Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Factitious Induced Illness

Jump to newest

By *icketysplits OP   Woman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I have been reading up on this for some work I have.

Clinicians and health care workers are most suspicious of Factitious Induced Illnes in women in their 40s.

So, what leads us to Munchhausen and Munchhausen by Proxy at this age?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Great thread! I would imagine that the person "suffering" from illnesses such as Munchhausen etc. would somehow gain something from being a sufferer, even if it is only attention from others. Sometimes people develop this kind of illness to manipulate the behaviour of others eg prevent a partner from leaving, prevent their children from cutting the chord and leaving. It is a mental health issue for sure.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

err what

over a year ago

I read a true story about it years ago about a woman who was making her child ill, very sad. Not sure what causes it though

over a year ago

"Great thread! I would imagine that the person "suffering" from illnesses such as Munchhausen etc. would somehow gain something from being a sufferer, even if it is only attention from others. Sometimes people develop this kind of illness to manipulate the behaviour of others eg prevent a partner from leaving, prevent their children from cutting the chord and leaving. It is a mental health issue for sure."

I can see the attention seeking but I don't really understand why being female and 40 something makes you more prone to this.

I do wonder if the internet has increased the incidence of factitious illness.

over a year ago

i like cookies

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

No fictitious illness here I am bonafide illing yo!

Respekkkk in a area!

Brah

Brah

Brah

over a year ago

"

I can see the attention seeking but I don't really understand why being female and 40 something makes you more prone to this.

I do wonder if the internet has increased the incidence of factitious illness."

think the internet makes it more available for people to research indepth various illness's so its easier to fake symptoms.

over a year ago

"i like cookies "

It's where people make themselves or their children ill in some way in order to get medical attention.

I like cookies too.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"No fictitious illness here I am bonafide illing yo!

Respekkkk in a area!

Brah

Brah

Brah"

Funky, Lickety is asking a serious question here... and all you can do is bare your bum to us! Can you not come up with something more imaginative ?;-)

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

There was a lady who fed her child salt, tons of it on all their food. Not sure what happened to the child, but it took them along while to find out what was wrong with them

over a year ago

Respekkkk in a area!

Brah

Brah

Brah"

Not fictitious... factitious. How bona is your fide?

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"

think the internet makes it more available for people to research indepth various illness's so its easier to fake symptoms. "

I was just about to say that when you beat me to it. Today anything and I really mean anything is a matter of entry into search engine... and voila. People start suffering from things they had not known about before, too...

over a year ago

"i like cookies

It's where people make themselves or their children ill in some way in order to get medical attention.

I like cookies too."

that is a pretty serious subject

stands down

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Respekkkk in a area!

Brah

Brah

Brah

Not fictitious... factitious. How bona is your fide?"

I did not dare to ask him how fide his boner was...

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

"

think the internet makes it more available for people to research indepth various illness's so its easier to fake symptoms. I was just about to say that when you beat me to it. Today anything and I really mean anything is a matter of entry into search engine... and voila. People start suffering from things they had not known about before, too..."

But isnt that more hypocondry than maunchheason,

over a year ago

"

think the internet makes it more available for people to research indepth various illness's so its easier to fake symptoms. I was just about to say that when you beat me to it. Today anything and I really mean anything is a matter of entry into search engine... and voila. People start suffering from things they had not known about before, too...

But isnt that more hypocondry than maunchheason, "

isnt the difference that a munchausen suffer knows they are faking the illness yet a hypocondriact (sp?) believes they are genuinely ill?

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

Respekkkk in a area!

Brah

Brah

Brah

Not fictitious... factitious. How bona is your fide?"

I can show you if you like!

In all seriousness though Munchhausen is a vague one, I reckon most people suffer the symptoms. Who hasn't played up to an illness, made it worse than it was to get attention. But we aren't all mentally ill. I'm not getting the 40 year old woman thing either, smells of bollocks to me.

Now Munchhausen by proxy however, is on a whole other level of crazy!

over a year ago

"

think the internet makes it more available for people to research indepth various illness's so its easier to fake symptoms. I was just about to say that when you beat me to it. Today anything and I really mean anything is a matter of entry into search engine... and voila. People start suffering from things they had not known about before, too...

But isnt that more hypocondry than maunchheason, "

HypERcondria is different as that person always thinks they are ill (hypOcondria is those fearful of sickness). Hypercondriacs may not go as far as seeking tests and medical appointments. They might just moan a lot to their friends.

over a year ago

i may have just made myself ill. ive literally just gone through a whole pack of marylands in about 5 minutes

i had 1 and just couldnt stop

over a year ago

It is true the internet does have a lot to answer for.. It was only on the national news last week more and more people are making a self diagnosis rather than consult their local GP. Rightly or wrongly I believe it influences people mentally and are becoming obsessed..

over a year ago

"i may have just made myself ill. ive literally just gone through a whole pack of marylands in about 5 minutes

i had 1 and just couldnt stop "

I'm sure there is a name for that condition too but until it comes to me I'll go with out of control cookie monster.

over a year ago

niice that could be my new name

over a year ago

"It is true the internet does have a lot to answer for.. It was only on the national news last week more and more people are making a self diagnosis rather than consult their local GP. Rightly or wrongly I believe it influences people mentally and are becoming obsessed.."

When i looked after a lady in her home i swear she used to read the 'side effects' of every tablet that was given to her..

over a year ago

"It is true the internet does have a lot to answer for.. It was only on the national news last week more and more people are making a self diagnosis rather than consult their local GP. Rightly or wrongly I believe it influences people mentally and are becoming obsessed..

