Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Relationships

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Is it possible to stay single and be happy?

Is it possible not to miss the things a relationship gives ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *aith SkynbyrdWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere else

"Is it possible to stay single and be happy?

Is it possible not to miss the things a relationship gives ?"

Emphatically yes.

By *he FAB Social - MCRCouple (FF)
over a year ago

manchester

My aim when I was a child was the old people ‘couples’ that my mum called ‘companions’ - what I imagined was basically fuck buddies but more formal.

Went on holiday and to family do’s together but still lived separately.

I think now, as an adult I’d still kinda like it (I’m in a co-habiting relationship) but I think a lot of it would realistically come down to finances!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Absolutely yes, I’m forever single now

By *ellinever70Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

I think for some it is

But I think there's probably a lot more who it wouldn't suit

By *ourladysfavoriteMan
over a year ago

GR

I'm single since I was 18 and yes I feel like I've enjoyed life much more so far, than I would if i was in a relationship

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I have single friends who are perfectly content and single friends who aren't and the same goes for my friends in relationships. It is possible to be happily single just the same as it's possible to be happily partnered.

over a year ago

Depends on if he knows how to work a washing machine.

By *rispyDuckMan
over a year ago

Chinese Takeaway near you

Most definitely

Been single 2yrs now & not looking to change that status anytime soon esp with mate's stag do and wedding coming up this yeah. I wanna sin with a clear conscious lol

over a year ago

Yes.

I've only had one serious relationship which was abusive so to be in a relationship for me is to be miserable. Single = happiness.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

If your not happy single a relationship won’t fix that

Ask yourself if you’d wanna date someone that’s miserable

over a year ago

I would say yes, but it does depend on the person. Some are happy by themselves and some need to be in a relationship, different strokes

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Depends on the person totally. FWB relationships are perfect for me. I don’t want anyone involved in my actual life permanently, ie: in my house and having a say in what I do and don’t do, and I never will but I am very happy with my life as it is. Other people may not be.

over a year ago

"Yes.

I've only had one serious relationship which was abusive so to be in a relationship for me is to be miserable. Single = happiness. "

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

I think it's possible.

And it's probably possible as long as you have a robust support network in place: such as friends, family, non-tangible distractions, adequate emotional outlets, a steady stream of contentment and fulfilment in whatever manifestation.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 27/05/22 10:57:16]

over a year ago

Of course you can do everything you like and be happy about it. But humans are programmed to long for a family life. So it's hard to get emotional fulfilment by staying single throughout. It's not a deal breaker though. There are ways to get around it.

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

"...humans are programmed to long for a family life."

°

Are they??

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"...humans are programmed to long for a family life.

°

Are they??"

Yeah, I think this is a lie we tell ourselves.

Many people have the urge to procreate. Others don't.

Most other needs can be obtained in other ways these days

over a year ago

°

Are they??

Most other needs can be obtained in other ways these days"

Urge to procreate is the basis of evolution. I agree that there are exceptions. But there are many who are not one of those exceptions but are living a lonely life that leads to high rates of depression. Not saying that they should all get married just because of this. Saying this as a person who has been in a bad relationship and got divorced.

In my opinion, living alone is better than being in a bad relationship. But being in a good relationship is better than being alone.

over a year ago

°

Are they??

Most other needs can be obtained in other ways these days

Urge to procreate is the basis of evolution. I agree that there are exceptions. But there are many who are not one of those exceptions but are living a lonely life that leads to high rates of depression. Not saying that they should all get married just because of this. Saying this as a person who has been in a bad relationship and got divorced.

In my opinion, living alone is better than being in a bad relationship. But being in a good relationship is better than being alone. "

And yet finding a good relationship feels like the hardest thing in the world...

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

Yes. I’m very happy thank you. No intention of getting into a full scale relationship. I’ve lots of friends and lots of interest’s to keep me occupied.

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

"My aim when I was a child was the old people ‘couples’ that my mum called ‘companions’ - what I imagined was basically fuck buddies but more formal.

Went on holiday and to family do’s together but still lived separately.

I think now, as an adult I’d still kinda like it (I’m in a co-habiting relationship) but I think a lot of it would realistically come down to finances! "

Yes this is me.

over a year ago

I intend on staying single and becoming the crazy dog lady.

I do miss certain aspects of a relationship, but for me the possibility of heartache just isn't worth it.

over a year ago

"I intend on staying single and becoming the crazy dog lady.

I do miss certain aspects of a relationship, but for me the possibility of heartache just isn't worth it. "

I’d risk heartache. Can’t imagine going to my grave thinking ‘what if’

over a year ago

I do miss certain aspects of a relationship, but for me the possibility of heartache just isn't worth it.

I’d risk heartache. Can’t imagine going to my grave thinking ‘what if’ "

With "what if" there's still a bit of hope.

