Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What kind of books

Jump to newest

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

do you enjoy? Facts, fiction, science fiction, poetry or a good old naughty tale?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

History, fantasy, sci-fi, travel books, autobiographies, cookbooks, and the odd Jackie Collins bonkbuster.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

I love autobiographies, well some of them. I also really like what is called popular science - and last but not least I like tales, stories, mythology and what psychology does with that.

Oh... and some novels...

And ... Bridget Jones...ooops

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

I love mythology too, and comparative religion if I feel really bored. Just finished Andrew Marrs History of Modern Britain and am now rereading Coleen McCulloughs Masters of Rome series. But my heart belongs to sci-fi/fantasy.

By *reenonionsMan
over a year ago

Nr Exeter

Ones with pictures, prefs pop up pics

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Ones with pictures, prefs pop up pics "
lol.. I used to love teh one (Was it Dorling Kindersley with the pop up castles?)

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I love mythology too, and comparative religion if I feel really bored. Just finished Andrew Marrs History of Modern Britain and am now rereading Coleen McCulloughs Masters of Rome series. But my heart belongs to sci-fi/fantasy."
I really like Andrew Marr, missed him at the Hay Festival this year as we could not get parked would you believe it.. everywhere was so muddy!

As far as comparative religion is concerned, that is another really interesting subject and it also feeds into other disciplines like psychology, philosophy etc.

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I read all sorts. My bookshelves have everything from Ibsen plays, Shakespeare, poetry, and classic novels of all kinds, to Terry Pratchett, non-fiction texts on the Holocaust and serial killers, with a lot of feminist theory thrown in. Bit of a magpie reader really.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

i love stuart mcbride i,m reading one of his at moment called shatter the bones , i also like karen rose so any good thriller is good for me

over a year ago

I love a good sword and sandles book, reading Simon Scarrow at the moment

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I read all sorts. My bookshelves have everything from Ibsen plays, Shakespeare, poetry, and classic novels of all kinds, to Terry Pratchett, non-fiction texts on the Holocaust and serial killers, with a lot of feminist theory thrown in. Bit of a magpie reader really."
Wow Ibsen? I always found him fascinating to read. Do you ever get rid of books ie sell them or do you treat them like something very precious and keep them forever.. (as I do ?

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"As far as comparative religion is concerned, that is another really interesting subject and it also feeds into other disciplines like psychology, philosophy etc. "

I read a lot of psychology (got half a degree in it), which comes in very handy on here.

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

I love a good book,mainly history, but unfortunately recently too many technical books,which bore me to death but i have no choice

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"i love stuart mcbride i,m reading one of his at moment called shatter the bones , i also like karen rose so any good thriller is good for me "

I would need a lot of hot chocolate to calm my nerves after that...

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I love a good sword and sandles book, reading Simon Scarrow at the moment"
Would you recommend it for the faint hearted like me?

over a year ago

It has to be Chris Ryan and Duncan Falconer for me, love action thrillers, guess that's why I write it too

over a year ago

Classic Stephen King (before be became a dramatist and a television movie novelist), classic mid020th Century American (Fear and Loathing, Catch 22, One flew over the cuckoo's nest), classic horror (Richard Matheson, Robert R McCammon, Anne Rice), James Herbert and classical poetry (Dante's Inferno, Beowulf)

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

"I read all sorts. My bookshelves have everything from Ibsen plays, Shakespeare, poetry, and classic novels of all kinds, to Terry Pratchett, non-fiction texts on the Holocaust and serial killers, with a lot of feminist theory thrown in. Bit of a magpie reader really.Wow Ibsen? I always found him fascinating to read. Do you ever get rid of books ie sell them or do you treat them like something very precious and keep them forever.. (as I do ?"

Oh god - getting rid of books is painful and I rarely do it - only when they are really, really past it and beyond saving.

Not read Ibsen in quite a while. Thought Hedda Gabbler was good - but preferred Ghosts. I have Strindbergh too - and various others Shaw, O'Casey, Wycherley, Sheridan. I find Strindbergh to be a total misogynist but love the wit of Shaw better than Wilde.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"It has to be Chris Ryan and Duncan Falconer for me, love action thrillers, guess that's why I write it too "
You write books yourself? What made you go into that? When did you discover that you had a talent for this?

