Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Does like attract like…

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So after some serious evening observations on my walk tonight I’ve seen many a couple where they look like each other…

V tall lanky man grey hair & glasses walking with his v tall skinny wife with grey hair & glasses

Red head couple, both same height, face shapes & similar glasses…

Older couple, portly, grey hair and same walking style….

So my question is do we unconsciously look for someone like us or do we absorb each other’s traits & styles…

Thoughts, observations & opinions please…

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

People look like their dogs. That's all I know.

By *riel13Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

No! I have never had a partner or bf that looked anything like me... The men I like/liked are all very different too

over a year ago

Like a kind of osmosis? Interesting. I think you might be right.

By *yrdsisWoman
over a year ago

Gleam Street

Dunno...hubby and I are both tall.. he has an excellent beard...I do not.

He has 5 tattoos... I have over 30

So... maybe no quite?

By *oo..Woman
over a year ago

Boo's World

No, I'd be worried if any Man I was interested in looked anything like I do

over a year ago

I wouldn't say it's as hard and fast as that, but you can generally see the vein of similarities in some couples. Shared interests, hobbies and lifestyles can lead to similar physiques, certain styles of outfit and demeanour.

I'm sure there are as many similar couples as not, as there's nothing queer as folk. Though I always enjoy seeing a couple mirror each other, with a certain flair, happy demeanour or simply sharing in the misery

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Its not just limited to physical attributes.

You find a lot of dickish people attract other dickish people.

I think people that are together a long time pick up or develop traits that bring them into line with each other. You are less likely to dress or act in a way that your partner doesn’t like, which leads to you wearing similar styles.

over a year ago

No, my wife and I are physically polar opposites.

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

Think as a couple grow together we become more similar.

The way we dress and conduct ourselves maybe not so much look alike.

over a year ago

No ....my ex was bald

By *ocopops1962Man
over a year ago

Glasgow / Lindon

Interesting observation , maybe they were brother and sister out for a stroll lol ….. from my personal experience partners have always been different physical types ( I would be bored by looking at someone who looked like me ) and I do know plenty of couples ahi are polar opposites .

By *iaisonseekerMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

The affinity between romantic partners can come from many sources: similar backgrounds, interests, values and, yes, appearances.

My ideal woman would be a sex-crazed librarian who looks like Mr Bean's girlfriend. Go figure.

By *agicM53XMan
over a year ago

Orpington

I'd love to find the female version of myself

By *ull English with teaMan
over a year ago

London

Not if you visit Pattaya…

over a year ago

"The affinity between romantic partners can come from many sources: similar backgrounds, interests, values and, yes, appearances.

My ideal woman would be a sex-crazed librarian who looks like Mr Bean's girlfriend. Go figure."

I think I’ve seen her in Waterstones ?

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

"Its not just limited to physical attributes.

You find a lot of dickish people attract other dickish people.

I think people that are together a long time pick up or develop traits that bring them into line with each other. You are less likely to dress or act in a way that your partner doesn’t like, which leads to you wearing similar styles."

I'd agree with this. I think that for some there's a definite physical likeness, I've noticed it before as well OP. For others it's more their general outlook, mannerisms. I think it's kind of sweet when people dress in a similar fashion to be honest. Like they're rubbed off on each other in a cute compatible way.

By *iaisonseekerMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"The affinity between romantic partners can come from many sources: similar backgrounds, interests, values and, yes, appearances.

My ideal woman would be a sex-crazed librarian who looks like Mr Bean's girlfriend. Go figure.

I think I’ve seen her in Waterstones ? "

Funnily enough I do mooch about Waterstone's in the hope that a kindred spirit will come up to me and quote Camus before ravishing me in the Fantasy section.

