Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Forums nhs direct

Jump to newest

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

What do you put on a burn, i just lost the plot and forgot how to turn the oven on, stuck my hand in it and caught it on the side so all down my thumb is burnt. Ive just had it under the cold tap but its throbbing

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Run under cold tap for 15 to 30 mins as burns can continue to damage tissue x

over a year ago

If it's a minor burn then Acriflex is great if you have any,

Otherwise something cooling - plain yoghurt for example ....

over a year ago

Ouch. Assuming it's a superficial burn and doesn't need A and E, the best remedy is cold water, and then more cold water until it hurts. Then even more cold water

over a year ago

"Ouch. Assuming it's a superficial burn and doesn't need A and E, the best remedy is cold water, and then more cold water until it hurts. Then even more cold water "

Yes it is superficial i did run it under cold water for ages actually the blister is coming up now and its not as painful, but it doesnt half smart when you do it lol

By * n zCouple
over a year ago

leamington spa

Lavender essential oil is great for minor burns, ( once you've run under the cold tap ) it seems to heal it up quick without scaring

over a year ago

sudocreme is good for minor burns

By *exki11enWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

Aloe vera if you have some and a couple of paracetamol.

By *ercedes62Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

As others have said run under a cold tap and then make a paste from Bicarb of Soda and apply to the burn area and leave to dry. It will generally stop the blistering.

This is of course for a minor burn or Aloe works well.

over a year ago

A slice of raw onion on the burn is said to help stop the stinging.

over a year ago

"Aloe vera if you have some and a couple of paracetamol."

I have several plants and use the gel straight from the leaves. Useful for all sorts of things.

They produce baby plants at a ridiculous rate though. From one plant I got around Easter last year I now have around 15, with several more new pups that need repotting now.

Anyone want a baby aloe vera plant?!

over a year ago

"Aloe vera if you have some and a couple of paracetamol.

I have several plants and use the gel straight from the leaves. Useful for all sorts of things.

They produce baby plants at a ridiculous rate though. From one plant I got around Easter last year I now have around 15, with several more new pups that need repotting now.

Anyone want a baby aloe vera plant?!"

Hands up ... Me! Mine never recovered from my dog chewing it.

By *eryBigGirlWoman
over a year ago

East Yorkshire

Running under cold water to cool down and stop further burning then fresh air - never cover a burn as it slows down the healing unless its oozing and at risk of infection x

over a year ago

"Aloe vera if you have some and a couple of paracetamol.

Anyone want a baby aloe vera plant?!

Hands up ... Me! Mine never recovered from my dog chewing it. "

Bit far to deliver in person.

I wonder if it'd survive Royal Snail? They're hardy, but...

over a year ago

"What do you put on a burn, i just lost the plot and forgot how to turn the oven on, stuck my hand in it and caught it on the side so all down my thumb is burnt. Ive just had it under the cold tap but its throbbing"

egg white....

it coats it and keeps it sterile as it sets on top

over a year ago

Thanks people, all better now got a lovely blister the lenght of my thumb. But i might get myself an aloe vera plant sounds a good idea to keep

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 07/11/12 21:13:31]

over a year ago

If the burn is bigger than a 5p coin supposed to get it checked out at hospital

over a year ago

Defiantly aloe Vera everyone should keep a plant in case it's great for burns and sun damage,! Ps deleted last post as spelling was awful! It was supposed to ask how you get babies......off a plant as the one I took off died and mummy hasn't been well!

over a year ago

"If the burn is bigger than a 5p coin supposed to get it checked out at hospital"

Its just long not wide really, its only superficial, i have been badly burnt in the past so i know this is nothing it just smarted

over a year ago

"Defiantly aloe Vera everyone should keep a plant in case it's great for burns and sun damage,! Ps deleted last post as spelling was awful! It was supposed to ask how you get babies......off a plant as the one I took off died and mummy hasn't been well! "

You need to remove them once they get to 2-3" tall or they start to kill the parent. You just gently pull them away from the parent plant, at the stem of the parent, and pot them in compost designed for succulents.

How do you mean the parent plant isn't well? Has it turned pinkish? Brownish?

I'm still learning with mine, but they're tough and can recover from most things. The easiest way to kill them is to over-water them as the roots rot.

There's a lot of good information on the web. Google for the symptoms you're seeing.

over a year ago

Turning into gardeners world! But it was like after sex.....it went all floppy and flaccid! But like its owner picking up ...(but slower! I'm ok after 20 mins lol) thanks, you can inspect it if you like....oh and the plant lol

over a year ago

"Defiantly aloe Vera everyone should keep a plant in case it's great for burns and sun damage,! Ps deleted last post as spelling was awful! It was supposed to ask how you get babies......off a plant as the one I took off died and mummy hasn't been well! "
that had me in fits of laughter

over a year ago

"Turning into gardeners world! But it was like after sex.....it went all floppy and flaccid! But like its owner picking up ...(but slower! I'm ok after 20 mins lol) thanks, you can inspect it if you like....oh and the plant lol"

I'd guess it might need more light, or a bit more water. Also, check it's not root-bound. It may need to be in a bigger pot.

over a year ago

"Defiantly aloe Vera everyone should keep a plant in case it's great for burns and sun damage,! Ps deleted last post as spelling was awful! It was supposed to ask how you get babies......off a plant as the one I took off died and mummy hasn't been well! that had me in fits of laughter"

Well,if I don't make a lady smile my job is only half done

Post new Message to Thread