Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

homelessness

Jump to newest

By *isscheekychops OP   Woman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

It does make me sad more so around this time of year seeing rough sleepers. i just think the poor sod could do with a hot bath and a home cooked meal...

I used to go and wash in the train station and have a shower there...which gave me some dignity..

Its also the ex forces that have been shoved out and basically on their own....

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I used to care about homeless people alot and depending on what i see, i used to give generously - however after a spate of false homeless people being caught out on streets near by, i now tend to only offer/give food or hot drinks and perhapes some old warm clothes.

My negative is about some homless people is looking at them, they look fit enough and happy to engage in a conversation; so whats stopping them from finding a job -

Please all dont jump on wagon and say "its because there homeless they cant get a job" its not true; we had two homeless people working at clients workshop; on the books

In order to stop the Monday morning Trolls having a bash; these are my own opinions and im entittled to them ...

over a year ago

I've given a few of them a bed for the night in the past, until one lad decided to disappear in the early hours of the morning with some of my stuff. Now I don't bother

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I dont tend to give money now, if i buy a big issue i will tell them to keep it and sell it to the next person. I give food, drink and usually a couple of fags.

Went with one guy and bought him a new sleeping bag.

There is a saying "There but for the grace of god go I"

over a year ago

I have worked with both the genuine homeless and the homeless that want to be homeless - I also have made sandwiches for a company that then distributed them to the homeless (street people), some of the homeless want a different life - some dont - some get back and some are in hell out on the streets - its good when you hear a story of a homeless person turning everything around and being successful - I dont give money either but go buy the coffee or the food

over a year ago

I don't give money nor when i was homeless did i beg. i had a volunteer job who used to provide me with lunch and a bus pass. It was that charity who ended up finding me a place to live.

Yes i agree there are those that take the piss out the system but there are those in genuine need....and in terms of working etc not all illness you can see from the outside.

over a year ago

"My negative is about some homless people is looking at them, they look fit enough and happy to engage in a conversation; so whats stopping them from finding a job -

Please all dont jump on wagon and say "its because there homeless they cant get a job" its not true; we had two homeless people working at clients workshop; on the books"

so because you have two homeless people on the books where you work you think that means everywhere will employ homeless people?

There are people out there who do have a home who are finding it hard to get a job now days so really what chance does a homeless person have?

over a year ago

"I dont tend to give money now, if i buy a big issue i will tell them to keep it and sell it to the next person. I give food, drink and usually a couple of fags.

Went with one guy and bought him a new sleeping bag.

There is a saying "There but for the grace of god go I""

Good for you, pity there werent more people about like you.

we dont see any homeless people where we live, just some tramps when i go to southampton hospital.

a man was d*unk and when he bent down to stroke my little dog he fell over. he looked very clean and smart though, i think he was polish.

over a year ago

Its hard to get a job with an address let alone NFA on your cv

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

Tell you a story, its along story.

Used to have to take my son to hospital at leicester and we then went to the big park. It was autumn and the conkers where on the tree. It was lunch time. There was a group of tramps that i was keeping an eye on, over the other side where business men having their lunch. Callum went to look for conkers and some of these business men picked some up for him as they walked by.

These tramps (they werent d*unk it was too early) came up to me and asked if they could help him find conkers. We spent over an hour with them. They where all such characters and long time street people, but they loved helping callum get his conkers.

When it was time to go they said you will come back wont you, and callum really enjoyed himself.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Very few companies will entertain employing people without a fixed address.

In the main because of Employee Liablity Insurance.

over a year ago

"Its hard to get a job with an address let alone NFA on your cv "

Very true. its funny the way people say things about homeless people.

my sister said they were homeless because they wanted to be.

i think people are frightened to think it could possibly happen to them.

so they tell themselves that it never would because they are different.

over a year ago

"Very few companies will entertain employing people without a fixed address.

In the main because of Employee Liablity Insurance."

El should make no difference to it. El is. Legal requirement all companies with either employees or volunteers need to have.

No el policy wording will say they need to have a fixed address!

over a year ago

It could happen to anyone of us , break up of a relationship ,loss of job , illness and many other reasons . How long could you last if your fortunes took a tumble and you had no income , one month six month.

It's the soldiers who I feel sorry for the most and I'd gladdly empty my wallet for a homeless squaddie .

My problem is this we seem to be getting a lot of eastern europeans homeless on our streets , or even begging on street corners .

Shouldn't our government do more .

over a year ago

I used to come across a lot of homelessness when I lived in Manchester and worked in the city, but since moving down to Suffolk, I haven't seen as much.

