Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Giggles at Remembrance Day

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I know it wasnt very respectful to giggle at todays Remembrance day parade but when they announced the name of a lady signing a covenant we just couldnt help it .

.........Anita Muff .........

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

oh really?

like hugh jazz

over a year ago

Or Samantha's dad Hugh Janus

over a year ago

ivana tinkle

over a year ago

Phil McCraken?

over a year ago

"Phil McCraken?"

here you go sue.

amanda hugnkiss

over a year ago

You're right. It was very disrespectful.

over a year ago

"Phil McCraken?

here you go sue.

amanda hugnkiss"

this was a real lady tho .......

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"I know it wasnt very respectful to giggle at todays Remembrance day parade but when they announced the name of a lady signing a covenant we just couldnt help it .

.........Anita Muff ......... "

as long as you didnt point at her and laugh i dont see where the disrespect comes into it.

over a year ago

"I know it wasnt very respectful to giggle at todays Remembrance day parade but when they announced the name of a lady signing a covenant we just couldnt help it .

as long as you didnt point at her and laugh i dont see where the disrespect comes into it."

it was funny because every one heard the name and kept quiet , then a couple of ladies started giggling which just set everyone off like a stack of falling dominoes .......

over a year ago

as long as you didnt point at her and laugh i dont see where the disrespect comes into it."

oh so thats what you would have done!

naughty gal. you need paddling

over a year ago

Joanne koften

over a year ago

"Joanne koften"

over a year ago

as long as you didnt point at her and laugh i dont see where the disrespect comes into it.

it was funny because every one heard the name and kept quiet , then a couple of ladies started giggling which just set everyone off like a stack of falling dominoes ......."

Sounds hilarious. How did the war veterans take it?

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

it was funny because every one heard the name and kept quiet , then a couple of ladies started giggling which just set everyone off like a stack of falling dominoes ......."

Everyone?.....even the many retired folk you always see at rememberance services....really?

over a year ago

I would have chuckled. I think the salt of the earth British soldiers you were remembering would have chuckled too.

over a year ago

i was in the midst of a lot of service guys in uniform and some vets and yes we were all chuckling ...i take my part in the ceremony most seriously ever year so i really dont want to be disrespectful .

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I just find it a strange subject to bring up on a day such as today, doesn't sound respectful to me in the slightest.

Opportunist maybe, respectful....not in my book.

over a year ago

"I just find it a strange subject to bring up on a day such as today, doesn't sound respectful to me in the slightest.

Opportunist maybe, respectful....not in my book."

over a year ago

evesham

"I would have chuckled. I think the salt of the earth British soldiers you were remembering would have chuckled too. "

I'd go with this. Probably going to get shot down for this but sometimes people go too over the top with the respect for your elders/soldiers/anyone less fortunate thing.

Surely the important thing us that the op was there for the service, taking part in it, ok so she had a little titter at something that most of us would find amusing any other day...who says remembrance has to be a sad thing?

over a year ago

evesham

I will also add, before I go to work, that it is people who bleat on about how respectful we should be and how we must act about certain things that put me off outwardly displaying my respect. I don't want to be one of those pushing people to do things a certain way or suggesting that because I don't like a picture on facebook I am a heartless individual etc

over a year ago

"i was in the midst of a lot of service guys in uniform and some vets and yes we were all chuckling ...i take my part in the ceremony most seriously ever year so i really dont want to be disrespectful ."

well at least you take part alot of people dont even bother to do that xx

over a year ago

"I would have chuckled. I think the salt of the earth British soldiers you were remembering would have chuckled too.

I'd go with this. Probably going to get shot down for this but sometimes people go too over the top with the respect for your elders/soldiers/anyone less fortunate thing.

Surely the important thing us that the op was there for the service, taking part in it, ok so she had a little titter at something that most of us would find amusing any other day...who says remembrance has to be a sad thing? "

Well said.

over a year ago

There's too many people that get offended on other peoples behalf.

Who here hasn't laughed at an awkward moment?

The armed forces are renouned for making jokes in certain situations.

Someone giggled at a funny name while the proceedings happened, not set fire to the poppies, which IS offencive.

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"There's too many people that get offended on other peoples behalf.

Who here hasn't laughed at an awkward moment?

The armed forces are renouned for making jokes in certain situations.

Someone giggled at a funny name while the proceedings happened, not set fire to the poppies, which IS offencive."