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Classic Stephen King (before be became a dramatist and a television movie novelist), classic mid020th Century American (Fear and Loathing, Catch 22, One flew over the cuckoo's nest), classic horror (Richard Matheson, Robert R McCammon, Anne Rice), James Herbert and classical poetry (Dante's Inferno, Beowulf)"
I am totally with you on classical poetry - when I was at school we had to learn very long poems by heart...and I hated poetry then but now being somewhat older and more mature I love the rhyme and underlying rhythm in some.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I read all sorts. My bookshelves have everything from Ibsen plays, Shakespeare, poetry, and classic novels of all kinds, to Terry Pratchett, non-fiction texts on the Holocaust and serial killers, with a lot of feminist theory thrown in. Bit of a magpie reader really.Wow Ibsen? I always found him fascinating to read. Do you ever get rid of books ie sell them or do you treat them like something very precious and keep them forever.. (as I do ?

Oh god - getting rid of books is painful and I rarely do it - only when they are really, really past it and beyond saving.

Not read Ibsen in quite a while. Thought Hedda Gabbler was good - but preferred Ghosts. I have Strindbergh too - and various others Shaw, O'Casey, Wycherley, Sheridan. I find Strindbergh to be a total misogynist but love the wit of Shaw better than Wilde. "

There was I thinking only I was weird and anal about books... I have kept all of my books including some from my school days. I could never throw a book away.

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"I have kept all of my books including some from my school days. I could never throw a book away. "

I've given books away. Well I have to free up shelves for new ones don't I?

Having said that, my Kindle has been a godsend.

over a year ago

"I love a good sword and sandles book, reading Simon Scarrow at the momentWould you recommend it for the faint hearted like me? "

I like them as they mix historical fact and fiction. Conn Igguldens Emperor books about Ceasar are superb

over a year ago

"Classic Stephen King (before be became a dramatist and a television movie novelist), classic mid020th Century American (Fear and Loathing, Catch 22, One flew over the cuckoo's nest), classic horror (Richard Matheson, Robert R McCammon, Anne Rice), James Herbert and classical poetry (Dante's Inferno, Beowulf)I am totally with you on classical poetry - when I was at school we had to learn very long poems by heart...and I hated poetry then but now being somewhat older and more mature I love the rhyme and underlying rhythm in some. "

when I grew up my mum had a book "A book of a thousand poems", we used to pick out our favourite ones, and still today I can quote some of them - she bought me this book a long long time ago as well as a sort of tradition - and all the kids have a favourite one out of it ............

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

"It has to be Chris Ryan and Duncan Falconer for me, love action thrillers, guess that's why I write it too "

I like Ryans stuff its a good read,and by all accounts he's a top bloke too.

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

I have only one book left from my childhood, sadly. I left home at 18 under a cloud and my father threw all my books away. My mum saved this one - it's Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi - the original story.

Oh, tell a lie - and she saved the set of encyclopaedias we had - I have them on my shelf almost still in mint condition though very very dated - still talk about stuff from the old days of Empire. They got them in the 50s before I was born.

over a year ago

"I am totally with you on classical poetry - when I was at school we had to learn very long poems by heart...and I hated poetry then but now being somewhat older and more mature I love the rhyme and underlying rhythm in some. "

I never had to learn to remember poems but I read Beowulf first in junior school and just forgot the school existed when I was reading it. Just a thing about those old writers having so much more expressive freedom and not trying to mask the truth behind a style of writing. They created it, we try to imitate it. Not my novel anyway... if I even manage to get through it!

over a year ago

"It has to be Chris Ryan and Duncan Falconer for me, love action thrillers, guess that's why I write it too

I like Ryans stuff its a good read,and by all accounts he's a top bloke too."

Apart from that not being his real name its a non de-plume he wrights under so pretty hard to be a top bloke unless you have actual met him.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I have only one book left from my childhood, sadly. I left home at 18 under a cloud and my father threw all my books away. My mum saved this one - it's Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi - the original story.

Oh, tell a lie - and she saved the set of encyclopaedias we had - I have them on my shelf almost still in mint condition though very very dated - still talk about stuff from the old days of Empire. They got them in the 50s before I was born."

I used to (and people will laugh and it will confirm to most that really I am weird....lol) I used to read Encyclopedias as a child. I would look up one word and then get so fascinated by some others.. that I got really engrossed at times. One good thing came out of that... my spelling was quite good and I often knew the meaning of so called difficult words when others did not.

over a year ago

I tend to go through stages in relation to books, history, classics, fantasy, horror, autobiographies etc.

Since my job has become a little more sgtressful I've tended to read the bonkbuster, tales of rags to riches, beautiful women and men! Exquisite locations, fashion and sex. They all follow a similar format but its easy reading and after a hard day I need to escape with something not too taxing on the brain

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

"Classic Stephen King (before be became a dramatist and a television movie novelist), classic mid020th Century American (Fear and Loathing, Catch 22, One flew over the cuckoo's nest), classic horror (Richard Matheson, Robert R McCammon, Anne Rice), James Herbert and classical poetry (Dante's Inferno, Beowulf)"

Have you read Seamus Heaney's interpretation of Beowulf? It's brilliant!