With heartache there's none.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

Yes it's possible, I'm quite happy being single but on the flip I do miss having a partner because I'm a bit of a sucker for love.

Maybe one day I'll meet someone I want to be with and risk heartache again but I'm in no rush for it to happen.

By *lexV16Man
over a year ago

Welling

Yes, it’s possible to be happy as a single

Few things you’ll not get that there are there in relationship but equally you’ll miss few from single life when on relationship.

over a year ago

I’m very happy being single, I have everything I need in life .

I don’t have room in my life at the moment for a relationship but if someone came into my life and felt right then I wouldn’t oppose it.

I like to go with the flow and appreciate what I have in the moment.

By *evernmanMan
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

I'd love to be in a close relationship with a woman, but as I've found, more than once, the wrong relationship is worse than none.

Maybe I'll never find one who shares my passions, but until then I'll seek pleasure in the company of friends and FWBs.

By *rivervaderMan
over a year ago

bolton

Would rather stayed single but I wanted kids first missed I wasn’t married had a kid and she ran off with child never to see her so got married to have kids now in a sexless marriage but there for the kids some may judge and say leave but it’s not that easy

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

I think it suits a certain type of person who’s happy to be single permanently.

In my opinion they’d have plenty of friends or close family nearby. A job that is more of a hobby that you get paid to do or a professional who’s trained for years to get to their position.

Basically a person who’s life is complicated enough without the hassles of a relationship. Or someone who’s personal and professional life is fulfilled enough already.

over a year ago

Absolutely 100%. In my 50s and know I'll never have anyone long term again makes me happy

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

[Removed by poster at 27/05/22 13:33:56]

over a year ago

I’d risk heartache. Can’t imagine going to my grave thinking ‘what if’

With "what if" there's still a bit of hope.

With heartache there's none.

"

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I'm wasn't built to be alone.

I don't need someone I want someone. Yes heartache is the most painful experience and at the moment the thought of going through that again is terrifying.

Being with someone and caring for them to me is most special feeling

over a year ago

I think you can be . I was with my ex for 17 years and he was an arsehole.

I was actually more lonely being stuck in a marriage with him than I am now.

16 months on I’m more than happy as I am . I would prefer a fwb to be on the scene but it’s actually quite difficult to find

over a year ago

"I think you can be . I was with my ex for 17 years and he was an arsehole.

I was actually more lonely being stuck in a marriage with him than I am now.

16 months on I’m more than happy as I am . I would prefer a fwb to be on the scene but it’s actually quite difficult to find "

Actually , it’s quite easy to find someone to have sex with, but turning it into a regular thing rather than being ignored after til they are horny again is a different matter .

over a year ago

I miss feeling safe with someone. I miss the intimate connection. I miss knowing someone is there for me if I fail, win feel sad or want to enjoy the best moneando memories.

But I’m happy being single, and content. Just not what I wanted, but it sure is a lot less hassle when Valentine’s Day is coming up.

over a year ago

*best moments or memories.

over a year ago

I've been single for long periods and it was fine until I experienced romantic love for the first time 18 months ago. It ended, but now I know what I could have - I want it again. Worth the risk for me.

over a year ago

Yes it is possible, I am single and happy, have been for over 10 years now.

Why wouldn't it be possible to be single and happy?.

over a year ago

I find that relationships can a very treacherous and confusing thing.

When your single you long for that special someone to enjoy days out and dates with…. But when you start a new relationship, the buzz is amazing, when everything is fresh and exciting with you enjoying lots of fun finding all about what makes this new person tick…. But then after awhile the fun can fade away and things become routine…. If the boredom sets in, you’ll find yourself longing for the thrill of casual hook ups that in turn, feel empty with you longing for the company of a regular partner.

The thing I see a lot of people struggling with is knowing how and when to call off a relationship that has run it’s course. it’s hard to split once you live together or have started a family but it might be why sometimes it’s a lot easier to keep yourself single and carefree…..

By *ammo89Man
over a year ago

Aberdeen

Been single for 10 years, and very happily. I've known people who stayed in unhealthy relationships because they feel they had to, or were more afraid of being "alone", meaning single.

Ideally I would like a relationship at some point though. I think being happily single for this long would make me a much better boyfriend if it ever happens, specifically because I took the time to enjoy myself and do things I wanted while single

over a year ago

Absolutely you can be happy & single I am & I have no intention to change it either strong independent woman here because I’ve had to be & I miss nothing

over a year ago

I miss the feeling of being in love

over a year ago

"I miss the feeling of being in love

"

m

Aw!!!!!!!

over a year ago

I think

We should all join that cuddle thread thing and make each other feel better

By *rucking-HellMan
over a year ago

Northampton

I frame the question entirely the other way round: is it possible to be in a relationship and happy? I hardly know any truly happy people who are in relationships.

