Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Passport

Jump to newest

By *rtyIan OP   Man
over a year ago

Gateway to the Beacons

I am so glad the passport office is local, a couple in front of me in the queue flew from Edinburgh to bristol last night, hotel in bristol, car hire, come to Newport fly back to Edinburgh tonight

cost 1k to renew a passport to go to Fuerteventura

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I don’t understand why people renew last minute.

You have a passport for 10 years, clearly has an expiry date on it and most people with common sense know places like Spain want your to have minimum 6 months left on it.

Plan ahead and renew in advance!

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

Not with a bit of advance planning, it can all be done online.

By *mateur100Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

"I don’t understand why people renew last minute.

You have a passport for 10 years, clearly has an expiry date on it and most people with common sense know places like Spain want your to have minimum 6 months left on it.

Plan ahead and renew in advance!"

Exactly

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

There are currently huge delays in processing passports. A lot of people missed holidays despite applying months in advance.

over a year ago

Exactly this, I did mine in the last lockdown (they was still open) knowing full well people would do a mad last minute panic at the beginning of this year. All sorted in 8 days

Mrs

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

Well I got my first passport a month ago

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

Think a lot of people have stumbled due to the changes from Brexit and not travelling during Covid, so many countries now don't accept the additional 6 months that were added when you renewed your passport early- they only take it from the actual renewal date...so suddenly you're half a year shy of where you thought you were- typical of the politicians of the world to shaft us for now real reason as usual

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

Many a moon ago, I ended up in this same position after I needed my passport to buy currency, I left it in my back pocket... You guessed it, it went in the washer 4 days before I was travelling. I got to see Peterborough for a few hours..

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

Mine expired in October 2020. Didn't seem much point renewing it at the time.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

[Removed by poster at 29/06/22 10:56:37]

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

We just did my sons, only took 12 days from online application to getting new one in the post.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I am so glad the passport office is local, a couple in front of me in the queue flew from Edinburgh to bristol last night, hotel in bristol, car hire, come to Newport fly back to Edinburgh tonight

cost 1k to renew a passport to go to Fuerteventura "

My nearest passport office is 330km away and my passport was issued 17000km away, and I think my trip to get my passport renewed cost about £100. (Excluding the cost of the passport itself)

By *lueFireCouple
over a year ago

just somewhere around here

Many a moon ago, I ended up in this same position after I needed my passport to buy currency, I left it in my back pocket... You guessed it, it went in the washer 4 days before I was travelling. I got to see Peterborough for a few hours.. "

Sorry you got to see Peterborough

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

Many a moon ago, I ended up in this same position after I needed my passport to buy currency, I left it in my back pocket... You guessed it, it went in the washer 4 days before I was travelling. I got to see Peterborough for a few hours..

Sorry you got to see Peterborough "

By *haron StonerTV/TS
over a year ago

Haywards Heath

Went to France and back on an expired passport, didn't give a rats ass.

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

Yes I check at the beginning of the year to make sure

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Allow an absolute minimum of 10 weeks - I am waiting for mine.

By *rtyIan OP   Man
over a year ago

Gateway to the Beacons

"Allow an absolute minimum of 10 weeks - I am waiting for mine. "

Just had a call from them, appointment at 9.30 in the morning 4 hour turnaround on renewal

over a year ago

"There are currently huge delays in processing passports. A lot of people missed holidays despite applying months in advance."

Ordered mine 4 months before I was meant to fly, igs now been just over a month since the holiday was planned, and still no passport.

For the money you have to pay for it you shouldn't be waiting over 5 months for it

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"There are currently huge delays in processing passports. A lot of people missed holidays despite applying months in advance.

Ordered mine 4 months before I was meant to fly, igs now been just over a month since the holiday was planned, and still no passport.

For the money you have to pay for it you shouldn't be waiting over 5 months for it "

There was a piece on our local news where a mum was staying home with one of her daughter's while the dad took the other children away because the daughter's passport, which they'd applied for several months previously, hadn't arrived.

By *rtyIan OP   Man
over a year ago

Gateway to the Beacons

"There are currently huge delays in processing passports. A lot of people missed holidays despite applying months in advance.

