Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Knee Op Madness

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Some NHS trusts refuse to give replacement knee ops to overweight people. It's a postcode lottery and remarkably, since this rule has been introduced then knee operations have dropped. What is going on here guys. Is this levelling up?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

There are many operations they refuse or reluctant to carry out on obese people due to increase danger in the op itself and the prolonged recovery times.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The knee is only able to support a finite amount of weight.

If you’re likely to exceed this limit then what’s the point?

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

There is a lot of fatphobia in the NHS.

Mainstream ideas of risks and consequences of extra weight are being debunked daily by research.

(not all of them, but many)

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

But consistency across the NHS..

It's all over the news...

over a year ago

Where i live the NHS trust does knee replacements on fat people, well they did it on me, twice in fact. Although i needed them following an accident at work which caused a tear in each knee.

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

What was missed is that it is also leading to Health inequalities.

And it is hardly surprising that if you exclude certain people from getting an operation, there will be less operations.

(Not entirely sure if that was sarcasm or not in the OP about this)

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I'm 9 stone over weight and been told I will be allowed my knee op. Worth mentioning it was not my weight that caused the injury

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

"What was missed is that it is also leading to Health inequalities.

And it is hardly surprising that if you exclude certain people from getting an operation, there will be less operations.

(Not entirely sure if that was sarcasm or not in the OP about this)"

Not there case for eveyone so...but if an op carried greater risks and not as much benefit to an obese person but a very much lower risk and greater benefit to someone of whatever the acceptable weight is, then of course there will be inequalities. Can that be helped? I would assume there are already health inequalities with them being obese in the first palce?

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

(Not entirely sure if that was sarcasm or not in the OP about this)"

No sarcasm from OP. Don't like postcode lottery. Everyone should be entitled to the same treatment.. wherever you live..

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

(Not entirely sure if that was sarcasm or not in the OP about this)

No sarcasm from OP. Don't like postcode lottery. Everyone should be entitled to the same treatment.. wherever you live.. "

Cool, I originally read it as apparent surprise that surgeries went down when they made it a lottery

By *ampWithABrainWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

"There is a lot of fatphobia in the NHS.

Mainstream ideas of risks and consequences of extra weight are being debunked daily by research.

(not all of them, but many)"

This!

I was misdiagnosed on something for 2 years cos every gp I saw in that time assumed it was a fat related condition. It wasn’t and during lockdown when it was phone appointments and the gp I spoke to didn’t know I was fat meant I finally got correct dx and treatment.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Seems fair to me, if there’s limited numbers, why give it to someone that’s gonna get less use out of it

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"Seems fair to me, if there’s limited numbers, why give it to someone that’s gonna get less use out of it "

But someone with a knee or knees that are falling to bits cannot increase their activity to get use out of their joints. They become increasingly disabled, yes, they gain weight and live in agonising pain. Then they can't get any assistance to pay for the mobility equipment they need to get out and about and become economically inactive, lacking social contact and isolated from society. Good, innit?

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

"Seems fair to me, if there’s limited numbers, why give it to someone that’s gonna get less use out of it

But someone with a knee or knees that are falling to bits cannot increase their activity to get use out of their joints. They become increasingly disabled, yes, they gain weight and live in agonising pain. Then they can't get any assistance to pay for the mobility equipment they need to get out and about and become economically inactive, lacking social contact and isolated from society. Good, innit? "

Pretty shit, but unless we can make more operations happen they gotta pick someone somehow. Seems like a decent starting point to me

over a year ago

North West

"Seems fair to me, if there’s limited numbers, why give it to someone that’s gonna get less use out of it

But someone with a knee or knees that are falling to bits cannot increase their activity to get use out of their joints. They become increasingly disabled, yes, they gain weight and live in agonising pain. Then they can't get any assistance to pay for the mobility equipment they need to get out and about and become economically inactive, lacking social contact and isolated from society. Good, innit?

Pretty shit, but unless we can make more operations happen they gotta pick someone somehow. Seems like a decent starting point to me "

Seeing as at the moment my pain levels have me contemplating a one way ticket to Switzerland, it's not decent at all.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Pretty shit, but unless we can make more operations happen they gotta pick someone somehow. Seems like a decent starting point to me

Seeing as at the moment my pain levels have me contemplating a one way ticket to Switzerland, it's not decent at all. "

Are you waiting for a knee op to fix that pain?