When i looked after a lady in her home i swear she used to read the 'side effects' of every tablet that was given to her.. "

You are supposed to read the side effects information on medication. The issue for some is that they start to feel them just because they have read them.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Sometimes when people are in a state of heightened anxiety they will think that they suffer from symptoms, side effects etc described by others or on the packaging of medication. It is the heightened state of anxiety that can play tricks with the mind... and there is a big difference between an anxious person, who needs help and reassurance, and a person who uses illness for other gains. The latter also needs help but it is a different kind of help.

over a year ago

"

In all seriousness though Munchhausen is a vague one, I reckon most people suffer the symptoms. Who hasn't played up to an illness, made it worse than it was to get attention. But we aren't all mentally ill. I'm not getting the 40 year old woman thing either, smells of bollocks to me.

Now Munchhausen by proxy however, is on a whole other level of crazy!"

Good point. Especially blokes with man flu...

Perhaps the '40 year old woman' aspect is that it's around the time women are left with an 'empty nest' and a crappy husband and need to get attention somehow??

over a year ago

"

Perhaps the '40 year old woman' aspect is that it's around the time women are left with an 'empty nest' and a crappy husband and need to get attention somehow?? "

That's a good point. I didn't see any information on the marital/children status of these women. I was looking at information in relation to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME in children and young people.

over a year ago

"

Perhaps the '40 year old woman' aspect is that it's around the time women are left with an 'empty nest' and a crappy husband and need to get attention somehow?? "

Hey!! Man flu is a serious condition for us guys and dibilitates us differently to the female species due to our genetic background... That's put in lay-mans terms from a scientific research document I read recently... I hear you ladies saying to oneself... I would wager the research was undertaken by a male

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

"

ay increase of this with ladies and the onset of the menopause?

over a year ago

I have read many books "True Stories" on this subject, and i still can't get my head round why a mother would hurt her child so she can gain attention. Pork and i have a school friend that has worked in mental health since leaving school and i asked her about this, all she could really say that it goes deeper than anyone could really explain, it often goes way back into the person's family to find answers..... (Perky)

over a year ago

"

ay increase of this with ladies and the onset of the menopause?"

I will have to cross reference peri menopause. Where's MrWho when we need him?

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

I will have to cross reference peri menopause. Where's MrWho when we need him?"

could try his brother..

he's a Doctor..

over a year ago

"I have read many books "True Stories" on this subject, and i still can't get my head round why a mother would hurt her child so she can gain attention. Pork and i have a school friend that has worked in mental health since leaving school and i asked her about this, all she could really say that it goes deeper than anyone could really explain, it often goes way back into the person's family to find answers..... (Perky)"

That's an interesting thought. I wonder if these women experienced a real illness when young and are trying to recreate the attention and safety they felt then? Hmmm, more to ponder.

over a year ago

"I have been reading up on this for some work I have.

Clinicians and health care workers are most suspicious of Factitious Induced Illnes in women in their 40s.

So, what leads us to Munchhausen and Munchhausen by Proxy at this age?"

I don't think age has anything to do with it, look at that nurse that killed the babies in hospital (Sorry can't remember her name at the moment)

But then when we reach our 40's and on, the children will have left home (well most anyway) The woman will feel lonely, left out therefore no attention... Maybe that's why they do it.... It's a very hard question to answer just as depression is.

over a year ago

"

I will have to cross reference peri menopause. Where's MrWho when we need him?

could try his brother..

he's a Doctor.. "

The Mr ones get to cut people up, the Doctor ones don't. But Dr Who does have a Sonic Screwdriver...

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"I have been reading up on this for some work I have.

So, what leads us to Munchhausen and Munchhausen by Proxy at this age?

I don't think age has anything to do with it, look at that nurse that killed the babies in hospital (Sorry can't remember her name at the moment)

But then when we reach our 40's and on, the children will have left home (well most anyway) The woman will feel lonely, left out therefore no attention... Maybe that's why they do it.... It's a very hard question to answer just as depression is. "

You mean the nurse Beverley (cannot remember surname) in Grantham?

over a year ago

in Lancashire

beverly allitt?

pardon spelling

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Is it not an attention seeking disorder I think its named after some bloke.. I remember reading up on it... Its a sad thing to have I suppose.. not sure if its down to having a surpressed mental illness that leads someone to have this..

over a year ago

"Is it not an attention seeking disorder I think its named after some bloke.. I remember reading up on it... Its a sad thing to have I suppose.. not sure if its down to having a surpressed mental illness that leads someone to have this.. "

Munchhausen is named after someone but I understand clinicians now refer to it as Factitious Induced Illness. I was wondering why clinicians and health workers suspect this when it is women in their 40s rather than older or younger.

over a year ago

"beverly allitt?

pardon spelling"

That's her..... wicked wicked cow

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"Is it not an attention seeking disorder I think its named after some bloke.. I remember reading up on it... Its a sad thing to have I suppose.. not sure if its down to having a surpressed mental illness that leads someone to have this..

Munchhausen is named after someone but I understand clinicians now refer to it as Factitious Induced Illness. I was wondering why clinicians and health workers suspect this when it is women in their 40s rather than older or younger."

Maybe its part of the brain that don't kick in till you are 40 changes in hormones.. I don't know I am just guessing...

Post new Message to Thread