Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Talk about retro kitchen gadgets!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just seen an advert for a toasted sandwich maker, the ones that make them in triangular shapes.

My family had one of them in the late 70s!!!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

we've still got our Breville

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Ive never bought a sandwich maker, cause i know i would live on them lol

over a year ago

I remember having to butter the bread on the outside in order to make them crispy, and my hands would be a mess after handling them. Happy days!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

there good for lefted overs .like curry /chilli

By *he Original TTMan
over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

Thought this would be about mangles and washboards! Can't beat a good mangle....

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"there good for lefted overs .like curry /chilli "

i a sandwch...genius!!

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

reminds me of stu and his breville lol

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"I remember having to butter the bread on the outside in order to make them crispy, and my hands would be a mess after handling them. Happy days!

"

Thats why spray oil is such a godsend.

over a year ago

We still have a sandwich toaster, not bought that long ago...and yes still butter the bread upside down as it makes for a far nicer toastie

over a year ago

i had one and it was great.

use to put burger bits and baked beans in between the bread.

tasted great and farted all day.

over a year ago

"Just seen an advert for a toasted sandwich maker, the ones that make them in triangular shapes.

"

We had a kettle in the 7-'s as well but I wouldn't call it retro

over a year ago

I can make a toastie using my toaster, either with a cage or with a toastie bag. However, it would mean buttering the bread on the outside.

So I make mine using a frying pan and olive oil nowadays, thanks to a tip from the Nakedhandyman.

over a year ago

70's

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

We have a Roman spoon but I only ever used it once. 1st century AD.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

[Removed by poster at 11/11/12 21:45:39]

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

If I had one i'd be eating them everyday...

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"I can make a toastie using my toaster, either with a cage or with a toastie bag. However, it would mean buttering the bread on the outside.

So I make mine using a frying pan and olive oil nowadays, thanks to a tip from the Nakedhandyman.

"

How do you do them?

over a year ago

i remember making a jam toastie.. near burnt my tongue off.. bad times

over a year ago

"Thought this would be about mangles and washboards! Can't beat a good mangle....

"

Joe Mangle was my favourite!

By *he Original TTMan
over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

I have one I got a few years ago that does 4 at a time!! Soooo many different combinations of filings...!

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Cheese & ham dipped in HP please

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"I have one I got a few years ago that does 4 at a time!! Soooo many different combinations of filings...!

"

What combo woud you do for me then??

over a year ago

I have still got mine that i had as a wedding present to my 1st hubby in 1985 and works lovely. I used to have one also when i was in my bed-sit at the age of 19 wonderful product then (Perky)

over a year ago

"I can make a toastie using my toaster, either with a cage or with a toastie bag. However, it would mean buttering the bread on the outside.

How do you do them?"

Eh?

Just put some oil in the pan, then the sandwich in the pan, turning once when one side is done, and add some more oil in the pan for the other side.

I put 2 slices of cheese in the sandwich, and made one this morning with a slice of corn beef between the cheese slices and it was delicious!

over a year ago

We still use one that sits on the gas hob or wood burner..its great lol

By *he Original TTMan
over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

"I have one I got a few years ago that does 4 at a time!! Soooo many different combinations of filings...!

What combo woud you do for me then?? "

Hmmm, tricky, not sure what you like, so could be risky!

May have to explore your likes further....

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"

haha ok anytime..

By *he Original TTMan
over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

haha ok anytime.. "

My pleasure... Literally I hope!

over a year ago

well we just got a soda stream for an xmas gift for my mother , so now it only going to cost £3 to make a litre of [ which wil taste like shit]

instead of buying a 2 ltre bottle of real for a quid!!! MAN I LOVE PROGRESS!!

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Anybody still got a Goblin Teasmade (ooo er missus)?

More an hotel bedroom gadget than a domestic kitchen appliance but useful none the less.

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple
over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

"Anybody still got a Goblin Teasmade (ooo er missus)?

