FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

boss telling employees they will be penalised if they arrive at the office just one minute late

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Initially I felt sorry for the office staff. But then I thought 'wow on some construction jobs I've been on, if you're late more than once over a couple of weeks they don't say anything, you just get a phone call to say "don't bother coming in tomorrow, you're fired"'!!!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Our place docks 15 minutes if you're more than 3 minutes late.

I've worked 10 minutes after my finish time and not been paid for it.

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Maybe not saying anything is the problem. But why be a good boss and get to the bottom of it when you can just fire them instead

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

Capitalism for you I'm afraid

over a year ago

"Capitalism for you I'm afraid"

To be honest I wouldn't penalise staff for being a few minutes late. So long as they are good workers in general.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Capitalism for you I'm afraid

To be honest I wouldn't penalise staff for being a few minutes late. So long as they are good workers in general. "

Then they'd be a couple of minutes letter than that then a bit more again. Where would you draw the line?

By *ocusMan
over a year ago

Cambridge

To be honest I wouldn't penalise staff for being a few minutes late. So long as they are good workers in general. "

Same. I was in charge of an entire department of 50+ people. I never watched the clock for their arrivals/departures. I turned a blind eye if they needed a morning/afternoon/day off occasionally and they had no holiday or very little remaining. One guy had 3 days off for free when his other half walked out on him and it devastated him.

They never let me down on delivery/deadlines and would often put in extra hours even though I told them they had to go home as soon as it hit 5:30.

People often remarked on the productivity, camaraderie and general happiness of my team.

By *avexxMan
over a year ago

cheshire

depends on your time keeping record, if once then they are a prick

By *ocusMan
over a year ago

Cambridge

To be honest I wouldn't penalise staff for being a few minutes late. So long as they are good workers in general.

Then they'd be a couple of minutes letter than that then a bit more again. Where would you draw the line?"

Only the assholes tend to do that. And more often than not that’s the least of their assholism so they don’t usually last that long, either by being shamed my their more responsible peers or being let go for not doing their job.

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

I've had this attitude directed towards me. I responded by getting to the office and not doing a damn thing until my start time comes around, including switching on my computer. I'll go to lunch exactly when I'm supposed to, even if I'm in the middle of something, and take my allotted time to the minute. Then I stop everything at the end of the day the minute I am allowed to.

If they aren't going to have any flexibility then neither am I. I can be an irritating person when I want to be. They soon realised that they got more out of me when we were both flexible. It's not as if being two minutes late occasionally is taking the piss.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

A contract is a contract.

If your boss docked you a minute every day even though you were on time you'd bring up your contract then !

You'd argue you are paid for 8 hours and want 8 hours.

MORE..... We are all late once in a while and no one would take any notice.

BUT ... if someone is late every day they are NOT LATE by their standard. They AIM to arrive a few minutes late each day.

Why should everyone else stick to a standard and carry their load ? Fuck them ......

Tell your colleagues to be on time.

Nothing irks me much more than bosses turning and blind eye to perpetual shirkers and not rewarding the workers.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

[Removed by poster at 19/06/22 12:48:08]

over a year ago

Sounds like a toxic and controlling environment. My fist real job was like that. Luckily I left and realised not everywhere is so stifling, treating adults as if their in primary school.

Fair enough if you have to open up a shop or the office doors etc, but..

over a year ago

A train strike from midnight tomorrow night. So, alot of office staff will be getting their wages 'docked' for arriving late into their offices this coming, Tuesday. morning.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I deleted cos i'd made jokey reference to a violent act that no one should take serious but these days most would slurp on it like it was sticky bbq ribs .... till it dribbled down their chins......

By *ucyLasticsWoman
over a year ago

North West

I got told off for turning up 15 mins early6 as it was confusing the wages clerk. I explained that I always leave early in case the traffic was bad. Nope. Don't clock in early even if you are working that 15 mins extra for free.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I've had this attitude directed towards me. I responded by getting to the office and not doing a damn thing until my start time comes around, including switching on my computer. I'll go to lunch exactly when I'm supposed to, even if I'm in the middle of something, and take my allotted time to the minute. Then I stop everything at the end of the day the minute I am allowed to.

If they aren't going to have any flexibility then neither am I. I can be an irritating person when I want to be. They soon realised that they got more out of me when we were both flexible. It's not as if being two minutes late occasionally is taking the piss. "

occasionally .........

