Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Something I don't understand

Jump to newest

By *ue care and attention OP   Woman
over a year ago

birmingham

I've read many threads on here asking who plays bareback and noticed that some that do say they get checked regularly. Entirely their choice of course.

What I don't understand it why? Surely if you continue to bareback, it doesn't matter how often you get tested? What purpose does it serve as testing is no prevention?

Also, if you contracted and STD, how would you know which partner it came from?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I thought this was gonna be a thread about Chinese writing !

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I've read many threads on here asking who plays bareback and noticed that some that do say they get checked regularly. Entirely their choice of course.

What I don't understand it why? Surely if you continue to bareback, it doesn't matter how often you get tested? What purpose does it serve as testing is no prevention?

Also, if you contracted and STD, how would you know which partner it came from?"

This is a minefield i would have thought, be interested in seeing what answers people give though.

over a year ago

In the back of your mind, you just know it's a risk, a lot of gals don't insist on it, it's like "put something on the end of it? up to you" and it is!

over a year ago

birmingham

"In the back of your mind, you just know it's a risk, a lot of gals don't insist on it, it's like "put something on the end of it? up to you" and it is!

"

You missed the point of the thread, I wasn't questioning bareback but why people get tested if they play bareback

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

I guess if they do catch something at least they will know to stop playing and prevent passing it on

over a year ago

"In the back of your mind, you just know it's a risk, a lot of gals don't insist on it, it's like "put something on the end of it? up to you" and it is!

You missed the point of the thread, I wasn't questioning bareback but why people get tested if they play bareback"

why do you get tested if you don't?

Cali

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

You missed the point of the thread, I wasn't questioning bareback but why people get tested if they play bareback"

I have been no saint in the past so I have always got tested to prevent other people catching something if I had got something..

over a year ago

How would you be sure any tests had been done, and, how do you know they would be honest should a STD be contracted. I guess people claim to be tested to put prospective partners at ease, does it, not really.

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

Testing is no prevention but if someone does contract something then they can get treatment and any partners since the previous all clear can be notified.

Would you feel happy to discover that someone who had contracted something had simply got treated but had not informed any they could?

Consider chlamydia which is easily treated but is practically symptomless in both men and women and can be transmitted by seminal fluid transfer (eg on finger tips). But left untreated can cause pelvic inflammatory disease and female infertility.

At least regular check ups can contain outbreaks - don't forget that public health regulations kick in for some infections and they will insist on contacting people.

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"How would you be sure any tests had been done, and, how do you know they would be honest should a STD be contracted. I guess people claim to be tested to put prospective partners at ease, does it, not really."

I don't care about putting other peoples minds at ease, I get tested to put my mind at ease.

over a year ago

"I've read many threads on here asking who plays bareback and noticed that some that do say they get checked regularly. Entirely their choice of course.

Also, if you contracted and STD, how would you know which partner it came from?"

Would it matter where it came from so long as you got it treated and minimised how far it spread afterwards? Prevention may be better than cure, but cure is still needed when something is caught!

And shouldn't the same rule apply if playing safe...I always use condoms but have been caught once with Chlamydia. Long time ago and all gone now. I made sure all my meets knew so they could also get tested, but by your reasoning as I could get it again in the future as I am having sex (although as safe as possible) it is pointless to continue testing?!

over a year ago

birmingham

"I guess if they do catch something at least they will know to stop playing and prevent passing it on "

But if they get tested too soon, some STDs won't show up and if they don't go regularly they chances are they may already have passed it on?

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I am going for me fanny check tomorrow...

over a year ago

Everyone should get themselves tested, no matter how they play. Its fair, its responsible an its the right thing to do - for yourself and those with whom you play.

As for how people choose to play - that's their business and the business of those with whom they play.

I would have thought all of this was common sense. But what do I know?

over a year ago

"I guess if they do catch something at least they will know to stop playing and prevent passing it on

But if they get tested too soon, some STDs won't show up and if they don't go regularly they chances are they may already have passed it on?"

No difference if you play safe though!

over a year ago

birmingham

Would it matter where it came from so long as you got it treated and minimised how far it spread afterwards? Prevention may be better than cure, but cure is still needed when something is caught!

And shouldn't the same rule apply if playing safe...I always use condoms but have been caught once with Chlamydia. Long time ago and all gone now. I made sure all my meets knew so they could also get tested, but by your reasoning as I could get it again in the future as I am having sex (although as safe as possible) it is pointless to continue testing?! "

Why would it be pointless, you're not playing bareback are you?

