Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Have you ever gone to Wimbledon?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I know there'll be jokey replies, but who's been to see the tournament in person? + how was the experience?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'm too common for Wimbledon.

By *ustdaveHantsMan
over a year ago

chippenham

Centre Court in number 2s about 30 degrees not a good experience if I'm honest lol

By *aysOfOurLivesCouple
over a year ago

Chigwell

"I'm too common for Wimbledon."

you womble!

over a year ago

"I'm too common for Wimbledon.

you womble!"

I wondered who was gonna mention wombles 1st.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Yeah I went many moons ago. It was OK. If somebody gave me tickets again I'd go but wouldn't pay.

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Wimbledon is just a racket..

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

My dad grew up in Wimbledon and said when he was a kid him and his friends would wait around outside and people would give them their day tickets as they were leaving so they could go in. They didn't get them into centre court but it still sounds like a fun day out for them . I bet you can't do that anymore .

over a year ago

"Yeah I went many moons ago. It was OK. If somebody gave me tickets again I'd go but wouldn't pay. "

You seem meh on the idea. Was it a substandard experience? Or just too expensive?

By *lofeldMan
over a year ago

Redhill

Have been a couple of times, both times in great weather, loved it though dont look at your bank balance after if you are the nervous type and enjoy a drink.

And I must say, the percentage of attractive looking people wandering around is high.

over a year ago

"I'm too common for Wimbledon.

you womble!"

over a year ago

"Have been a couple of times, both times in great weather, loved it though dont look at your bank balance after if you are the nervous type and enjoy a drink.

And I must say, the percentage of attractive looking people wandering around is high. "

How did you even get tickets? I got the impression they were near impossible to get.

over a year ago

Men’s final - last year. Excellent day out

By *lofeldMan
over a year ago

Redhill

"Have been a couple of times, both times in great weather, loved it though dont look at your bank balance after if you are the nervous type and enjoy a drink.

And I must say, the percentage of attractive looking people wandering around is high.

How did you even get tickets? I got the impression they were near impossible to get."

I had a mate who was a member of one of the local clubs and got them through him. The other option you have is to start queuing from silly o'clock and try and get them on the door.

A guy I used to work with's daughter was one of the ball girls a few years back. I'm not sure what that has to do with the price of fish, but it just sort of came out...

over a year ago

"Men’s final - last year. Excellent day out "

did you get lucky after applying via that lottery system? Or did you queue for ages?

over a year ago

How did you even get tickets? I got the impression they were near impossible to get.

I had a mate who was a member of one of the local clubs and got them through him. The other option you have is to start queuing from silly o'clock and try and get them on the door.

A guy I used to work with's daughter was one of the ball girls a few years back. I'm not sure what that has to do with the price of fish, but it just sort of came out... "

Yeah, that's what I suspected. I got the impression you need some sort of contact to get in. Otherwise you'd have to be pretty damn lucky via the lottery system or the endless queue.

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

My naive youthful ambition was to be a ballboy on Centre Court for at least one of the women's games; until I discovered that I didn't have the right plummy accent, nor did I attend the right Public School, such as Eton, Harrow or Winchester, nor did I belong to the right tennis club!

Wimbledon is similar to Ascot, the Henley regatta, etc., in that these elitist events are mainly populated by the upper crust of English society, and a cohort of wannabes.

My Irish accent would not fit in as a ballboy, and as a spectator I could not afford the cost of a ticket.

By *lofeldMan
over a year ago

Redhill

"My naive youthful ambition was to be a ballboy on Centre Court for at least one of the women's games; until I discovered that I didn't have the right plummy accent, nor did I attend the right Public School, such as Eton, Harrow or Winchester, nor did I belong to the right tennis club!

Wimbledon is similar to Ascot, the Henley regatta, etc., in that these elitist events are mainly populated by the upper crust of English society, and a cohort of wannabes.

My Irish accent would not fit in as a ballboy, and as a spectator I could not afford the cost of a ticket."

I agree with your general point about tennis being snobby, it is. But they take kids from local schools, not Eton.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Yeah I went many moons ago. It was OK. If somebody gave me tickets again I'd go but wouldn't pay.

You seem meh on the idea. Was it a substandard experience? Or just too expensive?"

Very expensive, lots of folks there for the experience and to be seen... Which is fine. Just not something that excites me.

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

I’ve a couple of Fab friends that’s been on Centre Court today.

