Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

would you...

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Take on a very very ill child from a family member if it meant that the child could stay as part of the family?

The other option is letting it go into care Advice on this is very welcome

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

yes, I sure would

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

100% yes and had an aunt who had to bring up her own grandson for years as his parents couldnt cope with his illness

over a year ago

yes i would if i was able to.

over a year ago

Yes, wirhout a doubt

over a year ago

Of course, family matters, I couldn't see a child go into care because they are poorly.

over a year ago

yes i would

By *xodussxMan
over a year ago

sheffield

Family is family. Keep that child and make your place a real home for the child

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

Without a shadow of a doubt.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

in a heartbeat, no questions about it

over a year ago

Yes, yes and oh yes

over a year ago

Yes I would.

over a year ago

yes definitely.

Without a doubt xx

over a year ago

Absolutely yes!! Wouldn't even cross my mind to question it!!!

over a year ago

My immediate response would be to say 'yes' but only with both medical and professional support in addition to support of those around me who may also be touched by my decision.

Without those and with the best of intentions and you may be biting off more than you can chew and despite thinking the opposite you may not be offering the child the best outcome for him or her.

over a year ago

"My immediate response would be to say 'yes' but only with both medical and professional support in addition to support of those around me who may also be touched by my decision.

Without those and with the best of intentions and you may be biting off more than you can chew and despite thinking the opposite you may not be offering the child the best outcome for him or her."

Similar thoughts here...would love to just be able to say yes and do it, but is it the most appropriate and can you offer the right level of care required? It's all very well making the liked response, but that's not always the same as making the right response x

By *histler21Man
over a year ago

Ipswich

I have no idea until I was put in that position.

over a year ago

"My immediate response would be to say 'yes' but only with both medical and professional support in addition to support of those around me who may also be touched by my decision.

Without those and with the best of intentions and you may be biting off more than you can chew and despite thinking the opposite you may not be offering the child the best outcome for him or her."

That's a very lucid answer and one I agree with. Immediately your heart says yes, of course it does, but you have to consider what's best for the child. Being put into care (with all the horror stories you hear in the media) doesn't sound like the best option, but you have to think seriously about what you'd actually be taking on. If you feel you are capable of it then go for it 100%. Poor child though, that's such a sad situation to be faced with.

over a year ago

Yes, couldn't see a child go into care if I could prevent it and I was able to take care of them

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I'd like to say yes, but hand on heart, as a childless adult by choice, I don't know if I'd be able to hack it...Major respect to anyone who can and does, but as Bussy said, there would have to be the proper support in place...perhaps the option of the child being taken into care, but still having visitation, support, etc from the family members who potentially could take that child on

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

going along bussy's line of thought, this did happen to a friend of mine. Her brother in law and sister died within a year of each other, leaving behind a son who had downs syndrome.

She was asked if she would take custody of him and after thinking about it she decided she couldt do it and signed her guardianship over to the authorities. it wasnt an easy decision but she considered what was est for him.

He was severly downs and required constant care, he would bite and kick people. He went to live at a school in Bristol and they kept in contact with him. He flourished at the school and became a lot more socially capable as a result.

over a year ago

I have a severely disabled nephew with cerebral palsy, he cant talk, walk. Needs constant 24 hour care, incontinence, needs feeding, everything. If anything happened to my sister/brother in law, I honestly could never see him go into care x

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Thank you very much my immediate thought was yes but upon thinking about it its a lot more complicated than yes or no its about what's best for the child there could be more qualified people to care for him and I wouldn't want him to miss out on anything he deserves just to keep him in the family.

over a year ago

Yes what I would ask myself is what would I think everyday if I put the child in care,get all the support you can to help you,good luck with whatever decision u make xx

over a year ago

Yes. My mum done it, she took on my nephew when my brother and his wife split and they were both more interested in drugs than the welfare of their child

By *aris23Woman
over a year ago

France

I have had the care of my 4 year grandson for the past two years. While he's not ill it is still a massive commitment however I love him more than I can ever say and there was no way I was going to let him be anywhere else. Hope everything works out best for you and the child in question.

Post new Message to Thread