, it's just a very sensitive subject at the moment because a woman in our community was murdered 4 weeks ago. I think as I and others have pointed out it wasn't the advert as such just the timing that was a problem.

"

I have always felt fairly safe walking alone. However recently there has been 2 high profile incidents in the space of a month in my local area where women just going about their normal daily business have been attacked by a stranger. The advice from the police is always the same, Be vigilant and where possible don't walk alone but that advice makes me feel less safe if that makes sense. I get the premise of The Adverts that women should be free to run/walk the streets and I also understand why some felt it was an appropriate.

Reply privately

over a year ago

My point being if we have a means to protect ourselves people would feel safe to jog at night in the dark or even walk home after visiting a friend or family like poor Sarah Everard "

As we have seen in America owning a gun does not make you more safe, As we see in this country carrying a knife does not make you more safe.

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Because that works so well in the USA....

So you'd want to put guns in the hands of people who currently don't have them to make them feel safer? So you have no worries that the wrong people could access guns and use them to attack, harm and kill others?

Really???

A

Reply privately

over a year ago

Some of the complaints were along those lines. But some of them pointed that it was tone deaf given the justifiable concerns women have and Aishling's murder. All the women I know would be wary of walking at night much less 2am with headphones.

Most the men I know would be.

But the solution to making women feel safe at night isn't to ban adverts promoting running."

I don't think anyone suggested it was a solution. There's got to be 100 other better ways to promote running (and it was promoting Samsung's tech anyway).

Reply privately

By *mp411Man
over a year ago

chester

I would be very afraid if certain people were allowed a gun."

As Samuel colt said God made man I made them equal... The point is any potential attacker would think twice with the possibility of the potential victim being armed

Reply privately

over a year ago

I would be very afraid if certain people were allowed a gun."

This is the problem. If everyone is allowed to carry a gun, even those who wouldn't have thought to will want one to protect themselves from those they think that shouldn't.

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

As Samuel colt said God made man I made them equal... The point is any potential attacker would think twice with the possibility of the potential victim being armed "

No.

Any potential attacker would just carry a gun in case the person they planned to attack had one.

Do you really think that in America anyone attacking someone with a gun, knife or any other weapon gives them fair warning of what's about to happen?

Have people learned nothing from the daily gunfights in America? You really want to replicate that here?

A

Reply privately

over a year ago

As Samuel colt said God made man I made them equal... The point is any potential attacker would think twice with the possibility of the potential victim being armed "

Having an identical gun does not make you the equal of the person who can use it more effectively or is prepared to simply shoot you in the back.

Reply privately

By *mp411Man
over a year ago

chester

My point being if we have a means to protect ourselves people would feel safe to jog at night in the dark or even walk home after visiting a friend or family like poor Sarah Everard

So you'd want to put guns in the hands of people who currently don't have them to make them feel safer? So you have no worries that the wrong people could access guns and use them to attack, harm and kill others?

Really???

A"

But the "wrong people" being criminals don't by definition care about laws are carrying knives and other weapons including guns already so allowing any potential victim to be armed negates the threat

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’ve always jogged alone at night/evening. I keep one headphone out and before I leave I let my best friend (who lives a few streets over) that I’m going for a run and where I’m running. Then I call when I get home.

The rule is that if I don’t call in an hour, he calls me. If I don’t answer then it an emergency and he tracks my phone.

Nothing has ever happened, but there is nothing wrong or shameful with having a contingency plan and making sure you consider your safety.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Maria Rawlings

Sarah Everard

Sabina Nessa

Zara Aleena

Bibaa Henry

Nicole Smallman

Ashling Murphy

These women were murdered by strangers just because they wanted to go about there lives, These are all within 2 years and mostly in London or surrounding areas. So yes I think women have a reason to feel concerned for their safety.

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Really???

A

But the "wrong people" being criminals don't by definition care about laws are carrying knives and other weapons including guns already so allowing any potential victim to be armed negates the threat "

No. It doesn't. It doesn't negate anything.

Let's say you're carrying a gun.

Mr mugger walks up behind you and puts a gun to your head. You think you have time to react?

All having more guns in circulation does is increase gun crime, accidental deaths, children finding guns and killing parents & siblings, guns getting stolen and ending up in the wrong hands, school shootings, mass shootings and the whole situation grows exponentially worse.

A

Reply privately

By *batMan
over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

"With the criminal gangs and other foreign guests "

Are you really blaming "foreigners" for the crime rate in the UK?

"and of course the police who all seem to like, abusing and murdering women Especially when they can't find any children... "

ALL the police like abusing and murdering women? Are you sure? Do all the women police like murdering women too or is it just the men? (Please note: The Police Officers will be mostly UK citizens too, which means it's not Johnny Foreigner after all!).

" I think we all should be allowed to carry a gun for self defence "

Handguns have been banned here since a British guy (not a foreigner (or a copper)) killed a lot of school children and their teacher.

I hope my post says a lot about me. Your post definitely says a lot about you.

Gbat

Reply privately

over a year ago

Really???

A

But the "wrong people" being criminals don't by definition care about laws are carrying knives and other weapons including guns already so allowing any potential victim to be armed negates the threat

Mr mugger walks up behind you and puts a gun to your head. You think you have time to react?

All having more guns in circulation does is increase gun crime, accidental deaths, children finding guns and killing parents & siblings, guns getting stolen and ending up in the wrong hands, school shootings, mass shootings and the whole situation grows exponentially worse.

A

"

100% agree

Reply privately

By *mp411Man
over a year ago

chester

Really???

A

A

"

Have you ever been mugged? In my case it was at knife point and I wished I had the legal right to either a knife or a gun as I was reaching for my wallet

Reply privately

By *batMan
over a year ago

"

Have you ever been mugged? In my case it was at knife point and I wished I had the legal right to either a knife or a gun as I was reaching for my wallet "

Why wouldn't they have stabbed you as you tried to draw your firearm? I'm sure you've heard about a reaction gap? If they were closer than about 4 metres you wouldn't have got it level before they knifed you.

Gbat

Reply privately

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

"Have you ever been mugged? In my case it was at knife point and I wished I had the legal right to either a knife or a gun as I was reaching for my wallet "

What would you have done?

Do you know how to safely use a weapon in self defence, or do you think it would have escalated further?

Reply privately

By *batMan
over a year ago

Thinking on it, if you were already being held at knifepoint, they would have also taken your gun off you, not just your wallet.

Gbat

Reply privately

By *mp411Man
over a year ago

chester

"With the criminal gangs and other foreign guests

Look at the statistics and the prison inmates ethnicity....

and of course the police who all seem to like, abusing and murdering women Especially when they can't find any children...

ALL the police like abusing and murdering women? Are you sure? Do all the women police like murdering women too or is it just the men? (Please note: The Police Officers will be mostly UK citizens too, which means it's not Johnny Foreigner after all!).

I could have worded it better "between the criminal gangs and foreign guests and some police"

I think we all should be allowed to carry a gun for self defence

Handguns have been banned here since a British guy (not a foreigner (or a copper)) killed a lot of school children and their teacher.

