Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Groping

Jump to newest

By *iew OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

a celebrity has been arrested following allegations from 2 women that he groped them...

now the scenes from the 60's, 70's, 80's 90's of large crowds thrusting themselves forward to grasp a celebrity/celebrities

is it balanced ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

No, it isn't.

If people choose a celebrity lifestyle, for the fame and fortune, then they make a clear decision to accept it and all that goes with it.

A woman being groped against her will is a very different thing!

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

I think it's getting out of hand now. It's just hype and people sniffing around looking for money.

I'm pretty sure in the 60's and 70's if you didn't grope people it was breaking the law not the other way round.

By *iew OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"No, it isn't.

If people choose a celebrity lifestyle, for the fame and fortune, then they make a clear decision to accept it and all that goes with it.

"

if it was a female celebrity and men groped and because she is a news presenter, that's ok

over a year ago

Sexual Assault is sexual assault whether it be a groupie being groped by a celebrity or a woman walking down the street.

Think about it in the same way in a club, if I'm walking in bra and a thong is it acceptable for a man to grope me? No. Is it acceptable for a celebrity to grope a teenage fan who has pictures of him on her wall? No.

Neither situation was asked for therefore its sexual assault.

over a year ago

"

if it was a female celebrity and men groped and because she is a news presenter, that's ok"

Well, that's a separate issue from the one raised by the OP - but please do expand on your line of thought -

By *iew OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"Sexual Assault is sexual assault whether it be a groupie being groped by a celebrity or a woman walking down the street.

Think about it in the same way in a club, if I'm walking in bra and a thong is it acceptable for a man to grope me? No. Is it acceptable for a celebrity to grope a teenage fan who has pictures of him on her wall? No.

Neither situation was asked for therefore its sexual assault."

I get that, honest I do... but is it ok to grope the celebrity without asking

over a year ago

"a celebrity has been arrested following allegations from 2 women that he groped them...

now the scenes from the 60's, 70's, 80's 90's of large crowds thrusting themselves forward to grasp a celebrity/celebrities

is it balanced ?"

Thats a very interesting point....

It kinda does raise a question that in the heat of the moment , what is acceptable and what is not?

By *iew OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"

if it was a female celebrity and men groped and because she is a news presenter, that's ok

Well, that's a separate issue from the one raised by the OP - but please do expand on your line of thought -

"

maybe my badly worded OP, is it ok to grasp at celebrities male and female

akin to the beatles, elvis and the hysteria, if females rushed at 'one direction' today, would they grope them and be help responsible. grabbing their crutch, feeling their bum, now unlikely a boy band is going to complain in and in does go down to the person who is groped and the invasion on them

By *iew OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

and it does*

over a year ago

"Sexual Assault is sexual assault whether it be a groupie being groped by a celebrity or a woman walking down the street.

I get that, honest I do... but is it ok to grope the celebrity without asking"

In my eyes no I really don't think it is. I think if you ask the celebrity for a picture and they put their arm around you then reciprocating is acceptable, but I would never grab a celebrity; however we cannot expect people to act in the same manner as we do.

By *iew OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I get that, honest I do... but is it ok to grope the celebrity without asking

In my eyes no I really don't think it is. I think if you ask the celebrity for a picture and they put their arm around you then reciprocating is acceptable, but I would never grab a celebrity; however we cannot expect people to act in the same manner as we do. "

over a year ago

In the 60's and 70's large crowds of screaming teenage fans were the norm, as was 'ripping apart' their chosen idol's clothes as a souvenir.

This was actively encouraged and was often stage managed by group's managers and publicists.

However the actors/singers had to be cleaner than clean, some even had to hide the fact they were married.

Therefore in those heady days it was seen as acceptable and expected for the idols of the era to be mauled by teenage fans but they had to not reciprocate but act as squeaky clean role models.

By *iew OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"In the 60's and 70's large crowds of screaming teenage fans were the norm, as was 'ripping apart' their chosen idol's clothes as a souvenir.

