Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Live Aid Memories July 13th 1985

Jump to newest

By *og-Man OP   Man
over a year ago

somewhere

Live Aid ...July 13th 1985..

Probably the best concert ever and I suspect a lot that are old enough to remember it still have great memories of the day

What are yours

What band blew you away

Where did you watch it

I thought U2 were amazing but then Queen walked onto the stage and did the most amazing set ever

Had the whole thing taped onto VHS tapes that still exist but no video player anymore

Watched in on big screens in my local disco bar on big screens like a football match and every now and then buckets went around and everyone put their coins into it to raise funds

Then David Bowie stopped his set and played that video.

Grown adults started crying throughout the pub.....notes instead of coins started going into the buckets

What a day

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

Take the VHS tapes to a photo processing shop. They should be able to digitise on to a memory stick.

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman
over a year ago

My town

I was in hospital having my appendix out. I remember they had radio on in theatre of the concert live.

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

I can still see in my mind when Sade took off her jacket. She had a tight white top on with very prominent nipples.

I was in a shoe shop in Caernarfon when I heard Status Quo on the radio open the show.

I saw some of the early evening acts on TV before going out for a meal. It was only later and over many years , it grew and dawned on me just what a great event it was.

By *tephanjMan
over a year ago

Kettering

Hardly saw any of it or heard as my son was born a few days before, sorry this is a sad memory for me,as my son died just after his 21st birthday

By *ean counterMan
over a year ago

Kettering

I can remember Bob Geldoff being a twat but then he's very good at that ! I'd love to know how much of the money raised actually made to Africa after the managers, promoters, solicitors, middle men etc etc took their cut !!

By *og-Man OP   Man
over a year ago

somewhere

"Hardly saw any of it or heard as my son was born a few days before, sorry this is a sad memory for me,as my son died just after his 21st birthday "

Sorry to hear that....hope you have a lot of happy memories of him before he passed away

By *tephanjMan
over a year ago

Kettering

"Hardly saw any of it or heard as my son was born a few days before, sorry this is a sad memory for me,as my son died just after his 21st birthday

Sorry to hear that....hope you have a lot of happy memories of him before he passed away "

Thanks and yes I do

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Queen were awesome that day and I can remember the TV going from Wembley UK to JFK USA.

16 hours of live music for an amazing cause as well.

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

I remember that Saturday was our school sports day so we missed most of it.

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

"Take the VHS tapes to a photo processing shop. They should be able to digitise on to a memory stick."

You can buy the whole thing on DVD.

By *ocktoplaywithMan
over a year ago

Derby

Just being there was amazing, then you remembered the reasons why, particularly the video. We have to be grateful for what we have.

So many great acts, my personal favourite was U2, had never been much of a fan before but they blew me away, particularly with ‘Bad’

By *og-Man OP   Man
over a year ago

somewhere

"Take the VHS tapes to a photo processing shop. They should be able to digitise on to a memory stick.

You can buy the whole thing on DVD. "

No DVD player anymore either...

By *cotty1376Man
over a year ago

PRESTON

Got my 1st coloured TV for my birthday that day , watched it all and thought Queen made that concert !!

over a year ago

Queen we’re immense, Freddie Mercury held the audience in his hand, incredible. I thought Dire Straits and Sting were great too.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

I remember having to work hard to avoid it, as even at a young age it was obvious it was full of the usual MOR tedium I hated then and pretty much still can’t stand- as is the case with almost all the charity gigs and any large scale ‘event’ with some entertainment added …they always seem to wheel out the same usual suspects and flavour of the month, while trotting out the line ‘the entire country is excited about this’

over a year ago

Watched all of it, as it was my day off. My favourites where Queen and Phil Collins

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

"I remember having to work hard to avoid it, as even at a young age it was obvious it was full of the usual MOR tedium I hated then and pretty much still can’t stand- as is the case with almost all the charity gigs and any large scale ‘event’ with some entertainment added …they always seem to wheel out the same usual suspects and flavour of the month, while trotting out the line ‘the entire country is excited about this’ "

Blimey. You sound like a bundle of fun.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

"I remember having to work hard to avoid it, as even at a young age it was obvious it was full of the usual MOR tedium I hated then and pretty much still can’t stand- as is the case with almost all the charity gigs and any large scale ‘event’ with some entertainment added …they always seem to wheel out the same usual suspects and flavour of the month, while trotting out the line ‘the entire country is excited about this’

Blimey. You sound like a bundle of fun."

