Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Selling animals

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I created a local based group on Facebook for people to sell/buy/swap various items.

Recently lots of animals have been advertised. Pedigree pugs for example at £1000

Some people who use the page have said they are outraged and disgusted, others say at least if a person is willing to pay for an animal they should be more likely to look after and care for it properly.

I know its only Facebook but as the person who created the page i feel like i should take some responsibility but genuinely have no view point on this.. so hoping you lot can help me get some thoughts on the subject. Thanks

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

do facebook have ay guidelines on the selling of animals on their site?

you cant sell live animals on ebay i know that and i think a friend of mine set up a local selling page and wouldnt allow animals to be sold on that.

if i see her i'll ask her about it

over a year ago

"do facebook have ay guidelines on the selling of animals on their site?

you cant sell live animals on ebay i know that and i think a friend of mine set up a local selling page and wouldnt allow animals to be sold on that.

if i see her i'll ask her about it"

Cheers hun.. i know there are lots of pages that advertise for things to be sold but its only recently that folk have started to sell puppies and kittens.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I'd reflect on this, and decide if you want any rules at all, and what they are. You could them implement the rules for new postings, even if some older postings remain.

I'd probably be thinking that sales of animals between real friends on facebook would be ok, but this is kind of between mostly anonymous people... so wonder if there's any liability on your part. Just in case, I'd really ensure that any liability on your part is expressly limited to zero, in very crisp clear words. This doesn't just relate to animals, but any items for sale, where it's buyer beware, and seller assumes all responsibility etc.

It is generally better for animals to be sold not given away, as it does deter the puppies at Christmas syndrome, where they're unwanted by new year etc.

Maybe have limitations on who can sell, how long they've been using the page, whether they have any affiliation to animal centres etc?

Good luck!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Iv got a gorilla for sale if anyone wants one???? let me know pick up only

over a year ago

I don't do FB and do not know its rules and regulations, however, a pedigree animal with champions in its blood line will and can fetch thousands, therefore, nothing to be surprised about.

My mutt is a pedigree, with no papers, from a working farm stock I believe, yet my late partner paid 500 GBP for him!

over a year ago

iv got a cheeky monkey for sale to! lol

over a year ago

A always have mixed feelings when it comes to the selling of animals, i dont see that they are there to make money out of

Personally if i was you i'd put conditions on who can and cant sell, if they are reputable breeder who advertise the puppys will be vet checked, vaccinated, mico chipped etc id be ok with that as they are putting money back into the dogs to make sure they are ok before they leave and are showing they are not just out to make as much money as possible from the dogs, if it was someone who just churns out dogs regular to make money without putting anything back into them id say no

I once saw on used sandwell smeone who wanted to swap a staffy for a xbox, im sorry but to me someone whos willing to swap a dog for an electrical item isnt someone whos sat down and thought it thro and could easily, swap/sell the dog on when they got bored of that

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

I took my dog to the vet the other day because he's gone cross-eyed. The vet picked him up by his ears and examined him closely. He then looked at me and said, "Well, I'm going to have to put him down". "Just because he's cross-eyed?", I enquired. "No", replied the vet. "Because he's bloody heavy!"

`

`

`

`

tumble.......

`

`

`

`

I'll get my coat, shall I?

over a year ago

"I'd reflect on this, and decide if you want any rules at all, and what they are. You could them implement the rules for new postings, even if some older postings remain.

I'd probably be thinking that sales of animals between real friends on facebook would be ok, but this is kind of between mostly anonymous people... so wonder if there's any liability on your part. Just in case, I'd really ensure that any liability on your part is expressly limited to zero, in very crisp clear words. This doesn't just relate to animals, but any items for sale, where it's buyer beware, and seller assumes all responsibility etc.

It is generally better for animals to be sold not given away, as it does deter the puppies at Christmas syndrome, where they're unwanted by new year etc.

Maybe have limitations on who can sell, how long they've been using the page, whether they have any affiliation to animal centres etc?

Good luck!"

The page in general has been very well received with around 800 local members joining in just over the year since its been created. Its turned into a right community page so not only are people selling unwanted but great condition items (clothes, toys, cars) but local business's are promoting things and offers for new customers, people are asking for advice on wheres good for a meal etc..

Its just the selling of live animals i'm stumped on. There are no set rules from my behalf i have 6 'admin' who tend to block/ban spam posters who promote pay day loans (they can see my name is the creator and they can block me so i don't see them posting) and that's the only rule i have that people don't advertise loans/get rich quick schemes.

over a year ago

More and more animals are sold over the internet and I hate it with a passion. there seems to be the same lack of accountability on the sellers' part and lack of judgement on the buyers' part, as there is on forum sites. Tbh I'd shut them ALL down.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/11/12 14:42:07]

over a year ago

I disagree with it. There is a similar page for our area and until recently they allowed the sale of animals. The rules were changed due to several people buying animals that then turned out not to be healthy or hadn't been vaccinated and complaining about their mounting vet bills and starting arguments on the page with the sellers of the animals.