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"Classic Stephen King (before be became a dramatist and a television movie novelist), classic mid020th Century American (Fear and Loathing, Catch 22, One flew over the cuckoo's nest), classic horror (Richard Matheson, Robert R McCammon, Anne Rice), James Herbert and classical poetry (Dante's Inferno, Beowulf)I am totally with you on classical poetry - when I was at school we had to learn very long poems by heart...and I hated poetry then but now being somewhat older and more mature I love the rhyme and underlying rhythm in some. "

I've got Dante's Inferno on my Kindle, keep promising myself to read it, maybe give it a go when I'm in hospital...Pratchett, King, Koontz, Herbert, Graham Masterton, an Aussie writer called Mathew Reilly who writes roller-coaster thrillers about a US Marine called Scarecrow and his team and another series about Jack West Jr saving the world over and over - fabulous stories, Lee Child, Diana Gabaldon, Jean M Auel and countless others...I have 4 overflowing bookcases in my front room plus drawers full of books upstairs - I've never gotten rid of a book unless it's fallen to bits (2 copies of IT and Good Omens have done just that)...oh and still occasionally dip into Enid Blyton (figuratively speaking, anything else would be seriously perverse) to remind me of the first books I read when I was 3 or 4

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I am totally with you on classical poetry - when I was at school we had to learn very long poems by heart...and I hated poetry then but now being somewhat older and more mature I love the rhyme and underlying rhythm in some.

I never had to learn to remember poems but I read Beowulf first in junior school and just forgot the school existed when I was reading it. Just a thing about those old writers having so much more expressive freedom and not trying to mask the truth behind a style of writing. They created it, we try to imitate it. Not my novel anyway... if I even manage to get through it!"

I sometimes thought, when at school that making us learn poems by heart was more to do with enforcing dicsipline rather than having anything to do with literature appreciation. I was at a very old fashioned grammar school and we had to learn Latin for 7 years so we even had to learn Latin poems by heart. Can you imagine that being on the curriculum in today's world? It would be considered cruelty to children

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"I love a good sword and sandles book, reading Simon Scarrow at the momentWould you recommend it for the faint hearted like me?

I like them as they mix historical fact and fiction. Conn Igguldens Emperor books about Ceasar are superb"

You'd like the Masters of Rome series then. Fiction based on fact about the history of the Roman Republic from 110bc to 27bc. Very interesting, lots of sex and murder.

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

"It has to be Chris Ryan and Duncan Falconer for me, love action thrillers, guess that's why I write it too

Apart from that not being his real name its a non de-plume he wrights under so pretty hard to be a top bloke unless you have actual met him. "

oooooo a literary expert as well lmfao ,you missed the words "by all accounts"

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

"I have kept all of my books including some from my school days. I could never throw a book away.

I've given books away. Well I have to free up shelves for new ones don't I?

Having said that, my Kindle has been a godsend."

I just bought more shelves!

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Apart from that not being his real name its a non de-plume he wrights under so pretty hard to be a top bloke unless you have actual met him.

"

Apparently not using your real name when writing means you can't be a top person. That George Eliot, what a bitch!

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

I know this is not on the same level of literature quoted so far but I discovered Meg Barkers "Rewriting the Rules" - it is about relationships and how they are different today from say 100 years ago. Really interesting to read.

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

"

I used to (and people will laugh and it will confirm to most that really I am weird....lol) I used to read Encyclopedias as a child. I would look up one word and then get so fascinated by some others.. that I got really engrossed at times. One good thing came out of that... my spelling was quite good and I often knew the meaning of so called difficult words when others did not. "

'kin 'ell Aphro, reckon we coulda been seperated at birth - I did the same but with the dictionary as well as encyclopedia - would read random pages outta the dictionary and try to use the words when I was speaking (I was a precocious little twit)

Mam tells the story of when I was about 2 or 3 and we'd been to Knowsley Safari Park...one of the neighbours asked me what I'd seen and I said "We saw a rhinoceros" and the neighbour complimented me and mam on how well I could speak for my age...Mam responded "Don't be daft, anyone can say rhineroseros" so they've forever been rhineroseroses to us

over a year ago

"

I think you missed the fact Ryan doesn't exist its a non de-plume(that's a made up name and persona to write under, some women even write under a man's name) So its nothing to do with being a literary expert just facts maybe you can come out with a comment like George Elliot had a big cock by all accounts next.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"

I used to (and people will laugh and it will confirm to most that really I am weird....lol) I used to read Encyclopedias as a child. I would look up one word and then get so fascinated by some others.. that I got really engrossed at times. One good thing came out of that... my spelling was quite good and I often knew the meaning of so called difficult words when others did not.