On the rare occasion that I do see someone, I either buy a couple of Big Issues and tell them to keep the magazines, or if it's a wee bit chilly, I'll get them a warm cuppa and a bacon sarnie.

As for deciding who's genuinely homeless, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. So if they look in need of some help, I usually give it to them.

over a year ago

El should make no difference to it. El is. Legal requirement all companies with either employees or volunteers need to have.

No el policy wording will say they need to have a fixed address! "

putting fixed address aside

lets live in the real world here

someone whos homeless does not have access to a washer or a bath on a regular basis, most dont have a good amount of clothing to wear something clean every day, ok they may go into a public loo etc to have a wash in the morning but lets be honest whos going to want someone whos just spend the night sleeping rough, had a wash in a public loo and no clean set of cloths to put on working with them and in all seriousness whos going to want to spend all day working with someone with limited personal hygiene

over a year ago

Frstly to NaughtyNypho - might i draw your attention about my comments;

1.You should read it all and not be selective; i think i am a commpassionate person and you know NOTHING about me so have no rights to ty and diss my good intentions; i emplyed two homeless people because they demonstrated that they genuinly wanted to work - which is not the same as you implied that i do give a monkeys toss ok...and

2. they are my comments as an employer of near on 300 staff, i get to see my fiar share of time wasting/sponging work shy people; some of those are home;ess to; but NOT all

over a year ago

No el policy wording will say they need to have a fixed address!

putting fixed address aside

lets live in the real world here

someone whos homeless does not have access to a washer or a bath on a regular basis, most dont have a good amount of clothing to wear something clean every day, ok they may go into a public loo etc to have a wash in the morning but lets be honest whos going to want someone whos just spend the night sleeping rough, had a wash in a public loo and no clean set of cloths to put on working with them and in all seriousness whos going to want to spend all day working with someone with limited personal hygiene

"

That is true. I was merely pointing out the EL issue is an excuse, not a reason.

over a year ago

"Frstly to NaughtyNypho - might i draw your attention about my comments;

1.You should read it all and not be selective; i think i am a commpassionate person and you know NOTHING about me so have no rights to ty and diss my good intentions; i emplyed two homeless people because they demonstrated that they genuinly wanted to work - which is not the same as you implied that i do give a monkeys toss ok...and

2. they are my comments as an employer of near on 300 staff, i get to see my fiar share of time wasting/sponging work shy people; some of those are home;ess to; but NOT all

"

when did i imply you didnt give a toss?

seriously that message was very over the top

all i said was because you had homeless people working for you that does not mean all companies will emply them, which is true

i really dont see how that means i think you dont give a toss in anyway at all, nor did i suggest i knew anything about you nor did i try to dismiss your good intentions

i mean seriously chill out

i really can not see at all how you come to the dessision i was saying you didnt give a toss just because i said all because you will emply homeless people that dont mean other will

so if you would like to explain this to me id be very grateful

over a year ago

As an ex homeless Officer for a local authority - can I just ask and throw in the mix - the homeless people that everyone is discussing here appear to be homeless when? cos if you look at the streets in the day and note people milling around (some with cans in their hands) requesting money, and look at the streets at night - there is a vast difference in the number that are there - some people that appear to be homeless in the day are not, there are genuine people that are homeless but there are also street people that do have access to a bed at night, a shower etc - these are put up in temporary accommodation.................... the ones that dont either a) know they can access temporary accommodation or b) dont want to or c) havent managed to are the ones that I consider to be homeless and wish we can help

over a year ago

There is massive difference between genuine homeless folk and those just after cash for drugs or beer.

To see folk homeless saddens me and if asked if i have money for a brew i have taken folk to cafe and bought a brew this sorts out those just after money.

Mental health is major issue in homeless and to actually end up like that is not a nice situation and should not be dismissed.

Way i look at is if i was in that position it would be good if folk helped and looked at me and treated as a human and not just homeless scrounger.

over a year ago

Back on the track of homeless people! Best one i've ever seen was the one here in Blackpool begging on the prom in rags with his dog etc then was caught several times changing in a public loo and driving of in his BMW

over a year ago

Ah well its something close to my heart both on a personal and professional level

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I could not begin to imagine not having a home, the thought of wandering around all day and then hoping to get some sort of shelter for the night beggars belief.

I really don't care 'why' they are there, it is the fact that they are and need help that is important to me. I have no knowledge of what has happened in their lives to bring them to this place, just hope it improves for them.

xx

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

There is also a distinction between those who have a place to sleep and those who have a home.

A huge amount of mentally ill people have been subsumed into cities as a result of care in the community programs. Many of these people have accommodation but it is not a home. They struggle to manage their money, their hygiene, heating their homes and feeding themselves, taking medication and keeping medical and social care appointments and they rarely have any kind of support network - family or friends. Many elderly people are also falling into this category as well.