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

No, it's the continued discrimination against people that are fat.

Obesity is a disease not a life choice.

over a year ago

North West

Seeing as at the moment my pain levels have me contemplating a one way ticket to Switzerland, it's not decent at all.

Are you waiting for a knee op to fix that pain? "

No. There's no operation that can resolve my situation. But I know what horrendous, chronic pain is like.

over a year ago

"I'm 9 stone over weight and been told I will be allowed my knee op. Worth mentioning it was not my weight that caused the injury "

Same here

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Just a knee-d to ‘cap’ the budget…

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"Seems fair to me, if there’s limited numbers, why give it to someone that’s gonna get less use out of it "

There's a whole load of assumptions in there.

Firstly that the fat isn't because their knee is bad.

Secondly that they use the knee less because they are fat.

Thirdly that they wouldn't actually benefit more because they are fat.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Thirdly that they wouldn't actually benefit more because they are fat."

Gotta start somewhere if we’re gonna pick people and like I said, they seem like fair assumptions to me

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

Gotta start somewhere if we’re gonna pick people and like I said, they seem like fair assumptions to me "

I've literally been googling this for last 20mins. Its done by BMI. If its over 30 your fucked. I didn't realise how they were using bmi as an important piece of information. Anyway when i first started reading this thread about it even though it said overweight refused knee replacments I just assumed it was gonna be the dangers of the general anasthetic.

over a year ago

North West

Gotta start somewhere if we’re gonna pick people and like I said, they seem like fair assumptions to me

I've literally been googling this for last 20mins. Its done by BMI. If its over 30 your fucked. I didn't realise how they were using bmi as an important piece of information. Anyway when i first started reading this thread about it even though it said overweight refused knee replacments I just assumed it was gonna be the dangers of the general anasthetic. "

No, it's just an arbitrary BMI cut off and it's not applied in the same way or even at all by all CCGs. It's a postcode lottery. No account is taken of the actual health of the person. My BMI is over 30 but have successfully and safely had three different kinds of surgery in the past 10 yes. Zero issues, complications etc.

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

[Removed by poster at 30/06/22 19:54:33]

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"[Removed by poster at 30/06/22 19:54:33]"

Ffs my bloody thumbs. Deleted by accident I’m not typing it all again

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

BMI is scientifically... Bullshit.

By BMI an athlete is less healthy than your average office worker.

It does not factor in anywhere what it needs to for purposes of health and was never intended to be used in medicine.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

"BMI is scientifically... Bullshit.

It does not factor in anywhere what it needs to for purposes of health and was never intended to be used in medicine."

It’s not entirely bullshit, it’s a good estimate of stress on the heart

I’m sure the doctors choosing to do this have their reasons. And I’m sure if the funding was there they wouldn’t be picking anyone, they’d pick everyone

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

It's not safe to operate on people over a certain weight.

For my last operation I was under by a bit.

I'll need new knees eventually so I'll have to get my weight back down. I don't want to die on the operating table.

Fortunately, my knees are still working for me to walk as exercise, or I'd have to wire my mouth shut.

over a year ago

North West

"BMI is scientifically... Bullshit.

It does not factor in anywhere what it needs to for purposes of health and was never intended to be used in medicine.

It’s not entirely bullshit, it’s a good estimate of stress on the heart

I’m sure the doctors choosing to do this have their reasons. And I’m sure if the funding was there they wouldn’t be picking anyone, they’d pick everyone "

It's not the doctors choosing. The BMA says that body mass index should not be used a sole excluding factor. As does NICE, out of interest. It's CCGs inventing these criteria. It's about costs, pure and simple.

over a year ago

I've literally been googling this for last 20mins. Its done by BMI. If its over 30 your fucked. I didn't realise how they were using bmi as an important piece of information. Anyway when i first started reading this thread about it even though it said overweight refused knee replacments I just assumed it was gonna be the dangers of the general anasthetic. "

My bmi was over 30 and i still had knee replacements x 2. They didn't mention weight and didn't weigh me anyway

over a year ago

I broke both my knees when I was 19. I'm 46 now and they really need doing. I've never been overweight and I'm in constant pain with them but keep getting refused as I'm too young (apparently).