And if the teacher or someone was armed do you think they would just stand by and let some lunatic shoot up a school no not a chance.

It most certainly does....

Gbat "

Reply privately

By *wistedTooCouple
over a year ago

Frimley

I wouldn’t run through a city late at night on my own lol

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Really???

A

A

Have you ever been mugged? In my case it was at knife point and I wished I had the legal right to either a knife or a gun as I was reaching for my wallet "

Yes.

Three times, twice at knifepoint. Not a nice experience but do you know what I did?

I gave them my wallet. It had bank cards and a small amount of cash. Nothing worth dying for. Nothing worth fighting for. Nothing worth risking never seeing my family and friends ever again.

But hey. I'm sure you'd have gladly gone down fighting over a few quid eh?

A

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"

"

I'm a runner, my partner is a runner, she is involved in a women's running club I'm in a club, I can tell you for a fact that pretty much every woman runner I know has had bad experiences, more so when running alone and particularly on a night.

There is plenty of research online that shows the same.

But this is more than running, its whenever a woman is alone on their own in the dark, I'm not sure why you are trying to deny its an issue?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Really???

A

A

My son has been mugged with a knife at his throat and I’m so very glad he didn’t try to defend himself, with or without a weapon. Possessions are replaceable, lives aren’t.

Reply privately

By *mp411Man
over a year ago

chester

"

Have you ever been mugged? In my case it was at knife point and I wished I had the legal right to either a knife or a gun as I was reaching for my wallet

Why wouldn't they have stabbed you as you tried to draw your firearm? I'm sure you've heard about a reaction gap? If they were closer than about 4 metres you wouldn't have got it level before they knifed you.

Gbat "

They were far enough away from me but close enough so I could see the blade I just hope it never happens to you

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"With the criminal gangs and other foreign guests

Look at the statistics and the prison inmates ethnicity....

and of course the police who all seem to like, abusing and murdering women Especially when they can't find any children...

I could have worded it better "between the criminal gangs and foreign guests and some police"

I think we all should be allowed to carry a gun for self defence

It most certainly does....

Gbat

And if the teacher or someone was armed do you think they would just stand by and let some lunatic shoot up a school no not a chance.

"

If the teacher had been armed I have no doubt that Thomas Hamilton would have shot them first, without warning, thus making any possession of a gun redundant.

Do you think he'd have shouted a warning of what he was about to do? Do you think teachers who enter the profession to educate children actually want to be responsible for having to shoot one of them, given that the majority of shooters are pupils themselves?

Because even in America the majority of teachers don't want that job.

A

Reply privately

By *batMan
over a year ago

"And if the teacher or someone was armed do you think they would just stand by and let some lunatic shoot up a school no not a chance. "

First, most teachers aren't asking to be armed are they?

Second, if the teacher was armed, they would just be the first victim of the active shooter.

Third, the US is a massively armed country. That doesn't seem to stop mass shootings there does it? Their murder rate is way higher than the UKs.

But don't let facts get in the way!

Gbat

(ps. when you're looking at the stats for prison population ethnicity, see if you can find any research on the disparity of sentencing in UK courts when plotted against ethnicity. (By the way, ethnicity is different from nationality and not an indicator of foreign criminality or homegrown criminality).

Reply privately

By *ananaman41Man
over a year ago

Dublin

I don't think they were dumb, I think the advert came out Not long after Ashling Murphy was murdered whilst out jogging. She was jogging during the day but I think some felt it was poor timing Especially as at the time women were being advised not to go out jogging alone particularly at night. "

The ad wasn't telling anyone to go jogging at night. It just showed a woman who was jogging at night.

The complaints were absolutely ridiculous and should have been ignored

Reply privately

By *ndlessPossibilities40Couple
over a year ago

Cardiff

You are jocking right?

Did it make you laugh?

To be honest it didn't make me laugh because I didn't think it was funny because women have been murdered whilst out jogging. "

Exactly this …..you are totally right hun in what your saying ….i didn’t find his comments funny either

Reply privately

over a year ago

You are jocking right?

Did it make you laugh?

Exactly this …..you are totally right hun in what your saying ….i didn’t find his comments funny either "

I think it's a difficult one because I think for some people this isn't an issue so they don't understand why it is for others. Brilliant if some people are not concerned about walking around alone late at night but many particularly women are and that shouldn't be diminished or pushed aside.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Cardiff

Really???

A

A

My son has been mugged with a knife at his throat and I’m so very glad he didn’t try to defend himself, with or without a weapon. Possessions are replaceable, lives aren’t. "

Omg that’s so scary

Reply privately

over a year ago

The ad wasn't telling anyone to go jogging at night. It just showed a woman who was jogging at night.

The complaints were absolutely ridiculous and should have been ignored"

Again you are missing the point and no they shouldn't have been ignored because it was more about the timing of the advert than the actual advert.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I'm a runner, my partner is a runner, she is involved in a women's running club I'm in a club, I can tell you for a fact that pretty much every woman runner I know has had bad experiences, more so when running alone and particularly on a night.

But this is more than running, its whenever a woman is alone on their own in the dark, I'm not sure why you are trying to deny its an issue?"

I didn't deny it was an issue. Try reading the debate instead of cherry picking for your own agenda.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Cardiff

"Maria Rawlings

Sarah Everard

Sabina Nessa

Zara Aleena

Bibaa Henry

Nicole Smallman

Ashling Murphy

These women were murdered by strangers just because they wanted to go about there lives, These are all within 2 years and mostly in London or surrounding areas. So yes I think women have a reason to feel concerned for their safety."

That is far too many lives lost when ladies should be safe to go about there lives no wonder most ladies won’t go out alone at night

RIP to all those ladies taken when they should have been safe very sad.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"

But this is more than running, its whenever a woman is alone on their own in the dark, I'm not sure why you are trying to deny its an issue?

I didn't deny it was an issue. Try reading the debate instead of cherry picking for your own agenda.

"

My agenda being 'it's dangerous fir women to run alone at night'?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Cardiff

"Whatever people's views, women are more vulnerable out at night time. Please respect and consider this "

I agree with this

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

My agenda being 'it's dangerous fir women to run alone at night'? "

Who has said any different?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Cardiff

You are jocking right?

Did it make you laugh?

Exactly this …..you are totally right hun in what your saying ….i didn’t find his comments funny either

I think it's a difficult one because I think for some people this isn't an issue so they don't understand why it is for others. Brilliant if some people are not concerned about walking around alone late at night but many particularly women are and that shouldn't be diminished or pushed aside. "

Yea i agree with you hun

Reply privately

By *ananaman41Man
over a year ago

Dublin

The complaints were absolutely ridiculous and should have been ignored

Again you are missing the point and no they shouldn't have been ignored because it was more about the timing of the advert than the actual advert. "

Im not missing the point at all. Its advertising a product, just because a completely unconnected tragic incident occurs which has no bearing on on it whatsoever doesnt mean there should be any impact on the showing of the advert. It literally has nothing to do with it. This is a classic example of the nanny society, over protective behaviour and pandering to the pearl clutchers

Reply privately

By *mp411Man
over a year ago

chester

"And if the teacher or someone was armed do you think they would just stand by and let some lunatic shoot up a school no not a chance.