These forgotten people are regarded by many charities as also being homeless, even though they have a roof over their heads.

A secure place and a bed to sleep in are just the first steps towards having a home.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"

In order to stop the Monday morning Trolls having a bash; these are my own opinions and im entittled to them ... "

Is there really any need for that comment?

over a year ago

"Back on the track of homeless people! Best one i've ever seen was the one here in Blackpool begging on the prom in rags with his dog etc then was caught several times changing in a public loo and driving of in his BMW "

Didn't this one get into the papers lol .

over a year ago

"Back on the track of homeless people! Best one i've ever seen was the one here in Blackpool begging on the prom in rags with his dog etc then was caught several times changing in a public loo and driving of in his BMW

Didn't this one get into the papers lol ."

Same thing happened in Glasgow. They waste it for the genuine homeless ppl although there are the pests that follow you down the street continuously asking for money.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"

In order to stop the Monday morning Trolls having a bash; these are my own opinions and im entittled to them ...

Is there really any need for that comment?

"

Or your second

Maybe this is a day to step away from the keyboard

over a year ago

"Back on the track of homeless people! Best one i've ever seen was the one here in Blackpool begging on the prom in rags with his dog etc then was caught several times changing in a public loo and driving of in his BMW

Didn't this one get into the papers lol ."

We do believe so, Yes

over a year ago

I pay a small amount monthly to a charity that looks after homeless and runaway teens and youths, they give them food and try to get them a bed for the night, a sleeping bag, etc.

It's not much but it is a regular amount I give to try and help, I think what if it was any one of my kids needing that helping hand. Not all homeless are old soldiers or ex mental health patients.

over a year ago

I used to contribute by direct debit to one of the charities that help homeless people but they kept ringing me up to pester me to increase the amount I pledged. IT wasn't just once a year they did but once a month I'd get a call or a letter begging for more money. I cancelled it after that. Now I just take all our old clothes to a local charity shop and let them deal with it howver best they see fit. I never leave clothes out in so called charity bags though after discovering that one collection company was taking out the best items they collect and flogging them on eBay and keeping the profits. Other bags were being stolen by dodgy eastern europeans who then did the same thing.

over a year ago

I'll give money to people on the streets occasionally. I've no doubt some of them end up going home to the suburbs with it. others who are genuinely homeless are hopefully buying food with it and some are possibly buying drugs or booze to numb themselves from their misery. I don't really factor what they're gonna do with it into my decision to give anything. Once I've handed it over it's their business.

I kinda hope I'm helping someone along the way,whatever it is

over a year ago

I will give to the singers and entertainers if I have spare change but only coins. If I can spare it I see no harm in giving a bit.

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I've been homeless. Twice. Not much fun, and can happen to anyone. I was lucky in that I never had to doss down in the street. But sleeping on floors or shelters is grim.

The second time it happened I was at uni and was working too. Don't assume all homeless people are lazy, scrounging gobshites.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

In order to stop the Monday morning Trolls having a bash; these are my own opinions and im entittled to them ... "

your entirely entitled to your _iew..

others are also equally entitled to differ..

that does'nt make them trolls..

over a year ago

"I used to care about homeless people alot and depending on what i see, i used to give generously - however after a spate of false homeless people being caught out on streets near by, i now tend to only offer/give food or hot drinks and perhapes some old warm clothes.

My negative is about some homless people is looking at them, they look fit enough and happy to engage in a conversation; so whats stopping them from finding a job -

Please all dont jump on wagon and say "its because there homeless they cant get a job" its not true; we had two homeless people working at clients workshop; on the books

of course they are going to engage in conversation they are human not scum of the earth...

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

Ive been to see about having my person round for christmas dinner that i mentioned yesterday. The guy im having round isnt homeless, he has a perfectly good home, but he spends as much time possible out of it because he is lonely. He just walks around all day.

There was about 8 people i could have invited round but my house isnt big enough. Not just homeless people are alone in the world

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 12/11/12 16:31:04]

over a year ago

"I've been homeless. Twice. Not much fun, and can happen to anyone. I was lucky in that I never had to doss down in the street. But sleeping on floors or shelters is grim.