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

Then they'd be a couple of minutes letter than that then a bit more again. Where would you draw the line?

Only the assholes tend to do that. And more often than not that’s the least of their assholism so they don’t usually last that long, either by being shamed my their more responsible peers or being let go for not doing their job."

Can I work for you?

over a year ago

They will count those but all the overtime, finishing late and working through lunch breaks wouldn't be noticed. Luckily I pretty much make my own schedule as my manager trusts me to do so but otherwise I would tell them to do one.

By *rDJ40Man
over a year ago

Nuneaton

This is why people should join trade unions.

over a year ago

"This is why people should join trade unions. "

Having to deal with arsehole bosses (and Trades Unions) is one of the reasons i went self employed.

over a year ago

Simple don’t be late

I hate people who are late it’s so ignorant

I’ve never been late in fact I’m always early

over a year ago

"Initially I felt sorry for the office staff. But then I thought 'wow on some construction jobs I've been on, if you're late more than once over a couple of weeks they don't say anything, you just get a phone call to say "don't bother coming in tomorrow, you're fired"'!!! "

If you can’t make it on time for the job you get paid to do ( unless a very valid reason) then yes you deserve some sort of penalty

over a year ago

"This is why people should join trade unions.

Having to deal with arsehole bosses (and Trades Unions) is one of the reasons i went self employed."

The thing about being self - employed, you’re never that ill to take time off

over a year ago

I’d rather be one hour early rather than one minute late..just the way I am

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Same. I was in charge of an entire department of 50+ people. I never watched the clock for their arrivals/departures. I turned a blind eye if they needed a morning/afternoon/day off occasionally and they had no holiday or very little remaining. One guy had 3 days off for free when his other half walked out on him and it devastated him.

They never let me down on delivery/deadlines and would often put in extra hours even though I told them they had to go home as soon as it hit 5:30.

People often remarked on the productivity, camaraderie and general happiness of my team."

This is how I try to run my team (unless someone higher up starts interfering). They have to be present and correct for timetabled lessons, meetings etc but even then, if someone has a reason why they need to miss such a thing (a good reason), then we can be flexible. My team cover each other's backs.

over a year ago

The last company I worked for had a Lee way of about 3 minutes, especially useful if you get accosted by a customer on the way in to clock in. However from minute 4 you were either docked 15 minutes or you had to work an extra 15. For those who got in late (not always intentional) they figured they were going to have to work 15 minutes anyway so they took their time and clocked in 15 minutes later.

By *m3232Man
over a year ago

maidenhead

If you don’t like it work for yourself and employ someone and then you will see how hard it is running a business that makes money.

Lots or people work hard and lots are lazy sods. So it’s very difficult to be either side of the fence.

over a year ago

Having to deal with arsehole bosses (and Trades Unions) is one of the reasons i went self employed.

The thing about being self - employed, you’re never that ill to take time off "

The thing about being self employed; if i want to go to the beach instead of going to work i can, and no one can stop me (apart from the twats at Lyme Regis town council who thought it was a good idea to dredge the harbour last Friday on what turned out to be one of the hottest days in June on record).

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

The thing about being self - employed, you’re never that ill to take time off "

My son has days off for hangovers.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

Yeah, it’s patterns that become a problem, not 1-off or occasional lateness. Output is more important, but if someone is a bit of a slacker and also regularly turns up late, then the lateness is an easy one to confront

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Initially I felt sorry for the office staff. But then I thought 'wow on some construction jobs I've been on, if you're late more than once over a couple of weeks they don't say anything, you just get a phone call to say "don't bother coming in tomorrow, you're fired"'!!! "

What sort of company / industry did this happen in?

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

I am 99% the times late , sometimes 10 a 20 minutes and other times from 24h to a full week

over a year ago

"Initially I felt sorry for the office staff. But then I thought 'wow on some construction jobs I've been on, if you're late more than once over a couple of weeks they don't say anything, you just get a phone call to say "don't bother coming in tomorrow, you're fired"'!!!

What sort of company / industry did this happen in? "

The article was office personnel.