'kin 'ell Aphro, reckon we coulda been seperated at birth - I did the same but with the dictionary as well as encyclopedia - would read random pages outta the dictionary and try to use the words when I was speaking (I was a precocious little twit)

Mam tells the story of when I was about 2 or 3 and we'd been to Knowsley Safari Park...one of the neighbours asked me what I'd seen and I said "We saw a rhinoceros" and the neighbour complimented me and mam on how well I could speak for my age...Mam responded "Don't be daft, anyone can say rhineroseros" so they've forever been rhineroseroses to us "

Caz, I am proud of the scar and wear it with pride...(the one where we were separated.... and joke aside, it is not actually so weird after all.. it is the inquisitive mind of a child looking up words, a mind that sometimes gets a bit frustrated through formal education at school. Not that I am against schools or formal education, I just sometimes wish it allowed a wider spectrum for children with special gifts at one end of the spectrum and for those who are struggling with academia but are quite bright, at the other end.

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"

Mam tells the story of when I was about 2 or 3 and we'd been to Knowsley Safari Park...one of the neighbours asked me what I'd seen and I said "We saw a rhinoceros" and the neighbour complimented me and mam on how well I could speak for my age...Mam responded "Don't be daft, anyone can say rhineroseros" so they've forever been rhineroseroses to us "

If you like encyclopaedias then you'd probably like Brewers Phrase and Fable. Its a reference book for sayings and things like that. Or the Etymologicon, which is the meanings behind certain words.

over a year ago

Tell you what does my head in, I find a good looking book on the cheap in asda and it turns out to be as cheap on the inside as it said on the outside lol

I had read work by Stephen Jones long ago and liked it so when I found a huge book called Zombie Apocalypse with his name on it, i figured 'Bonus!'

Nope, it was only created by Jones. He got a bunch of amateurs to write different stories to be put together as one big story.

Half of it is written as Twitter text, diary messages and reports. One of the most uninvolving books I've ever followed to the end and I wasn't impressed.

I should have stayed happy with World War Z

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

"

I've met him off here...SAS_Shag_VWE

Well at least that's what he told me his real name was - top bloke too

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

I think you missed the fact Ryan doesn't exist its a non de-plume(that's a made up name and persona to write under, some women even write under a man's name) So its nothing to do with being a literary expert just facts maybe you can come out with a comment like George Elliot had a big cock by all accounts next. "

yeah of course i missed it ,your so right ..

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

Apparently not using your real name when writing means you can't be a top person. That George Eliot, what a bitch!"

Did not realise that "bitch" was another pseudonym

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

I think you missed the fact Ryan doesn't exist its a non de-plume(that's a made up name and persona to write under, some women even write under a man's name) So its nothing to do with being a literary expert just facts maybe you can come out with a comment like George Elliot had a big cock by all accounts next. "

Yes, but someone still wrote his books. and thats who is supposed to be a top bloke.

over a year ago

I have an Encyclopaedia of Famous People lol not what you think, it's full of old kings, legends and saints

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

Apparently not using your real name when writing means you can't be a top person. That George Eliot, what a bitch!"

LMAO

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"

If you like encyclopaedias then you'd probably like Brewers Phrase and Fable. Its a reference book for sayings and things like that. Or the Etymologicon, which is the meanings behind certain words."

OMG that is so cool. I really enjoy looking at words and where they came from, their original roots in other languages etc..

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I have an Encyclopaedia of Famous People lol not what you think, it's full of old kings, legends and saints"
Right down my line then...

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"I have an Encyclopaedia of Famous People lol not what you think, it's full of old kings, legends and saints"

Oooh *makes notes for next Amazon foray*

over a year ago

"I've got Dante's Inferno on my Kindle, keep promising myself to read it, maybe give it a go when I'm in hospital...Pratchett, King, Koontz, Herbert, Graham Masterton, an Aussie writer called Mathew Reilly who writes roller-coaster thrillers about a US Marine called Scarecrow and his team and another series about Jack West Jr saving the world over and over - fabulous stories, Lee Child, Diana Gabaldon, Jean M Auel and countless others...I have 4 overflowing bookcases in my front room plus drawers full of books upstairs - I've never gotten rid of a book unless it's fallen to bits (2 copies of IT and Good Omens have done just that)...oh and still occasionally dip into Enid Blyton (figuratively speaking, anything else would be seriously perverse) to remind me of the first books I read when I was 3 or 4 "

Dante's Inferno is not only surprisingly good and easy to read, it's hard to put down and very valid despite it being very religious and about a monk's interpretation of Hell. It's more a comedy than anything but that's what makes the horror work!