I usually end up in self-help though

By *assing Fancies xCouple
over a year ago

Sherwood Forest

I think myself and Mr don't resemble eachother nor are our personalities alike the only similarities we have is our height...

we've been together 15 years and yeah we have picked up a few of eachothers mannerisms I still think we are both very individual people both in looks, style, taste and the way we carry ourselves in everyday life

Ask me in another 15 years and that answer may have changed

over a year ago

"People look like their dogs. That's all I know."

I'm going to buy a Shar PEI then.

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Sometimes I believe so.

….but sometimes not.

(I now scoop proudly, the most vague answer award)

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 12/07/22 21:08:50]

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Me and my ex didn't look similar but there were many eerie similarities between us. It was nice to understand each other on such a level though because of it.

By *inkywife1981Couple
over a year ago

A town near you

"So after some serious evening observations on my walk tonight I’ve seen many a couple where they look like each other…

V tall lanky man grey hair & glasses walking with his v tall skinny wife with grey hair & glasses

So my question is do we unconsciously look for someone like us or do we absorb each other’s traits & styles…

Thoughts, observations & opinions please…"

I'm 5ft8, blue eyes with natural ginger hair though I dye it a dark red, full figured.

Hubby is 5ft 11 well built stocky type with fair hair and blue eyes

over a year ago

"People look like their dogs. That's all I know.

I'm going to buy a Shar PEI then. "

The pen?

over a year ago

I know a couple who look like siblings. They are most definitely not related! Isn't there a theory that a woman will be subconsciously attracted to men who look similar to their father's? I'm not sure how much truth there is in that, it seems a bit Freudian.

By * and R cple4Couple
over a year ago

swansea

We look nothing at all like each other and even tho we’ve been together 29 years our personalities are totally different..

over a year ago

"I know a couple who look like siblings. They are most definitely not related! Isn't there a theory that a woman will be subconsciously attracted to men who look similar to their father's? I'm not sure how much truth there is in that, it seems a bit Freudian. "

Who are women who never knew their fathers attracted to

By *yrdsisWoman
over a year ago

Gleam Street

Husband is nothing like my Dad....

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

Yes in some ways and no in others. And I think the ways we're not similar are probably more important. Our differences help us learn from each other and grow together. We are both not perfect and both have different backgrounds. But we are very honest with each other and communicate well together (and our communication has continued to improve over the years). Because of our differences and communication we learn off each other, make each other a better person and thus ultimately make our relationship better.

over a year ago

Oh fuck I listed this on a whim of observation and am loving the thoughtful responses..

Yes they do say dogs look like their owners I’m now pondering if that true of wives & husbands.

I mean I didn’t look like my cocker spaniel but he was annoying unruly twat so maybe I rubbed off on him!

I get that we adapt our mannerisms and possibly way of dressing but it’s the couples who are clearly not siblings but look alike that intrigue me..

By *ampWithABrainWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

There’s science to back some of this up. Some people are attracted to people who look similar to them but more often it’s a case of the more time you spend with someone you tend to develop similar tastes in clothing, hairstyle etc

But the most fascinating part is that we mimic each other’s facial muscle tensions and over time that makes us have similar looking faces

over a year ago

"Husband is nothing like my Dad...."

My ex husband is nothing like my dad either.

By *indergirlWoman
over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

"So after some serious evening observations on my walk tonight I’ve seen many a couple where they look like each other…

Thoughts, observations & opinions please…"

You've met both of us you tell me

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Husband is nothing like my Dad....

My ex husband is nothing like my dad either. "

I do have one ex that while he doesn't look like my dad, he does have a number of features in common with him .

over a year ago

I do have one ex that while he doesn't look like my dad, he does have a number of features in common with him . "

Did you realise that while you were with him or only in hindsight? I think I'd have to dump someone if I realised they were like my Dad

By *adyBugsWoman
over a year ago

cognito

Yep and all dogs look like their owners too. Fact.