Second, if the teacher was armed, they would just be the first victim of the active shooter.

Third, the US is a massively armed country. That doesn't seem to stop mass shootings there does it? Their murder rate is way higher than the UKs.

Gbat

(ps. when you're looking at the stats for prison population ethnicity, see if you can find any research on the disparity of sentencing in UK courts when plotted against ethnicity. (By the way, ethnicity is different from nationality and not an indicator of foreign criminality or homegrown criminality).

"

Foreign nationals make up 86.7% of perpetrators of crime in the UK...

In proportion to the relative population of the US and the UK the uks murder rate is higher so yeah let's not let facts get in the way

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"

"

I don't know, you are the one who accused me of pushing my own agenda

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I don't know, you are the one who accused me of pushing my own agenda "

The whole 'I'm a runner and my partner's a runner and we're in running clubs so I'm more qualified to comment' bit followed by the part where you said I'd denied there was an issue!

Literally fuck all relevance to any of my comments.

Reply privately

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

Women jog?

Reply privately

By *ananaman41Man
over a year ago

Dublin

"Women jog? "

Apparently so. It was a surprise to me as well.

I thought they just wore those pants when going to buy the jacks roll in tesco

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"And if the teacher or someone was armed do you think they would just stand by and let some lunatic shoot up a school no not a chance.

Gbat

In proportion to the relative population of the US and the UK the uks murder rate is higher so yeah let's not let facts get in the way "

WTAF???

The US murder rate is four times the UK's. A 2 second search provides ample data to support that.

I assume you have verified data for your claim that 86% of crime is committed by foreigners? Because I've just searched and that figure appears nowhere. In fact ONS data shows no such statistic.......

A

Reply privately

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

Gbat

In proportion to the relative population of the US and the UK the uks murder rate is higher so yeah let's not let facts get in the way "

Care to stare a source for that frankly ridiculous statistic?

Mr

Reply privately

over a year ago

He's definitely on the sauce.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Gbat

Where did you get those figures from?

Reply privately

By *mp411Man
over a year ago

chester

Gbat

In proportion to the relative population of the US and the UK the uks murder rate is higher so yeah let's not let facts get in the way

WTAF???

The US murder rate is four times the UK's. A 2 second search provides ample data to support that.

I assume you have verified data for your claim that 86% of crime is committed by foreigners? Because I've just searched and that figure appears nowhere. In fact ONS data shows no such statistic.......

A"

Ons data pahahaha you need to look a bit harder to get the results... And the us population is nearly 5x that of the UK so per population as I originally stated

Reply privately

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

You want people to jog with guns?

Do you wanna guess how most people who own guns end up dying?

Reply privately

By *mp411Man
over a year ago

chester

Do you wanna guess how most people who own guns end up dying? "

Old age peacefully in their sleep

Reply privately

over a year ago

Gbat

WTAF???

A

Ons data pahahaha you need to look a bit harder to get the results... And the us population is nearly 5x that of the UK so per population as I originally stated "

I have just had a look and it says nothing of the sort.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Do you wanna guess how most people who own guns end up dying? "

Is it jogging?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Swansea

Gbat

WTAF???

A

Ons data pahahaha you need to look a bit harder to get the results... And the us population is nearly 5x that of the UK so per population as I originally stated "

2022 the US had 4.96 homicides/100,000 the UK was 1.2

You need to stop believing every bit of crap that fits your wierd right wing agenda.

Mr

Reply privately

over a year ago

Gbat

WTAF???

A

What you mean is you have to mash up together the statistics Of the make up of the current prison population, Those arrested on suspicion of an offence and those convicted but even that doesn't come close to your figure.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 20/07/22 23:15:46]

Reply privately

over a year ago

My wife jogs. She always takes her phone, a bottle of water and a dye spray thingy. It sprays out an indelible stinky red foam and makes a loud whistling noise.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I’ve always jogged alone at night/evening. I keep one headphone out and before I leave I let my best friend (who lives a few streets over) that I’m going for a run and where I’m running. Then I call when I get home.

The rule is that if I don’t call in an hour, he calls me. If I don’t answer then it an emergency and he tracks my phone.

Nothing has ever happened, but there is nothing wrong or shameful with having a contingency plan and making sure you consider your safety."

Have a pre agreed phrase you will say when he calls you. Something daft like you just saw a frog riding a bike.

If someone is attacking you they may let you answer and make you say you are ok. If you don't mention the frog your friend will know you need help.

Reply privately

over a year ago

But did they have a high viz jacket on?

Reply privately

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"Do you wanna guess how most people who own guns end up dying?

Is it jogging? "

Nope. Spontaneous human combustion, because they literally could not take any more fab forum BS.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I’ve always jogged alone at night/evening. I keep one headphone out and before I leave I let my best friend (who lives a few streets over) that I’m going for a run and where I’m running. Then I call when I get home.

Nothing has ever happened, but there is nothing wrong or shameful with having a contingency plan and making sure you consider your safety.

Have a pre agreed phrase you will say when he calls you. Something daft like you just saw a frog riding a bike.

If someone is attacking you they may let you answer and make you say you are ok. If you don't mention the frog your friend will know you need help. "

A bright headtorch helps. We use ones that are like a flexible strip which wrap about your head. They have a sensor to the side so you only have to wave your hand to turn them on. They completely dazzle anybody in front.

Garmin have a livetrack feature on some of their watches which is handy as we often get split up.

We each have a whistle attached to our running vests.

On big runs we use mini walkie-talkies.

We run in forests and fields though so in truth I think we probably scare more people than the other way round!

Reply privately

By *urga2076Woman
over a year ago

London

I’ve been going to gym 5.50am all year round for years. most dark winter mornings too. I don’t live in a safe area by any stretch. But I found dark hours of the morning generally “feel” a lot safer than dark hours of the evening. It is def a consideration so I stick to busier bits of the road where cars might see me and avoid the long brick walls where no one can hear you scream etc

Overall I think people are generally good and like to know that I have the choice on what when and where I go… so in that sense this ad - which I’m yet to see- sits ok with me. We have enough in our heads telling us what we can and can’t do as it is.

Reply privately

By *urga2076Woman
over a year ago

London

Just watched the ad. It’s dumb regardless of the setting.

Reply privately

over a year ago

If someone is attacking you they may let you answer and make you say you are ok. If you don't mention the frog your friend will know you need help.

A bright headtorch helps. We use ones that are like a flexible strip which wrap about your head. They have a sensor to the side so you only have to wave your hand to turn them on. They completely dazzle anybody in front.

Garmin have a livetrack feature on some of their watches which is handy as we often get split up.

We each have a whistle attached to our running vests.

On big runs we use mini walkie-talkies.

We run in forests and fields though so in truth I think we probably scare more people than the other way round!"

If I saw bright lights zooming around a forest I'd just think ET's back.

