FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Ebay Payment Protection for car - Safe (?)

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hi Folks,

We're thinking of buying a car through Ebay via PayPal. The guy who owns it is away on business and we've 'spoken' via email. We've done the checks etc on the car and it's a legit vehicle, not stolen, nothing outstanding on it etc. As the guy's working abroad he's proposing that he contacts Ebay, Ebay then contact us with an invoice, we pay for it via PayPal, the car gets delivered (somehow!) to us and then due to Ebay's Payment Protection we've three days to decided if we fully want he car or not and when we pay for it.

Has anyone else bought a car through PayPal, Ebay and had it delivered and is it 'safe'?

Cheers Folks

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

have you spoken to the guy on the phone or just by email?

over a year ago

Dont buy car off there without seeing it testing it etc trust me been there and can lead to serious accident

over a year ago

As with anything on t'internet, don't trust anyone esp when buying a car, go to see it, test drive it, get a feel for it, if you like it, do the deal and drive away happy. Ebay won't invoice you, the seller has to do that through ebay, ebay won't deliver the car, the seller has to (which is rare) and finally the PayPal/Ebay seller guarantee isn't worth the screen its displayed on as ultimatley they are merely the conduit and have little control over the transaction. By the time they out a con artist, they are long gone.

Remember 'caveat emptor' only buy it if you see it in the flesh.

By *arry_UkMan
over a year ago

birmingham

Sounds a bit dodgy to me, go and see the car first. The being abroad bit don't sit comfortably with me.

over a year ago

Sounds fine as long as you can afford to lose any money you pay out if it goes wrong.

It can and does go wrong even with paypal.

All disputes that occur are given in favour of the seller..........

over a year ago

Once upon a time my husband and I went to buy a car advertised in a magazine for this sort of thing.

All seemed okay till he couldn't 'find' the log-book but would post it on to us.

We walked.

Found out later it was his ex wife who owned the car but he still had a key for it and was trying to sell it while she wasn't at home.

Be careful be very very careful.

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

If he's saying he'll deliver it then you have three days to pay for it then happy days.

Anything that involves you parting with money before getting the car is suspect.

over a year ago

Many thanks folks. Info very much appreciated

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

would want an independant engineers report on it..

and an HPI check..

and a test drive..

not saying this is but some scams are very elaborate indeed..

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

Nephew lost a tidy sum of money through an ebay car.

over a year ago

i have purchased two motorbikes from ebay in the past and both have been good.

latest one needed a bit of work to the fairing and tank but i knew this and was happy.

both people i have bought motorbikes from have been older (50's 60s) so generally not been messed about.

By *obsrocketMan
over a year ago

Loughborough

Use the standard car buying rule if you cant see the car at the owners address walk away. I would never buy a car unseen and without checking the documentation first. If this seller is for real then why put your car on ebay when you are "out of the country" just sounds dodgy to me.

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

"would want an independant engineers report on it..

and an HPI check..

and a test drive..

not saying this is but some scams are very elaborate indeed.."

It's a bit late for the engineers report or test drive if it has already been bought.

over a year ago

eBay hold funds for any purchase over a certain amount and won't release payment until you've left positive feedback

By *xodussxMan
over a year ago

sheffield

419 it is called...simple

I don't see why you so want that car.

over a year ago

"eBay hold funds for any purchase over a certain amount and won't release payment until you've left positive feedback "

Bought two cars off eBay one for 2400 the other 3800 no problems my pal moved abroad couldn't get his car sold before he went first car I bought got from an address not listed in log book from a girl who was sellers friend took a copy of her Id and a copy if guys insurance phoned police as was really wary cash payment but no problems

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

"eBay hold funds for any purchase over a certain amount and won't release payment until you've left positive feedback "

Er, no they don't. They do have an approved escrow service though. Details are under 'Accepted ways to pay' on the eBay site. I wouldn't trust any links that come by email though.

By *ot - CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

As other people say, see the car first and check documentation at the owners address and make sure the address on the V5 matches the address you are at.

over a year ago

Many thanks folks. I sent emails to the guy to ask to view it this weekend...strangely (!) not a response and he pulled the advert..! I still have the ad thjough and printed it off. Did the HPI checks etc and car not stolen, no previous damage, etc (Ref: iCarCheck.net) - However, unless I get a view this weekend, it's not happening. MANY thanks folks - VERY much appreciated

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"would want an independant engineers report on it..

and an HPI check..

and a test drive..

not saying this is but some scams are very elaborate indeed..

It's a bit late for the engineers report or test drive if it has already been bought."

agreed, but the OP did'nt say that they had done so..yet

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

Sorry I just read that back and it didn't read like I meant. What I was trying to say is that those checks need doing, along with any viewing, before you bid or click the buy it now.

over a year ago

hello I generally deal with things like this on a Daly basis, generally I would never buy a car over the internet without seeing it, however you can get good deals, your protection through Paypal is for 45 days but generally will be hard to claim if there is something wrong with the car after u have used it, however if your Paypal account is linked to your credit cars you will be protected under the visa and mastercard regulations, (id always advise to do this) then if you purchase the car and find it to have faults after a day or two after buying it if a garage can confirm they were there prior to you purchasing the car you should be able to claim, you won't be covered under the section 75 of the consumer credit act however, plus your consumer rights are in place but can get messy, all in all yea I would see it first but you can't always tell if there are issues with it by a viewing, they may occur a few days or Weeks later but then that can happen to anything ... Hope I helped if not I've just waffled ha ha xx

over a year ago

Be careful with this one.. it doesn't ring right. I've never heard of eBay doing the invoicing part. And they say they will deliver it before you gave to pay. What happens if you choice you don't want it.. they going to arrange collection for it? Or will they pressure you more into taking it.

Unless this is your dream car. I would give it a miss.

Post new Message to Thread