Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

How many have you had?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Jobs!

Do you stick at your job even if you don’t like it, after all it’s a job that pays right? Or is what you do so rewarding that you wouldn’t want to do anything else?

Or are you like me, still unsure what you want to be when you grow up?

I’ve had loads of different jobs, my very first from school was as a baker with 3am starts some days, all the way until now when I start another new job on Monday. In between I must have worked at a dozen different possitions and that’s not exaggerating.

How many job positions have you held and what is your favourite?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *eandmrsjones69Couple
over a year ago

Middle England

Mrs: 1 job

Mr: 4 jobs

By *loorman79Man
over a year ago

leicester

1.paper round (3yrs)

2.sinkie, barman , cellarman (4yrs)

3.floorlayer (20yrs n climbing)

pretty boring really

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Worked for the same company for 34 years in various roles including management positions but left in 2019 due to lack of appreciation and any acknowledgement of what I brought to the company.

Took up a warehouse management role with another company for exactly the same salary but with an hour's commute each way.

Made enormous strides in upgrading the layout and procedures but exactly a year later covid appeared and after 6 months on furlough I was made redundant for the first time in my life.

Luckily it wasn't unexpected and I already had a new job lined up which is on a much lower wage but virtually stress free and my ideas and opinions are very much appreciated and acted upon.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

25 years in this job. Dont mind it but the politics of the job has spoiled it a bit.

over a year ago

"Worked for the same company for 34 years in various roles including management positions but left in 2019 due to lack of appreciation and any acknowledgement of what I brought to the company.

Took up a warehouse management role with another company for exactly the same salary but with an hour's commute each way.

Made enormous strides in upgrading the layout and procedures but exactly a year later covid appeared and after 6 months on furlough I was made redundant for the first time in my life.

Luckily it wasn't unexpected and I already had a new job lined up which is on a much lower wage but virtually stress free and my ideas and opinions are very much appreciated and acted upon. "

For me it’s never about the money. And I think what you say about being appreciated means a lot in a workplace.

over a year ago

"1.paper round (3yrs)

pretty boring really

"

Fitting floors for 20yr? Wow, that’s a long time on your knees.

over a year ago

Since my fist job at 14 I've had 10 jobs.

By *an1978Woman
over a year ago

GONE/TIMEOUT (No DMs please)

7 (counting from when I was 14)

I had a few short term jobs while at college and uni which skews the data.

By *mily36CWoman
over a year ago

Bedford (or anywhere beginning with B..!?)

"1.paper round (3yrs)

pretty boring really

Fitting floors for 20yr? Wow, that’s a long time on your knees. "

It's ok ... he's a professional layer

By *ickshawedCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

If you ignore the jobs I had while a student, I've only worked for two different employers. The first was in mortgages - got made redundant after 3 years during the financial crash in 2008. Got a new job a few months later and been there ever since. Now in my 3rd role. Sometimes I love it, occasionally hate it. Mostly it's fine, and I'm good at it, and appreciated. I have thought of trying a completely new direction, but the pay is good as are the other benefits like flexi time.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Before 2000 loads as I was a bit of a twat tbh ..

Since 2000 just 2 and have been in the same job for 16 years

over a year ago

As a student. I worked a couple off bars as a barman. I really enjoy doing that.

over a year ago

"As a student. I worked a couple off bars as a barman. I really enjoy doing that. "

I worked behind a bar when I was younger.

Great insight into how guys work.

over a year ago

I reckon about 12 jobs, but I'm here to stay now in present job

By *tarburst babydollMan
over a year ago

Dingwall

I did work in a bank when I left school and then worked as a barmaid at weekends. I enjoyed the bar work so much I left the bank to do it full time and have done it ever since for 4 different employers

over a year ago

I have worked in construction my entire life, from being a tea bitch, to working on site, to owning my own company down south, going bankrupt (thanks to a certain supermarket chain - every little certainly does not help), to being a board member elsewhere.

Frankly, it’s a shit, hostile, adversarial, cynical and dejected environment, where everyone preaches about the importance of mental health as a virtue signal, yet drives the market through the floor and expects blood from the supply chain, mostly at the expense of the working man/woman. I am ashamed to say that as my background is commercial, I have participated in that myself over the years.

I am very thankful to say, After 20 years, I have quit to pursue my lifelong ambition of working in teaching, and start at a local school in September. The 37 hour week will be a huge culture shock. Normally done that by Wednesday lunchtime!

By *tephanjMan
over a year ago

Kettering

When I was young I had quite a few jobs all in the same industry,but moved for money. In recent years not moved current job I have been here 13yrs. At my age (67) I'm past retirement age so just hanging this one out

By *avexxMan
over a year ago

cheshire

1st job R.A.F fighter pilot..2nd job rat catcher,,3rd job burger flipper at mcdonalds

By *ixieAndHerKingCouple
over a year ago

Debauchery

I've lost count of the jobs I've done! I get bored after 5 years and have usually moved on by 7!

I've been a nursery school teacher, a gym manager, a pharmacy technician, business owner with all sorts in-between! Currently retail management but leaving soon!

