Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Rod stewart

Jump to newest

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Saw him on loose women last week, forgot what a lovely guy he is. So im having a rod stewart day

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Saw him on loose women last week, forgot what a lovely guy he is. So im having a rod stewart day"

Was amazed when I watched it on i-player last night, that he sang Auld Lang Syne at the Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday.

Good on him

over a year ago

He's one of those guys that time just stands still for. Hes as good today as hes ever been

over a year ago

The greatest white soul singer this country has ever produced.

over a year ago

Him and dusty springfield doing a duet would of been wonderful too here

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Him and dusty springfield doing a duet would of been wonderful too here"

Was just going to say Dusty....

By *obandruthCouple
over a year ago

wolverhampton

[Removed by poster at 12/11/12 12:43:42]

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

only seen him live once, many many years ago... and he was great

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

George Michael can belt out some great Soul tunes too....

over a year ago

Was lucky enough to meet him when in a family holiday in LA a few years ago. A really nice bloke who took a little bit of time to have a kick about of a football with my boys

over a year ago

have always fancyed him. he has good taste in women as well.

By *ogistical NightmaresCouple
over a year ago

Manchester Area

Am looking forward to hearing his duet with Ella Firzgerald on his Christmas album.

A duet with Dusty Is still possible and yes I do know she's dead, but so is Ella Fitzgerald

over a year ago

I like his songs but what was the relevance of his outfit and the song at the Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance on Saturday night? I was at my local RBL yesterday and quite a lot of the people there said the same thing. Plaid suit - for Scottish patriotism, I understand but Auld Lang Syne is what I (and others) don't.

over a year ago

As far as I remember auld Lang syne is about remembering friends x

over a year ago

"Am looking forward to hearing his duet with Ella Firzgerald on his Christmas album.

A duet with Dusty Is still possible and yes I do know she's dead, but so is Ella Fitzgerald"

I was just thinking that, someone did one with eva cassidy, think it was autumn leaves and it might of been one of the xfactor people

over a year ago

"As far as I remember auld Lang syne is about remembering friends x "

Very true. Just seemed a bit weird to hear it other than at New Year really. That's probably why folks, including me, are a bit puzzled about it.

By *kmale421Man
over a year ago

wirral

He was on Graham Norton on Friday night too, along with Cameron Diaz and Sarah Milligan. Did a lovely song at the end of the show and told some funny tales.

Fabulous show, laughed throughout it, especially when Cameron Diaz starts describing how her friends bush needed a trim, pure gold TV and very very funny.

over a year ago

Served him once when he was with Rachel Hunter and both were lovely people.

over a year ago

"The greatest white soul singer this country has ever produced. "

Terry Reid? Stevie Winwood? Steve Marriott?

Marriott's version of stay with me baby is one of the best British soul vocals I've ever heard

over a year ago

"I like his songs but what was the relevance of his outfit and the song at the Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance on Saturday night? I was at my local RBL yesterday and quite a lot of the people there said the same thing. Plaid suit - for Scottish patriotism, I understand but Auld Lang Syne is what I (and others) don't. "

Other than New Year

As well as celebrating the New Year, Auld Lang Syne is very widely used to symbolise other "endings/new beginnings" – including farewells, funerals (and other memorials of the dead), graduations, the end of a (non-New Year) party or a Boy Scout gathering, the election of a new government, the last lowering of the Union Jack as a British Colony achieves independence and even the closing of a retail store. The melody is also widely used for other words, especially the songs of sporting and other clubs, and even national anthems. In Scotland and other parts of Britain, in particular, it is associated with celebrations and memorials of Robert Burns. The following list of specific uses is far from comprehensive.

[edit]In the English-speaking world

In Scotland, it is often sung at the end of a céilidh or a dance.

The tune is played, and sung by the crowd, in the final stages of the annual Edinburgh Military Tattoo.

In many Burns Clubs, it is sung at the end of the Burns supper.

In Great Britain, it is played at the close of the annual Congress (conference) of the Trades Union Congress.