Reply privately

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Unless, they too have a gun.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If I saw bright lights zooming around a forest I'd just think ET's back. "

Haven't found him yet but he does ride a bike

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

As Samuel colt said God made man I made them equal... The point is any potential attacker would think twice with the possibility of the potential victim being armed

Unless, they too have a gun."

Yes the one thing about American culture we should most aspire to adopt is their gun culture. It works so well.

Reply privately

By *batMan
over a year ago

"Foreign nationals make up 86.7% of perpetrators of crime in the UK...

I don't know where you get your first statistic from. I don't believe it's true but if you can show me where you read it of course you might be able to convince me.

Your second "fact" is bollocks. Here's a link to some reliable data.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/VC.IHR.PSRC.P5?locations=US-GB

As you can see, the homicide rate in the US is significantly higher than it is in the UK.

If you don't trust the data on that page, just google homicide rate in US compared to UK or similar. It's easy.

Gbat

Reply privately

By *batMan
over a year ago

"And the us population is nearly 5x that of the UK so per population as I originally stated "

Oh dear! Didn't do so well in maths at school?

The data is per one hundred thousand people. So for every 100,000 US citizens, over 6 of them will be murdered. For every 100,000 UK citizens, just over 1 of them will be murdered.

You can hahahaha as much as you like. You are wrong and the data shows you are wrong but you don't understand the data. It makes your other ONS "statistic" more ridiculous as you patently don't understand much of what you're reading.

Gbat

Reply privately

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Has society come to the point where an advert is taken more notice of than using common sense .

My point being so we all follow explicitly everything we see on the telly?

Yes poor timing regards the advert.

But maybe they can add a caution note at the end of the advert and an advice line.

My advice is if possible run in pairs or join a running club, safety in numbers.

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Generally it's safe at night! There no bugger around x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Generally it's safe at night! There no bugger around x"

All the murdered women listed in this thread will be relieved to learn this.

Reply privately

By *batMan
over a year ago

"Generally it's safe at night! There no bugger around x

All the murdered women listed in this thread will be relieved to learn this."

There are a lot of women murdered by their spouse. Are you suggesting people should avoid marriage for that reason?

Gbat

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

There are a lot of women murdered by their spouse. Are you suggesting people should avoid marriage for that reason?

Gbat "

It's murder top trumps everybody

Reply privately

over a year ago

Gbat

It's murder top trumps everybody "

Such jolly fun

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Gbat "

Exactly more often than not its someone u know that murders ! I cycle to work at 3 15 every morning have been doing last 2 years! And yes sometimes bit scary on a sat morning when the d*unks are walking home! But I've never been approached! And certainly feel no more at risk than I do in daylight tbh! X

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I read about two thirds of the way down before my eyes glazed over.

Thank GOD there are some level headed people about.

There is at least one person within the first two thirds who is simply quoting unsubstantiated bullshit in order to spew emotively over the logic of the sane.

The AD is fine.

Stop ! I say Stop! treating women as being in constant danger if they dare poke their tiny little heads above any parapet..........

AND

Stop talking and acting as if all men are laying in wait to grab any woman on the street.

Statistics and sanity show your arguments to be as colanders of water or sandless sacks.. ....

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I dunno why we even let them out at night. Women easily get lost when it dark.

Keep them inside and if they need to go out at night a guy should join them with a lead incase they get startled and bolt.

It’s common sense, and only the men have that

Reply privately

By *rontier PsychiatristMan
over a year ago

Coventry

I done think we live in an age where everything can be problematic depending on the spin people want to put on things. It's a no win situation that many people and corporations have come a cropper from even when trying their very hardest to be progressive.

This being a prime example:

So some it's a display of a positive message. And doesn't patronise women and say they have as much right to the night as anyone else.

To others it's offensive because it pretends that many women don't feel safe in the night. And/or disguises the idea that the world is especially not safe for women.

I'm the corporate world their is an instant aversion to critism on gourds that something is problematic. So things tend to get pulled without wider debate or defence of the rationale behind it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I read about two thirds of the way down before my eyes glazed over.

There is at least one person within the first two thirds who is simply quoting unsubstantiated bullshit in order to spew emotively over the logic of the sane.

The AD is fine.

Stop ! I say Stop! treating women as being in constant danger if they dare poke their tiny little heads above any parapet..........

AND

Stop talking and acting as if all men are laying in wait to grab any woman on the street.

Statistics and sanity show your arguments to be as colanders of water or sandless sacks.. ....

"

Which statistics?

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

The AD is fine.

AND

Which statistics? "

The fact that millions of women who go about there business every day and aren’t murdered.

The fact that millions of men that go about their business every day without murdering anyone.

Reply privately

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

The AD is fine.

AND

Which statistics?

The fact that millions of women who go about there business every day and aren’t murdered.

The fact that millions of men that go about their business every day without murdering anyone."

And the ones who are murdered probably weren't running whilst wearing headphones.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Swansea

The AD is fine.

AND

"

I love this. I do often wonder at the irony of fighting male oppression by saying men make the world so unsafe women are incapable of moving themselves from one place to another.

Absolutely women get killed walking down the street by random strangers, it's horrific, scary and worrying. But the numbers simply don't add up, men are far more likely to be victims of stranger attack - though I do often wonder how skewed these figures are by the fact women are more afraid so make more effort to avoid dangerous places/times/situations. A woman is much more likely to be killed by a current or former partner - only 1 man per month is killed like this compared to 2 women a week - but out running the statistics are nowhere near as stark.

I believe the constant fear mongering is outright sexism, it treats women as weak feeble victims instead of competent capable human beings and men as predators instead of normal people. It also perpetuates the narrative that a woman is only safe if she is being looked after/protected by a man. It convinces both sexes to believe these stereotypical tropes so that women live in fear and those men who are predators constantly have their belief that women are victims to be preyed on reinforced.

I can't help but wonder how much more freedom women would experience if they weren't constantly told they're helpless little victims. I wonder how it would affect predators if society told the story that women are strong capable people, likely to fight back.

I also wonder why it that when questioned the women who are full of fire about how they would tear the head off any man who threatened their children are often the same ones who believe they're not safe enough to look after themselves?

If we tell a story enough, everyone believes it and, more importantly, acts as though it is true. Ffs let's start telling the story that a woman can do anything she damn well pleases.

Mr

Reply privately

over a year ago

The AD is fine.

AND

Which statistics?

The fact that millions of men that go about their business every day without murdering anyone."

Their business is jogging at 2am?

Reply privately

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

Jogging?

A

A

No because women haven't recently been murdered just for walking up a mountain have they? They have however for daring to walk alone at night! This is very real for women and not something to be made fun of. A woman was murdered less than 3 miles away from my house 4 weeks ago simply Because she walked home from a night out. 2 weeks ago a warning was put out by local police for women not to walk in a local park alone as there had been several reports of a man approaching lone women and trying to touch them.

Right.

I thought the tone of my post was pretty obvious in it's 'lets take the piss out of samsung' nature.

I wasn't being serious for a second. Perhaps I should have been more obvious.