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

"

If you like encyclopaedias then you'd probably like Brewers Phrase and Fable. Its a reference book for sayings and things like that. Or the Etymologicon, which is the meanings behind certain words."

Thanks Wyrd, I'll keep an eye out for those - though I've been trying to stop myself spending so much time reading - wasting valuable shagging time...unless it's a crap shag and I can sneak me Kindle out while he's doing me from behind

over a year ago

"I have an Encyclopaedia of Famous People lol not what you think, it's full of old kings, legends and saintsRight down my line then..."

My mistake, Webster's Dictionary of Famous People

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"

If you like encyclopaedias then you'd probably like Brewers Phrase and Fable. Its a reference book for sayings and things like that. Or the Etymologicon, which is the meanings behind certain words.

Thanks Wyrd, I'll keep an eye out for those - though I've been trying to stop myself spending so much time reading - wasting valuable shagging time...unless it's a crap shag and I can sneak me Kindle out while he's doing me from behind "

Glad you are bringing an element of realism and sex into the thread. I knew I could rely on you!

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"I've got Dante's Inferno on my Kindle, keep promising myself to read it, maybe give it a go when I'm in hospital...Pratchett, King, Koontz, Herbert, Graham Masterton, an Aussie writer called Mathew Reilly who writes roller-coaster thrillers about a US Marine called Scarecrow and his team and another series about Jack West Jr saving the world over and over - fabulous stories, Lee Child, Diana Gabaldon, Jean M Auel and countless others...I have 4 overflowing bookcases in my front room plus drawers full of books upstairs - I've never gotten rid of a book unless it's fallen to bits (2 copies of IT and Good Omens have done just that)...oh and still occasionally dip into Enid Blyton (figuratively speaking, anything else would be seriously perverse) to remind me of the first books I read when I was 3 or 4

Dante's Inferno is not only surprisingly good and easy to read, it's hard to put down and very valid despite it being very religious and about a monk's interpretation of Hell. It's more a comedy than anything but that's what makes the horror work!"

That will be on my Christmas list! Sounds like dark humour and that would appeal

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"

Thanks Wyrd, I'll keep an eye out for those - though I've been trying to stop myself spending so much time reading - wasting valuable shagging time...unless it's a crap shag and I can sneak me Kindle out while he's doing me from behind "

As I travel to all my meets using public transport my kindle comes in very handy, especially if the real book is a 600 page tome. But I find myself actually neglecting fab (I Know *gasp*) when I am engrossed in a really good book.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"

Thanks Wyrd, I'll keep an eye out for those - though I've been trying to stop myself spending so much time reading - wasting valuable shagging time...unless it's a crap shag and I can sneak me Kindle out while he's doing me from behind

As I travel to all my meets using public transport my kindle comes in very handy, especially if the real book is a 600 page tome. But I find myself actually neglecting fab (I Know *gasp*) when I am engrossed in a really good book."

Are you saying you are in danger of getting off at the wrong stop and missing a meet as you were so engrossed? OMG that is hilarious

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Oh, and anyone who likes romance, history AND fantasy I recommend Gargoyle. It takes time to start but once it does, oh man!

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

"

Glad you are bringing an element of realism and sex into the thread. I knew I could rely on you! "

But of course...oh I've also been reading A Brief History of Time for the last 15 years (approx.) I'm up to page 8 already

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"

As I travel to all my meets using public transport my kindle comes in very handy, especially if the real book is a 600 page tome. But I find myself actually neglecting fab (I Know *gasp*) when I am engrossed in a really good book.Are you saying you are in danger of getting off at the wrong stop and missing a meet as you were so engrossed? OMG that is hilarious "

I've come close. But when I am waiting in a pub sometimes the book is more attractive than the meet, if you know what I mean.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"

Glad you are bringing an element of realism and sex into the thread. I knew I could rely on you!

But of course...oh I've also been reading A Brief History of Time for the last 15 years (approx.) I'm up to page 8 already "

Shags must have been good then...;-)

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Oh and Bill Bryson's books have me in utter hysterics

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"

As I travel to all my meets using public transport my kindle comes in very handy, especially if the real book is a 600 page tome. But I find myself actually neglecting fab (I Know *gasp*) when I am engrossed in a really good book.Are you saying you are in danger of getting off at the wrong stop and missing a meet as you were so engrossed? OMG that is hilarious

I've come close. But when I am waiting in a pub sometimes the book is more attractive than the meet, if you know what I mean. "

I really so would not know

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

"

As I travel to all my meets using public transport my kindle comes in very handy, especially if the real book is a 600 page tome. But I find myself actually neglecting fab (I Know *gasp*) when I am engrossed in a really good book."

