Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Noor Inayat Khan

Jump to newest

By *icketysplits OP   Woman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I knew about Violette Szabo and Odette Sansom but I'd never heard of Noor Inayat Khan before today.

What a marvellous woman: brought up a pacifist but so appalled by the Nazis that she joined the WAAF and became the first female radio operator deployed in France.

Captured, tortured, escaped, recaptured and sent to Dachau where she was shot.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

indeed a great lady x

By *umsuckMan
over a year ago

Gateshead

I know one thing for sure. I wouldn't have the courage to do any of the things those marvelous women did!

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

i thought i had logged on in a foreign tongue

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

i had heard of violette szabo after seeing the b/w film carve her name with pride ,

i imagine there are many women who died doing things for the war effort that many men would have feared to do.

thanks to them and those who lost there lives in all wars , we now have the right to live and choose how we live our lives .

over a year ago

"i had heard of violette szabo after seeing the b/w film carve her name with pride ,

i imagine there are many women who died doing things for the war effort that many men would have feared to do.

thanks to them and those who lost there lives in all wars , we now have the right to live and choose how we live our lives ."

I love Carve Her Name With Pride. Hearing about Noor Khan today I wondered why her story has never been told before.

The women at Bletchley, those that formed the Land Army, those that worked the munitions factories none of it looks heroic and front line but it really was.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I met this lady and had no idea of her heroic past....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311699/Tragedy-WWII-spy-Eileen-Nearne-escaped-Gestapo-died-alone.html

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

their average time before capture was about 6 weeks, male or female these people were brave indeed..

to know that others before you had been taken and yet to still get in the plane..

heroic..

over a year ago

"I met this lady and had no idea of her heroic past....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311699/Tragedy-WWII-spy-Eileen-Nearne-escaped-Gestapo-died-alone.html"

The heroic ones don't beat their own drum.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I met this lady and had no idea of her heroic past....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311699/Tragedy-WWII-spy-Eileen-Nearne-escaped-Gestapo-died-alone.html

The heroic ones don't beat their own drum."

saw a lady inter_iewed on the BBC who worked at Bletchley at that time..

the inter_iewer asked her which department she was in, she just looked at him and said something like 'we wont discuss that'..

her family never knew for 60+ yrs..

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

its unfortunate that today many young people will only read of celebs , and how they only wanted to be celebs ,

as a young man my grandfather told me and all his family ,

being able to read is one of the greatest things you can do, you can learn from history,science and fiction your imagination will form all sorts of pictures in your mind .and you will learn to know right from wrong!!

those were not his exact words it was 40 yrs ago but the meaning was same .if young people read of the ladies in the forum instead of jordan and spice and the bloddy kardashians , maybe they would apreciate life more

Post new Message to Thread