I don't play bareback either but still get tested, the frequency depends on how much I have played.

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"I guess if they do catch something at least they will know to stop playing and prevent passing it on

But if they get tested too soon, some STDs won't show up and if they don't go regularly they chances are they may already have passed it on?"

Very true. I am not defending it, just giving my opinion on what they are probably thinking.

over a year ago

birmingham

But if they get tested too soon, some STDs won't show up and if they don't go regularly they chances are they may already have passed it on?

No difference if you play safe though!"

We're discussing those that play bareback though?

over a year ago

Its a subject you can ask about and rarely will you get an honest serious answer. Many who do resort to humour or deflection as they are uncomfortable about the subject of barebacking and testing being brought up. I am never sure if its that they do not like to admit publicly to playing bareback or the fact they dont get tested as often as they should or claim they do.

The reality is its a form of Russian roulette as I see it and sooner or later you are going to put a loaded chamber to their temple.

over a year ago

I get tested because if I were to catch something then I could start treatment sooner rather than later.

also it means that I could stop play if I needed to. playing with multiple partners even with protection is still risky. so that's why I asked why do people who play safer get tested

Cali

over a year ago

And shouldn't the same rule apply if playing safe...I always use condoms but have been caught once with Chlamydia. Long time ago and all gone now. I made sure all my meets knew so they could also get tested, but by your reasoning as I could get it again in the future as I am having sex (although as safe as possible) it is pointless to continue testing?!

I don't play bareback either but still get tested, the frequency depends on how much I have played. "

No I don't play bareback, but that doesn't make me immune to STD's. I have sex therefore there is a risk of me contracting an STI...admittedly it is reduced if I play safe but risk is still risk. I don't understand why it would be pointless to get tested if you play bareback...if anything it would be more important due to the increased risk surely?!

over a year ago

if I've played bare apart from with a regular partner then I do not play with anyone till I've had an all clear. sometimes means waiting 3 months to play.

Cali

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

I am a sexually active adult and I am not in a monogamous, trusting, mutually respectful relationship.

Ergo I get regular check ups.

I even did it when I was in a monogamous relationship and had to break the news to my then boyf that he had to speak to his ex about chlamydia. And since I had been tested before we stopped using condoms I was the only one who could definitively claim that I didn't start it!!

Which pretty much killed a good relationship...

over a year ago

No difference if you play safe though!

We're discussing those that play bareback though?"

But I don't understand why there would be a difference in the need for testing whether playing bare or with condoms, dental dams & gloved hands for every single second of play! Risk is there as soon as you start to have sex so testing should be done routinely for the health of whoever is playing and to reduce the spread of the infection regardless of how someone plays surely?

over a year ago

birmingham

I don't play bareback either but still get tested, the frequency depends on how much I have played.

No I don't play bareback, but that doesn't make me immune to STD's. I have sex therefore there is a risk of me contracting an STI...admittedly it is reduced if I play safe but risk is still risk. I don't understand why it would be pointless to get tested if you play bareback...if anything it would be more important due to the increased risk surely?!"

My point being do they rely on testing to keep them safe?

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

No I don't play bareback, but that doesn't make me immune to STD's. I have sex therefore there is a risk of me contracting an STI...admittedly it is reduced if I play safe but risk is still risk. I don't understand why it would be pointless to get tested if you play bareback...if anything it would be more important due to the increased risk surely?!

My point being do they rely on testing to keep them safe?"

No. They choose to take a calculated risk.

over a year ago

"

My point being do they rely on testing to keep them safe?"

that's like saying do you rely on condoms to keep your safe. testing doesn't keep you safe. just informed . testing keeps others safe.

over a year ago

birmingham

On to my next point...would you be inclined to play with someone who played bareback but reassured you they got tested regularly?

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Do you know what i dont understand, how every woman isnt at least chlomydia tested. You go to the nurse here and you get tested every bloody time they go downstairs for something. Ive said before i dont go to a GUM clinic cause we dont have one here, so my nurse does my testing. I go three times a year, well i ring and ask before hand if she will test me if im going for something else. But if i have to have an internal or smear or anything even between those times i still get automatic tested for chlymidia so i just assumed its the same for every woman

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"

that's like saying do you rely on condoms to keep your safe. testing doesn't keep you safe. just informed . testing keeps others safe."

And your future health.

Syphilis is on the increase again. All it takes to treat is a course of antibiotics.

