Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Glad I aint an American voter

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

What a choice for President.

Obama- looks pretty, but has acheived shit, think Tony Blair.

Romney- mad right winger who believes in creationism

Makes our lot look electable

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'm just glad I'm.not American

over a year ago

"I'm just glad I'm.not American "

Funny thing is, I nearly wrote that as the title, but thought I'd be barracked (see what I did there)

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"

Makes our lot look electable"

Who used his position as bishop of the Mormon church to advise a female member that if she went through with the medically recommended abortion that would save her life that she was no longer welcome in the church and would condemn herself to hell.

After those higher in the church had already offered her their sympathy and support.

The man is rabidly pro-life, even if the mother will not survive.

over a year ago

"

Who used his position as bishop of the Mormon church to advise a female member that if she went through with the medically recommended abortion that would save her life that she was no longer welcome in the church and would condemn herself to hell.

After those higher in the church had already offered her their sympathy and support.

The man is rabidly pro-life, even if the mother will not survive."

exactly, ours look normal in comparison. I would not vote Romney, because of his stance on things like that. But, I would not vote Obama as he is toothless and will bankrupt America by the end of a second term

over a year ago

Same as us, no good option.

Shame there's no "none of the above" option. A chimps tea party could run the country better.

over a year ago

Ah obama hasn't done too bad. He was left with a shitheap after 8 years of the simpleton they called bush.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I remember being on base when they swore in obama. He was all talk about the US troops etc. however i would have to say obama as the other one needs a mental health assessment. i valued that i was a part time American citizen and lived on a US Army base for 3 years....

over a year ago

I was in The States when Obama was sworn in as President.

The wave of emotion and hope was incredible and I think it is unfortunate that despite a couple of success stories, his current term as President is likely to be seen as a non-entity at best and a failure at worst.

I think if I were voting today, I would take the 'double or quits' gamble in his favour and see if he just can't make some headway with some of the tougher issues affecting America today.

That said, I've got to say that the best speech of his Presidential race this time round was actually the one given by Bill Clinton in September.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Romney is just the figurehead for a think tank.....

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

Obama

over a year ago

Obama hasn't done much true, but he's tried to push through the healthcare bill which can only be a good thing for the poor. Regardless of wether the "hard working taxpayers" like it, he's tried to do a good thing.

And in a radical break from tradition he went a full 4 years without bombing anyone new, fucking anyone he shouldn't or making any idiotic gaffes. He should get a second 4 years for that alone.

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"Romney is just the figurehead for a think tank.....

"

But would you trust the thinking of the think tank that chose him as a puppet?

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

But would you trust the thinking of the think tank that chose him as a puppet? "

No, because in the same way Bush was the figurehead of an Oil driven thinktank, Romney is the figurehead of a Mormon (some have even claimed a Mormon Fundamentalist) driven thinktank....

I prefer to see a US President who cares for America as a whole and not just a particular group.

over a year ago

"Obama hasn't done much true, but he's tried to push through the healthcare bill which can only be a good thing for the poor. Regardless of wether the "hard working taxpayers" like it, he's tried to do a good thing.

And in a radical break from tradition he went a full 4 years without bombing anyone new, fucking anyone he shouldn't or making any idiotic gaffes. He should get a second 4 years for that alone.

"

over a year ago

But would you trust the thinking of the think tank that chose him as a puppet?

No, because in the same way Bush was the figurehead of an Oil driven thinktank, Romney is the figurehead of a Mormon (some have even claimed a Mormon Fundamentalist) driven thinktank....

I prefer to see a US President who cares for America as a whole and not just a particular group."

Romney is dangerous , look at the damage Bush did , the world doesn't need another idiot in the whitehouse

By *ainaldoMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Wow never thought I'd find so many world leaders on a swingers site. Obama has done little but loom at the world his tenure has been in. The worst global recession ever, coupled together with more destablisation in the middle east and a dreadful on going mess in Afghanistan. Seriously what did you expect him to do in 4 yrs of economic decline?

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I like Obama. An anagram of 'Mitt Romney' spells ''My! I'm rotten'.

over a year ago

"Wow never thought I'd find so many world leaders on a swingers site. Obama has done little but loom at the world his tenure has been in. The worst global recession ever, coupled together with more destablisation in the middle east and a dreadful on going mess in Afghanistan. Seriously what did you expect him to do in 4 yrs of economic decline?"

His golf has improved.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

And his basketball. He played a game after he had voted.

over a year ago

I watched Romney on TV and he has the look of a potential madman about him. Think evangelical hallelujah type preacher. Nutter.

Don't like Obama that much as he comes across as insincere trying to be sincere, but the alternative in Romney could be disastrous, and not just for America.

over a year ago

Someone with access to America's nuclear codes really shouldn't have access to a Bible

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

i voted......

I'll copy and paste what I put in the other thread as to who and why....