By *ily Con CarneTV/TS
over a year ago

Cornwall

If I was ever late I would have expected a good spanking.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Initially I felt sorry for the office staff. But then I thought 'wow on some construction jobs I've been on, if you're late more than once over a couple of weeks they don't say anything, you just get a phone call to say "don't bother coming in tomorrow, you're fired"'!!!

What sort of company / industry did this happen in?

The article was office personnel. "

Bit vague! Hard to come up with any meaningful thoughts based on so little info

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"If I was ever late I would have expected a good spanking. "

That sort of policy can obviously backfire, perfectly punctual employees starting to turn up late deliberately so that they can get their cheeks warmed

over a year ago

Wish our boss would do this. Office staff wander in at the time they supposed to start or later. Pisses rest of us off as we get called out by boss if late.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

To be honest, I think that you should always arrive early. You should be ready to start working at your start time, if you aren't arriving until your start time then you're starting work on time.

I also think that you should be able to stop at the time you are contracted to finish. There can be no expectation that you do a few minutes extra for free... unless you're accruing flexible time from it.

Cal

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

To be honest, I think that you should always arrive early. You should be ready to start working at your start time, if you aren't arriving until your start time then you're starting work on time.

I also think that you should be able to stop at the time you are contracted to finish. There can be no expectation that you do a few minutes extra for free... unless you're accruing flexible time from it.

Cal"

Well exactly. Some people confuse start time with arrive time. Time keeping is important.

over a year ago

Cal"

Start time is start time, not turn up time.

Our office staff are worse since they've all come back into the office. Still in the working from home mindset and seem very laid back and casual about thier jobs.

over a year ago

Cal

Our office staff are worse since they've all come back into the office. Still in the working from home mindset and seem very laid back and casual about thier jobs. "

What management need to do is whip the lazy ones and throw em in the dungeon with cold soup and raw eggs.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Cal

Our office staff are worse since they've all come back into the office. Still in the working from home mindset and seem very laid back and casual about thier jobs.

What management need to do is whip the lazy ones and throw em in the dungeon with cold soup and raw eggs. "

Just need people to take a bit of pride in doing their job to the best of their ability.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Cal

What management need to do is whip the lazy ones and throw em in the dungeon with cold soup and raw eggs.

Just need people to take a bit of pride in doing their job to the best of their ability. "

Being on time requires no skill and no special training.

over a year ago

Cal

Just need people to take a bit of pride in doing their job to the best of their ability.

Being on time requires no skill and no special training. "

But it does require a decent transport infrastructure. The joys of a Sunday service timetable working in a 24/7 city.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Cal

But it does require a decent transport infrastructure. The joys of a Sunday service timetable working in a 24/7 city. "

You set off on time to arrive on time to start work on time. It's not rocket science.

over a year ago

The 6 lads that work for me are late every single day supposed to be in my yard at 7 its more like 20 past when they turn up, but they work harder than i could ever expect some times 7 days a week quite often work into the night they never moan and i wouldnt swap them for anyone else. So i never say a word about been late there all paid from 7.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

Cal

But it does require a decent transport infrastructure. The joys of a Sunday service timetable working in a 24/7 city. "

If you’re late every day because of the transport system, then perhaps you need to get an earlier bus / tube / train

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple
over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

My old commute to work was 75 miles on the M3 and M25, always left what I felt was a reasonable amount of extra time for unforeseens.

I was always in the office early, except for over a 2 week period I was late in 3 times due to accidents, always made up the time by working through lunch or staying late.

One day I get pulled into the bosses office and bawled out for being late.

I apologised, pointed out the hazards of the M3 and M25 and that I'd made up any lost time, and often more than what I "owed"

He lost his shit and pointed out in no uncertain fashion that my hours were 8 to 5. I tried reason, it fell on deaf ears.

No problem, I'll not be late again.

Next day at 5pm, I close down my pc and get up to leave.

"Where are you going!!!!!!?"

Home.

"What about this job, its got to be out the door tonight????????"

As you said yesterday, my hours are 8 to 5......

Flexibility and a cuntish attitude goes both ways.

Winston

over a year ago

Cal"

This. I am always at work 10 minutes before my start time so I can get things ready for when the children arrive. Doesn't look good staff coming through the door at the same time of the children

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

"Capitalism for you I'm afraid"

I didn’t realise capitalism was the cause for setting rules and expecting people to follow them

The next time my niece misbehaves and is put in the naughty corner I’ll make sure to blame capitalism

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I had an old boss who considered you to be late if you weren't there 10 minutes before your shift. I could understand that in a previous job when you had to leave time to get changed but in that job I literally only had to switch on a computer so it felt a bit unfair.

