Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Telegram

Jump to newest

By *otally Benetton OP   Couple
over a year ago

shropshire

Someone has asked to chat via Telegram but we’ve always used WhatsApp as it feels like a more genuine way of communicating. Can anyone recommend Telegran as a safe alternative to WhatsApp? We really don’t know much about it.

Rob

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Telegram is good,no numbers exchanged

By *ntrigued32Couple
over a year ago

Nottingham

We use telegram for our ‘naughty’ chats and WhatsApp for vanilla. It’s definitely on par, if not better

D.

over a year ago

Telegram can be considered more private at the point of your public details, because you do it have to share your phone number. However, it’s not actually encrypted at the back end, so I’d you’re doing anything sensitive it has privacy concerns that are not a problem in WhatsApp. Overall, It’s just another chat app, it’s not an absolutely den of iniquity like Kik, but it’s not used quite as widely as WA.

I quite like it, but don’t use it much. But if someone from here wanted to chat to me more without having to use last centuries messaging platform on Fab, I’d use if if that’s what they were on.

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

it is the platform of choice for people on the far right (by far right I mean literally self-ascribed nazis), so bear that in mind if your going to do anything other than chat with people you know from elsewhere.

By *undance_KidMan
over a year ago

London

Do people on your contact list get to see that you’ve joined Telegram ?

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

We’ve used Telegram for a few years now and never had a problem.

So much easier to set up group chats.

Exactly like WhatsApp but in our eyes better as you can edit text once sent.

K

P.s. Mrs looks stunning in your pics - great pics

By *i_guy_sloughMan
over a year ago

Langley

"Do people on your contact list get to see that you’ve joined Telegram ? "

Yes they do but I think you can turn it off in settings

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

Telegram FTW!

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

Only just started using it myself but seems okay so far

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

"Do people on your contact list get to see that you’ve joined Telegram ? "

It’ll ask when you join if you want to sync your contacts…say no and no one knows you are on Telegram.

By *undance_KidMan
over a year ago

London

Perfect, thanks for that.

over a year ago

I tried it, didn't like it. Automatically links to all your contacts and then other people with your number can find you etc. Easier to just chat on WhatsApp (understand not wanting to give number out for many folks). But as telegram links, it means you have to have a sort of vanilla profile and username etc so family members on there or colleagues don't see profile pictures.

Prefer Kik, while still popular although a bit shit of late, it is less mainstream and has option to not be found my email or phone number.

By *asual_WandererWoman
over a year ago

A spot you want me

My messaging app of choice... naughty and vanilla (although indeed use among my friends is low)

But I like I can hide my no for Fab exploits...and the post send message editing is something the minute I'm back on WhatsApp I miss

I've had a few folk push back that joining tells your phone contacts... and yes thats true, but unlike Kik it's not an app limited to deviance, a lot of anti "Meta universe" folk use it

As for someone saying its linked to the far right, maybe it is, the conspiracy bunch don't like WhatsApp since FB bought it so indeed use of Telegram and Signal have grown

over a year ago

"it is the platform of choice for people on the far right (by far right I mean literally self-ascribed nazis), so bear that in mind if your going to do anything other than chat with people you know from elsewhere."

I think, tbh, that any extremist use is probably limited on there due to the absolute lack of encryption on the back end. I suspect that anyone what is worried about having their shit looked at because it's illegal (rather than a bit naughty) will be on Signal or something that is way way harder to snoop in.

Kik, on the other hand, was implicated in almost 100% of child sexual offence prosecutions, and is absolutely the anonymous (zero checks for anything, sign up and don't even confirm your email etc..) app of choice for nonces.

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

"I tried it, didn't like it. Automatically links to all your contacts and then other people with your number can find you etc. Easier to just chat on WhatsApp (understand not wanting to give number out for many folks). But as telegram links, it means you have to have a sort of vanilla profile and username etc so family members on there or colleagues don't see profile pictures.

Prefer Kik, while still popular although a bit shit of late, it is less mainstream and has option to not be found my email or phone number.

"

It doesn’t automatically link…it asks you if you want to sync your contacts…saying yes, then links, so it’s you agreeing to linking it not automatically

By *otally Benetton OP   Couple
over a year ago

shropshire

Thanks for the info fabbers.

Post new Message to Thread