Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Amp amp amp

Jump to newest

By *ean counter OP   Man
over a year ago

Kettering

WTF is amp? I see it on loads of profiles but not a clue what it means??

Is it something that the software is interpreting incorrectly?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"WTF is amp? I see it on loads of profiles but not a clue what it means??

Is it something that the software is interpreting incorrectly?"

There are certain places that you are not allowed to use the "&" symbol, it gets replaced by "amp" which is the HTML code for the symbol.

Cal

By *ean counter OP   Man
over a year ago

Kettering

Ah right! Why the heck can't you use the & symbol??

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Ah right! Why the heck can't you use the & symbol?? "

Some websites aren’t written to code / decode it in the appropriate places. Allll refers back in the lists of time to when the internet was young….

If you don’t need to know, I wouldn’t bother, unless you’re incurable geeky.

By *ean counter OP   Man
over a year ago

Kettering

"Ah right! Why the heck can't you use the & symbol??

Some websites aren’t written to code / decode it in the appropriate places. Allll refers back in the lists of time to when the internet was young….

If you don’t need to know, I wouldn’t bother, unless you’re incurable geeky."

Definitely not geeky ! I thought it was some form of kinky sex that I was missing out on !!

over a year ago

Definitely not geeky ! I thought it was some form of kinky sex that I was missing out on !! "

Sadly not. Nothing exciting like that at all!

By *ean counter OP   Man
over a year ago

Kettering

Definitely not geeky ! I thought it was some form of kinky sex that I was missing out on !!

Sadly not. Nothing exciting like that at all!"

Bugger !

By *uzie69xTV/TS
over a year ago

Maidstone

Bugger ! "

Speaking of being an incurable geek...

... did you know you should only use the ampersand (&) when it is an identity in itself...

So Marks & Spencer is a company name but when you refer to the founders Mr Marks and Mr Spencer, you should use "and".

A lot of my colleagues in Barking & Dagenham Council didn't know that...

over a year ago

Bugger !

Speaking of being an incurable geek...

... did you know you should only use the ampersand (&) when it is an identity in itself...

So Marks & Spencer is a company name but when you refer to the founders Mr Marks and Mr Spencer, you should use "and".

A lot of my colleagues in Barking & Dagenham Council didn't know that..."

Nor me. And you’ve saved me a ball ache with some coding later too. This morning’s kick-off meeting starts, “Did you know…” Thank you!

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"Ah right! Why the heck can't you use the & symbol?? "

HTML, the language used to write web pages, uses the ampersand to encode characters. This means that you can use ampersands to hack poorly written systems. To counter this, lots of forum software just translates each ampersand to 'amp'.

"... did you know you should only use the ampersand (&) when it is an identity in itself..."

That's a made-up linguistic rule. The ampersand is just the letters 'e' and 't' squished together ('et' being Latin for 'and'). It was invented to speed up writing and printing by having a single character to replace 2.

The only reason to use it today is if you think it looks stylish.

By *ean counter OP   Man
over a year ago

Kettering

HTML, the language used to write web pages, uses the ampersand to encode characters. This means that you can use ampersands to hack poorly written systems. To counter this, lots of forum software just translates each ampersand to 'amp'.

That's a made-up linguistic rule. The ampersand is just the letters 'e' and 't' squished together ('et' being Latin for 'and'). It was invented to speed up writing and printing by having a single character to replace 2.

The only reason to use it today is if you think it looks stylish."

Bloody hell !! Who knew that three letters could be so deep !

By *ighty_tightyMan
over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

If you see it on here it probably means they've cut and paste the text from elsewhere rather than typed it that way. They've then not bothered to proof read it either

By *uzie69xTV/TS
over a year ago

Maidstone

"That's a made-up linguistic rule. The ampersand is just the letters 'e' and 't' squished together ('et' being Latin for 'and'). It was invented to speed up writing and printing by having a single character to replace 2.

Haha yeah, well aren't all linguistic rules made up? And ignored by most except grammar police like me!

I do love it tho...

Don't mix up fashionista D&G Dolce & Gabbana with council Dumfries & Galloway...!

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"That's a made-up linguistic rule. The ampersand is just the letters 'e' and 't' squished together ('et' being Latin for 'and'). It was invented to speed up writing and printing by having a single character to replace 2.

"Haha yeah, well aren't all linguistic rules made up? And ignored by most except grammar police like me!!"

Well, that's true, most rules are made up at some point. But some rules serve a purpose in assisting comprehension. Others (like the split infinitive rule) are just there for fashion. Your ampersand rule is of the latter type.

By *uzie69xTV/TS
over a year ago

Maidstone

" Well, that's true, most rules are made up at some point. But some rules serve a purpose in assisting comprehension. Others (like the split infinitive rule) are just there for fashion. Your ampersand rule is of the latter type."

As a self confessed fashionista I take that as an ultimate compliment kind sir....

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

It’s escaped out.

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

Fender or Marshall amp

By *alandNitaCouple