Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Capt Tom Moore

Jump to newest

By *asycouple1971 OP   Couple
over a year ago

midlands

So its being investigated, seems there is something fishy about how the money is spent.

I donated to this "charity". If it is used to line peoples pocket and not to help people then this is really awful and I hope the guilty get punished very harshly.

This makes me sick. Other genuine charities will now suffer if this is true.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *topthepressMan
over a year ago

MANCHESTER

100% agree

By *om cat 215Man
over a year ago

Derby

Think it's some family members taking the money.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

All charities deduct 'expenses' from the amount they receive. Its a way for some people to earn a living.

By *idesWillTurnMan
over a year ago

Berkshire

There was talk of an investigation earlier in the year

Someone was claiming that a family member made themselves effectively the CEO of the charity and put themselves on 100 grand a year salary

But that's just what I read

I guess we'll see

over a year ago

"So its being investigated, seems there is something fishy about how the money is spent.

I donated to this "charity". If it is used to line peoples pocket and not to help people then this is really awful and I hope the guilty get punished very harshly.

"

It's not the money Sir Tom raised, that went to the NHS charities.

His family set up another charity after he died, it's already been investigated once and looks dodgy to me.

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

"

His family set up another charity after he died, it's already been investigated once and looks dodgy to me."

According to the BBC, they were copyrighting "Captain Tom" in April 2020, before the charity was set up in May.

For context, he was still doing the walk in April 2020, and we were all locked down until June.

My point being that his family haven't hung around in leveraging him, even if this charity is all above board.

over a year ago

"

His family set up another charity after he died, it's already been investigated once and looks dodgy to me.

According to the BBC, they were copyrighting "Captain Tom" in April 2020, before the charity was set up in May.

For context, he was still doing the walk in April 2020, and we were all locked down until June.

My point being that his family haven't hung around in leveraging him, even if this charity is all above board."

Absolutely, hardly a fitting legacy.

over a year ago

See see i told everyone this wouldnt end well all they saw was sweet little old man all i saw was glory and fame hunter and the daughter was just as bad with it oh lets knight him ok says bojo pandering

Oh so sad he died i know lets have a day of tributes

Oh iv an idea lets build a statue

Oh wait a minute for all that pandering we forgot to check the figures and it turns out to be dodge city

As obi wan once said whos the more foolish the fool or the fool that follows them

Smug rant complete

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Didn't get any of my money, never give to these 'pop up' charities.

Only ever give to a local charity thats been going for years.

over a year ago

"So its being investigated, seems there is something fishy about how the money is spent.

100% agree I also donated

"

By *ormorantMan
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

British fair play at its best… guilty until proved otherwise..

By * U mineMan
over a year ago

Fun

"See see i told everyone this wouldnt end well all they saw was sweet little old man all i saw was glory and fame hunter and the daughter was just as bad with it oh lets knight him ok says bojo pandering

Oh wait a minute for all that pandering we forgot to check the figures and it turns out to be dodge city

As obi wan once said whos the more foolish the fool or the fool that follows them

Smug rant complete "

Someone who cannot separate the dreams, generosity of people who believe in good, from the greed of lesser people .You have a right to comment but not gloat, you have no understanding of the goodwill of people, even less why.

over a year ago

"See see i told everyone this wouldnt end well all they saw was sweet little old man all i saw was glory and fame hunter and the daughter was just as bad with it oh lets knight him ok says bojo pandering

Smug rant complete "

Oh mate get a bloody grip, he did what he did as he was a kind hearted old school Englishman. Any scandals or greed were not his own doing. I am sure he did more in those weeks for society than you have your whole lifetime

over a year ago

Sir Tom raised funds for NHS Charities Together which was set up in 2008. The £38m he raised was distributed through the network of NHS charities.

The charity being investigated was set up by his family. His daughter was appointed as CEO on £100k while serving as a trustee.

By *omRachCouple
over a year ago

Wirral

"There was talk of an investigation earlier in the year

Someone was claiming that a family member made themselves effectively the CEO of the charity and put themselves on 100 grand a year salary

A VERY CLOSE family member by all accounts

But that's just what I read

I guess we'll see "

By *enrietteandSamCouple
over a year ago

Staffordshire

I heard his name wasn’t even Tom!

By *ean counterMan
over a year ago

Kettering

Seriously! Are we thinking that the head of all charities is not earning a fooking fortune! Big business these days !

