Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Passports

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Are same day renewals still a thing? Does anyone here work in the passport office and know what the actual waits are? I’m hearing all kinds of anecdotal tales but would like to hear from someone in the know

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Not so long ago I knew someone waiting 8 weeks. But that was a couple of months ago, he had to rebook his holiday because it didn’t arrive in time.

Might be different now though.

over a year ago

I just sent in the gov site and there no currrntly doing one day renewals it seems. As even before adding location it said sorry, no appointments are available.

over a year ago

"I just sent in the gov site and there no currrntly doing one day renewals it seems. As even before adding location it said sorry, no appointments are available."

Mine asks me to try again later.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

I have a contact in the Passport Office - what's the exact question?

over a year ago

"I have a contact in the Passport Office - what's the exact question?"

Is it possibly to get a same day or next day passport renewal? If so, how?

The website is awful.

By *ack688Man
over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

Last time I got a new passport (4 years ago?) it was at Peterborough passport office and it was done in a day, but of course you have to make an appointment in advance and make sure you have everything you will need with you, then it takes about 4 hours or so from your appointment time to when you can pick it up

over a year ago

"Last time I got a new passport (4 years ago?) it was at Peterborough passport office and it was done in a day, but of course you have to make an appointment in advance and make sure you have everything you will need with you, then it takes about 4 hours or so from your appointment time to when you can pick it up"

That’s what I’m looking to do

over a year ago

I applied for mine in March and got it 4 weeks later when I was told there was up to 12 weeks waiting.

over a year ago

Also a friend did his a Durham passport office and got it in a week.

over a year ago

As per another post. I renewed online, quickly returned old passport and new one arrived within 10 days.

Nw passports appear to be printed in bootle, so quick turnaround.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

I've always had mine done within a day as their is a passport office in Durham worth the travel

over a year ago

The online process advises up to 10 weeks, I applied online on 11th May so currently at 9weeks & counting...

over a year ago

"I applied for mine in March and got it 4 weeks later when I was told there was up to 12 weeks waiting."

Im supposed to be flying on Sunday - d’oh

I’m going to have to pay the the £48 to move my flight I think

over a year ago

"I've always had mine done within a day as their is a passport office in Durham worth the travel "

I’ll travel there if I can get a same day appointment

over a year ago

I haven't done it myself recently but a friend just had to drive up to Newcastle from London to get her son's after waiting nearly 4 months for it. She got it the day before they flew.

Pxx

over a year ago

Mine took 9 days, Childs was 2 1/2 weeks last month.

By *ack688Man
over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

This seems to be the link to get book a one day passport renewal

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/online-premium-service

over a year ago

"I haven't done it myself recently but a friend just had to drive up to Newcastle from London to get her son's after waiting nearly 4 months for it. She got it the day before they flew.

Pxx"

I don’t mind a drive but I can’t see where to book it

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

From someone inside the passport office:

"The only folk that can get a same day appt are those that are traveling within the next 4weeks AND applied over 6 weeks ago. It changes daily, tbh.

But basically, there's no upgrades for new applications."

over a year ago

"From someone inside the passport office:

"The only folk that can get a same day appt are those that are traveling within the next 4weeks AND applied over 6 weeks ago. It changes daily, tbh.

But basically, there's no upgrades for new applications.""

There goes that then

By *ilfCrumpet9Man
over a year ago

Wirral

I have just received my new passport today. Applied online about 2 weeks ago. Fill in the form online, take a photo of yourself use an online passport photo app. Attach photo to application form and send. Put your old passport in a strong envelope and register post it ASAP to passport office. Soon as they receive it they will process application. You can also track progress of where they are up to.

Hope this helps

over a year ago

"I have just received my new passport today. Applied online about 2 weeks ago. Fill in the form online, take a photo of yourself use an online passport photo app. Attach photo to application form and send. Put your old passport in a strong envelope and register post it ASAP to passport office. Soon as they receive it they will process application. You can also track progress of where they are up to.

Hope this helps "

Thanks

By *ogisticalBigManMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

You can do online renewal. You send in a picture fill out the quick form and make an appointment to go pick it up from a passport office and take your old one with you. Costs about hundred quid more than standard renewal. Did mine not long back had to travel to Durham from yorkshire to do it as Liverpool didn't have time/day I was free

By *he FAB Social - MCRCouple (FF)
over a year ago

manchester

"I have just received my new passport today. Applied online about 2 weeks ago. Fill in the form online, take a photo of yourself use an online passport photo app. Attach photo to application form and send. Put your old passport in a strong envelope and register post it ASAP to passport office. Soon as they receive it they will process application. You can also track progress of where they are up to.

Hope this helps "

I did this with my sons renewal and it took 9 weeks! I think there’s lots of factors involved as I know someone who did theirs the same way and got it back within 8 days!!

By *ilfCrumpet9Man
over a year ago

Wirral

"Are same day renewals still a thing? Does anyone here work in the passport office and know what the actual waits are? I’m hearing all kinds of anecdotal tales but would like to hear from someone in the know "

Pay for the fast track option it's about a tenner or so more

over a year ago

"I applied for mine in March and got it 4 weeks later when I was told there was up to 12 weeks waiting.

I’m going to have to pay the the £48 to move my flight I think "

I think you’ll struggle to get an appointment that quickly. My friend said he was refreshing the page constantly to get one and that was within a week.

over a year ago

"You can do online renewal. You send in a picture fill out the quick form and make an appointment to go pick it up from a passport office and take your old one with you. Costs about hundred quid more than standard renewal. Did mine not long back had to travel to Durham from yorkshire to do it as Liverpool didn't have time/day I was free"

I’m trying to do that but it says try again later!

over a year ago

"I applied for mine in March and got it 4 weeks later when I was told there was up to 12 weeks waiting.

I think you’ll struggle to get an appointment that quickly. My friend said he was refreshing the page constantly to get one and that was within a week."

It’s not a massive issue but I thought there might be a chance.

over a year ago

I think you’ll struggle to get an appointment that quickly. My friend said he was refreshing the page constantly to get one and that was within a week.

It’s not a massive issue but I thought there might be a chance. "

You could always have a look and you might get lucky but if changing your flights isn’t an issue that will probably be the easier option.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

"I've always had mine done within a day as their is a passport office in Durham worth the travel

I’ll travel there if I can get a same day appointment "

It's handy why not consider moving all together

By *phrodite_AdonisCouple
over a year ago

~~

Follow @ukpassportcheck on Twitter. It’s a bit that notifies when there are appointments available. Set a notification. Probably the best you’re going to get at this point.

over a year ago

It’s not a massive issue but I thought there might be a chance.

You could always have a look and you might get lucky but if changing your flights isn’t an issue that will probably be the easier option."

I’m going to try, if I have to drive somewhere then I will buy if not, I’ll just move my flights

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

My sons only took 2 weeks, from applying online and having to send old passport back to them. I was surprised it was so quick.

over a year ago

You won't get an appointment as you need to have been waiting a certain amount of time or it has to be an absolute emergency. The current weight is anywhere from 2 weeks to 12 weeks. Seems to be pot luck how long you wait.

over a year ago

Hey there

I literally was up at passport office yesterday , no same day apps being taken atm I think ..

I applied for a fast track one but even then I had to wait 3 weeks for an appointment and handed in my app yesterday

Post new Message to Thread