I actually envy you being able to get completely engrossed like that in a book.I am so easily distracted when reading,i pick it up ,put it down ,pick it up again.Very few books have gripped me so that i cant put them down,the last one was Fly for your life -The life of Robert Stanford Tuck.

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"Oh and Bill Bryson's books have me in utter hysterics"

he's good. I need to catch up on him as I think i am about 3 books behind. His 'At home' is very good.

over a year ago

"i love stuart mcbride i,m reading one of his at moment called shatter the bones , i also like karen rose so any good thriller is good for me

I would need a lot of hot chocolate to calm my nerves after that..."

would you like some mini marshmallows in it lol

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

Really enjoyed the contributions and I have made note of a few as definite "want to reads" in the near future, over xmas when there is a bit of time. Thank you everybody - am off to my bed with my book and leaving you all with the night owls

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

"Oh and Bill Bryson's books have me in utter hysterics"

My Fave comedy has to be The Throwback by Tom Sharpe ,i actualy cried laffing.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"i love stuart mcbride i,m reading one of his at moment called shatter the bones , i also like karen rose so any good thriller is good for me

I would need a lot of hot chocolate to calm my nerves after that...

would you like some mini marshmallows in it lol "

Go on then, can I have them with the chocolate NOW?

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"

I actually envy you being able to get completely engrossed like that in a book.I am so easily distracted when reading,i pick it up ,put it down ,pick it up again.Very few books have gripped me so that i cant put them down,the last one was Fly for your life -The life of Robert Stanford Tuck.

"

Thats the beauty of Kindle I think. If a book doesn't grab me I can just flick to another one. But when they do I really have problems putting them down.

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

"

Thats the beauty of Kindle I think. If a book doesn't grab me I can just flick to another one. But when they do I really have problems putting them down."

I have a kindle but only to save me lugging loads of technical reference stuff around ,i prefer a real book for my non serious reading,but if you like kindle it must be great .

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

"Oh and Bill Bryson's books have me in utter hysterics

My Fave comedy has to be The Throwback by Tom Sharpe ,i actualy cried laffing."

Is that a Wilt book? Don't think I've come across that one...(not literally of course)

By *imon_hydeMan
over a year ago

Stockport

Fantasy and science fiction mostly. But crime, history and the very occasional literary fiction.

I can highly recommend red country by Joe abercrombie, getting to the end of it now and will be sorry to finish.

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

"

I have a kindle but only to save me lugging loads of technical reference stuff around ,i prefer a real book for my non serious reading,but if you like kindle it must be great . "

I only bought a Kindle as the majority of my luggage allowance was books (8 - 10 per weeks holiday) and I didn't think I'd like it at all, but it's so handy and as Wyrd says, you've potentially got a million books at your fingertips - still no chance I'll get rid of any of my "proper" books, even the ones I've got duplicated on the Kindle

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

Is that a Wilt book? Don't think I've come across that one...(not literally of course) "

lol it is by the same guy ,but its not about university life ...err just what books have you come across then,lowering the tone as you do .

By *atcherofmyballsMan
over a year ago

hereford

I like horror, the top being James Herbert. My fav book has to be The Feather Men by R Finnes

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Is that a Wilt book? Don't think I've come across that one...(not literally of course)

lol it is by the same guy ,but its not about university life ...err just what books have you come across then,lowering the tone as you do . "

You know how some guys apparently do cum tributes across sexy pictures of Cheryl Cole or the Queen Mum??? I just wank over a damn good Sookie Stackhouse personally

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

lol it is by the same guy ,but its not about university life ...err just what books have you come across then,lowering the tone as you do .

You know how some guys apparently do cum tributes across sexy pictures of Cheryl Cole or the Queen Mum??? I just wank over a damn good Sookie Stackhouse personally "

you know what ... I believe you x

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

You know how some guys apparently do cum tributes across sexy pictures of Cheryl Cole or the Queen Mum??? I just wank over a damn good Sookie Stackhouse personally

you know what ... I believe you x"

They're all on my Kindle, it's wipe clean

By *xodussxMan
over a year ago

sheffield

Poetry

over a year ago

"I like horror, the top being James Herbert. My fav book has to be The Feather Men by R Finnes"

The Rats by James Herbert was the first book to make me stay awake all night lol the finale Domain was the last to keep me awake.

The Fog and '48 were his other best for me

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

"I like horror, the top being James Herbert. My fav book has to be The Feather Men by R Finnes

The Rats by James Herbert was the first book to make me stay awake all night lol the finale Domain was the last to keep me awake.