The advert is as clueless as the Tampax one I included. It's giving a false impression of a product magically changing reality and providing a solution to a problem that exists in real life. The Tampax ad at the time recieved criticism for giving the impression that by simply choosing that brand women would no longer have to worry about participating in extreme sports whilst on their periods, when in reality people called them out for talking bollocks at the time. Much like Samsung are attempting to portray their products as a solution to another issue women face, when in reality again it's complete bollocks.

Fuck me. Not sure why I felt I had to explain that but hey.....until there's a neon sign emoji that says "this is not a serious comment" I guess sometimes people will have to.

A"

Save your breath-Miss mood Hoover can find an angle to shoot any post down

Reply privately

over a year ago

The AD is fine.

AND

I love this. I do often wonder at the irony of fighting male oppression by saying men make the world so unsafe women are incapable of moving themselves from one place to another.

Absolutely women get killed walking down the street by random strangers, it's horrific, scary and worrying. But the numbers simply don't add up, men are far more likely to be victims of stranger attack - though I do often wonder how skewed these figures are by the fact women are more afraid so make more effort to avoid dangerous places/times/situations. A woman is much more likely to be killed by a current or former partner - only 1 man per month is killed like this compared to 2 women a week - but out running the statistics are nowhere near as stark.

I believe the constant fear mongering is outright sexism, it treats women as weak feeble victims instead of competent capable human beings and men as predators instead of normal people. It also perpetuates the narrative that a woman is only safe if she is being looked after/protected by a man. It convinces both sexes to believe these stereotypical tropes so that women live in fear and those men who are predators constantly have their belief that women are victims to be preyed on reinforced.

I can't help but wonder how much more freedom women would experience if they weren't constantly told they're helpless little victims. I wonder how it would affect predators if society told the story that women are strong capable people, likely to fight back.

I also wonder why it that when questioned the women who are full of fire about how they would tear the head off any man who threatened their children are often the same ones who believe they're not safe enough to look after themselves?

If we tell a story enough, everyone believes it and, more importantly, acts as though it is true. Ffs let's start telling the story that a woman can do anything she damn well pleases.

Mr"

Forgive me, but the thread is about an ad which shows a woman jogging at 2am. The complaints suggested it was tone-deaf given Ashling Murphy's recent murder. And that most women AND men would choose not to jog at 2am. How did we get to women being told they're helpless little victims? Where did anyone say that?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Swansea

I am a woman who has run during the night. My personal reasons for running during the night was to train for an event.

I was about to embark on a round the clock challenge and I wanted to train whilst tired so that I knew what to experience and how my body responded to fuel when very tired.

I enjoyed running at night, and I felt comfortable running at night.

NBVN x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Swansea

The AD is fine.

AND

Mr

Forgive me, but the thread is about an ad which shows a woman jogging at 2am. The complaints suggested it was tone-deaf given Ashling Murphy's recent murder. And that most women AND men would choose not to jog at 2am. How did we get to women being told they're helpless little victims? Where did anyone say that?"

This is a sample quote from this thread.

"But this is more than running, its whenever a woman is alone on their own in the dark, I'm not sure why you are trying to deny its an issue?"

Whenever a woman is alone in the dark? Really? Every lone woman in the dark is an "issue"?

Sounds like helpless little victim to me.

Mr

Reply privately

over a year ago

The AD is fine.

AND

Mr

Forgive me, but the thread is about an ad which shows a woman jogging at 2am. The complaints suggested it was tone-deaf given Ashling Murphy's recent murder. And that most women AND men would choose not to jog at 2am. How did we get to women being told they're helpless little victims? Where did anyone say that?

"But this is more than running, its whenever a woman is alone on their own in the dark, I'm not sure why you are trying to deny its an issue?"

Whenever a woman is alone in the dark? Really? Every lone woman in the dark is an "issue"?

Mr

"

You've chosen a single quote - I've read through the thread again and for me, it doesn't represent "women as victims". Several people have said they wouldn't run at night, some have commented on the additional safety measures they'd take and not all about women. I'd object to "helpless little victim" too FWIW.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

The AD is fine.

AND

Mr

Mr

"

Your words. Nobody else has suggested such a notion.

Women's safety is important. And if you're suggesting women haven't been and haven't felt threatened while out running on their own then I would beg to differ.

Reply privately

By *eadinthecloudsMan
over a year ago

Manchester

I find it awfully sad that this is a reality for women. God knows how many things have to change in society before it gets any better? Education? Police? Economics? Politics? The whole lot.

Reply privately

By *batMan
over a year ago

"I find it awfully sad that this is a reality for women. God knows how many things have to change in society before it gets any better? Education? Police? Economics? Politics? The whole lot."

Perhaps yours is a rhetorical question, but I would ask what would you change in terms of education? What about policing, what would you see done differently to change what we are talking about? Same question for politics and economics.

I’d like to see people safer, but my question to you is how do you think we achieve that? (Clue, it doesn’t involve guns, just in case my earlier posts weren’t clear on that!).

Gbat

Reply privately

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

Some folk would start a disagreement in a phonebox given half the chance.

I thought it was a good advert

Reply privately

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"I find it awfully sad that this is a reality for women. God knows how many things have to change in society before it gets any better? Education? Police? Economics? Politics? The whole lot.

Perhaps yours is a rhetorical question, but I would ask what would you change in terms of education? What about policing, what would you see done differently to change what we are talking about? Same question for politics and economics.

I’d like to see people safer, but my question to you is how do you think we achieve that? (Clue, it doesn’t involve guns, just in case my earlier posts weren’t clear on that!).

Gbat "

If the poster you've replied to mentions guns as a solution, I'll eat my shorts

Reply privately

By *eadinthecloudsMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"I find it awfully sad that this is a reality for women. God knows how many things have to change in society before it gets any better? Education? Police? Economics? Politics? The whole lot.

Gbat

If the poster you've replied to mentions guns as a solution, I'll eat my shorts "

The solution does not involve guns. That I can say for certain. As was most certainly rhetorical. I have too much covid right now to give a meaningful answer to that.

Reply privately

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Gbat

If the poster you've replied to mentions guns as a solution, I'll eat my shorts

The solution does not involve guns. That I can say for certain. As was most certainly rhetorical. I have too much covid right now to give a meaningful answer to that. "

C, if you thought guns were the answer, I'd say COVID had totally addled your brain. Feel better soon, I've just got rid of a very mild case

Reply privately

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

"There are plenty of women who run in the dark. My guess is that most of those complaining haven't done a great deal of running at any time of day.

"

I'm part of a huge community of female runners and every single winter the conversation turns to:

- how to still run safety as the light drops

- how to find local organised running groups

- shout outs to buddy up in xxx area.

I know a tiny tiny handful of women who are happy and comfortable to run alone in the dark.

The only time I've ever felt comfortable was when I lived right in a city centre and could stick to well lit, busy main roads most of which had reasonable CCTV coverage.

Even then I had men try to approach me, convice me to stop and chat or join them for a drink... The abuse soon followed if you didn't.

A friend of mine who lived a little way off the main road was flashed at numerous times and there was an attempted SA...

The time I was SA'd was broad daylight, I wasn't out running, I was walking to the shop to get my lunch on my break from work.

