Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Manchesters police commissioner

Jump to newest

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

Who in their right mind would vote a politician with no policing experience into this post.

Manchester labour voters you are astonishing.!

This post (we are stuck with em so might as well vote for one) without any doubt should have gone Liberal. He was the ONLY candidate with policing experience.

Political persuasion should never have entered into it.

The guy applied got the role purely for salary...no other reason.

Anyone disagree or is it just me?

Manchester replies would be welcomed

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I think that it was a reflection on who people vote for in Manchester. It's predominantly labour and so the labour candidate got in.

over a year ago

"Who in their right mind would vote a politician with no policing experience into this post.

"

Londoners. Boris has a big say in The Met's performance and priorities and has for a while

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

Do you think the candidate makes sense to be voted in though?

I'm just astounded someone without any idea of the policing system can get the appointment

I'm actually pretty mad at Mancunians right now lol

over a year ago

Sorry this isn't a reply from Manchester, but I'd take issue with your statement that a Police Commissioner needs to have policing experience.

My brother retired as a senior police officer about 10 years ago after 31 years service. After I started work and saw a different style of management to that in the Police, I became increasingly annoyed/frustrated with the entrenched 'we do it this way cos we're the Police' attitude I always got quoted both by my brother and those of his colleagues I met over the years.

Later, in the 90's, I worked at the Home Office and had a lot to do with HM Inspector of Constabulary. As a result I met an even wider cross section of senior police officers from a range of forces.

If there is one thing the Police Service in this country needs, it is an serious updating of their management attitudes - and they won't get that from someone who comes from within the Police.

However..... I also don't think that the way the Government has gone about this latest exercise in stupidity is the way to go about it either. Allowing almost anyone - many with NO experience of senior management or decision making at a strategic level - to put themselves up for election and be put into a £60k a year post with HUGE influence over the direction of the Police Service in question is just plain ludicrous. As for allowing those standing to do so with a political stand point, well... words fail me....

Pity I didn't have this rant yesterday...

over a year ago

"

If there is one thing the Police Service in this country needs, it is an serious updating of their management attitudes - and they won't get that from someone who comes from within the Police.

However..... I also don't think that the way the Government has gone about this latest exercise in stupidity is the way to go about it either. Allowing almost anyone - many with NO experience of senior management or decision making at a strategic level - to put themselves up for election and be put into a £60k a year post with HUGE influence over the direction of the Police Service in question is just plain ludicrous. As for allowing those standing to do so with a political stand point, well... words fail me....

"

My brother is a senior police officer and he said to me much the same thing. He's got 4 years left and can't wait to get out

By *xodussxMan
over a year ago

sheffield

"Who in their right mind would vote a politician with no policing experience into this post.

This post (we are stuck with em so might as well vote for one) without any doubt should have gone Liberal. He was the ONLY candidate with policing experience.

"

. Have you voted? If yes who for? And how many people haave tried to persuade to vote? Only asking

over a year ago

"

My brother is a senior police officer and he said to me much the same thing. He's got 4 years left and can't wait to get out"

Don't blame him...

over a year ago

"

I don't know why you are so shocked they are Mancunians after all and you can't expect a lot

over a year ago

"

I think it was badly publicised altogether.

I never received a leaflet from anyone - only an authority to vote.

I saw no sign of it in any of the local press, although I believe there was 1 page on it in 1 of the GMG Locals.

Like you shag, I think the Lib Dem guy with the policing experience would have made a good choice.

It was obvious, however, that Tony Lloyd would walk it.

People don't look at the candidates 0 they look at the party and sometimes what they stand for - but more often than not, people vote like sheep.

Let's hope his experience at both a local and national level is enough leverage to allow him to do what needs to be done.

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

. Have you voted? If yes who for? And how many people haave tried to persuade to vote? Only asking"

Yes I've voted, I voted for the only candidate able to do the job.

If you would have looked at the Manchester candidates

1 was an nhs manager

1 was an ex ice hockey player

1 was a politician and ex chairman

1 was ukip and have no info save ukips website

1 was a policeman of 30 years.

Nobody tried to persuade my decision, I looked on line at the candidates.

I cannot believe Manchesters (well 13.5%) decision

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

"

Like you shag, I think the Lib Dem guy with the policing experience would have made a good choice.

It was obvious, however, that Tony Lloyd would walk it.

People don't look at the candidates 0 they look at the party and sometimes what they stand for - but more often than not, people vote like sheep.

Let's hope his experience at both a local and national level is enough leverage to allow him to do what needs to be done.

"

I thought I was going mad. So sad he has been voted through... Times like these only the best policies will get us out not party loyalty.. Ish.. Hmmm

By *ndebs47Couple
over a year ago

Bury

Totally agree with you Athlete,if the election had been conducted on merit ,not on political party prejudices we'd all be better off, we voted,but some of the candidates didnt even bother to fill in the on line statements......

over a year ago

It's all bollocks, politics seep into everything these days.

I vote for Paul Massey in the general elections cause I know Paul wouldn't/ couldn't be influenced by all the political bullshit

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

no doubt there will be whales of police sirens gaining the publics confidence that the bobbies are back on the political beat

over a year ago

I have problems just getting the police to respond to a gang fight at work.

The pcso's vanish every Friday and Saturday night cause they can't be arsed.

It's a joke

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

I just have a job not laughing at any copper who tries not to act like the've just inserted a 12" dildo into their arse. Cant fucking stand their attitudes

over a year ago

"I just have a job not laughing at any copper who tries not to act like the've just inserted a 12" dildo into their arse. Cant fucking stand their attitudes"

I agree!! They seem to think the uniform makes them better than everyone else...but I will say I do know a few officers that are great to work a long side of and are genuine.

over a year ago

"I just have a job not laughing at any copper who tries not to act like the've just inserted a 12" dildo into their arse. Cant fucking stand their attitudes

I agree!! They seem to think the uniform makes them better than everyone else...but I will say I do know a few officers that are great to work a long side of and are genuine. "

I think the uniform effect does come into play - more so that once it is on, they think they should or need to act in a certain way.

One of my best friends is a policeman and he is one of the most genuine, loving, soft centred, considerate men I have ever known. Out of work.

In work, people may see him differently cos they don't see the friend, husband, dad, son, brother, uncle - all they see is the uniform !

over a year ago

"I just have a job not laughing at any copper who tries not to act like the've just inserted a 12" dildo into their arse. Cant fucking stand their attitudes"

We have a rather nice policeman friend who swings both ways. Very accommodating chap he is too and sure knows what to do with his truncheon!

By *histler21Man
over a year ago

Ipswich

"Sorry this isn't a reply from Manchester, but I'd take issue with your statement that a Police Commissioner needs to have policing experience.

My brother retired as a senior police officer about 10 years ago after 31 years service. After I started work and saw a different style of management to that in the Police, I became increasingly annoyed/frustrated with the entrenched 'we do it this way cos we're the Police' attitude I always got quoted both by my brother and those of his colleagues I met over the years.

Later, in the 90's, I worked at the Home Office and had a lot to do with HM Inspector of Constabulary. As a result I met an even wider cross section of senior police officers from a range of forces.

"

I thought it was 100k...

By *kywatcherMan
over a year ago

Southwick

"no doubt there will be whales of police sirens gaining the publics confidence that the bobbies are back on the political beat "
Aah yes...the old "whales of police sirens"...what would be the porpoise of that?

Post new Message to Thread