Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

I am Fuming at HMRC

Jump to newest

By *heNerdyFemby OP   Woman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

Apparently now me being a Full time carer no longer counts as work for the purposes of Tax Credits, so thats £60/week that has evaporated.

Fuck the Tories and their Austerity policies

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

You should be eligible for Attendance Allowance though, worth checking.

But yep, I’m no fan of this government.

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

"You should be eligible for Attendance Allowance though, worth checking.

But yep, I’m no fan of this government. "

I meant Carers Allowance. Sorry.

over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

oh I am a carer for my daughter, who does receive DLA.

But they do everything to shave off everything they can. I am just worried its going to get to the point where I am choosing between the electric bill and food for myself (My daughter wont go hungry)

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

"oh I am a carer for my daughter, who does receive DLA.

But they do everything to shave off everything they can. I am just worried its going to get to the point where I am choosing between the electric bill and food for myself (My daughter wont go hungry)"

Nods, I hear you. I’m so sorry you’re having to worry about this.

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Did you vote Tory at last election?

over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

yeah I do get that, but it is a pitiful amount compared to working based on 35 hours a week (the requirement to get it) is is something like £1.99/hour.

I have a plan which will hopefully get me back on track... but sheesh people shouldnt have to jump through so many hoops and still need to struggle

over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

Nope I voted for Stephen Lloyd, Lib Dem

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

"yeah I do get that, but it is a pitiful amount compared to working based on 35 hours a week (the requirement to get it) is is something like £1.99/hour.

I have a plan which will hopefully get me back on track... but sheesh people shouldnt have to jump through so many hoops and still need to struggle"

Yeah the benefits system is fraught with complication and hoop jumping. It simply doesn’t provide an adequate enough safety net. And it’s down to policy choices that this is the case.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Nope I voted for Stephen Lloyd, Lib Dem"

He is a bloody lovely man.

over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

Like everyone he has his faults but he has genuinely tried and succeeded in helping this town over the years (even when not in office) I would vote for him if he were running again

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Another thumbs up for Stephen Lloyd

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 22/06/22 17:05:38]

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I don't know the official name but there are or used to be people employed by ESCC who will assess your benefit claim in a sympathetic manner and tell you honestly what you're entitled to

over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"I don't know the official name but there are or used to be people employed by ESCC who will assess your benefit claim in a sympathetic manner and tell you honestly what you're entitled to

"

I have a short term plan to try and make sure things don't implode. Far from ideal solution but it should work for a bit.

But yea a call to Citizens advice is prolly going to be made aswell as looking for other people who could help

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

This is a good website to check, also they’ve got a brilliant grant finder for the odd/unique grant pots out there that people may be eligible for. Worth a look. Google ‘Turn 2 Us’ to find the website.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I don't know the official name but there are or used to be people employed by ESCC who will assess your benefit claim in a sympathetic manner and tell you honestly what you're entitled to

I have a short term plan to try and make sure things don't implode. Far from ideal solution but it should work for a bit.

But yea a call to Citizens advice is prolly going to be made aswell as looking for other people who could help"

Good idea.

It's not good enough though is it, when you consider the costs of caring for your daughter if you didn't do it.

We had a similar situation with my mum

over a year ago

It's a bit of "one or the other" I'm afraid. My partner gets carers allowance for her daughter (an adult), which is about £67 per week. What's more frustrating, is if her daughter didn't live at home, she'd be entitled to all sorts of premiums and care packages..

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Check out your local community larder, you pay a few quid and get lots of items plus free fruit/veg. Just started using mine, saved me lots!

over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"This is a good website to check, also they’ve got a brilliant grant finder for the odd/unique grant pots out there that people may be eligible for. Worth a look. Google ‘Turn 2 Us’ to find the website.

"

I have seen that site before, I may have to look at it again. Thanks for the reminder!

over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

But yea a call to Citizens advice is prolly going to be made aswell as looking for other people who could help

Good idea.

It's not good enough though is it, when you consider the costs of caring for your daughter if you didn't do it.

We had a similar situation with my mum "

Even the government would prolly end up paying less if they just paid me to handle it all at a reasonable wage.... because of all the other factors LOL

over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"Check out your local community larder, you pay a few quid and get lots of items plus free fruit/veg. Just started using mine, saved me lots!"

I think places like this are amazing and do great work across the country. I know our local food bank is great.

It is a travesty that they are required in the modern world.

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Where did you hear this? Was it from HMRC? Carers allowance is a taxable income. Unless it’s changed in the last month or so I’m 99% it’s classed as a job.

By *inx.x3Woman
over a year ago

Bath

"Where did you hear this? Was it from HMRC? Carers allowance is a taxable income. Unless it’s changed in the last month or so I’m 99% it’s classed as a job. "

It’s not classed as work for the purposes of tax credits etc.

over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"Where did you hear this? Was it from HMRC? Carers allowance is a taxable income. Unless it’s changed in the last month or so I’m 99% it’s classed as a job. "

From the HMRC representative on the Tax Credits helpline, they even put me on hold for 5-10 minutes while they went to check with superiors.

I have spoken to them many times over the years this is the first time they have claimed it does not count (indeed every other time they were adamant it did count), we need to find at least 16 hours of OTHER work (not necessarily income so self employed startup may work) in order to qualify

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"Where did you hear this? Was it from HMRC? Carers allowance is a taxable income. Unless it’s changed in the last month or so I’m 99% it’s classed as a job.