We don't live in baseless unjustified fear... We live on fear because we have experienced a reason to be afraid.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’m tired of being like a piece of meat and the wolf whistles & lewd comments from Randy women when I’m out for my nightly 10k..

Reply privately

By *batMan
over a year ago

"If the poster you've replied to mentions guns as a solution, I'll eat my shorts "

I didn't think they would! But I was hoping they might give us an insight into what they think we should do.

Gbat

Reply privately

By *inkyInkedBiWoman
over a year ago

"There are plenty of women who run in the dark. My guess is that most of those complaining haven't done a great deal of running at any time of day.

I'm part of a huge community of female runners and every single winter the conversation turns to:

I know a tiny tiny handful of women who are happy and comfortable to run alone in the dark.

The only time I've ever felt comfortable was when I lived right in a city centre and could stick to well lit, busy main roads most of which had reasonable CCTV coverage.

Even then I had men try to approach me, convice me to stop and chat or join them for a drink... The abuse soon followed if you didn't.

A friend of mine who lived a little way off the main road was flashed at numerous times and there was an attempted SA...

The time I was SA'd was broad daylight, I wasn't out running, I was walking to the shop to get my lunch on my break from work.

We don't live in baseless unjustified fear... We live on fear because we have experienced a reason to be afraid.

"

‘’ We don't live in baseless unjustified fear... We live on fear because we have experienced a reason to be afraid. ’’

THIS!

Reply privately

over a year ago

‘’ We don't live in baseless unjustified fear... We live on fear because we have experienced a reason to be afraid. ’’

THIS! "

Exactly. That's why I will not accept the fear is a choice argument.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

THIS! "

And yet there's some on this thread who say you've nothing to fear but fear itself. That your fear is baseless. Its good to have these debates because until more people understand what some are confronted with changes are not going to happen.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Swansea

THIS!

And yet there's some on this thread who say you've nothing to fear but fear itself. That your fear is baseless. Its good to have these debates because until more people understand what some are confronted with changes are not going to happen. "

I've not seen anyone say that the fear is baseless just out of proportion. There are an estimated 6.5 million cyclists in the UK compared to 35 million women. Cyclists are only at risk for the short period of time they are on the road, women are (according to this thread) at risk every time they leave the house. Despite these huge differences cyclists are killed and injured at a higher rate than women. Nearly 3 cyclists a week are killed comforted to 2 women - if you only include women who are attacked outside the house the numbers are even further apart. Statistically I'm many more times more likely to be killed whilst riding my bike than simply being a woman out and about. Tobis another example a sinan is far more likely to end up dead or broken if she choses to ride a horse than I'd she chooses a run on the dark. So should I spend every ride in fear of what may happen? Should women be afraid of horse riding? Before anyone points out that its not just being killed, there's injury, assault, threat etc, I've used the death stats as they're simpler to compare. For example how do you compare an attempted abduction with being knocked off your bike? A punch with being clipped by a wingmirror? I accept that behind every one of those deaths is a whole range of other people who haven't been murdered or killed but have had everything from broken bones to r@pe. It isn't my intention to try and say that an RTA compares to a SA merely to point out that the existence of bad experiences is not a reason to live your life in fear of becoming a statistic of such an event.

No one is saying women don't get assaulted and killed, no one is saying that they are unjustified being afraid whilst out of the house. No one is saying that having experienced an assault it is unreasonable to feel fear. Some of us are simply saying that this fear is made worse by a constant narrative that it is an inevitable part of being female in our society.

I've been dragged down the road on my bike by a lorry, I've been smashed into the tarmac, broke my tooth and lost a bike to a car that pulled out in front of me. I am regularly an innocent victim of a revenge pass from a driver - deliberate aggressive driving designed to make me scared. These things piss me off, they make me take precautions, mean I consider how I ride and change my behavoir in order to reduce the liklihood that I'll be a victim but I absolutely don't fear going out on my bike - I chose to do it for the enjoyment it brings.

Fear has its uses but it can also be out of proportion to the threat. I don't think one of its uses should be to control women and make sure they don't do anything without their male chaperones. Whether or not it is intentional, this is exactly what this narrative of women being constantly in danger of assault results in. When we talk about smashing the patriarchy, freeing women to be anything they want, maybe, just maybe, we should spend a few seconds considering if the stories we tell ourselves about women and how we think they aught to behave are actually doing the exact opposite.

Mr

Reply privately

over a year ago

THIS!

And yet there's some on this thread who say you've nothing to fear but fear itself. That your fear is baseless. Its good to have these debates because until more people understand what some are confronted with changes are not going to happen.

I've not seen anyone say that the fear is baseless just out of proportion. There are an estimated 6.5 million cyclists in the UK compared to 35 million women. Cyclists are only at risk for the short period of time they are on the road, women are (according to this thread) at risk every time they leave the house. Despite these huge differences cyclists are killed and injured at a higher rate than women. Nearly 3 cyclists a week are killed comforted to 2 women - if you only include women who are attacked outside the house the numbers are even further apart. Statistically I'm many more times more likely to be killed whilst riding my bike than simply being a woman out and about. Tobis another example a sinan is far more likely to end up dead or broken if she choses to ride a horse than I'd she chooses a run on the dark. So should I spend every ride in fear of what may happen? Should women be afraid of horse riding? Before anyone points out that its not just being killed, there's injury, assault, threat etc, I've used the death stats as they're simpler to compare. For example how do you compare an attempted abduction with being knocked off your bike? A punch with being clipped by a wingmirror? I accept that behind every one of those deaths is a whole range of other people who haven't been murdered or killed but have had everything from broken bones to r@pe. It isn't my intention to try and say that an RTA compares to a SA merely to point out that the existence of bad experiences is not a reason to live your life in fear of becoming a statistic of such an event.

No one is saying women don't get assaulted and killed, no one is saying that they are unjustified being afraid whilst out of the house. No one is saying that having experienced an assault it is unreasonable to feel fear. Some of us are simply saying that this fear is made worse by a constant narrative that it is an inevitable part of being female in our society.

I've been dragged down the road on my bike by a lorry, I've been smashed into the tarmac, broke my tooth and lost a bike to a car that pulled out in front of me. I am regularly an innocent victim of a revenge pass from a driver - deliberate aggressive driving designed to make me scared. These things piss me off, they make me take precautions, mean I consider how I ride and change my behavoir in order to reduce the liklihood that I'll be a victim but I absolutely don't fear going out on my bike - I chose to do it for the enjoyment it brings.

Fear has its uses but it can also be out of proportion to the threat. I don't think one of its uses should be to control women and make sure they don't do anything without their male chaperones. Whether or not it is intentional, this is exactly what this narrative of women being constantly in danger of assault results in. When we talk about smashing the patriarchy, freeing women to be anything they want, maybe, just maybe, we should spend a few seconds considering if the stories we tell ourselves about women and how we think they aught to behave are actually doing the exact opposite.