By *odgerMooreMan
over a year ago

Carlisle

Often a failure in the ability of a manager to put meaningful metrics of performance in place - if it’s a repetitive pattern then you have a chat about any reason - maybe childcare and transport conspiring to make it impossible for them to be on time - in which case - offer an alternative - like a later start time or flexible working - but the title of this thread could just have easily read ‘ my boss is a pathetic underachiever who has no concept of the real value of staff’. Just my 2p

over a year ago

In my day if you weren’t there before the boss you’d be sent home and told don’t bother coming back or too go home and think about weather you wanted the job or not

over a year ago

"I had an old boss who considered you to be late if you weren't there 10 minutes before your shift. I could understand that in a previous job when you had to leave time to get changed but in that job I literally only had to switch on a computer so it felt a bit unfair. "

My boss was same and tbh so was I as a boss

over a year ago

"In my day if you weren’t there before the boss you’d be sent home and told don’t bother coming back or too go home and think about weather you wanted the job or not "

I worked for him for over 20 years and he never beat me into work

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I had an old boss who considered you to be late if you weren't there 10 minutes before your shift. I could understand that in a previous job when you had to leave time to get changed but in that job I literally only had to switch on a computer so it felt a bit unfair.

My boss was same and tbh so was I as a boss"

I didn't mind her wanting us to idealy be there 10 minutes before but it's a bit rubbish to be chastised for only being there 5 minutes before on occasion if the traffic was bad. I was still starting work at the time my shift started. Often before on the days I was there 10 minutes early as I'd get bored trying to kill 10 minutes.

By *xploring_FunWoman
over a year ago

Coventry

A good boss will know how things affect a team and deal with it accordingly.

I used to get the train to work and around once a fortnight I’d be late. Every other day I was in work 20 mins early and always ended up working that time. Also, because of train times, I always worked 15 minutes extra every day. I was pretty much always the bridge between the shifts. So I more than made up for it. I was also the only childless/no elderly parent/no other responsibilities person in the team so I was the one relied on to stay late when needed, I covered Saturdays when needed, I was flexible with holidays and I always covered Christmas and New Year’s Eve.

My first boss basically said “don’t even think about it. You more than cover for it”. He knew it and the team knew it and no-one minded at all.

Then we got a new boss. The second time it happened she gave me a formal warning. Soon changed her tune when i started exactly my hours and only my hours, but by then her pickiness in that and other stuff had done so much damage that everyone on the team was job hunting.

Most of us ended up back working for our old boss in his new place.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Often a failure in the ability of a manager to put meaningful metrics of performance in place - if it’s a repetitive pattern then you have a chat about any reason - maybe childcare and transport conspiring to make it impossible for them to be on time - in which case - offer an alternative - like a later start time or flexible working - but the title of this thread could just have easily read ‘ my boss is a pathetic underachiever who has no concept of the real value of staff’. Just my 2p "

I agree. I've worked with people who are always there really early because they're chatterboxes and come in early to be social which is fine but that often continues through the day. They stop every hour to spend 20 minutes making tea and chatting yet the person who was a few minutes late in but works solidly through the day is the one told off. Madness.

over a year ago

Cal

But it does require a decent transport infrastructure. The joys of a Sunday service timetable working in a 24/7 city.

You set off on time to arrive on time to start work on time. It's not rocket science. "

You don't work Sundays then?

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"

MORE..... We are all late once in a while and no one would take any notice.

"

You haven't met my old boss . Reasons I was late over a period of 4 years that I was still given grief for include:

A severe weather warning for snow caused absolute chaos. I still attempted my nearly 30 mile commute but was quite late getting in. I still got grief even though the policy even says we won't be penalised for being late due to severe weather incidents.

I got trapped on a closed motorway because a lorry with gas cylinders on the back was on fire.