This was actively encouraged and was often stage managed by group's managers and publicists.

However the actors/singers had to be cleaner than clean, some even had to hide the fact they were married.

Therefore in those heady days it was seen as acceptable and expected for the idols of the era to be mauled by teenage fans but they had to not reciprocate but act as squeaky clean role models.

"

cheers and my point exactly... is it balanced

ta

over a year ago

"I think it's getting out of hand now. It's just hype and people sniffing around looking for money.

I'm pretty sure in the 60's and 70's if you didn't grope people it was breaking the law not the other way round."

I totally agree. Society was very very different then and I think it's pointless in some instances to place the morals of today on a time 40odd years ago and castigate people for their actions when they were accepted then.

By *iew OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"I think it's getting out of hand now. It's just hype and people sniffing around looking for money.

I'm pretty sure in the 60's and 70's if you didn't grope people it was breaking the law not the other way round.

I totally agree. Society was very very different then and I think it's pointless in some instances to place the morals of today on a time 40odd years ago and castigate people for their actions when they were accepted then."

thanks x

over a year ago

Not balanced, fans could touch and pull at the celebs, they sneaked into hotel rooms and backstage rest areas, it was the celebs and their management's responsibility to oust the invading fans and not take advantage of the situation. They were to be observed as the ones with the moral compass more so than their teenage fans.

over a year ago

My fear is that there were some young people who were actually sexually abused.

There is a growing risk that they will be buried and lost in the hundreds of people who got touched in a crowd and now think they may get compensation for it.

By *iew OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"My fear is that there were some young people who were actually sexually abused.

There is a growing risk that they will be buried and lost in the hundreds of people who got touched in a crowd and now think they may get compensation for it.

"

I so totally agree.

over a year ago

"My fear is that there were some young people who were actually sexually abused.

"

Genuinely abused just really want their voice to be heard, not asking how much they will get in compensation.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

As I said in one of the previous threads on the subject....My husband worked for a well known music publication back in the day, and there were literally dozens of young girls (of all ages) throwing themselves at pop and rock stars during and after just about every concert or TV studio recording.

I now suspect that SOME of the women now lodging complaints against the same artists and DJ's made themselves more than available at the time.....but now they smell banknotes.

For me it's a proof issue, or have the powers that be got the BBC and other bodies so worried that payments will be made to claimants without too much trouble?

By *iew OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"As I said in one of the previous threads on the subject....My husband worked for a well known music publication back in the day, and there were literally dozens of young girls (of all ages) throwing themselves at pop and rock stars during and after just about every concert or TV studio recording.

I now suspect that SOME of the women now lodging complaints against the same artists and DJ's made themselves more than available at the time.....but now they smell banknotes.

For me it's a proof issue, or have the powers that be got the BBC and other bodies so worried that payments will be made to claimants without too much trouble?"

thanks

over a year ago

"a celebrity has been arrested following allegations from 2 women that he groped them...

is it balanced ?"

It all depends on intent, interpretation and how the authorities bend to media pressure. Those that do wrong should be brought to task but there is a fine line between fooling about and abuse.

By *iew OP   Man
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"

It all depends on intent, interpretation and how the authorities bend to media pressure. Those that do wrong should be brought to task but there is a fine line between fooling about and abuse. "

thanks

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

I fear groping is one of those things that has only moved away from being the norm and acceptable ... for one gender.

There is still a widespread attitude that men shut either be grateful or shut the fuck up and not be such a wimp.

The worst ever unwanted groping I have ever witnessed has been d*unk women pawing at men in swinging clubs.

over a year ago

"No, it isn't.

if it was a female celebrity and men groped and because she is a news presenter, that's ok"

depends what you mean by grope

if your famous and and screaming fans are grabbing at you to get your attention thats something that happens, if its someone grabbing your tits thats different, famous or not noone has the right to grab certain areas

i suppose we could say noone has the right to grab you full stop but at the end of the day it comes with fame

Post new Message to Thread