Cherry x

By *N4funCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

12 in 25yrs sounds bad

Job hoped for 5yrs gaining experience, 2 3mth contracts between main jobs and 14yrs in current role as a controls engineer

By *lderflowerappleWoman
over a year ago

Basingstoke

I've always tended to change jobs after 5 years or so. Sometimes that's been a role change within the same employer though.

But have been doing the same job now for 12 years. My 5 year 'itch' coincided with marriage ending and house move and I decided that was enough disruption for a while. So I've ended up hanging around for redundancy while I retrain for my next career on company time and with them largely funding the exams I need!

By *ingdongandBelleCouple
over a year ago

Bishops Strortford

I had 27 jobs in 8 years before i was 21 including milk and paper rounds lol. Then my daughter was born and I had 6 over the next 27 years changing for promotion and then moving 200 miles.

I have been on holiday for the last 3 years lol.

over a year ago

I've had 7

over a year ago

3 jobs before going self employed and investing in various business ventures.

over a year ago

I’ve had many “jobs” but always at sea in ships with many different shipping companies.

Whenever I felt had enough money or o got fed up I’d leave the ship and stay wherever I fancied in the world till I was skint and then find a new ship.

Still managed to make it up to unlimited Captain

It’s been a blast.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"I have worked in construction my entire life, from being a tea bitch, to working on site, to owning my own company down south, going bankrupt (thanks to a certain supermarket chain - every little certainly does not help), to being a board member elsewhere.

Frankly, it’s a shit, hostile, adversarial, cynical and dejected environment, where everyone preaches about the importance of mental health as a virtue signal, yet drives the market through the floor and expects blood from the supply chain, mostly at the expense of the working man/woman. I am ashamed to say that as my background is commercial, I have participated in that myself over the years.

I am very thankful to say, After 20 years, I have quit to pursue my lifelong ambition of working in teaching, and start at a local school in September. The 37 hour week will be a huge culture shock. Normally done that by Wednesday lunchtime!"

To be fair, if you're teaching in secondary, you'll be doing much more than 37hrs a week. However, working in education is certainly a change of pace after working in industry... and so very rewarding.

I have worked in well over a dozen jobs, ranging from processing chickens through electrical maintenance, to IT management. For the last 25 years I have worked in education as "The IT Guy".

Cal

over a year ago

"I've always tended to change jobs after 5 years or so. Sometimes that's been a role change within the same employer though.

But have been doing the same job now for 12 years. My 5 year 'itch' coincided with marriage ending and house move and I decided that was enough disruption for a while. So I've ended up hanging around for redundancy while I retrain for my next career on company time and with them largely funding the exams I need! "

That sounds like a good plan. Is it a new career/ role or similar to the one you're doing now?

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

6 in total

1st 18 years

2nd 10

3rd 6 months

4th 1 month

5th 2 years, then bought the company and have ran it ever since.

over a year ago

"I …….,

I am very thankful to say, After 20 years, I have quit to pursue my lifelong ambition of working in teaching, and start at a local school in September. The 37 hour week will be a huge culture shock. Normally done that by Wednesday lunchtime!"

Sounds wonderful and good luck, the future is with our kids.

By *ighty_tightyMan
over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

Two paper rounds as a young teen.

Apprenticeship in an electronics factory from 16 to 19.

And the last 24 years with the same employer doing a variety of roles, in various locations.

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

2. Then self employed for 12 years

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I'm about to start my 12th job. I had 5 while a student and some for only a summer. Then I got a full time job after graduating for a year and then got a part time job alongside starting a business. I took a bar job on top of working full time while saving to move in with my boyfriend. I also at one point worked one day a week somewhere for a few months as a favour to my dad. I got a second part time job during the pandemic as it was a bad time to be self employed and my other job put us through consultation. That new job I took on has just been a series of temporary contracts and the pay is a lot less than my other job so I'm about to start a new job that is permanent and better paid. I do intend to eventually restart my business but I want to buy a property first and wait until things are more stable. With the cost of living as it is now its too risky.

over a year ago

This job now, is the worst paid, yet most rewarding I’ve done though.

over a year ago

7 jobs in total. Latest job 30s walk to the desk, puts health before wealth and pays for a sunny day. Who's hiring?

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

I've worked for 3 companies (with many career changes) and then started my own business.

I work in travel, which is absolutely doing my head in now!!

C

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

First job at 16, on my 5th now and been there 13 years.

Pay is dogshit.

Hours are dogshit.

Too scared to find something else in case I fail and end up in a worse situation than I'm in now.

over a year ago

Around 15ish

over a year ago

After left care home at young age YTS then pharmaceutical factory then chrome plating plant then security

So four in Liverpool

And two down south

So six in all

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Employers - 4, plus a couple of agency jobs.

Jobs - 19, I think.

By *andonmessMan
over a year ago

A world all of his own

Full time jobs, just the one. Coming up to 30 years in a couple of months. God that makes me feel old. Fuck, I am old

over a year ago

I've had more jobs than I can remember, I follow the money, sticking with one company limits your pay cap. Moving around and you can negotiate better conditions and pay

over a year ago

Since I was 16.. 10 jobs in varying sectors plus bar jobs during teens/uni.

