Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Gifts and Tipping and Similar......

Jump to newest

By *ranny-Crumpet OP   Woman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

On the TEACHER PREZZIE thread.... I'm against the gift thing but it made me think why.... why not .... why .... To gift or not to gift.....

SO! To all those like me who say they don't like the teacher gift thing.... why do you TIP taxi drivers , waiters and hair dressers etc..... ?

Who do you decide to gift or tip and why/not ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I don’t tip anybody, I’m equally tight with everyone.

over a year ago

Give a good service then I tip, if you expect it then bugger off

By *ranny-Crumpet OP   Woman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Give a good service then I tip, if you expect it then bugger off"

See Drew..... I EXPECT good service.

I don't expect substandard service and then get all tippy because someone did something they are supposed to.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

Have they just "done their job" or showed humanity whilst doing it?

Have they made me feel confident and comfortable?

That's how I determine my appreciation level.

When my lad came home whinging about his teacher, telling me he never felt listened to or cared about, then no, like fuck are they getting a show of appreciation from me or my lad.

When he came home telling me how much he liked a different teacher who treated him like a human, who would talk to him about things like music so they shared common ground and respect, then I absolutely showed my appreciation in the form of a small gift and a letter.

By *ood time Chris BMan
over a year ago

TAUNTON AREA

"I don’t tip anybody, I’m equally tight with everyone. "

I agree

By *ood time Chris BMan
over a year ago

TAUNTON AREA

"I don’t tip anybody, I’m equally tight with everyone. "

I agree

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I rarely tip. Not because I'm tight either. I wanted to tip a waitress a while ago, her level of service/enthusiasm was great. I asked her if we tipped does she get it, she explained that it went in the pot and everyone got a share. I know that's how it works in many places but why should MrX get a share when it was his day off?!

I round up hairdressers/taxi etc charge.

Teachers, I stopped when all 3 were at school that's when they just got a card. Made me cringe when friends of mine used to post pics of their gifts with captions like 'feels like Christmas' etc.

over a year ago

I always gifted teachers who went above and beyond. There are many teachers who do more than their job actually entails like staying later in the day to explain something my kid was having particular trouble with…..

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Tip restaurant staff food delivery peeps and taxi drivers! Was on hols with sister in June bear in mind she not short of a bob or 2 we went same place twice in same week we split bill 3 ways so worked it out and added a bit she said second time they don't need tip they had one last time! I said I will leave yr share then x

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

We had no money growing up, so couldn't afford to go out for luxuries, so I didn't know about tipping until my late 20's, so it is a learned behaviour for me now. And so is the gifting to people who have contributed to the growth of my small people, but they are learning it's good to gift personal homemade items as they mean so much more to both parties.

I wish I was given the opportunity to do this in my younger years, as my teachers were my only rocks of stability at that time

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

I'm generally a grumpy sod with tipping etc. Taxi I'll round up generally because I can't be bothered to wait for change. Restaurants depends on the service. Teachers I do because of the kids. In my school if you don't contribute to the whip rounds your child is left out of photos on the last day of term. Plus teachers salaries are relatively high compared to a waitress or taxi driver.

There are loads of jobs out there on shitty pay but the public don't see them so out of sight out of mind I suppose. Such as cleaners in the NHS who do an amazing job. I think pay people what they are due rather than expect them to survive on tips etc.

over a year ago

I normally tip nobody

As for gifts they have to have gone above and beyond and in the teachers case shes worked magic this year so deserves it from me

over a year ago

For me it totally depends on the person and service experienced. Also, I like to know for sure that the tip is going to the individual and not split between the team. A bar I worked at when I was younger the tips went to staff nights out, which is unfair on the ones who didn't want to go out. I've seen other establishments where staff don't get any of the tips.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

I tip at restaurants and taxis mainly.

The reason I tip is down to whether the interaction made me feel valued as a customer. By that I mean, a smile, hello's and just being pleasant.

I appreciate that.

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

I always tip…probably over tip at restaurants but a good/helpful waiter(ess) adds to the experience.

I’ve also been in a pub job which you relied on your tips to boost your wages.

So I will always tip.

K

over a year ago

"Give a good service then I tip, if you expect it then bugger off"

exactly this

over a year ago

I buy drinks for bar staff. I tip waiters and hotel cleaners. I don't use cabs though.

By * la carteCouple
over a year ago

Dublin

I usually tip good service in a restaurant or café unless there's a service charge included. Other services depends on various factors.

As for teachers, I have a special needs child. After finally getting a relatively late diagnosis at age 9, her primary school (resource) teachers, couldn't have been more helpful so yes! I did go out of my way to thank them with little gifts at Christmas and the end of the school year.