I don't agree either that because you can afford £1000 for a pedigree mrans you can afford to care for it. One girl on the site had bought a dog for £1600. She then realised she couldn't afford to take care of it so decided to sell it. Not only was this negligent but she also felt it was appropriate to profit from the sale by advertising the dog for £1800. Her concern was not for the health and wellbeing of the dog, but for recouping her losses and turning a profit.

Dislike the whole thing.

By *anda man.Man
over a year ago

Stockport

Remember folks "A Dog is for Life"

Or if you frequent Breadbury Hall in Stockport? It's just for a Saturday Night.

over a year ago

"More and more animals are sold over the internet and I hate it with a passion. there seems to be the same lack of accountability on the sellers' part and lack of judgement on the buyers' part, as there is on forum sites. Tbh I'd shut them ALL down. "

As a person who has created a page on facebook designed for people to buy things from each other ive never really thought about being responsible for any of the items sold. Not had any complaints of rubbish goods being bought and just presumed people would take responsibility for there own actions and purchases..

I started the group and didnt think it would turn into what is has..

over a year ago

thanks for the input.. xxx

over a year ago

"I disagree with it. There is a similar page for our area and until recently they allowed the sale of animals. The rules were changed due to several people buying animals that then turned out not to be healthy or hadn't been vaccinated and complaining about their mounting vet bills and starting arguments on the page with the sellers of the animals.

Dislike the whole thing."

. This is my experience- WITHOUT EXCEPPTION- of animals sold this way. Sick animals, those with behavioual problems, chronic illness, wrong/no breed, poor breeding bringing on health/genetic problems, terrible new homes, cruelty cases- where do I stop? Living things should NOT be sold via internet sites. Imvho.

over a year ago

We have several groups around this area (Bolton, Wigan etc) on Facebook and don't think any of them allow the sale of animals. People did try at one time, but think they've changed the rules and stopped it now.

over a year ago

Having taken a deep breath, I've stepped away from the soapbox. Sorry, Sassy. Nothing of this is aimed at you. There are very few things in Life I get impassioned about but this is one of them xx

over a year ago

The same thing happened to the lady who runs a similar Facebook page to yourself in my area. She put a complete stop on people advertising animals of any kind.

She initially posted a message saying that adds for animals would no longer be allowed and that any adds that had already been placed would be removed from the page.

Happy to send you details regarding advertising animals from her page if it will help...

over a year ago

"Having taken a deep breath, I've stepped away from the soapbox. Sorry, Sassy. Nothing of this is aimed at you. There are very few things in Life I get impassioned about but this is one of them xx"

Yeah no problems, like i said i wanted various viewpoints on it so thank you for the input. I would feel terrible if an animal was sold in good faith to another person and became sick.

I just created the platform for products (in this case animals) to be sold and hoped in good faith all owners/sellers would be liable for their individual items/animals and also that buyers would be sensible and make sure the product/animal was in correct decent health/condition before money was exchanged

over a year ago

"The same thing happened to the lady who runs a similar Facebook page to yourself in my area. She put a complete stop on people advertising animals of any kind.

She initially posted a message saying that adds for animals would no longer be allowed and that any adds that had already been placed would be removed from the page.

Happy to send you details regarding advertising animals from her page if it will help... "

If you could Lacey id be very grateful.. xx

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

"Dislike the whole thing...

This is my experience - WITHOUT EXCEPPTION - of animals sold this way: Sick animals, those with behavioual problems, chronic illness, wrong/no breed, poor breeding bringing on health/genetic problems, terrible new homes, cruelty cases - Where do I stop?

Living things should NOT be sold via internet sites. Imvho. "

It's also the fact that there is no hint of concern for their wellbeing... When we got our dog (admittedly, online) we were expecting the owner to come in, have a drink and a chat and want to get to know us a bit to see if she thought we'd be suitable to take on a dog she and her kids were clearly attached to (I would!), so I was surprised when she handed her over the minute I opened the door and said "Thanks, bye!"... Didn't come in, didn't talk to us or anything and that dog is the most loving creature in the world. I just didn't understand how people could be so careless, we could've been ANYONE.

Since I've seen just how bad it can be, I would never support anyone selling pets online. The way I look at it is you wouldn't sell your child online, so why pets?

- Amy. x

over a year ago

I'd also have a chat with your local RSPCA officer - it may help to have them on board with the idea, and could help with any mis-conceptions or problems that might occur

By *hite SnakeMan
over a year ago

leeds

Our korean neighbours got the kids a dog last year I told them a dog isnt just for Christmas they said we know we'll have the leftovers on boxing day

over a year ago

Cute if there's one thing in life that you can garantee its that when you do something no matter how innocent or well intended, ......THERE'S ALWAYS SOMEONE WHO WILL TAKE OFFENSE !

Post new Message to Thread