Mr"

It's not for you to say whether the fear is out of proportion and you obviously haven't the read the thread properly if you haven't seen people saying the fear is baseless.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Most of us are not talking about being attacked but talking about unwanted approaches that when declined we get verbal abuse.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"I've been dragged down the road on my bike by a lorry, I've been smashed into the tarmac, broke my tooth and lost a bike to a car that pulled out in front of me. I am regularly an innocent victim of a revenge pass from a driver - deliberate aggressive driving designed to make me scared. These things piss me off, they make me take precautions, mean I consider how I ride and change my behavoir in order to reduce the liklihood that I'll be a victim but I absolutely don't fear going out on my bike - I chose to do it for the enjoyment it brings.

"

I think your cycling analogy actually proves the point others are making.

I got close passed by a HGV tonight, wheels were about a foot from me. I was at massive risk for a few hundred metres of serious injury or death but escaped unscathed. The rest of the ride nothing else dodgy happened and a lovely 25 miles. Still can't help think that HGV could easily have killed me though.

But I know, I could get killed or horrendously injured or just scared shitless everytime I ride. But I probably won't be. And the risk of something bad happening is, as you say outweighed by the pleasure.

But like you I've modernised my behaviour, I avoid certain roads, certain junctions as I feel the risk is to high. And I taken precautions that I think are enough to keep me safe.

I think you are looking at fear too literally, people aren't literally walking down the road in fear of their lives, the fear is acknowledging a risk and either deciding it is worth taking or modernising behaviour to mitigate against it which is exactly what you've said you've done?

If yiu don't avknowledge fear you wouldn't adapt your behaviour

Reply privately

By *ewhorizonsCouple
over a year ago

Leicestershire

"I wouldn’t run through a city late at night on my own lol"

This is sensible. It’s a sad state of affairs but women simply aren’t safe at night on their own. Too many psychos around

Reply privately

over a year ago

Swansea

"I've been dragged down the road on my bike by a lorry, I've been smashed into the tarmac, broke my tooth and lost a bike to a car that pulled out in front of me. I am regularly an innocent victim of a revenge pass from a driver - deliberate aggressive driving designed to make me scared. These things piss me off, they make me take precautions, mean I consider how I ride and change my behavoir in order to reduce the liklihood that I'll be a victim but I absolutely don't fear going out on my bike - I chose to do it for the enjoyment it brings.

I got close passed by a HGV tonight, wheels were about a foot from me. I was at massive risk for a few hundred metres of serious injury or death but escaped unscathed. The rest of the ride nothing else dodgy happened and a lovely 25 miles. Still can't help think that HGV could easily have killed me though.

But I know, I could get killed or horrendously injured or just scared shitless everytime I ride. But I probably won't be. And the risk of something bad happening is, as you say outweighed by the pleasure.

But like you I've modernised my behaviour, I avoid certain roads, certain junctions as I feel the risk is to high. And I taken precautions that I think are enough to keep me safe.

I think you are looking at fear too literally, people aren't literally walking down the road in fear of their lives, the fear is acknowledging a risk and either deciding it is worth taking or modernising behaviour to mitigate against it which is exactly what you've said you've done?

"

Absolutely agree with adapting behavoir but no one has ever advised cyclists to stop cycling to paraphrase an earlier post about woken jooging in the dark. It is socially acceptable to advise women not to do things they enjoy because it is a society wide myth that they can't cope with these situations. Conversely, in some quarters, it isn't socially acceptable to give advice on altering behavoir to avoid the dangers.

You can advise a cyclist what to wear and how to behave to avoid becoming a victim though very few (besudev the arsehole drivers that are a big part of the problem because they have an irationsl hatred of cyclists) would advise them that they should just stop cycling. When it comes to womens safety it is the opposite. Advising what to wear or how to change behavoir is seen as curtailing their freedom to be themselves, as not dealing with the real problem (men) and victim blaming. Meanwhile advising them not to go out alone for 50% of the time is somehow justifiable.

Mr

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Absolutely agree with adapting behavoir but no one has ever advised cyclists to stop cycling to paraphrase an earlier post about woken jooging in the dark. It is socially acceptable to advise women not to do things they enjoy because it is a society wide myth that they can't cope with these situations. Conversely, in some quarters, it isn't socially acceptable to give advice on altering behavoir to avoid the dangers.

You can advise a cyclist what to wear and how to behave to avoid becoming a victim though very few (besudev the arsehole drivers that are a big part of the problem because they have an irationsl hatred of cyclists) would advise them that they should just stop cycling. When it comes to womens safety it is the opposite. Advising what to wear or how to change behavoir is seen as curtailing their freedom to be themselves, as not dealing with the real problem (men) and victim blaming. Meanwhile advising them not to go out alone for 50% of the time is somehow justifiable.

Mr"

While I agree i don't think I've ever been told I should not ride, people have definitely commented negatively, particularly when I ride in London, expressing a concern about the danger or an opinion that they wouldn't themselves do it.

As an aside, when you encounter arsehole drivers, are they usually male? Certainly that's my experience, its interesting were discussing an analogy where the issue is also around men's aggression.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I wouldn’t run through a city late at night on my own lol

This is sensible. It’s a sad state of affairs but women simply aren’t safe at night on their own. Too many psychos around"

And this is the problem.

When a woman has been attacked I often see comments on social media and long the lines of "well what was she wearing" Why was she out on her own at that time" Almost like somehow it's her fault, So for me it's more about the judgement on women who dare to just go about their normal lives.

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

This is sensible. It’s a sad state of affairs but women simply aren’t safe at night on their own. Too many psychos around

And this is the problem.

When a woman has been attacked I often see comments on social media and long the lines of "well what was she wearing" Why was she out on her own at that time" Almost like somehow it's her fault, So for me it's more about the judgement on women who dare to just go about their normal lives. "

I can honestly say I’ve seen a post where a woman’s been attacked and someone serious ask what she was wearing.

To the point that o seriously believe that’s an old trope that doesn’t exist anymore in the volume women often talk about.

I’m sure 15-20 years ago people said that, maybe even further, but personally, I’ve never seen it said unless it was clearly someone trying to provoke

Reply privately

over a year ago

And this is the problem.

When a woman has been attacked I often see comments on social media and long the lines of "well what was she wearing" Why was she out on her own at that time" Almost like somehow it's her fault, So for me it's more about the judgement on women who dare to just go about their normal lives.

I can honestly say I’ve seen a post where a woman’s been attacked and someone serious ask what she was wearing.

To the point that o seriously believe that’s an old trope that doesn’t exist anymore in the volume women often talk about.

I’m sure 15-20 years ago people said that, maybe even further, but personally, I’ve never seen it said unless it was clearly someone trying to provoke "

I'm sorry but you are wrong it happens all the time. I've seen it even very recently when a local woman was murdered, Plenty of people including women said why why was she on her own at that time of the night.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 22/07/22 13:31:40]

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

And this is the problem.

I’m sure 15-20 years ago people said that, maybe even further, but personally, I’ve never seen it said unless it was clearly someone trying to provoke

I'm sorry but you are wrong it happens all the time. I've seen it even very recently when a local woman was murdered, Plenty of people including women said why why was she on her own at that time of the night. "

I believe people say the 2nd thing you mentioned, which is why I didn’t comment on it

And I think that stems more from the belief that us men should be doing more to help and protect female friends. Remember the big push the last few years encouraging men to stand up and help?

