Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

"Children in need"

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I have been in tears so many times tonight, and having a severely Disabled child at 13yrs that is non-verbal. My biggest fear is not knowing if she is seriously ill. Although i have a fabulous Doctor which will pull out all stops for her dosn't stop me worrying!

I have donated £50 which really i could not afford, but it goes to OUR children which need it. I have visited Hospice's etc.

So how have you helped this wonderful cause???

(Perky)

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

As well as donating financially I used to donate my time and answer the phones on the night. Couldn't do it this year though sadly.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

I'm not convinced giving money you can't afford is what Children in Need is about.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Heartbreaking stuff .

over a year ago

"As well as donating financially I used to donate my time and answer the phones on the night. Couldn't do it this year though sadly."

You are a star..

over a year ago

"I'm not convinced giving money you can't afford is what Children in Need is about."

Until you are that position you will never know xx

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

Actually did anyone hear a young girl named Cara on the Chris Evans show ..... She was fantastic.

Just chatting about children in need but a wee inspirational talker, think she 9

over a year ago

Like it or not I refuse to give any money to any charity after once seeing a job advertisement for a P.A to a charity director, starting pay 30k new company car upgraded every 2 years plus generous fuel and expenses account!

That's where the money goes.........

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I'm not convinced giving money you can't afford is what Children in Need is about.

Until you are that position you will never know xx "

I dunno what that means but why give money you can't afford?

Where's the net sum gain?

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

"As well as donating financially I used to donate my time and answer the phones on the night. Couldn't do it this year though sadly.

You are a star.. "

Awww, shucks... Thanks

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

"Like it or not I refuse to give any money to any charity after once seeing a job advertisement for a P.A to a charity director, starting pay 30k new company car upgraded every 2 years plus generous fuel and expenses account!

That's where the money goes.........

"

I've met some people who are employed by different charities. It's a fact of life that although a charity doesn't have shareholders it is very much run like any other organisation and it exists to make a profit.

In order for charities to function they need to employ people who are good at their jobs. £30K isn't that big a deal if that person brings in more money than they cost the charity. You can't run a charity purely on volunteers.

Those charities have to pay expenses such as rent, insurance, etc... and salaries aren't any different to that. It's an operating cost they have to incur to help them generate higher profits.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

There are too many charities and trusts doing pretty much the same thing, duplicating the efforts or the others and running up admin costs in the process.

The Charity Commissioners and OSCaR have recognised this for years but it's still a hard sell to the public.

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I usually donate to CiN, but this year have chosen to donate the same amount to a local charity for a local girl (sorry if that sounds like The League of Gentlemen)

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

"There are too many charities and trusts doing pretty much the same thing, duplicating the efforts or the others and running up admin costs in the process.

The Charity Commissioners and OSCaR have recognised this for years but it's still a hard sell to the public."

I agree. I've often wondered whether the pharmaceutical companies wouldn't be better polling their huge resources together to try and find cures for various conditions, instead of all having their own research labs hoping they'll be the ones who discover some magic cure and then make trillions for themselves. Mankind would benefit even if their shareholders wouldn't.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"There are too many charities and trusts doing pretty much the same thing, duplicating the efforts or the others and running up admin costs in the process.

The Charity Commissioners and OSCaR have recognised this for years but it's still a hard sell to the public.

I agree. I've often wondered whether the pharmaceutical companies wouldn't be better polling their huge resources together to try and find cures for various conditions, instead of all having their own research labs hoping they'll be the ones who discover some magic cure and then make trillions for themselves. Mankind would benefit even if their shareholders wouldn't."

Without shareholders most of these firms wouldn't have got started in the first place.

My gripe, such as it is, is about those who pick a 'cause', possibly personal and make a fuss about it, appointing themselves as chief exec on a good salary and, as time progresses, appoint their kith and kin as office bearers - also on a good wages.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Charities are businesses but the shareholder profit motive is not what it is about for the vast majority. When I see people saying that there are too many doing the same things I agree but I also get annoyed. No one suggests that we should only have one supermarket. The reason that there are so many doing similar things is because they may have a different ethos, targets, reasons for being created - however subtle.

Most charities in this country have no paid staff and operate at under £10k a year. The biggies take the bulk of money in donations and are big businesses. They do not create jobs for kith and kin. Redundancies and closures in the charitable sector are happening every day.

Charities have to pay rent and electricity and rates (lots of local authorities are removing charitable rate allowances) and petrol and CRB checks and insurance and salaries at market rates. The costs of running a charity are considerable. As is the bureaucracy. Charities have to produce audited accounts and file with the Charity Commission and Companies House. Fundraising is not a charitable activity per se and cannot be counted as such in the accounts.

Some aren't run well but they tend not to survive. Some are run better than some FTSE companies I have seen. All get lumped together but they fall into many industry sectors.

One of the charities featured on the show was the Back Up Trust - just look at their web-site and and tell me that what they do is not worth supporting.

Finally, Perky, have a look at the Special Yoga Centre for your daughter. They never turn a child away. They had CinN funding some time ago and it enabled children with severe disabilities to access support one to one that they had never had before. It's a remarkable place.

over a year ago

"

Finally, Perky, have a look at the Special Yoga Centre for your daughter. They never turn a child away. They had CinN funding some time ago and it enabled children with severe disabilities to access support one to one that they had never had before. It's a remarkable place.

"

By *exki11enWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

I worked the call centre last night, answering phones and taking donations.

It was such a good atmosphere and I just wish I could have stayed longer.

I took in £320 in the time I was there. some people were so generous.

over a year ago

I Cryed with the story about 2 boys that passed away well I picked the phone and give £20 + got the pudsey Lego for my son awesome

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

If you wanna help, help children in need.. Sorry the catchphrase popped into my head..

What some charities do are so worthwhile and needed..

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

read somewhere that the RNLI are taxed a substantial amount?

effectively they are providing a public service, if they are taxed by hmg thats clearly wrong..

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"read somewhere that the RNLI are taxed a substantial amount?

effectively they are providing a public service, if they are taxed by hmg thats clearly wrong.."

Yes, charities are taxed on trading activities. VAT is not reclaimable in the same way as for businesses and it costs charities millions every year. When services are 'procured' by local authorities and government departments and not commissioned as a grant (pure and simple, rather than a service) then VAT is payable and that money is lost to the charity clients.

Don't forget to Gift Aid if you pay taxes.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Charities are businesses but the shareholder profit motive is not what it is about for the vast majority. When I see people saying that there are too many doing the same things I agree but I also get annoyed. No one suggests that we should only have one supermarket. The reason that there are so many doing similar things is because they may have a different ethos, targets, reasons for being created - however subtle.

Most charities in this country have no paid staff and operate at under £10k a year. The biggies take the bulk of money in donations and are big businesses. They do not create jobs for kith and kin. Redundancies and closures in the charitable sector are happening every day.

Charities have to pay rent and electricity and rates (lots of local authorities are removing charitable rate allowances) and petrol and CRB checks and insurance and salaries at market rates. The costs of running a charity are considerable. As is the bureaucracy. Charities have to produce audited accounts and file with the Charity Commission and Companies House. Fundraising is not a charitable activity per se and cannot be counted as such in the accounts.

Some aren't run well but they tend not to survive. Some are run better than some FTSE companies I have seen. All get lumped together but they fall into many industry sectors.

One of the charities featured on the show was the Back Up Trust - just look at their web-site and and tell me that what they do is not worth supporting.

"

Post new Message to Thread