That ended when she started secondary school because she hasn't been treated with half the understanding and compassion - quite the opposite. The amount of run-ins I've had with how certain (repeat!!!) situations have been handled without thought, understanding of and for her needs and lack of effort has riled me, stressed me and saddened me - the effect it has on her is absolutely devastating!

If her treatment in school were otherwise, I'd definitely be thanking relevant teachers with a token gift of appreciation!

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"Teachers I do because of the kids. In my school if you don't contribute to the whip rounds your child is left out of photos on the last day of term. "

Really? I think that is an absolute fucking disgrace tbh. A good teacher would not allow that to happen. If its parents arranging that sort of thing shame on them!

over a year ago

Always tip unless it's bad service. The services that we tip for are traditionally low paid and made up for by tips.

I don't bemoan others not tipping, but we also get better service to places we go regularly so works for us

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

I resent being socially bullied into tipping. I totally understand why tips are important to people working in retail/service jobs but that is only because they are so poorly paid and that is because their employers know they can get away with paying them little and then relying on the “generosity” of their customers to make up the difference. That system is just broken.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"Teachers I do because of the kids. In my school if you don't contribute to the whip rounds your child is left out of photos on the last day of term.

Really? I think that is an absolute fucking disgrace tbh. A good teacher would not allow that to happen. If its parents arranging that sort of thing shame on them! "

It was one particular parent, but the school posts them on the newsletter. And it was on the class WhatsApp so it was difficult for those who couldn't afford it to say no.

By *ammo89Man
over a year ago

Aberdeen

"On the TEACHER PREZZIE thread.... I'm against the gift thing but it made me think why.... why not .... why .... To gift or not to gift.....

SO! To all those like me who say they don't like the teacher gift thing.... why do you TIP taxi drivers , waiters and hair dressers etc..... ?

Who do you decide to gift or tip and why/not ?"

I usually always tip service staff. They are massively underpaid for what they have to deal with on a daily basis from people

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"Teachers I do because of the kids. In my school if you don't contribute to the whip rounds your child is left out of photos on the last day of term.

Really? I think that is an absolute fucking disgrace tbh. A good teacher would not allow that to happen. If its parents arranging that sort of thing shame on them!

It was one particular parent, but the school posts them on the newsletter. And it was on the class WhatsApp so it was difficult for those who couldn't afford it to say no. "

In my opinion that parent needs to be spoken to by the school. Its so, so wrong.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

It was one particular parent, but the school posts them on the newsletter. And it was on the class WhatsApp so it was difficult for those who couldn't afford it to say no.

In my opinion that parent needs to be spoken to by the school. Its so, so wrong."

^^^This

over a year ago

I personally have never understood why as a country we are following the 'American Model'of tipping.

Having worked in both retail and hospitality throughout college and university, don't get me wrong when I worked in hospitality the tips were gratefully appreciated and especially over the Christmas period I did make a lot more than my basic wage, however I still received a minimum wage which was the same as I got in retail and from my experience I actually did more customer service there and people were more demanding but never received a tip.

If service is exceptional then yeah I guess leave a tip but it's almost as though, in my experience at least, that it's becoming the expected standard to tip

Before I get hate my way I understand I'm probably in the minority and my experiences don't necessarily reflect how everyone else is portrayed within hospitality etc

By *ingo00Man
over a year ago

Cowley

"I personally have never understood why as a country we are following the 'American Model'of tipping.

Having worked in both retail and hospitality throughout college and university, don't get me wrong when I worked in hospitality the tips were gratefully appreciated and especially over the Christmas period I did make a lot more than my basic wage, however I still received a minimum wage which was the same as I got in retail and from my experience I actually did more customer service there and people were more demanding but never received a tip.

If service is exceptional then yeah I guess leave a tip but it's almost as though, in my experience at least, that it's becoming the expected standard to tip

Before I get hate my way I understand I'm probably in the minority and my experiences don't necessarily reflect how everyone else is portrayed within hospitality etc "

I didn't realise the why American tipping was so high until a colleague explained that in America if you are in a tipped job the employer can pay less than minimum wage as the expectation is the rest will be earned in tips, hence they look for 15% generally as a bare minimum

over a year ago

"I personally have never understood why as a country we are following the 'American Model'of tipping.

Before I get hate my way I understand I'm probably in the minority and my experiences don't necessarily reflect how everyone else is portrayed within hospitality etc

I didn't realise the why American tipping was so high until a colleague explained that in America if you are in a tipped job the employer can pay less than minimum wage as the expectation is the rest will be earned in tips, hence they look for 15% generally as a bare minimum

"

Forgive me, I understand why it happens in America, although personally I find it a little odd that their employer can't pay a proper wage so they aren't dependent on tips from people, but I guess when in Rome and all that

I was more referring to my experiences here in the UK, where arguably it could and should be increased but we do have some form of standardised minimum wage

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

Forgive me, I understand why it happens in America, although personally I find it a little odd that their employer can't pay a proper wage so they aren't dependent on tips from people, but I guess when in Rome and all that

I was more referring to my experiences here in the UK, where arguably it could and should be increased but we do have some form of standardised minimum wage"

It's rare to find waiting staff that work full time hours even if they're in the building full time hours.

