Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Summat for nowt????

Jump to newest

By *londeCaz OP   Woman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

Just had a young man knock on the door with the offer of free loft insulation and a free combi-boiler!!!! I've signed up for the loft insulation (getting it done on 4th December) and apparently I'll get a phone call in January regarding a new boiler - I was suspicious cos usually any of these type of offers are dependant on being on some sort of benefits or tax credits, but he said if I own the house (tick), haven't got loft insulation (tick) and my boiler's more than 6 years old (tick) I'm eligible...The paperwork he left me is from his firm Eco Residential in Brum and the contractors doing the loft insulation are Carillion (or something similar)

Anyone else had anything like this? I've tried to think of a catch but I haven't given any financial details so there's no way they can get any money off me, and a few of my neighbours have signed up for it as well

And before anyone says anything, I let him leave safely and in one piece

I'll resurrect the thread in January if and when I get a brand spanking new boiler

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

All fuel companies have to do X amount towards energy efficiency and if not they can loose 10% of turnover. Its literately cheaper to put in free insulation to hit quotas than to pay fines.

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

York council is asking people to sign up for free loft insulation so I think its some Government thingy going on at the mo.

over a year ago

The loft and cavity wall insulation gubbins is usually free as it's subsidised by govt, not sure about the boilers you usually have to pay something towards them.

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

Free Insulation for loft and wall has been around a few years now. Not come across boiler though. I would definitely check on the small print of that

By *ogistical NightmaresCouple
over a year ago

Manchester Area

Free cavity wall insulation has been available for years, usuallly done in the north by a company called Mark (no its not a dog with a hair lip) and usually loft insulation is thrown in if you havent got it.

Not sure about the free boiler, although at one time there was a scrappage scheme to get rid of the old knackered? boilers, as previously mentioned read the small print.

Carillion are an established construction group, one of the big 5 who usually get involved in the building of schools, hospitals and social housing

over a year ago

Caz - check after they've gone that there's not a hidden camera peeking through your bedroom ceiling!!

over a year ago

"Free cavity wall insulation has been available for years, usuallly done in the north by a company called Mark (no its not a dog with a hair lip) and usually loft insulation is thrown in if you havent got it.

Not sure about the free boiler, although at one time there was a scrappage scheme to get rid of the old knackered? boilers, as previously mentioned read the small print.

Carillion are an established construction group, one of the big 5 who usually get involved in the building of schools, hospitals and social housing"

Scrappage scheme for old knackered boilers?

Might have to try and find out where that guy that shacked up with my ex mrs lives and let him know!!!

By *londeCaz OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cheers folk, watch this space to see if I do get a new boiler (will prob have to install it meself if I do)

Actually, don't watch this space all the time, by all means get on with your lives and I'll let you know if the new boiler happens - I know some on here take everything so literally

By *londeCaz OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Caz - check after they've gone that there's not a hidden camera peeking through your bedroom ceiling!! "

They'd have had to have taken Taz's cameras out Obi

over a year ago

Given the county you live in, I'm impressed that they are able to insulate a cave!

By *londeCaz OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Given the county you live in, I'm impressed that they are able to insulate a cave!

"

Cheeky mare, I'm quite affluent I'll have you know, I live in a hovel

over a year ago

We got cavity wall insulation for nothing . Same thing , bloke came to the door

over a year ago

Yup - Ive just sorted mine out with British Gas - totally FoC Loft Insulation.

Apparently they have to have done a certain about of homes or they will face heavy fines from the Government (or so I was told) so they dropped the means testing aspect of it and its basically open to anyone and everyone.

The criteria t I believe you need to meet is to have less that 40mm of loft insulation currently in the property. In the case of Cavity walls, if it hasn't been done you can also get that for free (if you have cavity walls that it!)

over a year ago

Forgot to add - offer runs out at the end of December with British Gas

over a year ago

For anyone thinking of the free loft insulation.. certain websites will give you cash if you sign up for it.. as much as £50..

Post new Message to Thread