But if your brain has already turned to swiss cheese due to tertiary syphilis from never getting tested till you start behaving strangely...

over a year ago

"

that's like saying do you rely on condoms to keep your safe. testing doesn't keep you safe. just informed . testing keeps others safe."

Was trying to think how to put that!!

If you use condoms you're just keeping yourself safer than if you play bare...the only safe sex is no sex so we all use testing as a back up.

over a year ago

"On to my next point...would you be inclined to play with someone who played bareback but reassured you they got tested regularly? "

would you believe someone that told you they were clean. or play safe anyway. I assume everyone is lying to me.

and make my own choices.

over a year ago

birmingham

"On to my next point...would you be inclined to play with someone who played bareback but reassured you they got tested regularly?

would you believe someone that told you they were clean. or play safe anyway. I assume everyone is lying to me.

and make my own choices. "

Never in a million...that's my point. Why would they assume you would trust them just because they were tested. And who asks to see the proof

over a year ago

I don't get tested to please others. I go bare if I make the choice to do so. but I choose mostly to not even have safe sex but oral only.

over a year ago

"On to my next point...would you be inclined to play with someone who played bareback but reassured you they got tested regularly?

and make my own choices.

Never in a million...that's my point. Why would they assume you would trust them just because they were tested. And who asks to see the proof"

By your own admission, a clean test isn't a guarantee of being clean due to the incubation period for any illnesses so although I can show the text to say I was clean last time I was tested that still isn't confirmation I am clean, just that I was a few weeks before my last test! I wouldn't 'trust' anyone was completely STI free, whether playing bare or with protection so I use protection to reduce the risk regardless of the level of trust and have regular tests to ensure nothing has slipped through. I don't think anyone who plays bare assumes others will trust their sexual health status...they just choose to take a greater risk in the way they play and play with those who have a similar frame of mind. The danger in my eyes comes from those who think they are invincible and that they'll never catch anything regardless of how they play so never get tested as they don't think they need too...they to me are more scary than someone who plays bareback but accepts there is an increased risk and take steps to reduce the risk they impose to others

over a year ago

birmingham

Goldi. I agree with most of what you're saying but there are many profiles that state they play bb but add a line about being tested regularly as if they expect that will reassure any potential meets. My whole point is about why they think testing ensures they are std free.

over a year ago

"Goldi. I agree with most of what you're saying but there are many profiles that state they play bb but add a line about being tested regularly as if they expect that will reassure any potential meets. My whole point is about why they think testing ensures they are std free. "

do you think that your clean because you are tested?

your trying to guess why people put things on their profiles. to me if I choose to play with anyone. either bare or safe. it's up to me to be responsible for my health.

Cali

over a year ago

birmingham

"Goldi. I agree with most of what you're saying but there are many profiles that state they play bb but add a line about being tested regularly as if they expect that will reassure any potential meets. My whole point is about why they think testing ensures they are std free.

do you think that your clean because you are tested?

It's not about me Cali. I trust my self to ensure my own safety. I don't trust others and never will.

your trying to guess why people put things on their profiles. to me if I choose to play with anyone. either bare or safe. it's up to me to be responsible for my health.

Cali"

over a year ago

"Goldi. I agree with most of what you're saying but there are many profiles that state they play bb but add a line about being tested regularly as if they expect that will reassure any potential meets. My whole point is about why they think testing ensures they are std free. "

Who's to say that is what they think though? Regular testing is a way of reducing future risk of spreading anything but we all take a risk by swinging, some just take more than others. The only thing I can say is that having regular testing, whether playing bare or safer, shows someone has taken the risk seriously and isn't blasé about the way they choose to play so in a way it is a reassurance that although they play bare, they understand that they aren't indestructible.

I've had men ask me to play bare because they haven't met anyone since their last test etc and they've been surprised when I've said no, but firstly why should I trust that and secondly unless I've abstained for the relevant lengths of times for my testing who's to say I am clean! All you can do is play in a way that you feel safe and if you feel that bareback is taking an unnecessary risk then don't play with those who do it x

over a year ago

There are people who like to bareback and feel that getting themselves tested frequently is a good way of making themselves immune/risk free of catching something nasty. Getting tested and having any needed treatment is fine, BUT....

....whilst there are no cures for certain sexually transmitted diseases, doesn't it make sense to play the 'safest way'?

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I dont understand how getting tested is a guarantee or assurance. The test result is only as good as the last day of their activity so if they have played since the test... the test result is of no relevance at all... Puzzles me!

Post new Message to Thread