A lorry went through the mersey tunnel and brought the cladding down from the wall on the front of my car and caved in my bonnet on my way to work.

over a year ago

Just abuse of authority in my opinion

By *odgerMooreMan
over a year ago

Carlisle

"Often a failure in the ability of a manager to put meaningful metrics of performance in place - if it’s a repetitive pattern then you have a chat about any reason - maybe childcare and transport conspiring to make it impossible for them to be on time - in which case - offer an alternative - like a later start time or flexible working - but the title of this thread could just have easily read ‘ my boss is a pathetic underachiever who has no concept of the real value of staff’. Just my 2p

I agree. I've worked with people who are always there really early because they're chatterboxes and come in early to be social which is fine but that often continues through the day. They stop every hour to spend 20 minutes making tea and chatting yet the person who was a few minutes late in but works solidly through the day is the one told off. Madness. "

Exactly this

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Cal

You set off on time to arrive on time to start work on time. It's not rocket science.

You don't work Sundays then? "

I've worked Sundays. Kind of bizarre to take a job that has fixed start times if you're not able to actually fulfil that part of your contract. I'd imagine it's quite rare to find an employer for whom start time is important and then say "I'll turn up when I can get here boss"

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

chichester

I used to get in 10 min before work start , just so I could get my pc switched on and desk ready. Boss used to rage at me for not coming in 30 min earlier like many others did.

My response was simply you pay me for 9-6 and 1 hour for lunch. That is what is you get. He hated it I wouldn’t do unpaid late nights twice a week and work some lunch hour to work harder If a slow day , plus for team comrade lol.

Again I illuminated to him that what he likes is muppets kissing his whip through fear of the job . I did my after hours calls on way home on mobile or in a pub / bar with clients.

My boss hated me that I gave zero fucks about the company as such because in the industry people bought people not the company .. it’s amazing the power fear of job and confidence has over people.

In the end i left as we would be arguing most days so it was getting dull and wasting my precious time. I took about 60% of his client base with me ontop of my own client base I brought in myself prior as I set up my own company again .

Time keeping is about balance and fairness not like so many firms in London want glorified 5lave Labour out of staff with shitty attitude work cultures .

over a year ago

With the way the transport system is (and not looking to get any better soon) Employers need to be a bit more flexible with clocking in and out times.

Most people will always make up the time during lunchbreaks and/or after work.

By *osey WalesMan
over a year ago

Surrey

"I've had this attitude directed towards me. I responded by getting to the office and not doing a damn thing until my start time comes around, including switching on my computer. I'll go to lunch exactly when I'm supposed to, even if I'm in the middle of something, and take my allotted time to the minute. Then I stop everything at the end of the day the minute I am allowed to.

If they aren't going to have any flexibility then neither am I. I can be an irritating person when I want to be. They soon realised that they got more out of me when we were both flexible. It's not as if being two minutes late occasionally is taking the piss. "

Been there and done exactly the same thing.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

"Our place docks 15 minutes if you're more than 3 minutes late.

I've worked 10 minutes after my finish time and not been paid for it."

I’d literally drop whatever I was doing the second it hit home time and tell them I don’t work for free if that’s how they operate

By *lueFireCouple
over a year ago

just somewhere around here

Standard practice

By *uminsiderMKMan
over a year ago

St Austell

Similar to the last place where I worked back when I had a 'proper job'...

....if you clocked-in just one minute late, you lost 15 mins - and didn't get paid for working past the finish time unless it was authorised by a team leader/shift manager...

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"My old commute to work was 75 miles on the M3 and M25, always left what I felt was a reasonable amount of extra time for unforeseens.

I was always in the office early, except for over a 2 week period I was late in 3 times due to accidents, always made up the time by working through lunch or staying late.

I apologised, pointed out the hazards of the M3 and M25 and that I'd made up any lost time, and often more than what I "owed"

He lost his shit and pointed out in no uncertain fashion that my hours were 8 to 5. I tried reason, it fell on deaf ears.

Home.

Winston"

Lovely!

I had a nice one in my last job, got in one morning to find myself copied on an email to one of our directors, flagging the fact that I was routinely sauntering in the door 20 minutes late each day. This came from a manager in another area, nothing to do with me or in role.

My reply was simple. I wasn’t 20 minutes late, I was 10 minutes early. Different team, different hours.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Just abuse of authority in my opinion "

Who knows … probably a bit more than it than the basic headline. May have been discussions, encouragement, warnings, people taking the piss. Easier to blame the managers without knowing any of the details though

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Simple don’t be late

I’ve never been late in fact I’m always early "

Agreed. I hate having to fire people , it’s horrible but if they cannot get to work on time (regularly) it is unlikely they are any good at anything else and they need to go.