For the money you have to pay for it you shouldn't be waiting over 5 months for it

There was a piece on our local news where a mum was staying home with one of her daughter's while the dad took the other children away because the daughter's passport, which they'd applied for several months previously, hadn't arrived. "

along with flight details, hotel, coach to Heathrow, I had to get on headed paper from the company I am going to do the work for proof it was business-related, for that privilege I am paying £147 for a passport renewal

By *ed VoluptaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral.

Because a lot of folk didn't renew their passports during the pandemic - understandably - there is a much greater demand now. HMPO have issued over 4 million passports so far this year, which is what they normally issue in a whole year. Staff are working flat out & it is extremely rare that folk are missing holidays.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"Went to France and back on an expired passport, didn't give a rats ass. "

Great work dude, you showed them

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I've just read an article that says 35,000 people have had to wait more than ten weeks for their passport.

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Will just renewed his online, it was completed in 3 weeks

By *onnyadtMan
over a year ago

Uttoxeter

"Went to France and back on an expired passport, didn't give a rats ass. "

Well you made me laugh

Either a couple of dozy officers or paper work shy types.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Went to France and back on an expired passport, didn't give a rats ass.

Well you made me laugh

Either a couple of dozy officers or paper work shy types. "

My friend went to France with her sister's passport

By *romagefraisWoman
over a year ago

Sunderland

There are closer ones to Edinburgh but it seems like they're booking people in wherever there's a free appointment rather than the local one so you could live in the same City as a passport office and be sent over the other side of the country.

By *onnyadtMan
over a year ago

Uttoxeter

Well you made me laugh

My friend went to France with her sister's passport "

Well that tops it for me

over a year ago

Renewed mine online week last Monday...arrived home from work today..new one on the doormat

Time to book that Canada trip

over a year ago

Got mine in two weeks when I did it online

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Sent mine off to be renewed in about Feb this year.

It came back in April.

Lots of people wailing about the injustice of the world not bending to their will. Apply when there's six months left, a year if you're worried.

By *eisty LadyWoman
over a year ago

Count Your Blessings Cottage, Gratitude Grove

I don’t have a passport, I doubt I’d ever go abroad again

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Well you made me laugh

Well that tops it for me "

That woman has some brass neck.

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Well you made me laugh

Well that tops it for me

That woman has some brass neck. "

If her sister did too, that might explain it

over a year ago

Might be of interest to some people

My renewal of passport only took 10 days or so in total. Arrived today and only applied online 5th July.

I did return old passport quickly, appears passport printing occurs around the corner, literally, in Bootle, but still, hope this helps acres the scaremongering in the media.

Or I could have just been lucky?

By *ik MMan
over a year ago

Lancashire

Max Speilmann do a service that costs about £25 - they take your pic, complete your application and send your old one off. Hey presto - new passport within 10 days. It would appear they have a fast track into the process and while I appreciate you can do it yourself if the clock is ticking then it’s a far better option (and cheaper) than queuing up on site…

By *rhugesMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

I got a new passport a few month ago only took two week and posted to me

By *batMan
over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

"Think a lot of people have stumbled due to the changes from Brexit [ ... ] typical of the politicians of the world to shaft us for now real reason as usual. "

In fairness to the politicians of "the world" this is a situation made entirely by the politicians of the UK.

The rules for entering the EU were in place for years before Brexit and were agreed by the UK when it was a member. Then there were extra rules for "Schengen" countries too.

Knowing all that, the UK asked to move from the rules they were currently using and insisted on going back to rules that covered non EU countries. It was UK politics that did that, not world politics.

Gbat

By *ockey64Man
over a year ago

Gloucester

Exactly this, I did mine in the last lockdown (they was still open) knowing full well people would do a mad last minute panic at the beginning of this year. All sorted in 8 days

Mrs "

done mine online. Cheaper than going post office. Simple to do . Take your own pic against blank wall. Had it sent literally in a week., . And in the other note. Why fly from Edinburgh. I’ve drove to Edin many times and back in a day. Doing courier work.

over a year ago

That makes no sens as there is a passport office in Glasgow why wouldn’t they have just went there

Also done mine at the start off the year took 4 weeks

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"That makes no sens as there is a passport office in Glasgow why wouldn’t they have just went there

Also done mine at the start off the year took 4 weeks "

You are told what passport office to travel to and if you refuse the office they give you, you cannot request another appointment for a significant period of time.

They take all your details before telling you what office to travel to, so you can't simply put the phone down and try again.

Post new Message to Thread