I've probably seen more live music than 99% of the forum- i just prefer something a bit more original than the "i'll listen to anything with a tune" fodder

By *viatrixWoman
over a year ago

Redhill

I had no idea of it happening at the time to be honest I was moving across the country, new school, etc, so that may have been why.

Need to sit down some time and watch it on YouTube.

By *ou only live onceMan
over a year ago

London

No memories at all, but I got my Dad's t-shirt many years later.

I can't imagine why my parents didn't want to take their then 5 year old son with him! Bastards.

By *og-Man OP   Man
over a year ago

somewhere

"I remember having to work hard to avoid it, as even at a young age it was obvious it was full of the usual MOR tedium I hated then and pretty much still can’t stand- as is the case with almost all the charity gigs and any large scale ‘event’ with some entertainment added …they always seem to wheel out the same usual suspects and flavour of the month, while trotting out the line ‘the entire country is excited about this’

Blimey. You sound like a bundle of fun.

I've probably seen more live music than 99% of the forum- i just prefer something a bit more original than the "i'll listen to anything with a tune" fodder "

In fairness at the time they were the biggest musical acts in the world and They were afraid that no one would watch or donate without them

The acts that you listened to at the time ....are they still going

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Everyone had gone to the beach for the day. I watched most of this instead knowing it was something special. Thought the bands were great.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

"

The acts that you listened to at the time ....are they still going "

The mid 80's was a bit shit for music as it was a bit of a wilderness between the post punk/early hiphop/electro/new romantic scenes at the decade start and the indie/goth/rave scenes at the end- so we were basically stuck with yacht rock, poodle rock and pop.

The majority of the bands i saw back then are still going strong in some form and i would have gone to see one last month if i hadn't booked my holiday the week before they announced the tour dates

By *dward_TeagueMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

I remember staying up until the wee small hours to catch the end of the Philly show, Jagger and Tina Turner were incredible.

The Wembley show was good, it really made U2’s career and pulled Queen back from the virtual blackballing they’d received for playing Sun City in apartheid South Africa.

By *bsolutebeginnersCouple
over a year ago

Planet Ork

We were teenagers at the time and watched nearly all of it. Queen stole the show but other hi lights were u2, Ultravox and status quo.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Queen the end !!

If you watch the Bohemian Rhapsody film then their performance makes it all the more amazing

By *avexxMan
over a year ago

cheshire

it was a great day midge ure did a lot of work behind the scenes,, but knob head geldof took all the praise,, queen stole the show amazing

By *irty scubyMan
over a year ago

strokestown

I watched the quo start it all off then went off to get married!!

Was over by the time I got home!!

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"Queen the end !!

If you watch the Bohemian Rhapsody film then their performance makes it all the more amazing "

He didn't actually know he ad AIDS then, that's just the movie

over a year ago

Who was the copper who came on stage and complained about the noise.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

My obvious best memory was being there.

Concorde flying over and we all knew Phil Collins was on board heading to the US part.

Poor Paul McCartney's face when he got booed but didn't know the sound system had gone.

The hours it took to get out of there afterwards

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"Who was the copper who came on stage and complained about the noise."

That was Smith & Jones I think, a comedy act.

over a year ago

I know I did watch some of it we was on holiday in Cornwall. I vaguely remember Bono singing a song, bad, that sounds a lot better there than it sounds on record.

over a year ago

I know exactly where I was in the crowd during Queen’s set and I’m always freeze framing.

Never spotted myself yet.

over a year ago

The full Queen set is on You Tube awesome GBNF Freddy Mercury was a legend

Post new Message to Thread