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

If you can’t make it on time for the job you get paid to do ( unless a very valid reason) then yes you deserve some sort of penalty"

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"My old commute to work was 75 miles on the M3 and M25, always left what I felt was a reasonable amount of extra time for unforeseens.

Home.

Winston

Lovely!

I had a nice one in my last job, got in one morning to find myself copied on an email to one of our directors, flagging the fact that I was routinely sauntering in the door 20 minutes late each day. This came from a manager in another area, nothing to do with me or in role.

My reply was simple. I wasn’t 20 minutes late, I was 10 minutes early. Different team, different hours.

"

Bloody busy body.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Simple don’t be late

I’ve never been late in fact I’m always early

Agreed. I hate having to fire people , it’s horrible but if they cannot get to work on time (regularly) it is unlikely they are any good at anything else and they need to go.

"

I had a guy who worked for me and came in late most days, blaming the trains.

One day I dragged him into the office and said look, I’m not going to challenge you about being late this morning, as there may well have been a problem with your train, but there is simply no way that there are problems with your train 4 days a week, other people in the team come in on the same line and get here in time every day, so how about just getting an earlier train, fair enough? Shook hands. Never late again. Knew he couldn’t bullshit me.

By *ackandtheunicornCouple
over a year ago

liverpool

Penny wise and pound foolish springs to mind in this case.

Being that anal about your employes work time never ends well.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

Home.

Winston

Lovely!

Bloody busy body. "

Oh she was horrible. Loved sticking her nose in and regularity got kicked back like in this case.

She was also queen of the appraisal process, the poor bastards who worked for her had to sit through 2 hours of shit.

over a year ago

Home.

Winston"

Ha brilliant! Twats

over a year ago

Home.

Winston

Ha brilliant! Twats"

Same boss....... you have a doctors appointment, do you have a confirmation of that I can see?

Here's the text reminder from the surgery.

You have a hospital appointment for an operation, do you have confirmation of that?

Yup, give me 5 minutes to redact it and I'll mail it over?

Why do you want to redact it?

Because why I'm going to hospital has fuck all to do with you.

Oddly enough, I don't work there anymore.

I left 2 weeks after finishing my 6 month probation period. That cost them £8,000 in agency fees, which my director pointed out when I handed in my notice.

Should have listened when I told you I was being treated like a fucking 5 year old.

Winston

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Penny wise and pound foolish springs to mind in this case.

Being that anal about your employes work time never ends well."

Kind of depends on the job doesn't it? If you've got appointments at 9 but don't get to work for 9 then it doesn't work very well. If your job is not time sensitive then sure.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Home.

Winston

Lovely!

Bloody busy body.

Oh she was horrible. Loved sticking her nose in and regularity got kicked back like in this case.

She was also queen of the appraisal process, the poor bastards who worked for her had to sit through 2 hours of shit. "

Yeah as much as I imagine it was annoying I bet you were pleased she wasn't your boss.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Sounds like a very outdated and discredited style of human resources failure

over a year ago

Kind of depends on the job doesn't it? If you've got appointments at 9 but don't get to work for 9 then it doesn't work very well. If your job is not time sensitive then sure. "

I get in at 8 and have appointments at 9.

The train breaks down en route or there's an accident on the motorway that blocks every lane.

What's your answer?

Winston

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Kind of depends on the job doesn't it? If you've got appointments at 9 but don't get to work for 9 then it doesn't work very well. If your job is not time sensitive then sure.

The train breaks down en route or there's an accident on the motorway that blocks every lane.

What's your answer?

Winston "

If it causes more than an hours delay then you're going to be unavoidably late. Nothing you can do is there other than let your appointments know and possibly rearrange. Presumably the 3 lane motorway closure and train breakdown don't happen on the same day?

over a year ago

Home.

Winston

Ha brilliant! Twats

Same boss....... you have a doctors appointment, do you have a confirmation of that I can see?

Here's the text reminder from the surgery.

You have a hospital appointment for an operation, do you have confirmation of that?

Yup, give me 5 minutes to redact it and I'll mail it over?

Why do you want to redact it?

