Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Is calorie counting a bad thing?

Jump to newest

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I watched a fun video from coach greg, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Ape814R5c where he talked about another video from matt d'avella, where he counted every single calorie for 30 days, it changed his life as he learned so much about nutrition, like how many calories there are in food and especially in peanut butter, what is your view about it, is it a bad or a good thing?

I think all in all it is a good thing, more so when one start out dieting, after a while you dont need to do it so much as you know it by heart.

I dont count or weigh my food as much anymore. I am eye balling it. I kind of know how many calories each meal will be, so will log the calories accordingly. I use mynetdiary, it is fun

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"I watched a fun video from coach greg, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Ape814R5c where he talked about another video from matt d'avella, where he counted every single calorie for 30 days, it changed his life as he learned so much about nutrition, like how many calories there are in food and especially in peanut butter, what is your view about it, is it a bad or a good thing?

I think all in all it is a good thing, more so when one start out dieting, after a while you dont need to do it so much as you know it by heart.

I dont count or weigh my food as much anymore. I am eye balling it. I kind of know how many calories each meal will be, so will log the calories accordingly. I use mynetdiary, it is fun "

Knowing and understanding what you put in your body and why has to be a good thing doesn't it?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Calorie counting on it's own is at best informative and at worst obsessive, time wasting , boring .....

Calorie counting AFTER you've paid attention to individual needs and food groups ...... that's healthy.

No point in knowing you need 2000 cals per day and eating it all in chocolate and jam toast.

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

"Calorie counting on it's own is at best informative and at worst obsessive, time wasting , boring .....

Calorie counting AFTER you've paid attention to individual needs and food groups ...... that's healthy.

No point in knowing you need 2000 cals per day and eating it all in chocolate and jam toast. "

For me this was the biggest bonus from calorie counting. You very quickly get to learn which foods make you feel the fullest for the least calorie intake and these are invariably better for you. Protein fills you for longer for a given calorie count than carbs, non processed food, complex carbs all the same. For us, as soon as we started calorie counting we found that what we chose to eat to fill our quota changed for the better.

Mr

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Calorie counting is a good way to start but understanding macros is much more important.

I can lose weight without counting any calories just by increasing protein and limiting certain foods. If I started counting macros I could probably be in the best shape of my life but I prefer to enjoy myself and not obsess over food.

over a year ago

I started counting when I first got back into exercising and trying to eat cleaner. As I’ve progressed, I’ve started to count more intuitively without feeling the need to log and track.

Although having said that, as I change the type of exercise I do, my nutritional needs differ, so I may pop a few days worth of tracking into myfitnesspal so I can see where I need to add or remove certain food groups.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"I watched a fun video from coach greg, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Ape814R5c where he talked about another video from matt d'avella, where he counted every single calorie for 30 days, it changed his life as he learned so much about nutrition, like how many calories there are in food and especially in peanut butter, what is your view about it, is it a bad or a good thing?

I dont count or weigh my food as much anymore. I am eye balling it. I kind of know how many calories each meal will be, so will log the calories accordingly. I use mynetdiary, it is fun

Knowing and understanding what you put in your body and why has to be a good thing doesn't it? "

Yes, it is a good thing too

over a year ago

I think it can be helpful to realign your understanding of what 2,500 calories looks like.

Food scales and my fitness pal help key you in to more intuitive eating habits.

Like with everything, needs and musts along with an overly exuberant approach might have negative consequences, but for those unfortunate enough to be triggered by such systems the problems were probably already there, and as such avoidance of these things isn't the solution to that set of issues.

So in a nut shell, yeah, it's good, health is wealth etc.

over a year ago

Yes I have to calorie count everything I eat as well as my daughter who we both have type 1 diabetes, it is not a bad thing,

By *xploring_FunWoman
over a year ago

Coventry

Calorie counting really helped me when I started losing weight because it highlighted the massive calorie differences in things that I didn’t expect.

I was calorie counting everything and got a massive shock when something substituted by the supermarket was 200 calories more than the almost identical looking thing I’d ordered.

