Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

How not to fix a gas boiler!!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Right I am typing with a bandaged hand all cos our stupid damn boiler is playing up as usual.

Friday night it decided to switch itself off without being told to do it!!

The kids got up Saturday morning took one look at me wrapped up in a duvet in the living room and threw themselves on the mercy of the boiler, which decided it really really did not want to work.

The wee red light that is supposed to come on when it wont light wont go on unless you thump the front of the boiler really hard so I did. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not a good idea cos it fought back and now its still not working properly and I got a poor little hand.

Why is it that when I call out an engineer to fix it, it works perfectly??

I get hot water and heating and if it wont light the wee red light comes on and even then it relights first time when the guy is here making me look like a prize tube!!!!!

I have decided I hate combi boilers cos I never had this problem when I had a hot water tank and a never ending supply of hot water so I’m going to petition my housing association to put my hot water tank back in along with the old boiler cos they worked!!!!

Shona

x x x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *imnher2Woman
over a year ago

watford

nooooooooo dont say that we getting 1 in tommorow, and its costing a packet hope we have better luck

over a year ago

Ohh no hun I have a friend who has just had one installed and she loves it.

I think its more to do with the fact my housing assoc hire cowboys to deal with anything we need fixing!!

Shona

x x x

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Shona, my heating refused to come on also, lashings of hot water but no heat..... a swift kick in the pump sorted mine!

over a year ago

Cant kick it tho Im only little and its on the wall

But on the good side it is staying on so far this morning but then I only put the boiler on half an hour ago!!

Shona

x x x

over a year ago

now heres an idea, i could be wrong tho lol

maybe it works first time for the boiler man because he knows what hes doing

over a year ago

LOL nympho

I would say that but the last time the guy was out he never even had to remove the cover!!

It wasnt working then he got here and hey presto the red light came on and all he did was turn on the hot tap in the sink and press the button and it was lit!!!

When I try that all that happens is I get sprayed with freezing cold water and the stupid boiler will not light

Shona

x x x

over a year ago

always the same, i remember calling someone out to have a look at mine cause for some reason it wasnt heating the water, tried everything, as you do, in the end admitted defeat and called someone out, the guy walked in, looked at it and did no more than switched the power on at the wall god did i feel a twat

over a year ago

Oh my god lol I would have wanted the ground to open up and swallow me lol

Mind you I can say for definite that the switch is deff on.

It has a big red label saying do not switch off so I always make sure the cat hasnt switched it of as she does her mad dash around the house she is quite clever you know she can drag all my clean washing under my bed and make herself a nice cosy bed without anyone noticing that their favourite shirt is missing!!

Still I think the threat of me hitting the boiler with a rather large mallet was enough to get it working for now!!

Shona

x x x

By *ickmealloverWoman
over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

My ex husband is a gas engineer and would NEVER but a combi boiler..... dont ever attempt to mend a boiler yourself. It can kill you love.

In many homes its a more important investment than a car as it keeps you warm and watered etc

Hope it works real soon chick xx

over a year ago

i've had the boiler man round so many times to fix mine, i hate it .... i'm forever getting the red light, but i now now how to fix codes 1,2 4 and 5 ... code 3 means i gotta get the man out to spray some wd40 inside the boiler lol ... all the other codes mean i just have to give it a good fiddling

combi boilers suck.

over a year ago

still got heating in all the downstairs radiators today but none upstairs bled the damn things till they are totally anaemic but still nothing

over a year ago

"still got heating in all the downstairs radiators today but none upstairs bled the damn things till they are totally anaemic but still nothing "

Is there enough water in the system Laine, it might be there isnt enough water to top all the upstairs rads up fully maybe?

over a year ago

Best thing we ever did... Swap to a efficient combi.. so far no issues, touch wood.. but gas use has halved in the last two years and we even have a house thats warm upstairs as well as down!.... Back to a tank and storing water?? Never lol.. Never.

over a year ago

"Best thing we ever did... Swap to a efficient combi.. so far no issues, touch wood.. but gas use has halved in the last two years and we even have a house thats warm upstairs as well as down!.... Back to a tank and storing water?? Never lol.. Never. "

i'm sure if you get a good one they're great, but housing associations and councils, never seem to go for good stuff, i've actually lost count of how many times they've been out to mine, and it's only been in 18 months.