The second time it happened I was at uni and was working too. Don't assume all homeless people are lazy, scrounging gobshites."

nor are they all adults, there are hundreds of children ages between 13 and 16 that live on the streets in this country because its a better option than what some of them get at home

none of us really know whats round the corner

over a year ago

people have real problems.

mental problems and have great trouble dealing with life.

no one is perfect in this world and just because some of us have lovely homes,a good job and lots of money we should never forget that all it takes is a sudden collapse of your health and its worth nothing.

people turn their backs on those worse off than them. i do understand that some of us work and work hard just to keep the bills paid and have nothing at the end of each month.

life is never easy, which is why each year before christmas i put of a santa outfit and ride a superbike down to barnardos and drop off presents for the kids which have nothing.

couple of hundred pounds is nothing to give up when you consider these kids must feel unloved and helpless.

most people just see the pound sign and have a me first attitude.

somewhere along the way we lost how to care for each other.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Rough sleepers and homelessness are not the same things. You can be homeless but not out on the streets. You can be out on the streets and have a bed to go to in an hostel. Some people are both homeless and rough sleeping.

Before the Olympics London authorities were working hard to clear those sleeping rough. Some of the methods used are, in my opinion, cruel and don't address the issues. Cutting back the hedges that were planted to 'green' an area to stop them being used as shelter at night. Rounding up people asleep under the bridges and deporting them. Banning soup runs and feeding of homeless people by charities.

This will be a hard winter for some.

over a year ago

I remember when I was homeless in the middle of winter it was the worst experience of my life. I honestly don't think I would have survived had it not been for 1 elderly woman who did give me the time of day and helped a lot with food and drink ect.. At this time of year we need more people like her even the smallest of actions can give people hope. My thoughts will always be with her. Luckily since then I dragged myself back up got a good job, a baby and generally enjoying life, it just feels good to be able to help other people now as she helped me.

By *ig jugsWoman
over a year ago

somewhere

I am working with homeless young people just now aged 16-24, all homeless and living in our unit.They don't beg or are dirty but none the less they still are venerable teenagers who have no home. Homelessness comes in many varieties and it has opened my eyes to the issues as to why people at such a young age are indeed out on their own

over a year ago

Its is hard getting a job when your homeless.. Ive tried.. Im a sofa surfer .. So i know how difficult it is..

over a year ago

I have never been homeless and I'm fortunate. It could happen to anyone though. I can't imagine what it must be like in the winter. Its very humbling to see people with nothing when sometimes I don't appreciate all I have

over a year ago

"I have never been homeless and I'm fortunate. It could happen to anyone though. I can't imagine what it must be like in the winter. Its very humbling to see people with nothing when sometimes I don't appreciate all I have "

Marshmellows and a toasty fire is the best feeling ever ... Deffo in this whether.. Its freezing tonight lol..

By *r ManxMan
over a year ago

NeverWhere

I have worked a lot over the years with the homeless in London, Birmingham and Manchester.

Some like the life, some are institutionalized, some have fallen on hard time and want to escape back to or from life and some are an even fake, which is a very old scam, just read Sherlock Holmes The Man with the Twisted Lip!

So I will stop and talk give food and hot drinks I have even taken them to a café for a full meal and got one to phone home .

Everyone is different and sometimes just needs a friendly helping hand and some people just don’t want to be helped.

over a year ago

The lesson here mr Yorksman40 is if you don't want your opinions criticised then don't post them openly on a public forum...

over a year ago

"...put on working with them and in all seriousness whos going to want to spend all day working with someone with limited personal hygiene

"

Why I can appreciate your point, there are plenty of people who don't have proper personal hygiene, and live in a property and have a job.

The issue, largely, is the perception of the homeless. Most people, make a values decision that they are lazy, or have drug/alcohol dependencies, etc, etc.

Also, not having a permanent address means that these individuals are often unable to get the Social Security assistance they need.

There is an important distinction between those who choose to sleep rough and those who are a victim of circumstances.

over a year ago

i (phil) used to have the attitude of " get a job " Until my relationship broke down, i lost my job and my home all at the same time.

Here i was 40's always worked,nice home, kids etc with just a few clothes in a case with no money etc.

Lucky for me i had a brother with a sofa that put me up, i went to the council but as a single guy i was a low priority for housing,signed of the dole for the very first time in my life, took 6 weeks to get just £60+ a week to live on

I looked and looked for a job, thinking if i can get a job, i can get a flat, after 14 weeks i was losing heart, me staying at my brothers was causing problems with his relationship as his mrs lost her living room, so i looked at going into hostal until my brother said " thats no going to happen "

After 4 months, the council offered me a flat, i moved in with just a kettle and a blow up bed. That same week i got a job I had to live like that a month before i got paid and could start to get bits.

So to anyone saying they are lazy, un washed etc...................remember it could happen to YOU, it nearly did with me and would of without my dear brother.

By *r ManxMan
over a year ago

NeverWhere

Work it out we are only about one to two pay cheques from being homeless !

For me that's two months. So appreciate what you have. You just don't know when you are going to lose it

Post new Message to Thread