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Smug rant complete

Oh mate get a bloody grip, he did what he did as he was a kind hearted old school Englishman. Any scandals or greed were not his own doing. I am sure he did more in those weeks for society than you have your whole lifetime "

Such a small gesture, turned into such an achievement, now this. What would Sir Tom say now?

over a year ago

The money was just 'resting' in their account Father Ted style

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"The money was just 'resting' in their account Father Ted style "

Sometimes...it's as simple and complicated as that.

over a year ago

Smug rant complete

Oh mate get a bloody grip, he did what he did as he was a kind hearted old school Englishman. Any scandals or greed were not his own doing. I am sure he did more in those weeks for society than you have your whole lifetime "

simply me being born was a gift to all humanity breathing the same air i do is simply magic to the people

By *eisty LadyWoman
over a year ago

Count Your Blessings Cottage, Gratitude Grove

"

I didn’t like this at the time or since.

It was supported by tv because he was a rich old bloke pottering around the garden on his estate

If it’s been an old bloke on benefits walking daily to get his shopping from Asda to keep himself alive and getting sponsored in the process to raise fund for a charity he’d probably have raised sod all

over a year ago

I didn’t like this at the time or since.

It was supported by tv because he was a rich old bloke pottering around the garden on his estate

If it’s been an old bloke on benefits walking daily to get his shopping from Asda to keep himself alive and getting sponsored in the process to raise fund for a charity he’d probably have raised sod all"

Who cares if he was a rich posh old bloke, he did it for everyone of every class and creed.

Bit disgusted with some of the comments aimed at him on here.

By *hoirCouple
over a year ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

"All charities deduct 'expenses' from the amount they receive. Its a way for some people to earn a living."

This is not remotely true. They have to disclose that money as wages of stewards.

C

By *actilemale4uMan
over a year ago

London

This "charity" set up by his daughter had expenses of £240000 (daughters salary £100000)and made charitable donation £160000. Seems bit iffey

over a year ago

"This "charity" set up by his daughter had expenses of £240000 (daughters salary £100000)and made charitable donation £160000. Seems bit iffey

"

That bit doesn't sound good.

over a year ago

(I gather there's an enquiry into all this now. Hopefully it will actually find + publish all the facts. And hopefully there's nothing actually amiss. It'd be a real shame if there was any sort of scam here.)

By *ommenhimCouple
over a year ago

wigan

If his daughter left her 250k job to operate this charity .. would that make a difference … she may have just the skills necessary to manage the charity and make sure it met it’s purpose ?

By *rDJ40Man
over a year ago

Nuneaton

"The money was just 'resting' in their account Father Ted style "
I am here just for this comment! Down with this sort of thing!

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

"If his daughter left her 250k job to operate this charity .. would that make a difference … she may have just the skills necessary to manage the charity and make sure it met it’s purpose ?

"

Speaking of his daughter, it struck me that she never missed an opportunity to get herself onto TV during the whole Mr Moore coverage. I really wouldnt be surprised if she is the guilty party in this.

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

It looks like a technical issue around copyright registration.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

"British fair play at its best… guilty until proved otherwise.."

No smoke without fire I guess

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

"Seriously! Are we thinking that the head of all charities is not earning a fooking fortune! Big business these days ! "

*Some* charities. Many small charities are entirely run by volunteers.

Mr

By *ormorantMan
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

"British fair play at its best… guilty until proved otherwise..

No smoke without fire I guess"

Let’s see what the enquiry finds then cast aspersions …

On that basis everyone who stands trial

Is already guilty….

By *abasaurus RexMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Sounds to me like they’re just milking the new charity they’ve set up for everything they can. Whilst morally dubious, I’ve not heard anything so far that sounds outright illegal.

I think the point of contention hinges around the fact that the family registered ‘Captain Tom’ trademarks prior to starting the charity. One of the Trustees (the daughter) has then applied to be appointed CEO on a large salary, and the charity will have to pay their private company that holds the trademarks for the use of those trade marks. So yet more money in the bag for the family.

Morally dubious. Illegal? Not so sure.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

"British fair play at its best… guilty until proved otherwise..

No smoke without fire I guess

Let’s see what the enquiry finds then cast aspersions …

On that basis everyone who stands trial

Is already guilty…."

I don't really care anyway. I was sick of hearing about Mr Moore before he died, let alone afterwards.

By *airytaleOfNewPorkMan
over a year ago

Close

Smug rant complete "

Jeez.....

By *ave12bpMan
over a year ago

coventry

It's not the first time the charity has been investigated.....it will be closed soon and the veil lifted on those involved.....the whole operation stinks of a money grab

Post new Message to Thread