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Obama hasn't changed as much as I had hoped and there are some things that I don't like that he hasn't been able to accomplish.. such as getting the debt down.... and back down on legislation and not getting anything back

but as much of that has been down to a obstinate republican senate and congress that rather than putting the country first their sole mission has been to obstruct the president and his programme for government..

if it had been a centrist republican running against him.... for example a Governor Chris Christie of new jersey (unheard of being a republican governor in a staunchly democratic and liberal state) I may have been tempted to vote "red"

I am probably what they use to call a "reagan democrat"... in that fact that I lean just left of centre.. but there is a lot on the right I can agree with... and the person who manage to capture that vote

reagan did it from the right, bill clinton did exactly the same thing from the left for the democrats..... in that they governed in the centre enough to make those in his party happy, moderates in the other party not want to hate his guts, and those independants in the middle...

but romney with his every changing opinions and positions has scared me enough to stay with obama, he will say what he thinks people want to hear and deny anything he has said in the past....

too right wing for me... too much of the typical "smarmy" person...

or did you just want the short answer.... lol

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I have fears of hanging, pregnant chads, Florida and lawyers de ja vue on this election.

The first votes in were split five for Obama and five for Romney.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"What a choice for President.

"

that is actually a bit unfair... because what he did in the 1st 2 years and what he managed to do in the last 2 years are a stark contrast...

in the first 2 years...

he signed into law the healthcare bill

the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" with regards to gay and lesbian people in the military,

the FDA bill with regards to tobacco and advertising,

the lilly leadbetter act which brought into effect the equality of pay between men and women,

the credit card bill which stops banks and credit card companies from hiking up interest rates,

the hate crimes bill that was extended to cover gays and lesbians as well as those of colour,

the coverage of healthcare for children,

the revamping of college student loans,

the revamping the spending for america national voluntary service programs,

cash for clunkers trade in program (remember when they did the same here by giving a trade in value on any old car to get a new one here!.... where did that idea come from???)

the bailout of the american auto makers,

the stimulas bill.....

and then.....

when the republicans took over in 2010 it all stopped... they made it their position to opposed him on everything...

so he did achieve quite a bit...

over a year ago

"Someone with access to America's nuclear codes really shouldn't have access to a Bible"

Ha ha love it

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

They're saying that this year the amount of postal/absentee voters has increased hugely. Mainly as a reaction against mitt Romney.

By *xodussxMan
over a year ago

sheffield

that is actually a bit unfair... because what he did in the 1st 2 years and what he managed to do in the last 2 years are a stark contrast...

in the first 2 years...

the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" with regards to gay and lesbian people in the military,

the lilly leadbetter act which brought into effect the equality of pay between men and women,

the credit card bill which stops banks and credit card companies from hiking up interest rates,

the hate crimes bill that was extended to cover gays and lesbians as well as those of colour,

cash for clunkers trade in program (remember when they did the same here by giving a trade in value on any old car to get a new one here!.... where did that idea come from???)

the stimulas bill.....

and then.....

when the republicans took over in 2010 it all stopped... they made it their position to opposed him on everything...

so he did achieve quite a bit..."

Thanks Fabio....

People seem to forget the mess left by Bush

over a year ago

Makes our lot look electable"

Tony Blair achieved a great deal, though whether one applauds what he achieved is another matter.I don't know what Obama has achieved because I don't follow American politics but all I know is that I would rather see him in the presidency than a right wing creationist Mormon. Personally I worry when there is anybody with strong religious _iews in government anywhere in the world .

over a year ago

Tony Blair achieved a great deal, though whether one applauds what he achieved is another matter.I don't know what Obama has achieved because I don't follow American politics but all I know is that I would rather see him in the presidency than a right wing creationist Mormon. Personally I worry when there is anybody with strong religious _iews in government anywhere in the world .

"

over a year ago

"

over a year ago

"

You need to look at what Obama HAS done before making rash statements like that and Tony Blair for that

By *histler21Man
over a year ago

Ipswich

At least with two candidates - you can assign one side of a coin to each of them, toss the coin ... and vote the way the coin decides. Simples.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"At least with two candidates - you can assign one side of a coin to each of them, toss the coin ... and vote the way the coin decides. Simples."

technically there are five candidates.... but I'll talk about later in my us election thread.....

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

The press had been quoting $1.5bn as the cost of this election now they are saying $2bn. It's crazy.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"The press had been quoting $1.5bn as the cost of this election now they are saying $2bn. It's crazy."

Think of all the bombs and missiles they could buy with that.....

By *exki11enWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

in the first 2 years...

the stimulas bill.....

and then.....

so he did achieve quite a bit...

Thanks Fabio....

People seem to forget the mess left by Bush "

People these days don't seem able to wait for anything (want it and want it now culture) No one else will turn things around any quicker. We're in a GLOBAL recession.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

think Obama's record prior to being stopped by the Republicans is'nt too bad..

its certainly better than the tories over here..

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"The press had been quoting $1.5bn as the cost of this election now they are saying $2bn. It's crazy."

the problem is the supreme court upheld one of the last things put in by bush, in that where the actual democratic and republican parties can only spend a certain amount, outside interests can spend unlimited amounts and they don't have the be named... hence the rise of the "Super-PACS" (Political Action Committies)

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Obama has had to spend so much time just dealing with the "prove you're an American" brigade. Ignoring it is all well and good but I am sure there is someone in his office telling him the stats on the stories and requests.