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Someone with really bad knees might end up fat because of immobility.

I know it's harder for me to exercise because of my joints, which I've had problems with all my life.

Stupidly, I let me weight go up again after getting it down; which I did mostly by walking and a strict diet. I made my ankles and feet worse in doing so and lost my gallbladder because I lost the weight quickly.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"I broke both my knees when I was 19. I'm 46 now and they really need doing. I've never been overweight and I'm in constant pain with them but keep getting refused as I'm too young (apparently).

"

Yea, that's another thing they use to not do replace them.

They only want to do them once, so they like to wait until you're totally immobile or over a certain age (possibly 65) as they only last around 15 to 20 years. An obese person might wear them out quicker.

By *elshyXOMan
over a year ago

Newcastle

"I broke both my knees when I was 19. I'm 46 now and they really need doing. I've never been overweight and I'm in constant pain with them but keep getting refused as I'm too young (apparently).

"

As awful as it is this sounds plausible on the basis certain replacement joints have a finite life span before they can start to cause issues themselves!

over a year ago

They only want to do them once, so they like to wait until you're totally immobile or over a certain age (possibly 65) as they only last around 15 to 20 years. An obese person might wear them out quicker.

"

Yeah, they said I'd be lucky to have them done before I'm 65 as they only last about 15yrs.

I'm still pretty mobile and try to keep active but I'm often in a lot of pain, especially with the work I do.

over a year ago

"Some NHS trusts refuse to give replacement knee ops to overweight people. It's a postcode lottery and remarkably, since this rule has been introduced then knee operations have dropped. What is going on here guys. Is this levelling up?"

They will also refuse to give them to slim people who are not active.

Having said that, I’ve was (and even more now) overweight when I got my second knee replacement, so that’s not actually true that overweight people don’t get a joint replacement. There might be other factors for them refusing.

over a year ago

North West

Yeah, they said I'd be lucky to have them done before I'm 65 as they only last about 15yrs.

I'm still pretty mobile and try to keep active but I'm often in a lot of pain, especially with the work I do."

The modern ones can last a lot longer. My Dad (83) has one replaced knee, done with much older technology. It must be about 15yrs old now and it's going strong. His unreplaced knee (declined for good reason) is very disabling for him and is one factor in his recent fall. He broke his C6 vertebra in the fall so having a collapsing knee in an already-wobbly person is not a good thing.

He was scheduled for the other knee to be done pre COVID but had a mini stroke so wasn't medically suitable and then he's been removed from the list during COVID. I think it's too late now.

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

I've literally been googling this for last 20mins. Its done by BMI. If its over 30 your fucked. I didn't realise how they were using bmi as an important piece of information. Anyway when i first started reading this thread about it even though it said overweight refused knee replacments I just assumed it was gonna be the dangers of the general anasthetic.

No, it's just an arbitrary BMI cut off and it's not applied in the same way or even at all by all CCGs. It's a postcode lottery. No account is taken of the actual health of the person. My BMI is over 30 but have successfully and safely had three different kinds of surgery in the past 10 yes. Zero issues, complications etc."

Its just nuts. Bmi can be helpful, but I can't believe it's used to determine if you can or can't. I could understand it being highlighted and maybe a point of concern but to make such a descision just going by it..

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

My bmi was over 30 and i still had knee replacements x 2. They didn't mention weight and didn't weigh me anyway "

Im glad to hear it. Hope all went well.

By *hoirCouple
over a year ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

"There are many operations they refuse or reluctant to carry out on obese people due to increase danger in the op itself and the prolonged recovery times."

The worst part is that they deny it based on their renowned BMI calculator that is known for being incorrect.

C

over a year ago

My bmi was over 30 and i still had knee replacements x 2. They didn't mention weight and didn't weigh me anyway

Im glad to hear it. Hope all went well."

It did

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

No, it's just an arbitrary BMI cut off and it's not applied in the same way or even at all by all CCGs. It's a postcode lottery. No account is taken of the actual health of the person. My BMI is over 30 but have successfully and safely had three different kinds of surgery in the past 10 yes. Zero issues, complications etc.