Because why I'm going to hospital has fuck all to do with you.

Oddly enough, I don't work there anymore.

I left 2 weeks after finishing my 6 month probation period. That cost them £8,000 in agency fees, which my director pointed out when I handed in my notice.

Should have listened when I told you I was being treated like a fucking 5 year old.

Winston"

Ha 8 grand!! Fuckers.

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

What's your answer?

Winston

If it causes more than an hours delay then you're going to be unavoidably late. Nothing you can do is there other than let your appointments know and possibly rearrange. Presumably the 3 lane motorway closure and train breakdown don't happen on the same day? "

Or multiple times in the same week.

There will always be exceptional events that stop you getting where you need to be when you need to be there.

These days, as soon as you realise you'll be late for your meeting, you can always let them know you'll be late and offer to rearrange.

As long as you're not taking the Michael there should be some tolerance

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Kind of depends on the job doesn't it? If you've got appointments at 9 but don't get to work for 9 then it doesn't work very well. If your job is not time sensitive then sure. "

My teachers have to be there to teach (and almost always are) but if someone is trespassing at Piccadilly or the M6 is closed due to an RTA, some of them might be (unavoidably) late, or even absent having to return to WFH. The good news is the team is collegiate and helps each other out with cover. Give and take. The take-takers learn very quickly how it works.

over a year ago

100 employees all 3mins late working a 5 day week Less 20 days holiday per year,equals a loss of over 1000 hrs per year

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

"100 employees all 3mins late working a 5 day week Less 20 days holiday per year,equals a loss of over 1000 hrs per year"

Unless the 100 employees all make up the 3 minutes or more at the end of the day.

over a year ago

"100 employees all 3mins late working a 5 day week Less 20 days holiday per year,equals a loss of over 1000 hrs per year

Unless the 100 employees all make up the 3 minutes or more at the end of the day. "

Depends what happened in those 3 minutes. Was they all trying to clock in?

Did the employer demonstrate a duty of care as to why 100 of their employees didn't arrive for work?

over a year ago

"100 employees all 3 mins late working a 5 day week Less 20 days holiday per year,equals a loss of over 1000 hrs per year"

Employers who think exactly like this struggle to maintain a staff of 100.

If 100 employees start on time and work 3 minutes after time each day, he owes his staff 1000 hours pay each year.

Winston

By *handlerMonicaCouple
over a year ago

Leicester

I work in IT (remotely, as do all my team. May or may not be relevant). We work on the basis that you will only ever be productive for ~75% of your working day, because of tea breaks, toilet breaks, dealing with your online shopping order turning up, whole host of things. As long as you are meeting reasonable targets, and are prepared to step up on the odd occasion where a bit of extra work is needed, then we have no desire to be on top of timekeeping. Flexibility definitely works both ways. We treat our staff as adults, and they act the same way, it's win-win and a no-brainer as far as we are concerned

By *handlerMonicaCouple
over a year ago

Leicester

"100 employees all 3 mins late working a 5 day week Less 20 days holiday per year,equals a loss of over 1000 hrs per year

If 100 employees start on time and work 3 minutes after time each day, he owes his staff 1000 hours pay each year.

Winston

"

So true

By *rhugesMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

I have flexitime it's great

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

Home.

Winston

Lovely!

Bloody busy body.

She was also queen of the appraisal process, the poor bastards who worked for her had to sit through 2 hours of shit.

Yeah as much as I imagine it was annoying I bet you were pleased she wasn't your boss. "

I could not, and would not, have worked for her.

over a year ago

"100 employees all 3 mins late working a 5 day week Less 20 days holiday per year,equals a loss of over 1000 hrs per year

Winston

So true"

Boss - You all owe me 1000 hours wages I paid and you didn't work.

Staff - You owe us 1000 hours wages for when we worked and you didn't pay us.

The boss is often on more swings than the staff are roundabouts.

Winston

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"100 employees all 3mins late working a 5 day week Less 20 days holiday per year,equals a loss of over 1000 hrs per year"

You can't add individual minutes from exactly the same time frame together to create a length of time.

The time lost was 3 minutes.

By *eneralKenobiMan
over a year ago

North Angus

We’ve a three minute leeway for being late then are docked 15 minutes if we’re 4 minutes late. It’s not happened in a long time though

Post new Message to Thread