Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Writers Block

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hello

Writers block is absolutely beating my ass right now- anyone got any tips? Especially for some poetry- I used to write about 20 poems a week and now I can’t even get one stanza out.

Please- anyone got any tips on how to stop this? Or any tips on where to get inspiration?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"Hello

Writers block is absolutely beating my ass right now- anyone got any tips? Especially for some poetry- I used to write about 20 poems a week and now I can’t even get one stanza out.

Please- anyone got any tips on how to stop this? Or any tips on where to get inspiration? "

Only thing that has ever worked for me is to do something else which requires as little active thought as possible, aim is to empty the mind.

It certainly doesn't work for everyone, it doesnt always work for me LOL

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Feel your pain. Maybe listen to some of the most inspiring songs you have. Read anything you enjoy. Moments of clarity normally come when your mind is at its most stimulated.

Just my view on what you could do. It can vary from different types of people and it will be good if you get a lot of traction on this thread to help you.

By *rtyIanMan
over a year ago

Gateway to the Beacons

"Hello

Please- anyone got any tips on how to stop this? Or any tips on where to get inspiration? "

i flip from my writing to art

i go somewhere that inspires me

i read something different

i just put the pen down and be mindful

By *ersiantugMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

I can see how you find it cathartic, but you actually need to write 20 poems a week? Experience is the usual maker of inspiration, just as necessity is the mother of invention - so you often just have to go out and get it! Reading too I guess. --pt

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

What are your general interests op? Science, Nature, Love, Music, Tech, Family, People etc. Look up a summary of topics within each category and jot down interesting words. Work on from there.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Llanelli

Pick a subject, write words that relate to that subject down and then make sentences. It's how I write songs if going through a block phase.

By *ooBulMan
over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

Pinterest?

Music? Look at your fave lyrics of a band. John Lennon was an amazing writer. Young Bob Dylan. Tim Minchin - clever bloke. Talented too! "Prejudice" is a good track. Only a ginger can call a ginger ginga! Play music & dance like a kid & remember what it was like to last be like that....

There is a great thing that Denzil Washington does on YouTube. Its inspiring. All about failure. Embrace it & learn to fail! Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbnzAVRZ9Xc

Meditation?

Walking - a long one?

other writers/Poets?

look at some art?

John Cooper Clarke? Benjamin Zephaniah -clever dude. I really admire him t.b.h.

Look at the Romantic poets?

Cold shower?

Listen to a podcast. My fave is Krusher Joule. A graphic designer who worked at Kerrang. Very funny & swears a lot!!!! Mick Wall has one too. Very funny.

Books that have been converted into a famous person reading them?

Read the paper - a real one. Not on-rine. Yes, I meant that!

Go to a coffee shop/pub/restaurant & people watch? Love that.

Paint? Draw?

Have a shit/piss?

Read an auto biography.

Go to a museum?

Watch a film at the cinema. Take in all the people that surround you when you go (people watching a again)

Watch a shit Aussie soap?

You just gotta think outside the box. Do something you don't normally do. That's going to give you something surely?

over a year ago

Morning Pages. Write 6 pages of anything every morning as soon as you wake up. Then look at it later to see if there's any little gems.

Read Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott (I think).

Doodle and mix in words.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Allow yourself the space to daydream, wonder, intellectually masturbate. Frees up the mind.

Write something. Anything. Garbage. Keep it. It helps unblock.

Take notes.

Just keep going

By *ersiantugMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

I think this could depend whether the block is for anything at all, or for something that rises in value to the OP. And to some degree in that case where that value is. It's hard to assess. --pt

over a year ago

"I think this could depend whether the block is for anything at all, or for something that rises in value to the OP. And to some degree in that case where that value is. It's hard to assess. --pt"

Huh?

over a year ago

"Allow yourself the space to daydream, wonder, intellectually masturbate. Frees up the mind.

Write something. Anything. Garbage. Keep it. It helps unblock.

Take notes.

Just keep going "

Love the term ‘intellectually masturbate’ going to use that more

over a year ago

Thank you everyone for your tips! Going to try some of these out-my usual strategies for getting rid of writers block seem to have failed me this time round. Alas; I’m definitely going to try these tips!

over a year ago

Hello fellow poet. I used to write a lot after a swig of scotch and listening to a lot of instrumentals by James Blake and Arca.

Best wishes x

Post new Message to Thread