The song is sung at the end of the Last Night of the Proms by the audience (rather than the performers) and so it is not often listed on the official programme.

The song is played at the Passing Out Parade of Young Officers in the Royal Navy as they march up the steps of the Britannia Royal Naval College; and at the Commissioning Parade at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst for young officers joining the British Army, as the cadets march up the steps of their famous Old College building – to the beat of the slow march, after the tune "Will ye no come back?". This custom (or something very like it) is also followed in Naval and Military colleges in many other countries, especially members and former members of the Commonwealth of Nations. Examples include the Royal Military College of Canada, the Royal Military College (Malaysia), the National Defence Academy (India),[19] the Indian Military Academy, the Officers Training Academy(India), the Pakistan Military Academy, and at the equivalent colleges in Singapore, Burma and Nigeria.

Since 2007, the melody has been used as an introduction to the mass chorus of America the Beautiful that is played by the twelve finalist corps at the Finals Retreat at the Drum Corps International World Championships. Coincidentally, "Auld Lang Syne" and "America the Beautiful" have the same metre, and the lyrics can be sung interchangeably.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

he sang a great song on the Princess of Wales tribute album and I cant remember what it was and I cant find the CD

was great

over a year ago

"Saw him on loose women last week, forgot what a lovely guy he is. So im having a rod stewart day"

hes on my "to do" list ive never seen him live and I want to !!!

over a year ago

"Served him once when he was with Rachel Hunter and both were lovely people."

Yep, nice guy. I was in a small bakery near to where he lives 2 places behind him in the queue. He passed the time & chatted with anyone who spoke to him in there. Not a stuck up guy at all. Mind you, how many folks can go shopping in their Ferrari & get away with parking on double yellow lines!?? Only if your name's Rod Stewart I suppose! Good luck to him.

over a year ago

"he sang a great song on the Princess of Wales tribute album and I cant remember what it was and I cant find the CD

was great"

Love minus zero-No limit.

over a year ago

"I like his songs but what was the relevance of his outfit and the song at the Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance on Saturday night? I was at my local RBL yesterday and quite a lot of the people there said the same thing. Plaid suit - for Scottish patriotism, I understand but Auld Lang Syne is what I (and others) don't.

Other than New Year

As well as celebrating the New Year, Auld Lang Syne is very widely used to symbolise other "endings/new beginnings" – including farewells, funerals (and other memorials of the dead), graduations, the end of a (non-New Year) party or a Boy Scout gathering, the election of a new government, the last lowering of the Union Jack as a British Colony achieves independence and even the closing of a retail store. The melody is also widely used for other words, especially the songs of sporting and other clubs, and even national anthems. In Scotland and other parts of Britain, in particular, it is associated with celebrations and memorials of Robert Burns. The following list of specific uses is far from comprehensive.

The tune is played, and sung by the crowd, in the final stages of the annual Edinburgh Military Tattoo.

In Great Britain, it is played at the close of the annual Congress (conference) of the Trades Union Congress.

The song is sung at the end of the Last Night of the Proms by the audience (rather than the performers) and so it is not often listed on the official programme.

The song is played at the Passing Out Parade of Young Officers in the Royal Navy as they march up the steps of the Britannia Royal Naval College; and at the Commissioning Parade at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst for young officers joining the British Army, as the cadets march up the steps of their famous Old College building – to the beat of the slow march, after the tune "Will ye no come back?". This custom (or something very like it) is also followed in Naval and Military colleges in many other countries, especially members and former members of the Commonwealth of Nations. Examples include the Royal Military College of Canada, the Royal Military College (Malaysia), the National Defence Academy (India),[19] the Indian Military Academy, the Officers Training Academy(India), the Pakistan Military Academy, and at the equivalent colleges in Singapore, Burma and Nigeria.

Since 2007, the melody has been used as an introduction to the mass chorus of America the Beautiful that is played by the twelve finalist corps at the Finals Retreat at the Drum Corps International World Championships. Coincidentally, "Auld Lang Syne" and "America the Beautiful" have the same metre, and the lyrics can be sung interchangeably.