I've been single almost my whole adult life - certainly from my late 20s. I just don't feel the need to be partnered. It makes me shudder in fact. I've developed and nurtured a good relationship with myself, and it feels so solid that it doesn't need adding to. I'm very happy, and never feel lonely in any sense, despite spending 95% of my time alone.

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

°

Are they??

°

Most other needs can be obtained in other ways these days.

°

In my opinion, living alone is better than being in a bad relationship. But being in a good relationship is better than being alone. "

Not necessarily. Whilst it 'may be' the basis of evolution for all/most living things, for humankind the urge to procreate is no longer instinctively preordained. I would say it's more about "copulation" and not necessarily "procreation". Singletons who are happy/content In their situation are able to engage in sex but without the need for a permanent partner or a family dynamic.

over a year ago

°

Are they??

°

Most other needs can be obtained in other ways these days.

°

In my opinion, living alone is better than being in a bad relationship. But being in a good relationship is better than being alone.

Not necessarily. Whilst it 'may be' the basis of evolution for all/most living things, for humankind the urge to procreate is no longer instinctively preordained. I would say it's more about "copulation" and not necessarily "procreation". Singletons who are happy/content In their situation are able to engage in sex but without the need for a permanent partner or a family dynamic.

"

Not sure how you say it's "may be" the basis. It is a proven fact that spreading the gene is the basis of evolution. Copulation is one of the activities which help in spreading our genes. But it doesn't stop there. Just giving birth doesn't spread the genes. The parent also need to protect the offsprings so that they survive through their life and spread the genes further.

By *ereagainlolMan
over a year ago

Lerwick

"Yes.

I've only had one serious relationship which was abusive so to be in a relationship for me is to be miserable. Single = happiness. "

Not all men are like that, you could be missing out in being with someone that worships the ground you walk on.

By *inkyInkedBiWoman
over a year ago

I’m fed up of hearing ‘you don’t need someone else to make you happy’ - no I don’t - but to have it would be nice. It’s a want, not a need.

I do like my space and my house to myself so not sure I could live with someone again, but when your partner dies the longing to be wanted and loved again can be overwhelming

over a year ago

I’m single but certainly wish I wasn’t.

I’m happy in my own company, have plenty of friends and am happy with who I am as a person.

But I do very much have a longing to feel loved. friendship love & love from family is great but romantic love is different. I like feeling part of a team.

But I also recognise that plenty of people feel fulfilled being single and plenty of people in relationships are miserable. There’s no right or wrong way it’s just down to the individuals to figure out what makes them happiest.

over a year ago

"Yes.

I've only had one serious relationship which was abusive so to be in a relationship for me is to be miserable. Single = happiness.

Not all men are like that, you could be missing out in being with someone that worships the ground you walk on."

Well I've been searching and had no luck... So if you find him, send him my way.

By *aribbean King 1985Man
over a year ago

South West London

Each to their own but I'm very happy being single. Relationships can be good but depends on the person you're with but it's very hard work to maintain a relationship which people often don't like to mention.

over a year ago

"Yes.

Not all men are like that, you could be missing out in being with someone that worships the ground you walk on.

Well I've been searching and had no luck... So if you find him, send him my way. "

Here I a……

Oh. Never mind.

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

I used to miss being in a relationship, but nowadays I think I would find things a relationship has to offer annoying and restrictive,so being single suits me better.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I think it’s possible yes, I know lots of people who are single and ‘happy’ - me included. The organism has everything it needs to survive, it’s not in danger , it has meaningful work, friends and hobbies and maybe even spirituality and a measurable positive impact on the world.

But I think achieving much higher levels of fulfilment requires a kind of interdependence only found in 1-2-relationships but they don’t have to be exclusive. Somethings are so good, they have to be shared to be fully enjoyed.

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

What's a relationship l??

By *atnayCouple
over a year ago

STEVENAGE

Forggotten what being single is like. J and I have been together 25 years this summer.

With baby steps we are entering the scene. So now nothing is missing. We remain very much in love and have the bonus of being permitted to endulge in our lusty desires towards others. Win win. You know when your with the right person.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 15/05/23 08:36:55]

over a year ago

A year ago I'd have said no.

Now I'm learning that actually it's more important to date myself. To like myself, and to care for me. By doing this I'm actually happier now than I've ever been.

For years I thought I wanted a relationship. While in many ways I would love some of the aspects of one (closeness, middle of the night spooning, someone to do things with and to just hug me and hold my hand)

I've learnt that I'm not good at letting people in to every part of my life. My last one taught me I'm terrified of becoming too vulnerable.

Plus, I'm not sure I believe that one person can absolutely be enough for me. It's a hard realisation for me as I'm such a romantic at heart.

over a year ago

"I’m fed up of hearing ‘you don’t need someone else to make you happy’ - no I don’t - but to have it would be nice. It’s a want, not a need.

"

This.

Post new Message to Thread