The Fog and '48 were his other best for me"

Have you read the new one, Ash? Bloody brilliant! I was about 8 or 9 when I read Rats (pinched it from my Dad's bookshelf) and I couldn't sleep either - 48 and Portent are my other faves

over a year ago

"Have you read the new one, Ash? Bloody brilliant! I was about 8 or 9 when I read Rats (pinched it from my Dad's bookshelf) and I couldn't sleep either - 48 and Portent are my other faves "

I've heard nothing but good things about it and will read it when the hype is over lol Portent I haven't heard of before, please tell me what that one is about

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Portent is a global warming/abusing the earth type disaster novel, but rings a chord for me...following is the cover synopsis, was released 1992... The last pages of Ash is possibly the best ever ending I've read...

“The time is just a few short years from now. But already the signs of global disaster are multiplying. Freak storms, earthquakes, floods volcanic eruptions are sweeping the earth. The last violent spasms of a dying planet. Then a series of ominous events signal the emergence of new and terrifying forces. While scuba-diving on the Great Barrier Reef a diver watches fascinated as a tiny light floats past him towards the surface. Moments later he is torn to pieces as the reef erupts with shattering power. In Varansi on the banks of the Ganges a young boy pauses in his back-breaking labours, transfixed by the play of a mysterious light amidst the monsoon rains – before a towering geyser of boiling water bursts from beneath the streets to scald him into oblivion. In the Chinese city of Kashi travellers bring back reports of a strange light seen shining above the endless dunes of the Taklimakan Desert. And as the city’s inhabitants watch for its return the desert rises up like a vast living thing to engulf them in a colossal tidal wave of sand. All have seen a portent. A sign of unimaginable powers about to be unleashed. A sign that something incredible is about to begin.” (Synopsis taken from cover)

over a year ago

"Portent is a global warming/abusing the earth type disaster novel, but rings a chord for me...following is the cover synopsis, was released 1992... The last pages of Ash is possibly the best ever ending I've read...

“The time is just a few short years from now. But already the signs of global disaster are multiplying. Freak storms, earthquakes, floods volcanic eruptions are sweeping the earth. The last violent spasms of a dying planet. Then a series of ominous events signal the emergence of new and terrifying forces. While scuba-diving on the Great Barrier Reef a diver watches fascinated as a tiny light floats past him towards the surface. Moments later he is torn to pieces as the reef erupts with shattering power. In Varansi on the banks of the Ganges a young boy pauses in his back-breaking labours, transfixed by the play of a mysterious light amidst the monsoon rains – before a towering geyser of boiling water bursts from beneath the streets to scald him into oblivion. In the Chinese city of Kashi travellers bring back reports of a strange light seen shining above the endless dunes of the Taklimakan Desert. And as the city’s inhabitants watch for its return the desert rises up like a vast living thing to engulf them in a colossal tidal wave of sand. All have seen a portent. A sign of unimaginable powers about to be unleashed. A sign that something incredible is about to begin.” (Synopsis taken from cover)"

That sounds awesome. He does write an amazing epic when he puts the time into it. I like the supernatural style sci-fi disasters too.

Have you read Stephen King's 'Cell' at all? Two guys and a kid survive a supposed terrorist attack through a phone virus that strips away peoples' humanity when they hear a message their phones ring through and turns them into mindless psychopaths.

One guy has to travel home cross country knowing that his baby boy has a phone and has most probably answered the phone call already. Freaky and tragic in only the way King knows

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

"Portent is a global warming/abusing the earth type disaster novel, but rings a chord for me...following is the cover synopsis, was released 1992... The last pages of Ash is possibly the best ever ending I've read...

“The time is just a few short years from now. But already the signs of global disaster are multiplying. Freak storms, earthquakes, floods volcanic eruptions are sweeping the earth. The last violent spasms of a dying planet. Then a series of ominous events signal the emergence of new and terrifying forces. While scuba-diving on the Great Barrier Reef a diver watches fascinated as a tiny light floats past him towards the surface. Moments later he is torn to pieces as the reef erupts with shattering power. In Varansi on the banks of the Ganges a young boy pauses in his back-breaking labours, transfixed by the play of a mysterious light amidst the monsoon rains – before a towering geyser of boiling water bursts from beneath the streets to scald him into oblivion. In the Chinese city of Kashi travellers bring back reports of a strange light seen shining above the endless dunes of the Taklimakan Desert. And as the city’s inhabitants watch for its return the desert rises up like a vast living thing to engulf them in a colossal tidal wave of sand. All have seen a portent. A sign of unimaginable powers about to be unleashed. A sign that something incredible is about to begin.” (Synopsis taken from cover)

That sounds awesome. He does write an amazing epic when he puts the time into it. I like the supernatural style sci-fi disasters too.