When it goes quiet and the business is spending more on labour and consumables than they're making in sales, staff will get sent on breaks (unpaid) until they're needed again.

My rota at the beginning or the working week may say 35 hours, but if its quiet I can easily lose 10 hours a week by getting sent home early or sent on unpaid breaks. One of the major causes of this is people booking tables and not cancelling them if they've no intention of going or they change their minds. You've got people hanging around waiting for people to show up, and sometimes not even starting work for that day because so many tables no-show.

over a year ago

I was more referring to my experiences here in the UK, where arguably it could and should be increased but we do have some form of standardised minimum wage

It's rare to find waiting staff that work full time hours even if they're in the building full time hours.

When it goes quiet and the business is spending more on labour and consumables than they're making in sales, staff will get sent on breaks (unpaid) until they're needed again.

My rota at the beginning or the working week may say 35 hours, but if its quiet I can easily lose 10 hours a week by getting sent home early or sent on unpaid breaks. One of the major causes of this is people booking tables and not cancelling them if they've no intention of going or they change their minds. You've got people hanging around waiting for people to show up, and sometimes not even starting work for that day because so many tables no-show.

"

Interesting take, I must confess I never saw that when I worked in hospitality but as I mentioned my experiences don't always reflect others so happy to be proven wrong

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"On the TEACHER PREZZIE thread.... I'm against the gift thing but it made me think why.... why not .... why .... To gift or not to gift.....

Who do you decide to gift or tip and why/not ?"

I think a lot of people get very anxious about when to tip, when not to age they meant to and how much in each country.

I just do what I feel Like in the moment. My barber chairs £9 sometimes I give him £20 if I’m feeling generous and he does a great. Most restaurants I don’t tip because the staff are miserable cunts and the food mediocre , I often haggle the bill

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I would add any experienced waiter / waitress or person working front of house knows how to make good tips , it’s not that hard if they try and if the restaurant makes it worth your while.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"I would add any experienced waiter / waitress or person working front of house knows how to make good tips , it’s not that hard if they try and if the restaurant makes it worth your while."

I would also add that it's very dependent on the clientèle and prosperity of the community that visit.

My tips mainly come from diners who aren't from the area, unless they're workers staying in the local hotels, coz they pay with company cards or need receipts for VAT purposes, and it's rare as rocking horse shit they tip.

over a year ago

"I often haggle the bill "

Bet these are some awkward first dates

By *viatrixWoman
over a year ago

Redhill

I tip, most of the time quite generously, unless the service is dismal. Hospitality is one of the most difficult industries to work in.

I serve people, but in my industry we don’t get tips. When I used to be on the ground at the airport I was offered tips a few times and I always declined but said thank you. I preferred to point them to the feedback form for the airline.

By *ingo00Man
over a year ago

Cowley

I was more referring to my experiences here in the UK, where arguably it could and should be increased but we do have some form of standardised minimum wage"

My apologies I didn't mean to suggest you didn't,it just shocked my when I found out! I prefer the Japanese model we're tips are frowned upon, almost seen as offensive as good service is seen as a minimum requirement!

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"I would add any experienced waiter / waitress or person working front of house knows how to make good tips , it’s not that hard if they try and if the restaurant makes it worth your while.

I would also add that it's very dependent on the clientèle and prosperity of the community that visit.

My tips mainly come from diners who aren't from the area, unless they're workers staying in the local hotels, coz they pay with company cards or need receipts for VAT purposes, and it's rare as rocking horse shit they tip."

That is a problem, in the past when we paid on the corporate card a tip would not be signed off. We would usually pool money for a tip, but carrying cash is a thing of the past now.

You need a Tip app, that they can tap on your phone... Now there's an idea

By *orny DeucesCouple
over a year ago

Mansfield

I tip my barber, cause he does a decent job, and since doing so always goes above and beyond now.

I tip the delivery driver from the local Chinese, always gets it to us in half the quoted time.

I let people (taxi drivers etc) keep the change if we are talking less than £1.

And I'll tip if service and/or the food is above and beyond expectations

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Who do you decide to gift or tip and why/not ?

I think a lot of people get very anxious about when to tip, when not to age they meant to and how much in each country.

I just do what I feel Like in the moment. My barber chairs £9 sometimes I give him £20 if I’m feeling generous and he does a great. Most restaurants I don’t tip because the staff are miserable cunts and the food mediocre , I often haggle the bill "

Haggle the bill? How do you mean? I mean I'm happy to quibble over a poor steak for example!

Post new Message to Thread