I’ve just accepted job number 11, same sector I’ve been working in for the past 10 years but more security & progression potential than my current self employed contractor role.

I’m looking forward to having work colleagues again!

over a year ago

"Since I was 16.. 10 jobs in varying sectors plus bar jobs during teens/uni.

I’ve just accepted job number 11, same sector I’ve been working in for the past 10 years but more security & progression potential than my current self employed contractor role.

I’m looking forward to having work colleagues again!"

Ambitious women - hot asf

over a year ago

"I have worked in construction my entire life, from being a tea bitch, to working on site, to owning my own company down south, going bankrupt (thanks to a certain supermarket chain - every little certainly does not help), to being a board member elsewhere.

I am very thankful to say, After 20 years, I have quit to pursue my lifelong ambition of working in teaching, and start at a local school in September. The 37 hour week will be a huge culture shock. Normally done that by Wednesday lunchtime!

To be fair, if you're teaching in secondary, you'll be doing much more than 37hrs a week. However, working in education is certainly a change of pace after working in industry... and so very rewarding.

I have worked in well over a dozen jobs, ranging from processing chickens through electrical maintenance, to IT management. For the last 25 years I have worked in education as "The IT Guy".

Cal"

Hey Cal,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Not teaching to start with as not fully qualified but have taken a role in administrating the examinations for the two Secondaries locally.

I’ve always wanted to go into education but somehow got caught up in the pursuit of money

By *ev257Man
over a year ago

cardiff

In 41 years since left school I have had around 20 different jobs lasting anything from 11 years to 2 days.

Once I have had enough n the people in charge stat to piss me off then I'm gone or if it's one of my own business's n it's not paying its way then I close it no matter how much if has earned in the past n have n move on, always lived by that rule n has always worked well for me.

At moment havent worked for last few years as I haven't needed to n may see about getting another part time job soon just to get me out of the house.

Just remember there is always something better out there n it is true I have found.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

Well i'm with my third company in 18 months

(#1 redundancy, #2 incompetent cockwombles) #3 seem to be ok so far

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Just 5 jobs since leaving school. I prefer to stay with the same company. As people leave, you become more valuable in my experience.

By *aldyreynoldsMan
over a year ago

Oldbury

4 including my army days.

over a year ago

2 jobs, my last in retail 14 years straight out of school. And this one, 4years to-date.

They take home pay was more or less the same, well retail actually paid me more by the time you take in benefits, pensions etc

But current job Is far more fulfilling, I'm out and about and I like think I have an impact on peoples lives. So long as I avoid the office politics

By *ampWithABrainWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Since age 14 I’ve had 21 jobs

Military dependent so lots of moving around and some were 2nd jobs to make ends meet at various points

All kinds from hospitality and factory to senior admin and everything in between

Loved most of them for different reasons

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

Lots if you include temping. I've had the present job for 5 years which is the longest I've ever had the same job though I did change teams into a different area so even that's not true.

over a year ago

Shop fitter

Metal worker

Back to shop fitter

Antique restorer

Bench joiner

Supermarket work

Now self employed handyman and gardener

Mrs

Dental nurse

Jewellery repair

Self employed cleaner

Now lady of leisure

over a year ago

You go where the money is.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

I'm sorry to inform you that teaching is not a 37hr week. Your contract might say that, but the reality is very, VERY different, especially in the first two or three years. 50-60hrs a week would be fairly typical (this obviously isn't all worked at the school premises, but will be things needing to be done at home, at the weekend/evenings etc).

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

I've had quite a few, with some career changes in the mix. Started out as a lab rat in pharmaceutical and medical device industries. Then into anti microbial research. Then into education, where I've remained. I've been with my current employer (in different roles) since the start of 2013

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"The 37 hour week will be a huge culture shock. Normally done that by Wednesday lunchtime!"

Oh there'll be a shock alright

over a year ago

One

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

I've had a varied career

By *ixieAndHerKingCouple
over a year ago

Debauchery

Two jobs.. retail and the one I have now. Changed roles in the one I have now a few times, but still the same paymaster.

Hades

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Are we classing job the same as a career? I've had one career but 2 jobs within that, soon to be 3 in August

By *igBick48Man
over a year ago

ayrshire

Army 8 years

Then golf course rough landscaping for a few months

Boat yard welder 4 years

Now i fix big diggers

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

4 year apprenticeship

2 years papermill

(Moved across country)

4 years fitter to workshop supervisor

2 years contracting

6 years multi skilled tech then Mech engineer.

6 years Mech engineer

2.5 years and counting self employed

Mr

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I think I am on about 15 jobs so far.

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

If you mean what you do for work then I've always been a software engineer (42 years)

In that time I have worked for 8 companies. I'm 65 in about a month and not thinking of retiring just yet.

By *carlet_woman_xxWoman
over a year ago

somewhere

Worked in bars and nightclubs. Hotel receptionist. Croupier here and abroad. Fish shop. Morrisons. Pharmacy technician. Walls sausages. Cashier. Bookkeeping. Now training to be an accountant

Post new Message to Thread