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

They are big tennis fans and play most days.

over a year ago

"I’ve a couple of Fab friends that’s been on Centre Court today. "

The riskiest dogging experience ever?

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

Nope. All sports bore me. But glad others enjoy it. Just not my cup of Absinthe.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

No.

over a year ago

"No."

Concise.

over a year ago

Yes I went on Wednesday, which was my 5th time

over a year ago

"Yes I went on Wednesday, which was my 5th time "

I'm guessing you like it then haha.

How'd you get tickets so often? Was it via friends or a tennis club? Or did you get really lucky with the lottery system or queuing?

over a year ago

"Yes I went on Wednesday, which was my 5th time

How'd you get tickets so often? Was it via friends or a tennis club? Or did you get really lucky with the lottery system or queuing?"

All through the ballot. Myself and a couple of family members enter it every year and at least one of us is usually lucky enough to get tickets. This year was my first year on centre court.

Yes I do love it. I live fairly close to it too so it's not a bad journey in.

M

over a year ago

How'd you get tickets so often? Was it via friends or a tennis club? Or did you get really lucky with the lottery system or queuing?

All through the ballot. Myself and a couple of family members enter it every year and at least one of us is usually lucky enough to get tickets. This year was my first year on centre court.

M "

I'm amazed. I thought the ballot would be a real longshot.

over a year ago

M

I'm amazed. I thought the ballot would be a real longshot."

We've always been pretty lucky with it

over a year ago

M

I'm amazed. I thought the ballot would be a real longshot.

We've always been pretty lucky with it"

Certainly seems like it

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

They used to sell debentures which entitled you to a ticket, many moons ago though

over a year ago

"They used to sell debentures which entitled you to a ticket, many moons ago though "

God knows how much that must cost.

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

"They used to sell debentures which entitled you to a ticket, many moons ago though

God knows how much that must cost."

About £2000 in the 80's I think

over a year ago

"They used to sell debentures which entitled you to a ticket, many moons ago though

About £2000 in the 80's I think "

Ouch. If they still exist, the prices now will be stratoshperic.

over a year ago

Ouch. If they still exist, the prices now will be stratoshperic."

Between 80k and 120k now for centre court

over a year ago

Ouch. If they still exist, the prices now will be stratoshperic.

Between 80k and 120k now for centre court "

By *B69Woman
over a year ago

Wiltshire

I’ve been a few times, love it,

They have a system that when you leave you can hand in your tickets and they resell them on the day for about £20, I always give mine in and hope someone else gets to enjoy it.

By *moking GunCouple
over a year ago

East Anglia

Haven't got the balls...

over a year ago

I did security on Centre Court for the 2014 tournament, fantastic 2 week job that was.

Managed to wangle a couple of front row seats for a couple I knew who had come up for the final that year too

over a year ago

I’ve been a couple times and it’s always great. If you have day tickets I’d say go in week one, more to see! Also the hill is very uncomfortable x

over a year ago

Hell yeah, I did two weeks stewarding on center court in 2009 the year Jacco died and the first year of the roof

over a year ago

Yes I have x was great

over a year ago

I've been once,not for me.

Too long and very expensive.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I’ve got tickets to the woman’s finals. Great seats right up front too

over a year ago

"I’ve got tickets to the woman’s finals. Great seats right up front too "

Nice

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

I used to sell hospitality debenture tickets. I still know a few people in the industry and can get (almost) any match ticket - for the right price obvs.

I'm usually at Henley myself, although I haven't been since the pandemic.

C

over a year ago

"Men’s final - last year. Excellent day out

did you get lucky after applying via that lottery system? Or did you queue for ages?"

They were all sold online last year.. had about 20 browsers open - just got lucky

over a year ago

Been a few times, turned down Women’s Final tickets a few years back as had another event to go to, that was a bit of a pain tbf but done Centre Court a few times including Mens Semi Finals but never made a Finals day sadly ..

It’s a good day out, particularly in week one when everywhere is really busy whereas the deeper in week 2 you go the less there is other than on the show courts.

By *irtydevil666Man
over a year ago

bristol

Only to the common to look for wombles...

By *evin90Man
over a year ago

London

Drove pass today, does that count.

By *osey WalesMan
over a year ago

Surrey

I was born in south Wimbledon (Nelson Hospital - no longer there, turned to flats) and went to school just down the Ridgeway from Wimbledon Village. So, yes, as a kid i went to wimbledon almost everyday !

Post new Message to Thread