It’s not classed as work for the purposes of tax credits etc. "

Ah I see. I just knew it was classed as a taxable income. Thanks for clarifying.

over a year ago

Tax office are pricks torys are bricks govetnments are pricks councils are pricks Vive la révolution

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"Where did you hear this? Was it from HMRC? Carers allowance is a taxable income. Unless it’s changed in the last month or so I’m 99% it’s classed as a job.

From the HMRC representative on the Tax Credits helpline, they even put me on hold for 5-10 minutes while they went to check with superiors.

I have spoken to them many times over the years this is the first time they have claimed it does not count (indeed every other time they were adamant it did count), we need to find at least 16 hours of OTHER work (not necessarily income so self employed startup may work) in order to qualify"

That’s ridiculous to just suddenly change it like that, especially at the moment when things are tough anyway

over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"That’s ridiculous to just suddenly change it like that, especially at the moment when things are tough anyway "

yeah and it wouldn't be nearly as bad if it didn't come with the knock on effect to other benefits which are based off the tax credit award.

It could be worse I could be on Universal Credit!

By *ehindHerEyesCouple
over a year ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

Entitled to is a good calculation website as well as turn to us to get an idea as to what you're potentially able to claim, definitely helped me out when I needed it x

The benefits system does suck balls for some areas, my aunt lost her disability badge as they deemed that even though she was a chronic asthmatic with copd and heart issues, because she could struggle around the corner to my nans she didn't need it anymore

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

Does your daughter get direct payments from your local council? If so, could she employ you as a PA? I work in social services finances & see lots of people seem to be doing this now

J x

over a year ago

You can get paid to look after your own child no body told me about this litte gold mine.

over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"You can get paid to look after your own child no body told me about this litte gold mine. "

Well they do need to be receiving disability living allowance at at least three middle band... which isn't exactly easy

over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"Does your daughter get direct payments from your local council? If so, could she employ you as a PA? I work in social services finances & see lots of people seem to be doing this now

J x"

She is 8 so everything is paid to us in her name.

By *iromancergirl1Woman
over a year ago

bolton

I’m a carer for my daughter as she also gets dla and I to get carers allowance universal credit pay you a premium for having a child on dla so they automatically take your carers allowance of you I only keep the carers allowance as it pays my stamp as a job would it’s always been that way for me and iv been getting it for 7 years.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
over a year ago

nearby

Tory austerity but wasting tens of billions a taxpayers money.

£11,000,000,000 interest rate insurance negligence by Sunak

£9,000,000,000 written off bounce back loans by Sunak

£4,900,000,000 written off out of date PPE

£4,000,000,000 second large PPE write off

£36,000,000,000 track and trace

£850,000,000 eat out to help out

£125,000,000 on illegal deportation contract to Rwanda

£72,000,000 lease of Govt charter plane

£53,000,000 garden bridge project written off

£25,000,000 annual cost of maintaining 10681 long term empty MOD homes

£900,000 Irish sea tunnel feasibility study

£900,000 repainting Johnson’s voyager plane

£500,000 police cost investigating partygate

£320,000 Johnsons London water cannon, sold for £25K scrap

£219,703.44 claimed by Lee Anderson for expenses

£175,840.71 claimed by Priti Patel for expenses

£147,943.28 claimed by Will Quince for expenses

£62,000 a head to illegally deport seven refugees

£3,000 claimed by Liz Truss for private members club lunch

7,000 'work at home' desks and chairs from HM land registry, cost unknown, now not required, going into skips

Tens of millions spent by councils on Jubilee while more people need foodbanks and sleep in shop doorways

91,000 civil service redundancies on the way, 'to save money’

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"You can get paid to look after your own child no body told me about this litte gold mine. "

Just wow

By *inx.x3Woman
over a year ago

Bath

What a brainless thing to say.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Tory austerity but wasting tens of billions a taxpayers money.

£11,000,000,000 interest rate insurance negligence by Sunak

£9,000,000,000 written off bounce back loans by Sunak

£4,900,000,000 written off out of date PPE

£4,000,000,000 second large PPE write off

£36,000,000,000 track and trace

£850,000,000 eat out to help out

£125,000,000 on illegal deportation contract to Rwanda

£72,000,000 lease of Govt charter plane

£53,000,000 garden bridge project written off

£25,000,000 annual cost of maintaining 10681 long term empty MOD homes

£900,000 Irish sea tunnel feasibility study

£900,000 repainting Johnson’s voyager plane

£500,000 police cost investigating partygate

£320,000 Johnsons London water cannon, sold for £25K scrap

£219,703.44 claimed by Lee Anderson for expenses

£175,840.71 claimed by Priti Patel for expenses

£147,943.28 claimed by Will Quince for expenses

£62,000 a head to illegally deport seven refugees

£3,000 claimed by Liz Truss for private members club lunch

7,000 'work at home' desks and chairs from HM land registry, cost unknown, now not required, going into skips

Tens of millions spent by councils on Jubilee while more people need foodbanks and sleep in shop doorways

91,000 civil service redundancies on the way, 'to save money’"

You get what you vote for. The working class love Boris, he’s a racist sexist prick who doesn’t care about other peoples suffering . unfortunately people elect leaders that mirror themselves.

By *iss KinkWoman
over a year ago

North/Blackpool

Yes a great £70 a week. Arnt they lucky having a disabled child and not being able to work!!

over a year ago

"Apparently now me being a Full time carer no longer counts as work for the purposes of Tax Credits, so thats £60/week that has evaporated.

Fuck the Tories and their Austerity policies"

'B.J.' rules.

Post new Message to Thread