The things I have read and watched suggest that he also finds it really difficult to do the handshaking and speechifying. Add to that that he is used to working alone in academia and I get a picture of someone who needs a second term to really show what he is made of.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"think Obama's record prior to being stopped by the Republicans is'nt too bad..

its certainly better than the tories over here.."

it wasn't at all... but it tends to be a case of "what have you done lately" and people forget the first 2 yrs....

the right (republicans) in the states tends to be further right then the tories... and the dems tend to be where labour is (new labour centre rather than the old labour left) which is why you get the wierd situation of tories and dems getting along as they are not that far apart....

By *histler21Man
over a year ago

Ipswich

"At least with two candidates - you can assign one side of a coin to each of them, toss the coin ... and vote the way the coin decides. Simples.

technically there are five candidates.... but I'll talk about later in my us election thread....."

Yes, but only two realistic candidates.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"At least with two candidates - you can assign one side of a coin to each of them, toss the coin ... and vote the way the coin decides. Simples.

technically there are five candidates.... but I'll talk about later in my us election thread.....

Yes, but only two realistic candidates."

yep... 27 candidates in total....

5 candidates on enough state ballots to get to the magic 270 electoral college votes....

and one potential "spoiler".... Gary Johnson

if ohio and colorado especially are really close, the amount of people who vote for him is going to make or break obama or romney.....

over a year ago

"Same as us, no good option.

Shame there's no "none of the above" option. A chimps tea party could run the country better."

Don't mention the tea party their backing Romney

over a year ago

Yes, but only two realistic candidates.

yep... 27 candidates in total....

5 candidates on enough state ballots to get to the magic 270 electoral college votes....

and one potential "spoiler".... Gary Johnson

if ohio and colorado especially are really close, the amount of people who vote for him is going to make or break obama or romney....."

I get mixed up with the voting system in the States. Is it the Senate/House of Representatives that are against Obama? And haven't they got another 2 years before the next election? If Obama gets back in, does that mean another 2 years of him having his hands tied?

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

I've just seen reports that people are saying they voted for Obama but the machines are registering their vote for Romney!

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I've just seen reports that people are saying they voted for Obama but the machines are registering their vote for Romney!

"

in Florida perhaps?

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"I've just seen reports that people are saying they voted for Obama but the machines are registering their vote for Romney!

in Florida perhaps?"

Apparently it's been in Pennsylvania. In Ohio people voting for Romney are having their votes registered as Obama! The touchscreens have a glitch. If it's too close how will they verify the votes?

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

in Florida perhaps?

Apparently it's been in Pennsylvania. In Ohio people voting for Romney are having their votes registered as Obama! The touchscreens have a glitch. If it's too close how will they verify the votes?"

i knew when i was watching how complicated it was there would be a cock up

over a year ago

in Florida perhaps?

Apparently it's been in Pennsylvania. In Ohio people voting for Romney are having their votes registered as Obama! The touchscreens have a glitch. If it's too close how will they verify the votes?"

...and the result in Ohio being indicative of who will win the election. Naughty Mr Obama!

over a year ago

in Lancashire

in Florida perhaps?

Apparently it's been in Pennsylvania. In Ohio people voting for Romney are having their votes registered as Obama! The touchscreens have a glitch. If it's too close how will they verify the votes?i knew when i was watching how complicated it was there would be a cock up "

the lawyers will be rubbing their hands in expectant glee..

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 06/11/12 23:09:50]

over a year ago

in Florida perhaps?

canada.com are reporting it the other way round. Obama votes registering as Romney in Pennsylvania.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

I get mixed up with the voting system in the States. Is it the Senate/House of Representatives that are against Obama? And haven't they got another 2 years before the next election? If Obama gets back in, does that mean another 2 years of him having his hands tied?"

the lower house, the house of representatives, has the republican majority, the upper house, the senate have a democratic majority..

so tonight as well as the presidential election, all the seats in the house are up for re-election tonight... as well as a third of the seats in the senate are also up for grabs tonight...

in theory the republicans could hold up everything again... but if they do they will probably find the backlash against them at the next general election would be huge as obama would use it as political capital...

over a year ago

Huh? This election tonight decides who will be President in the morning, doesn't it?

..and if Obama wins tonight he can't fight it again in four years time as he'll have had his two terms. That's right isn't it?

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Newsnight just ended with the bit from the Simpsons with Homer trying to vote for Obama and the votes registering for McCain

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"Huh? This election tonight decides who will be President in the morning, doesn't it?

..and if Obama wins tonight he can't fight it again in four years time as he'll have had his two terms. That's right isn't it?"

That's correct. Two terms only, unless there is a WWIII.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Huh? This election tonight decides who will be President in the morning, doesn't it?

..and if Obama wins tonight he can't fight it again in four years time as he'll have had his two terms. That's right isn't it?"

yes wishy.... but as well as the presidental elections there are others going on at national and state level as well...

national level being the races for house and senate seats...

state level regional government...

for example.. at state level, there are 3 states voting on whether the make cannabis legal.... another 4 states are voting on the issue of gay marriage....

so the presidential race is the "main event"... but other interesting races...

Post new Message to Thread