Its just nuts. Bmi can be helpful, but I can't believe it's used to determine if you can or can't. I could understand it being highlighted and maybe a point of concern but to make such a descision just going by it.."

Is it nuts though? Are we really to believe that you can get to the point of being on a list for a knee replacement without ever seeing a doctor? And you tell them your BMI over the phone and they decide there?

Maybe I’m wrong, but if you need a knee replacement, you’ve probably seen a fair few doctors. And I’m pretty sure they probably put a little note in your file to say whether your a very active carpenter with loads of muscle and a BMI of 31 vs someone that has never exercised in their life with a BMI of 31

I get that it’s not an entirely fair assessment going off BMI, but I think it’s a pretty good assessment. For the most part, if someone has a BMI of 35, in a country where There’s an obesity crisis, I don’t think it’s unfair of a doctor to assume it’s because they’re, not that they are a super star athlete

And on top of that, like my first point, you don’t get to the point of a knee replacement without seeing a few doctors along the way. I’m sure they’re capable of adding a note to your file

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

On the other hand, how easy is it to lose weight if you are unable to do any exercise? requiring a knee replacement could certainly prevent you from being able to exercise.

Cal

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

On the other hand, how easy is it to lose weight if you are unable to do any exercise? requiring a knee replacement could certainly prevent you from being able to exercise.

Cal"

And on the other other hand, how bad do you really want it? If they told me I’d have to lose weight to get the operation, I’d lose weight. Might not be easy, but if you really wanted it you’d make it happen

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

I (Mr) am currently on the waiting list for a full knee replacement.

My injury happened in 2020 and after going through all of the stalling tactics, jabs physio scans etc was finally told that I have no cartilage left around my knee back in March.

Chasing the doc today as haven't heard a thing since and struggling at work each day is such fun.

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

Fed up with waiting for my two replacements I looked at the option of going private.

Best quote I could get for treatment at a local private hospital was just below £30000, Ironically it would be the same surgeon as at the local NHS hospital.

Question is do I take equity release on my house to pay for it and deprive my grandkids of their inheritance.

The situation is not helped by my age (82) and that I have heart issues.

over a year ago

Hope you find somewhere to get that op soon Tom.

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

I think assessment for a knee op., like any op, is done on the chances of best possible outcome. So an artificial joint might last 20 years in a person of average weight, but only 3 or 4 in an overweight person. So what to do?

By *oppolocosTV/TS
over a year ago

inverurie

Personally if people won't help themselves by losing weight then I back the NHS in refusing some treatments. I've had a knee problem (arthritis) , following an op since I was 19. If I don't keep my weight under control it gets really bad, so I work at trying to stay fit and not get too fat. More people need to look after themselves.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"Personally if people won't help themselves by losing weight then I back the NHS in refusing some treatments. I've had a knee problem (arthritis) , following an op since I was 19. If I don't keep my weight under control it gets really bad, so I work at trying to stay fit and not get too fat. More people need to look after themselves. "

I agree. There are a few ops where people are required to lose weight. Depends how bad you want it I guess. There are obviously reasons.

where there are medical reasons for being unable to lose weight then it should be looked at individually.

over a year ago

There is a case of prejudice against those of larger persuasion. I was due to move a Large Gentleman from Hospital, However because of his size we had to find out about access. Apparently he could walk before he came in, he just couldn't get up without assistance.

Catch 22. Because of his size, the ward couldn't get enough people to lift him. so he spent 3 weeks in bed, and he couldn't get himself out of bed=muscle wastage=unable to support himself to walk.

According to the Nurse they never thought he could walk, because of his size they assumed he didn't move.

over a year ago

North West

Its just nuts. Bmi can be helpful, but I can't believe it's used to determine if you can or can't. I could understand it being highlighted and maybe a point of concern but to make such a descision just going by it..

Is it nuts though? Are we really to believe that you can get to the point of being on a list for a knee replacement without ever seeing a doctor? And you tell them your BMI over the phone and they decide there?