So o don’t believe that comment means we don’t want women to go about their daily lives.

I think it means why didn’t people do their part to better help and protect women in those situations by maybe offering them a lift or to walk with them

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mr"

I don't see people on this thread suggesting women never go out at night alone. The example in the ad is extreme - headphones in at 2am. Many men would choose not to jog at 2am with headphones in. You seem to be arguing against a pov that I don't believe anyone on the thread has expressed. Women saying they feel fearful doesn't = them staying at home.

Reply privately

By *ayHaychMan
over a year ago

Leeds (Home) / Sheffield (Work)

And this is the problem.

I’m sure 15-20 years ago people said that, maybe even further, but personally, I’ve never seen it said unless it was clearly someone trying to provoke "

Have a look at what happens to victims of sexual assault (can’t use the other word) in court…

Reply privately

over a year ago

To be fair tho i can see the intimidation factor i wouldnt walk thru most cities late at night never mind run around so i can see why lasses wouldnt want to most towns iv seen are full of chev kids looking for entertainment piss tank knob jockeys and the untraceables of the world living off the grid

Reply privately

over a year ago

And this is the problem.

I'm sorry but you are wrong it happens all the time. I've seen it even very recently when a local woman was murdered, Plenty of people including women said why why was she on her own at that time of the night.

I believe people say the 2nd thing you mentioned, which is why I didn’t comment on it

And I think that stems more from the belief that us men should be doing more to help and protect female friends. Remember the big push the last few years encouraging men to stand up and help?

So o don’t believe that comment means we don’t want women to go about their daily lives.

I think it means why didn’t people do their part to better help and protect women in those situations by maybe offering them a lift or to walk with them "

Firstly we shouldn't need to be chaperoned but I do understand what you are saying. I've seen posts in local groups about young men that have been mugged in the middle of the night walking home and nobody has ever said " What was he doing walking on his own at that time of night". I think what is meant by the men playing their part It's more about calling out inappropriate behaviour by other men particularly their friends.

Reply privately

By *uddy laneMan
over a year ago

dudley

And this is the problem.

I think it means why didn’t people do their part to better help and protect women in those situations by maybe offering them a lift or to walk with them "

No just leave them do their thing getting in a car from an offer of a lift is the wrong thing for a alone female to do.

Reply privately

over a year ago

And this is the problem.

I think it means why didn’t people do their part to better help and protect women in those situations by maybe offering them a lift or to walk with them

No just leave them do their thing getting in a car from an offer of a lift is the wrong thing for a alone female to do."

This.

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

And this is the problem.

Firstly we shouldn't need to be chaperoned but I do understand what you are saying. I've seen posts in local groups about young men that have been mugged in the middle of the night walking home and nobody has ever said " What was he doing walking on his own at that time of night". I think what is meant by the men playing their part It's more about calling out inappropriate behaviour by other men particularly their friends. "

That’s because no one’s here to protect young men. They have to fend for themselves lol

But maybe we just disagree. I’m just giving my view. I’ve never seen anyone talk like that. Ever. I firmly believe it’s an old trope people wheel out when they want to make a point on this stuff.

I work on lots of sites with plenty of working class builders and even 99% of them all fully agree no one should face anything for the way they dress. They wouldn’t suggest that someone assaulted should have dressed different

But that’s just me. Maybe it is often said, like you mentioned. I just find it odd that I’ve never seen it said seriously.

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

And this is the problem.

No just leave them do their thing getting in a car from an offer of a lift is the wrong thing for a alone female to do."

Who said strangers should offer lone women lifts?

Sorry but what?

Reply privately

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

"I’m sure 15-20 years ago people said that, maybe even further, but personally, I’ve never seen it said unless it was clearly someone trying to provoke "

This news article is admittedly 5 years old

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk%2Fcrime%2Frape-sexual-history-assault-cross-examine-trial-court-voices4victims-plaid-cymru-mp-liz-savile-a7570286.html

This case was 2018

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46207304.amp

If this is being used in court... Yes in court and in the case of the BBC article was THE REASON WHY HE WAS ACQUITTED...

You seriously think the general populace aren't saying similar?

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

And this is the problem.

I'm sorry but you are wrong it happens all the time. I've seen it even very recently when a local woman was murdered, Plenty of people including women said why why was she on her own at that time of the night. "

Last summer, one lunchtime a (now former colleague) saw a woman on her way to the gym next to my office, tight leggings and a sports bra, standard gym wear.

She explained at length to me that women like that are 'asking for it' and shouldn't be walking the streets half naked because they 'deserve everything they get'.

I was also on my way to the gym in shorts and a tee and oddly she hadn't commented on that

It was a vile rant. The real kicker she'd previously worked for the police in a team investigating r@pe and sexual assault and then went on to say victims need to take more responsibility for their actions as their outfits led men on.

I think it was more horrific coming from a woman but these views are definitely out there and I dint think they are uncommon

Reply privately

By *jorkishMan
over a year ago

Seaforth

And this is the problem.

Last summer, one lunchtime a (now former colleague) saw a woman on her way to the gym next to my office, tight leggings and a sports bra, standard gym wear.

She explained at length to me that women like that are 'asking for it' and shouldn't be walking the streets half naked because they 'deserve everything they get'.

I was also on my way to the gym in shorts and a tee and oddly she hadn't commented on that

It was a vile rant. The real kicker she'd previously worked for the police in a team investigating r@pe and sexual assault and then went on to say victims need to take more responsibility for their actions as their outfits led men on.

I think it was more horrific coming from a woman but these views are definitely out there and I dint think they are uncommon "

I agree I don't think they are rare. Nor am I surprised that the comment your mentioning was from a woman either.

Reply privately

over a year ago

And this is the problem.

I think it was more horrific coming from a woman but these views are definitely out there and I dint think they are uncommon

I agree I don't think they are rare. Nor am I surprised that the comment your mentioning was from a woman either. "

I have to say actually I have seen quite a lot of women say similar. It's very disappointing because at the end of the day I should be able to walk out of the house in a bikini and high heels and not have anyone think that I am somehow fair game and can't say no.

Reply privately

By *jorkishMan
over a year ago

Seaforth

And this is the problem.

I agree I don't think they are rare. Nor am I surprised that the comment your mentioning was from a woman either.

I have to say actually I have seen quite a lot of women say similar. It's very disappointing because at the end of the day I should be able to walk out of the house in a bikini and high heels and not have anyone think that I am somehow fair game and can't say no. "

Completely agree

Reply privately

By *uddy laneMan
over a year ago

dudley

And this is the problem.

I have to say actually I have seen quite a lot of women say similar. It's very disappointing because at the end of the day I should be able to walk out of the house in a bikini and high heels and not have anyone think that I am somehow fair game and can't say no. "

Violence against women is gaining acceptance you only have look at the verbal violence they receive from a minority if they hold a gathering.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

'woken jooging in the dark' ........ I like it!

Reply privately