More an hotel bedroom gadget than a domestic kitchen appliance but useful none the less."

it made sure you got up as the gurgling and dripping water noises made you need to do the loo dash as soon as you woke up

over a year ago

"i remember making a jam toastie.. near burnt my tongue off.. bad times "

oh god dont damage that tongue

over a year ago

I push the bottom piece of bread down to take the shape of the Newcombe sprinkle wit some salt and pepper then crack a raw egg in each side luvly jubbly

over a year ago

I use my foreman for great toasties. No need for butter just lots of strong cheddar :D

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Foreman's brilliant especially since it shows just how much fat has been taken out of the food by grilling which might otherwise have gone straight to the arteries.

over a year ago

The thing with sandwich makers is if you've got cheese or beans in it they are hotter than the sun and burn your tongue, and they tend to ooze out amd burn you lip amd chin too

over a year ago

"Foreman's brilliant especially since it shows just how much fat has been taken out of the food by grilling which might otherwise have gone straight to the arteries."

I put sausages in one, absolutely dreadful as ended up dry and tasteless but then I have never had one, think I will probably sell it at a car boot as that put me right off

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"Just seen an advert for a toasted sandwich maker, the ones that make them in triangular shapes.

"

Chams will still do you a toasty if you want!

over a year ago

We have a potato peeler, tin opener, drinks maker and cleaner all in one, it's brilliant!!

In fact I married her

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"

I've got one of those! Its tricked out to look like a cow (no idea why) and does just one round at a time - perfect for a singleton like me.

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

found this list of seventies gadgets to remind people

1. Teapot and cosy (63 per cent) With most of us now making tea in a cup rather than a pot, the only use for acosy is wearing it on your head.

2. Kitchen scales (61per cent) As more people opt for ready meals and simple dishes, measuring out ingredients is no longer necessary.

3. Tupperware (59 per cent) A Tupperware party is still said to start every 2.2 seconds somewhere in the world - modern cooks must be simply less keen to boast about it.

4. Chip pan (58 per cent) Not as common as they once were, but deep-fat frying still causes 16,000 UK house fires a year.

5. Salt and pepper shakers (57 per cent) A matching set must have been something to show off 30 years ago. Today, no one would notice.

6. Bread bin (56 per cent) Their disappearance from today's Top 20 could mean we're eating less sandwiches - or that they are no longer deemed worth mentioning.

7. Hand-held whisk (52 per cent) These days, whisking something up yourself is just too much effort.

8. Casserole dish (49 per cent) Does its modern relegation show cooking from scratch is no more?

9. Spice rack (44 per cent) The height of sophistication 30 years ago was having one of these stocked with herbs we couldn't pronounce.

10. Pressure cooker (43 per cent) If you didn't mind the risk of your house being blown up, pressure cookers were great time-savers ... until the microwave arrived.

11. Tea strainer (42 per cent) From the days when we used loose tea. Now we all prefer tea bags.

12. Mug tree (41per cent) Attractive - perhaps - for a set, but not if you show off mis-matching mugs kept in most modern kitchens.

13. Toastie maker (38 per cent) If you ever made a toasted sandwich without being burned by molten cheese, you deserved a medal.

14. Souvenir tea towels (37 per cent) Grans always brought back naff towels from which ever seaside town they visited, and it was rude not to use them.

15. Shaped jelly mould (36 per cent) Making jelly in the shape of a rabbit sounded like a good idea ... until it collapsed under its own weight.

16. Egg slicer (36 per cent) Those wires struggled to cut through a hard-boiled egg, but they still managed to slice open your finger.

17. Lolly makers (35 per cent) Mum said home-made was cheaper, but these lollies only tasted of water.

18. Food mixer (35 per cent) The height of technology 30 years ago, but the novelty soon wore off.

19. Soda stream (34 per cent) Oceans of cheap fizzy drinks at your fingertips was the promise, but the home-made version never tasted like the real thing.

20. Electric carving knife (33 per cent) Only ever used to carve the Christmas turkey, and even then it left dinner looking like dog food.

Post new Message to Thread