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

I suppose it depends on the person, I usually find those who look very different to me to be attractive. Someone with tattoos or different colour hair for example

By *adyBugsWoman
over a year ago

cognito

But being serious, yes people attract similar people. Not necessarily physically similar but definitely subconsciously similar values and other personality traits. Sometimes not positive either, you might have toxic traits that you attract other toxic people to, in this situation you need to realise that is the case and be able to break that cycle and walk away from it. Far easier said than done as we are conditioned by society to not enjoy being alone especially if you are a woman.

over a year ago

Thoughts, observations & opinions please…

You've met both of us you tell me "

Ha ha well as you’ve got flame red hair not so sure on the similarities there but height wise not so sure… but kindred spirits for sure… smiley positive but with wicked looks in your eyes!!

over a year ago

I do have one ex that while he doesn't look like my dad, he does have a number of features in common with him . "

I know I’ve previously gone for very matter of fact emotionally unavailable men quick to make a negative comment vs a positive one like my Dad does.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I do have one ex that while he doesn't look like my dad, he does have a number of features in common with him .

Did you realise that while you were with him or only in hindsight? I think I'd have to dump someone if I realised they were like my Dad "

I realised while I was with him. He doesn't look like him and as a person is quite different, it was amusing more than anything that on paper they had a lot of things in common.

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

"I know a couple who look like siblings. They are most definitely not related! Isn't there a theory that a woman will be subconsciously attracted to men who look similar to their father's? I'm not sure how much truth there is in that, it seems a bit Freudian. "

It's quite Freudian... I can safely say that I'm attracted to men who are the opposite of my dad. Physically.

Oh great Nelly, now I'm thinking about this. It's too late for soul searching.

over a year ago

"I know a couple who look like siblings. They are most definitely not related! Isn't there a theory that a woman will be subconsciously attracted to men who look similar to their father's? I'm not sure how much truth there is in that, it seems a bit Freudian.

It's quite Freudian... I can safely say that I'm attracted to men who are the opposite of my dad. Physically.

Oh great Nelly, now I'm thinking about this. It's too late for soul searching. "

See I don’t go for men physically similar to my Dad but personality wise v much so! Entrenched behaviour…

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Nope! He's tall, slim, dark and handsome. I'm average height, fat, light skin/blue eyes and average appearance.

Where we are similar is intellectually. Our interests are vastly different though. But here we are, 18yrs later.

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

"I know a couple who look like siblings. They are most definitely not related! Isn't there a theory that a woman will be subconsciously attracted to men who look similar to their father's? I'm not sure how much truth there is in that, it seems a bit Freudian.

See I don’t go for men physically similar to my Dad but personality wise v much so! Entrenched behaviour…"

I think this might be an actual thing. Are men who have a similar personality to your dad necessarily a bad thing though? It feels weird asking this. I'll add pink fizz in to this convo at the weekend, it'll be easier.

over a year ago

North West

Also Mr KC looks naff all like my Dad. My Dad is/was 6ft 1, very well built, rugby type. He's only ever had grey hair in my memory so I actually don't know exactly what colour it was

over a year ago

See I don’t go for men physically similar to my Dad but personality wise v much so! Entrenched behaviour…

I think this might be an actual thing. Are men who have a similar personality to your dad necessarily a bad thing though? It feels weird asking this. I'll add pink fizz in to this convo at the weekend, it'll be easier. "

Yep this is a big convo to have… I don’t want to attract my Dads personality though!!!!

over a year ago

"Also Mr KC looks naff all like my Dad. My Dad is/was 6ft 1, very well built, rugby type. He's only ever had grey hair in my memory so I actually don't know exactly what colour it was "

And Mrs KC completely disproves my well founded theory from river walking observation!

over a year ago

North West

"Also Mr KC looks naff all like my Dad. My Dad is/was 6ft 1, very well built, rugby type. He's only ever had grey hair in my memory so I actually don't know exactly what colour it was

And Mrs KC completely disproves my well founded theory from river walking observation! "

Sorry, amiga

Post new Message to Thread