"

Thanks for this Laine. Eeeehh just like wikiwotsits on here!! Just hope I can remember it when I tell my drinking pals in the RBL!!

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"he sang a great song on the Princess of Wales tribute album and I cant remember what it was and I cant find the CD

was great

Love minus zero-No limit. "

yup...... that just mad me cry again cheers

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

made*

over a year ago

Thanks for this Laine. Eeeehh just like wikiwotsits on here!! Just hope I can remember it when I tell my drinking pals in the RBL!!

Can always refer them to wiki.

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

"Am looking forward to hearing his duet with Ella Firzgerald on his Christmas album.

A duet with Dusty Is still possible and yes I do know she's dead, but so is Ella Fitzgerald

I was just thinking that, someone did one with eva cassidy, think it was autumn leaves and it might of been one of the xfactor people"

Also Natalie Cole did a duet with her late father Nat King Cole. It's amazing what can be done

over a year ago

I've been in lust with Rod since my teens ..... he just keeps getting better with age.

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

"I've been in lust with Rod since my teens ..... he just keeps getting better with age. "

Didn't like him back in the early years, but he's definately improved with age

over a year ago

"I've been in lust with Rod since my teens ..... he just keeps getting better with age.

Didn't like him back in the early years, but he's definately improved with age "

...that brash boy in his skin-tight trousers wiggling his bum so reminds me of someone.

By *toneblueMan
over a year ago

Southampton

I heard him inter_iewed on Radio 2 the other morning, and he made a big impression on me - unfortunately I arrived at work before it finished, but I thought what a thoroughly nice bloke he seemed. Viva Rod!

over a year ago

Mafia, I didnt read the thread but ....

am singing - she wears it well ........

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

"The greatest white soul singer this country has ever produced. "

great voice but not the best for me.

Paul Young and Mick Hucknall are equally as good. Rod will always be a rocker for me, never understood the "Rod the Mod" label, unless they mean his fashion sence

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

"The greatest white soul singer this country has ever produced.

Marriott's version of stay with me baby is one of the best British soul vocals I've ever heard"

Stevie Winwood and Steve Marriott, like Chris Farlowe are more "Blues" than soul, but they sure can belt 'em out,

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I've been in lust with Rod since my teens ..... he just keeps getting better with age.

Didn't like him back in the early years, but he's definately improved with age "

I can't take to him.

He all but ignored Sarah Millican the other night. He was all over Cameron Diaz.. never looked Sarah's way once.

I had to watch the show through one eye so that I couldn't see the 'lump' next to his mouth.

With all the millions he has why doesn't he have it removed ? I couldn't kiss that lump.....

Never liked him as a singer tho I do see why people do.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I like his songs but what was the relevance of his outfit and the song at the Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance on Saturday night? I was at my local RBL yesterday and quite a lot of the people there said the same thing. Plaid suit - for Scottish patriotism, I understand but Auld Lang Syne is what I (and others) don't.

Other than New Year

Thanks for this Laine. Eeeehh just like wikiwotsits on here!! Just hope I can remember it when I tell my drinking pals in the RBL!! "

The above notwithstanding - Auld Lang Syne should really only be sung at the very end of an event.

The last verse, the one about shaking hands and finishing the drink, is an act of closure.

BTW. The 'other' tune, as used in Sex and the City, is much better than the usual one.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"The greatest white soul singer this country has ever produced.

Marriott's version of stay with me baby is one of the best British soul vocals I've ever heard"

Steve Marriott was my hero RIP

By *illycarrolCouple
over a year ago

n/cle on tyne

rod is god oh yes no matter when he is inter_iewed he comes across as a great bloke, my brother played footie with him in L A they always went to kings head on santa monica boulevard afterwards and was just one of the lads, ty rod for the soundtrack of me life

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I think hes a very likeable guy, his cover versions are questionable though...

Post new Message to Thread