Checking a few things I discovered quite a few things that looked like they should have been very similar (same item, same weight etc) but were vastly difference.

over a year ago

Iv been under 1200 the last 4 days its not been all that hard so far in this heat

over a year ago

For me it was key to actually losing weight. After a while you don’t even need to count them because you work out what your body needs. I lost 8 stone a year ago and I’ve maintained it since without the need to watch everything that I eat

over a year ago

Calorie counting is the key if you are seriously looking to lose weight. You’ve got to know what you are putting in your body. What your bmr / tdee is in order for you to work out how many calories you need to lose or gain weight.

By *asycouple1971Couple
over a year ago

midlands

I dont calorie count.

I am just careful what I eat and drink.

If I eat more then I work harder in the gym the next time.

Cut out alcohol.

over a year ago

As others have said, it’s really useful to do to learn how many calories are in the foods you eat.

I know roughly by looking at the foods I eat, but it’s also about getting those calories in healthily

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"For me it was key to actually losing weight. After a while you don’t even need to count them because you work out what your body needs. I lost 8 stone a year ago and I’ve maintained it since without the need to watch everything that I eat "
You are right there, it us the key and well done for the weight loss too

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"Calorie counting is a good way to start but understanding macros is much more important.

I can lose weight without counting any calories just by increasing protein and limiting certain foods. If I started counting macros I could probably be in the best shape of my life but I prefer to enjoy myself and not obsess over food."

Yes. I have never counted macros, all I do is counting calories. I just make sure that each meal have protein in it, like 2800 to maingain and 2500 calories to get shredded plus to add to the deficit, 500 calories from the cardio

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I’ve recently been diagnosed with diabetes so am trying to be low carb, high protein whilst not eating too many calories. It’s definitely interesting……

J x

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I think it depends on the person. For some people it's great, for others it can become a dangerous obsession.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"Calorie counting is the key if you are seriously looking to lose weight. You’ve got to know what you are putting in your body. What your bmr / tdee is in order for you to work out how many calories you need to lose or gain weight."
You are right there, it is the key too

over a year ago

I have an eating disorder and as such calorie counting would be bad for me (and through experience, it definitely is lol) so I don’t CC, but I’ve had friends who’ve calorie counted and it’s been wonderful for them and really helped them.

There’s no issue with calorie counting, I think it just becomes an issue when you push it onto someone else, in my opinion. When someone’s eating something high in calories and you say like ‘oh but that’s so high in calories.’ That person probably doesn’t want to hear it lol. Maybe that’s my Ed speaking.

Calorie counting helps a lot of morbidly obese people as it helps them to make better choices

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

I have pretty much no idea about calorific values.

I know chocolate is high in calories but then I'm guessing most people would be aware of that.

I have never calorie counted a meal or grocery shopping.

over a year ago

CICO is a really poor way to measure. For one, the calorific value printed on food packaging/published can be 30% out or even more. Second, absorption of calories depends on a number of factors, for example how much fibre is in the food, also the length of your long intestine can determine to a degree how many calories are extracted from a food.

What is probably true is that diet alone and exercise alone will not usually result in long term weight loss for a number of reasons.

Part of the key is controlling insulin levels in the body. It's a very complicated subject and can't be boiled down to the first law of thermodynamics.

C.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Llanelli

It's not something I'll ever do, if I want to eat something I'll just eat it

over a year ago

Too many things to do in life have never counted calories and never will. Don’t think I’m doing too bad at 57 still exercise at least five days a week and can manage 100 press ups without too much trouble

By *hoirCouple
over a year ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

It's a false science in a way as calories aren't created equally. It's more about the quality of the calorie.

C

By *rettyflamingoCouple
over a year ago

Where the flamboyance of flamingos live

"Calorie counting on it's own is at best informative and at worst obsessive, time wasting , boring .....

No point in knowing you need 2000 cals per day and eating it all in chocolate and jam toast. "

Very true I’m reading a book by Dr Megan Rossi , eat more , live well were she explains the nutritional value of the calories in certain foods and that calorie counting is not always the best way to eating a healthy diet x

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I think it’s very individual, if you have poor awareness of food and little self control it can be good to learn about it.

Personally I don’t track calories or training at all anymore. I try to eat what my body needs and limit portion sizes , I train primarily for enjoyment but I know if I want to reach my absolute maximum potential it’s not enough

Post new Message to Thread