Maybe I’m wrong, but if you need a knee replacement, you’ve probably seen a fair few doctors. And I’m pretty sure they probably put a little note in your file to say whether your a very active carpenter with loads of muscle and a BMI of 31 vs someone that has never exercised in their life with a BMI of 31

I get that it’s not an entirely fair assessment going off BMI, but I think it’s a pretty good assessment. For the most part, if someone has a BMI of 35, in a country where There’s an obesity crisis, I don’t think it’s unfair of a doctor to assume it’s because they’re, not that they are a super star athlete

And on top of that, like my first point, you don’t get to the point of a knee replacement without seeing a few doctors along the way. I’m sure they’re capable of adding a note to your file "

I have a BMI of 33 point something, maybe even 34, and I play competitive wheelchair basketball, can push 5k in 30mins and completed the Manchester 10k quicker than many people on foot. I can lift far more in the gym than average for a woman. I'm a hell of a lot fitter than many people with healthy BMIs.

over a year ago

"Fed up with waiting for my two replacements I looked at the option of going private.

Best quote I could get for treatment at a local private hospital was just below £30000, Ironically it would be the same surgeon as at the local NHS hospital.

Question is do I take equity release on my house to pay for it and deprive my grandkids of their inheritance.

The situation is not helped by my age (82) and that I have heart issues. "

Have they not offered you a steroid jag into the knee? It can work very well or it will not work at all, I had one which lasted just 3 weeks. That was 3 weeks of zero pain at Xmas

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

And on top of that, like my first point, you don’t get to the point of a knee replacement without seeing a few doctors along the way. I’m sure they’re capable of adding a note to your file

I have a BMI of 33 point something, maybe even 34, and I play competitive wheelchair basketball, can push 5k in 30mins and completed the Manchester 10k quicker than many people on foot. I can lift far more in the gym than average for a woman. I'm a hell of a lot fitter than many people with healthy BMIs. "

Congrats

over a year ago

I would add my story but it seems all I have to do is loose some weight. All sorted. Easy really

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

"Fed up with waiting for my two replacements I looked at the option of going private.

The situation is not helped by my age (82) and that I have heart issues.

Have they not offered you a steroid jag into the knee? It can work very well or it will not work at all, I had one which lasted just 3 weeks. That was 3 weeks of zero pain at Xmas "

I did take up the offer of Steroid jabs but they only lasted a couple of weeks

over a year ago

"Some NHS trusts refuse to give replacement knee ops to overweight people. It's a postcode lottery and remarkably, since this rule has been introduced then knee operations have dropped. What is going on here guys. Is this levelling up?"

I have had problems with my knee for years. Seen many NHS physiotherapists and nothing has been done. They refuse to replace my knees due to my age.

Been in so much pain in the last 6 months that I have paid to see a private physiotherapist who diagnosed the problem within 10 minutes. Paid to have a private ultra sound and the damage to one of my knees is irreversible and could have been delayed if I had been diagnosed earlier.

I have paid to have a cortisone injection and hyaluronic acid in my knee and it has made such a difference but unfortunately the pain relief is only temporary.

Maybe you should look into it to get some temporary relief. Know you get a cortisone injection through the NHS but heard it's a long process.

over a year ago

And on top of that, like my first point, you don’t get to the point of a knee replacement without seeing a few doctors along the way. I’m sure they’re capable of adding a note to your file "

I saw my GP once regarding my knees, i then saw an orthopedic surgeon once, then had the pre op appointment where i saw a lower down the scale doctor,then the next time i saw anyone was the same orthopdic surgeon on the day of the op.

No one mentioned my weight nor was i weighed.

over a year ago

I saw my GP once regarding my knees, i then saw an orthopedic surgeon once, then had the pre op appointment where i saw a lower down the scale doctor,then the next time i saw anyone was the same orthopdic surgeon on the day of the op.

No one mentioned my weight nor was i weighed."

I should have added that i had an MRI scan that my GP sent me for

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

From what ive read the carpenter with bmi 31 wouldnt get it either. Thats the point. Its not case by case but 1 rule for everyone.

over a year ago

Sorry dont agree. Had my knee surgery and at the time I weighed 21stone, they gave me an epidural instead of knocking me out. Carl

Post new Message to Thread