Have you read Stephen King's 'Cell' at all? Two guys and a kid survive a supposed terrorist attack through a phone virus that strips away peoples' humanity when they hear a message their phones ring through and turns them into mindless psychopaths.

One guy has to travel home cross country knowing that his baby boy has a phone and has most probably answered the phone call already. Freaky and tragic in only the way King knows"

Yep, just recently re-read Cell after I'd been looking for it for ages(found it in a box in spare room eventually)...Under the Dome is one of his best recently in my opinion...IT is one of my 2 all time faves, (Good Omens by Pratchett n Gaiman being the other), I've worn out 2 copies of each in paperback and now have them on Kindle

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

£2.69 for Portent on Kindle from Amazon

By *atcherofmyballsMan
over a year ago

hereford

[Removed by poster at 15/11/12 01:42:47]

over a year ago

Thanks Caz. Im more of a paperback kinda guy but will find it anyway x

over a year ago

I enjoy fiction and non-fiction.

Favourite type of book is probably science fantasy: pratchett, Tolkien, Robin Hobb, Robert Jordan etc.

But also like historical fiction:

Bernard Cornwell, Simon Scarrow, Phillipa Gregory etc.

Action books:

Tom Clancy, Robert Lludlum, Alistair Maclean etc.

Also like: John Grisham, Dick Francis, Agatha Christie, Tolstoy, Dickens, Georgette Heyer, Tom Holt, Nick Hornby, Michael Ridpath. All sorts really.

Then I read a lot of non-fiction history books. When I was a kid my favourite two books were probably 'Famous People in British History' and 'My Big Book of Fairytales'. We also had the entire works of Shakespeare which I dipped into quite a lot.

My problem is I have a loft full of boxes of books and when I can't fit any more in I have to take a couple of boxes to a charity shop make room for more. Since I got my iPhone started buying a lot on kindle but still look for ones in charity shops that aren't available on kindle so my collection still growing even if not as quickly

By *icked kittyCouple
over a year ago

Uttoxeter

I have a passion for Penguin papebacks,particularly those from the 60's.Its led me to discover some wonderful authors over the years.x

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"do you enjoy? Facts, fiction, science fiction, poetry or a good old naughty tale? "

Used to read all of the above plus technical books by the barrow load

over a year ago

fact.

normally law books and crime stories.

always had an interest into the criminal mind and what makes them tick.

boring arent i.

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"fact.

normally law books and crime stories.

always had an interest into the criminal mind and what makes them tick.

boring arent i. "

That is not boring at all, on the contrary. It feeds into psychology and the human mind and that is such an interesting topic.

over a year ago

"do you enjoy? Facts, fiction, science fiction, poetry or a good old naughty tale? "

Everyone should now know i loves my blackbrotherhood vampire books ....anything erotic, vampiric and demonic suits me

By *ogistical NightmaresCouple
over a year ago

Manchester Area

Ones with big pictures that we can colour in with our crayons

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"do you enjoy? Facts, fiction, science fiction, poetry or a good old naughty tale?

Ones with big pictures that we can colour in with our crayons "

Haha, I sometimes wish I could go back to that age...;-)

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"do you enjoy? Facts, fiction, science fiction, poetry or a good old naughty tale?

Everyone should now know i loves my blackbrotherhood vampire books ....anything erotic, vampiric and demonic suits me "

I really really loved Dracula films - cannot remember the actors names but Christopher Lee was one of them.. Quite erotic undercurrents...

By *arry_UkMan
over a year ago

birmingham

Love autobiographies.... Prefer that to fiction...

over a year ago

I love horror also but.........cant watch films . think my imagination is to good. lmao

over a year ago

Wilbur smiths books ... I spent time in Africa when I was in the forces and have been and experienced some of what he describes.....good memories...

over a year ago

Wilbur smiths books ... I spent time in Africa when I was in the forces and have been and experienced some of what he describes.....good memories...

By *ogistical NightmaresCouple
over a year ago

Manchester Area

Ones with big pictures that we can colour in with our crayons Haha, I sometimes wish I could go back to that age...;-)"

Its fun...McDonalds have colouring sheets with crayons... live the dream

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Wilbur smiths books ... I spent time in Africa when I was in the forces and have been and experienced some of what he describes.....good memories..."
I heard that they are fairly close to reality.. and that was from tlaking to Forces members. Would you agree?

By *phrodite OP   Woman
over a year ago

Ones with big pictures that we can colour in with our crayons Haha, I sometimes wish I could go back to that age...;-)

Its fun...McDonalds have colouring sheets with crayons... live the dream"

Do I really have to eat Macdonald food to get the pictures? I knew there would be a drawback.. pardon pun

Post new Message to Thread