Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Any electricians around?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

What is the rubber around wiring called and where is the easiest/cheapest place to get it?

My pet is randomly obsessed with this texture and keeps trying to chew through chargers/headphone wires etc. I've tried offering him that heat shrink tubing stuff but apparently it just doesn't compare

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I’m no electrician but I know there’s a spark between us

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

"What is the rubber around wiring called and where is the easiest/cheapest place to get it?

My pet is randomly obsessed with this texture and keeps trying to chew through chargers/headphone wires etc. I've tried offering him that heat shrink tubing stuff but apparently it just doesn't compare "

Insulation. Screwfix do

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Cable shrink wrap. Put it over the cable and use a lighter to shrink it down to size

By *valanche1001Man
over a year ago

Leeds

"What is the rubber around wiring called and where is the easiest/cheapest place to get it?

My pet is randomly obsessed with this texture and keeps trying to chew through chargers/headphone wires etc. I've tried offering him that heat shrink tubing stuff but apparently it just doesn't compare

Insulation. Screwfix do "

Or sheath (oo-er)

Get some SWA cable, that’ll keep him busy

over a year ago

"I’m no electrician but I know there’s a spark between us"

Oh, you

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Get some cheap/old cables and let them have at it?

over a year ago

Insulation. Screwfix do "

Thank you! I did try searching insulation on amazon but only got loft insulation

over a year ago

"Cable shrink wrap. Put it over the cable and use a lighter to shrink it down to size "

This is what I tried to give him, as I had some left over from covering frayed chargers. He's not interested - I think it's too thin.

over a year ago

Insulation. Screwfix do

Or sheath (oo-er)

Get some SWA cable, that’ll keep him busy "

I'd rather have it without the metal, is that a thing?

over a year ago

"Get some cheap/old cables and let them have at it?"

I did but he got to the metal wiring pretty quickly and I got worried

over a year ago

I can provide some electric for you

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

"Cable shrink wrap. Put it over the cable and use a lighter to shrink it down to size

This is what I tried to give him, as I had some left over from covering frayed chargers. He's not interested - I think it's too thin. "

Right, I assumed you wanted to cover the cables in more insulation to protect them, not distract him, my bad

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

I'd try to discourage an animal to not chew electrical cables.

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

"I’m no electrician but I know there’s a spark between us"

You two so need to get a room already

over a year ago

You can buy spray-on products for your wiring, they work very well. The best one I found was called Professional Strength Chew No More spray. Helluva lot easier than re-routing all the wiring.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Toan...oh shit.

over a year ago

"I'd try to discourage an animal to not chew electrical cables.

"

You'd think it was that easy he's a stubborn little git. He even has a special noise he makes for when he's about to do something he knows he's not supposed to

over a year ago

"You can buy spray-on products for your wiring, they work very well. The best one I found was called Professional Strength Chew No More spray. Helluva lot easier than re-routing all the wiring."

This is for dogs?

over a year ago

"Cable shrink wrap. Put it over the cable and use a lighter to shrink it down to size

This is what I tried to give him, as I had some left over from covering frayed chargers. He's not interested - I think it's too thin.

Right, I assumed you wanted to cover the cables in more insulation to protect them, not distract him, my bad "

No worries, thanks anyway

over a year ago

"I’m no electrician but I know there’s a spark between us

You two so need to get a room already "

I'm trying, he's always "busy"

over a year ago

"You can buy spray-on products for your wiring, they work very well. The best one I found was called Professional Strength Chew No More spray. Helluva lot easier than re-routing all the wiring.

This is for dogs? "

Any animal that likes to chew your wiring, shoes etc. Just don't spray it near the socket.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

"

I agree ...try to get him out of this habit ..not reinforce the behaviour

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

Insulation. Screwfix do

Thank you! I did try searching insulation on amazon but only got loft insulation "

If its the texture have you checked out the rubber kongs in pets at home? Would be the same kinda texture but can fill it with treats and smear peanut butter over the top so take a little while and keep them busy. I would be cautious if a pet were given cable insulation to chew on. It would end up in pieces so getting stuck but also prob full of toxicey stuff? No idea though.

over a year ago

Insulation. Screwfix do

Thank you! I did try searching insulation on amazon but only got loft insulation

If its the texture have you checked out the rubber kongs in pets at home? Would be the same kinda texture but can fill it with treats and smear peanut butter over the top so take a little while and keep them busy. I would be cautious if a pet were given cable insulation to chew on. It would end up in pieces so getting stuck but also prob full of toxicey stuff? No idea though."