By *obsrocketMan
over a year ago

Loughborough

I think it will be a Remembrance Sunday that many will remember who attended with you. I know myself whilst I like to show my respect I would have giggled too

over a year ago

Believe me squaddies have a hell of a sense of humour ,I was one for 11yrs most ( and I do meen most ) are there because its a parade and a part one order to be there. I remember the friends I lost every single day not once a year . If I'd been there an heard that I'd have been crying with laughter .

It's great that we remember and have a special day but the wars keep happening and our guys are still losing their lives , now that's sad !

over a year ago

it was funny because every one heard the name and kept quiet , then a couple of ladies started giggling which just set everyone off like a stack of falling dominoes .......

Everyone?.....even the many retired folk you always see at rememberance services....really?

"

Indeed. As most of the coffin dodgers were probably stone deaf they wouldn't have registered anything at all.

over a year ago

" I will also add, before I go to work, that it is people who bleat on about how respectful we should be and how we must act about certain things that put me off outwardly displaying my respect. I don't want to be one of those pushing people to do things a certain way or suggesting that because I don't like a picture on facebook I am a heartless individual etc "

Yes all this sanctimoniousness is risible, if not downright contemptible.

over a year ago

"Believe me squaddies have a hell of a sense of humour ,I was one for 11yrs most ( and I do meen most ) are there because its a parade and a part one order to be there. I remember the friends I lost every single day not once a year . If I'd been there an heard that I'd have been crying with laughter .

It's great that we remember and have a special day but the wars keep happening and our guys are still losing their lives , now that's sad ! "

Well don't join armies then!!

over a year ago

Bit late giving my tuppneyworth on this, but here goes...

No, I don't think it was disrespectful. There are some things in life which, no matter how sombre or serious the events to which they are attached, are just plain funny.

As far as anything connected with Remembrance Day is concerned, I always think the yardstick as to whether any comment or action (or laughing) is offensive or disrespectful is this... Ask yourself if any of those men and women who lie in a war grave around the World would find it funny? Most of them would have laughed along with you... because THEY thought it was important enough to give YOU the opportunity to laugh in freedom...

Pork

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Believe me squaddies have a hell of a sense of humour ,I was one for 11yrs most ( and I do meen most ) are there because its a parade and a part one order to be there. I remember the friends I lost every single day not once a year . If I'd been there an heard that I'd have been crying with laughter .

"

ditto if i'm honest...

the sense of humour in the military is far more cutting and less pc than that of 'civvy street' least it was when i was in..

have been in pretty iffy situations where humour has been used by someone, which unless you had been there and were in the service with that mindset you may have found innapropriate and surprising..

its the same with the emergency services, its a different type of humour which does happen...

over a year ago

To be honest, I think anyone in or ex military would be a bit pissed off that someone took it upon themselves to assume that they have not got the good sense to laugh at this. Any military person would have been struggling not to crack up. It's the same as people who assume that you cannot make jokes about disabled people, because they assume that the disabled cannot understand humour or come back with a pithy retort. That is more insulting than a joke could ever be.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I think what has been missed here is that many of those who attend rememberence services are not ex military personnel but relatives of those who have been lost in conflict.

Whilst I fully understand and appreciate that ex military personnel have a particular sense of humour (god knows they must need it at times), it's worth remembering that families of those lost also attend these services.

My family have been going for many years to show our respect and we have NEVER heard giggling at any service we have attended....and wouldn't expect to.

over a year ago

Just looking around and seeing the pictures of the idiot in Bristol riding a skateboard dressed as a devil, f*cking pratt springs to mind xx

over a year ago

All I can add to this thread is, thank all those who fought and fight so we can have freedom of speech, whether we do it with a smile, giggle or peaceful respect.

over a year ago

evesham

"Just looking around and seeing the pictures of the idiot in Bristol riding a skateboard dressed as a devil, f*cking pratt springs to mind xx"

Was that during a parade then?

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Just looking around and seeing the pictures of the idiot in Bristol riding a skateboard dressed as a devil, f*cking pratt springs to mind xx

Was that during a parade then? "

Yes....it happened in Bristol

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

was at the villa game on the weekend and the minutes silence was near perfect apart from a few man utd fans who talked through it

guess thats there free right to do so thanks to those who fought

you would have thought 60 seconds wasnt long to keep quiet though

Post new Message to Thread