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

"Best thing we ever did... Swap to a efficient combi.. so far no issues, touch wood.. but gas use has halved in the last two years and we even have a house thats warm upstairs as well as down!.... Back to a tank and storing water?? Never lol.. Never.

i'm sure if you get a good one they're great, but housing associations and councils, never seem to go for good stuff, i've actually lost count of how many times they've been out to mine, and it's only been in 18 months."

that's nothing to do with a hunky engineer turning up by chance

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

Our combi boiler is shit too.

Cant run a bath as dont get more than an inch of hot water.

Really miss having baths too.

And the heating never stays on for the time its supposed to - just goes on and off ramdomly.

Causing my housemate to turn the thrmostat up to 25 degrees!!!

Feck me its always hot in our house, lol

over a year ago

i know someone who has a thing for gas men

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

"i know someone who has a thing for gas men"
ours arent bad either i have to admit

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

"Our combi boiler is shit too.

And the heating never stays on for the time its supposed to - just goes on and off ramdomly.

Feck me its always hot in our house, lol"

He he he *has visions of half knaked debs flitting from hot room to hot room*

Showers are more fun anyway i thinks

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

Showers are more fun anyway i thinks "

Have you seen me????

I knew i should be more careful with those damn curtains, lol

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Showers are more fun anyway i thinks

Have you seen me????

I knew i should be more careful with those damn curtains, lol"

Well not got into the peeping tom thing yet but its veeeeeeeeery tempting lol. dont you dare pull them curtains

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

"

Well not got into the peeping tom thing yet but its veeeeeeeeery tempting lol. dont you dare pull them curtains "

LOL

Well the big bush outside obscures most of the view anyhow - the neighbours told me so so there!!!!

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

"

Well not got into the peeping tom thing yet but its veeeeeeeeery tempting lol. dont you dare pull them curtains

LOL

Well the big bush outside obscures most of the view anyhow - the neighbours told me so so there!!!!"

He he he neighbours will tell you anything to peek at your sexy ass

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

"

He he he neighbours will tell you anything to peek at your sexy ass "

Barstewards!!!!

Right - off to bed to get some beauty sleep - the lack of it this weekend is not doing me any good. I feel about 90, sorry no - i sent him packing, i feel about 35......lol

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

"

He he he neighbours will tell you anything to peek at your sexy ass

Barstewards!!!!

Right - off to bed to get some beauty sleep - the lack of it this weekend is not doing me any good. I feel about 90, sorry no - i sent him packing, i feel about 35......lol"

good night you sexy gal

*right where's my peeping kit?*

over a year ago

had same problem lol blody things 3 week on and off cost 220 notes to fix only just out warrenty

over a year ago

Combis are like any product ya get good ones and bad ones lol

They can be temperamental though and yes what the op says about the gas man turning up and it works is true lol

As some of you know im a gas engineer and that happens to me regularly for some reason

And the strange thing is they very rarely go wrong for the customer again

I must scare them inta working lol xx

over a year ago

Soapy get up here and scare it cos again this morning it is playing up!!!!

Shona

x x x

over a year ago

"Soapy get up here and scare it cos again this morning it is playing up!!!!

Shona

x x x "

Love ta doll but it too far and i have ta scare some other boilers lol

Good luck with it though hun

It does actually sound like a faulty thermistor too me from what you have said and these can cause intermittent faults xxx

over a year ago

"still got heating in all the downstairs radiators today but none upstairs bled the damn things till they are totally anaemic but still nothing

Is there enough water in the system Laine, it might be there isnt enough water to top all the upstairs rads up fully maybe? "

All I know is that when I switched it off all the radiators were full and running well...... just means I gotta kick the crap out of my pump and plumbing again! Such fun.

Post new Message to Thread