Omg I thought this was a sex toy

I think he might get stuck inside it unfortunately

over a year ago

I agree ...try to get him out of this habit ..not reinforce the behaviour "

Honestly I've been trying since he was a baby. He's extremely intelligent so he knows he's not supposed to do it, he just doesn't care. He talks back to me if I scold him as well, and he's of the feathered variety so he can just fly away if I try to spray him or whatever. Buying him some insulation will just keep him busy, give him a new toy and stop him from potentially getting electrocuted.

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

"

They get zapped, they soon learn.

If not its kebab for tea

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Honestly I've been trying since he was a baby. He's extremely intelligent so he knows he's not supposed to do it, he just doesn't care. He talks back to me if I scold him as well, and he's of the feathered variety so he can just fly away if I try to spray him or whatever. Buying him some insulation will just keep him busy, give him a new toy and stop him from potentially getting electrocuted. "

My dog chewed through a vacuum cleaner cable while it was switched on.

He didn't do it again after that, so I think he got a shock.

Lucky he didn't kill himself. I tried to keep cables out of sight after that incident. Both my dogs ignore them now and rarely chew up anything that doesn't contain food.

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Glad for OPs sake that this problem hasn't self-resolved.

No idea how to address it though, but something to change the behaviour rather than enable it would seem preferable.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Honestly I've been trying since he was a baby. He's extremely intelligent so he knows he's not supposed to do it, he just doesn't care. He talks back to me if I scold him as well, and he's of the feathered variety so he can just fly away if I try to spray him or whatever. Buying him some insulation will just keep him busy, give him a new toy and stop him from potentially getting electrocuted. "

Sorry, I assumed it was a dog.You can get think charger cables that cats can't chew through to combat that problem.

By *x cplCouple
over a year ago

North of Oxford

You might find he is only interested in cables with an electrical current passing though them, many animals can pick up on the electro magnetic fields from cables, also there are many different types of insulation used on cables from PVC to mineral based ones including some which are flame retardant to low smoke and fume emitting ones.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Honestly I've been trying since he was a baby. He's extremely intelligent so he knows he's not supposed to do it, he just doesn't care. He talks back to me if I scold him as well, and he's of the feathered variety so he can just fly away if I try to spray him or whatever. Buying him some insulation will just keep him busy, give him a new toy and stop him from potentially getting electrocuted.

Sorry, I assumed it was a dog.You can get think charger cables that cats can't chew through to combat that problem. "

Thick not think.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Just go to screwfix and buy 5m of 1.0mm 2 core flex

It’s probably the cheapest cable you can get that actually resembles a real cable

Or buy an extension cord 2nd hand on Facebook market place and let him destroy that

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

My cat kept chewing the Christmas lights...till one day it electrocuted itself...bolted out of the house...never touched another wire again

over a year ago

"You might find he is only interested in cables with an electrical current passing though them, many animals can pick up on the electro magnetic fields from cables, also there are many different types of insulation used on cables from PVC to mineral based ones including some which are flame retardant to low smoke and fume emitting ones."

Nah he just loves random shit. Plastic buttons, pen caps, pencils. Found him with a hair tie around his neck once because he'd been playing with it. Funny thing is, once I realised he liked chewing on hair ties I cut one open so he wouldn't, y'know, str*ngle himself, but apparently that's half the fun because he was instantly not interested anymore. He's a fucking idiot.

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

"I’m no electrician but I know there’s a spark between us

You two so need to get a room already

I'm trying, he's always "busy" "

Let's man-nap him.

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

[Removed by poster at 20/06/22 16:16:21]

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

My pet is randomly obsessed with this texture and keeps trying to chew through chargers/headphone wires etc. I've tried offering him that heat shrink tubing stuff but apparently it just doesn't compare "

What sort of pet is it?

over a year ago

What sort of pet is it?"

Small parrot Glyn

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

What sort of pet is it?

Small parrot Glyn"

You're not running cables through his cage are you?

over a year ago

What sort of pet is it?

Small parrot Glyn

You're not running cables through his cage are you? "

What are you talking about

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

What sort of pet is it?

Small parrot Glyn

What are you talking about "

Doesn't he have a parrot cage?

over a year ago

What sort of pet is it?

Small parrot Glyn

Doesn't he have a parrot cage?"

Yes but he's not in there all day lol I'm not a monster

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

What sort of pet is it?

Small parrot Glyn

Doesn't he have a parrot cage?

Yes but he's not in there all day lol I'm not a monster "

I'm sure you aren't.

over a year ago

You can't buy the actual insulation, and it isn't the heat shrink stuff.

Go into an electrical wholesaler and ask for 3 or 4mm earth sleeving and that will be the nearest thing you get to it.

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

There's a number of parrot owner forums that have suggestions for deterring bad behaviour. For cable biting it tends to be stop the parrot getting to the cable.

Post new Message to Thread