Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The Python Challenge

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Invasive pythons from Burma have invaded the Florida Everglades and each year this is a competition that runs for a week with a cash prize for those catching the most and the longest. These brave hunters put their lives on the line. Last year's winner caught 223 serpents in a week and the longest was 15 ft. Scientists have just caught the longest female ever found in Florida so far which was 18 ft long. It had dozens of eggs and these cunning scientists actually attached a transmitter to a randy male and followed him through the undergrowth. They then caught the female. Now Tom is no fan of these do gooder science types but in this case it's a good job all round

It's all over the news ..

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I actually felt sorry for that female snake. She wrestled her captors for twenty minutes, image the fear she felt fighting for her life and her eggs. Ultimately she lost .

I find the competition element distasteful too. They need to be culled, get on with it, discreetly and humanely don't glorify it

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

What we have to remember here is that these hunters are science types who probably use the death struggle as part of their research. The longer the snake then the longer the struggle and data and graphs to prove it get their name on some sick scientific journal to be peer reviewed by gleeful mathematic types. A professional game hunter can kill painlessly in seconds. Why not put some chloroform on a rag under the snakes head and she will painlessly drift off. These science buggers cut her open to find her last meal which was a silver footed deer according to reports..

It's all over the news

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"What we have to remember here is that these hunters are science types who probably use the death struggle as part of their research. The longer the snake then the longer the struggle and data and graphs to prove it get their name on some sick scientific journal to be peer reviewed by gleeful mathematic types. A professional game hunter can kill painlessly in seconds. Why not put some chloroform on a rag under the snakes head and she will painlessly drift off. These science buggers cut her open to find her last meal which was a silver footed deer according to reports..

It's all over the news"

I thought you said they did a good job

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

[Removed by poster at 24/06/22 16:29:43]

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

“Gleeful mathematics types” - oh bravo Tom, possibly the best thing you’ve written in ages

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Well I see a tension here between scientists and hunters. Hunters want to dispatch with little fuss.

Why scientists had to wrestle for 20 mins is beyond me unless it was a data gathering exercise ..

Post new Message to Thread