Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The things kids learn today in school

Jump to newest

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Jays grandaughter is 4 and has just started infant school. They have house names like we did. Only their house names are famous artists Picasso, rembrant, donatello and i cant remember the other as not heard of him lol and she can count up to ten in french. Its bad when a 4 year old is more intelligent than me lol

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *xodussxMan
over a year ago

sheffield

At 4 i was counting and writing up to 200 in french

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

A lot of mixed learning nowadays and its good. so many 30+ do not speak a 2nd language here and its pretty bad.

over a year ago

"At 4 i was counting and writing up to 200 in french "

mmmmmmm but thats a bit different lol, you had a head start lol

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 05/11/12 16:37:47]

By *xodussxMan
over a year ago

sheffield

"At 4 i was counting and writing up to 200 in french

mmmmmmm but thats a bit different lol, you had a head start lol"

By *upitersmileCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

We weren't taught till we hit high school and I'm ashamed to say I've forgotten most of the french I learnt, but I can still understand and read German to a reasonablish (new wormalingering very good at making them up lol) standard.

My 12 year old started French at 4 and proberbly knows more at 12 than what I did to get through my gcse lol

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

"We weren't taught till we hit high school and I'm ashamed to say I've forgotten most of the french I learnt, but I can still understand and read German to a reasonablish (new wormalingering very good at making them up lol) standard.

My 12 year old started French at 4 and proberbly knows more at 12 than what I did to get through my gcse lol"

They learn it quicker when they're young. I think it's a brilliant idea.

We weren't taught French until secondary school and I can't remember a friggin' thing whereas I think I would've remembered if we'd been started younger. x

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"At 4 i was counting and writing up to 200 in french "

The question is.... did you then proceed to learn to go beyond 200 ...;-)

By *xodussxMan
over a year ago

sheffield

"A lot of mixed learning nowadays and its good. so many 30+ do not speak a 2nd language here and its pretty bad. "
More than pretty bad.

I was shocked when i first arrived here and it was so hard to find any work colleague ( british ) who can speak french, spanish or portuguess...Then i asked one lady which other language do you speak? She replied: GEORDIE...

By *xodussxMan
over a year ago

sheffield

The question is.... did you then proceed to learn to go beyond 200 ...;-) "

hahahahah

All just came naturally after 200...

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"We weren't taught till we hit high school and I'm ashamed to say I've forgotten most of the french I learnt, but I can still understand and read German to a reasonablish (new wormalingering very good at making them up lol) standard.

My 12 year old started French at 4 and proberbly knows more at 12 than what I did to get through my gcse lol"

For English speakers German is indeed easier to learn and remember than French even if on the surface it does not look like that.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

The question is.... did you then proceed to learn to go beyond 200 ...;-) hahahahah

All just came naturally after 200..."

xx

over a year ago

"

I was shocked when i first arrived here and it was so hard to find any work colleague ( british ) who can speak french, spanish or portuguess...Then i asked one lady which other language do you speak? She replied: GEORDIE..."

I can't see your problem. Now scouse, that's a hard language to master!!

over a year ago

Dora the explorer teaches a few spanish words.. and the lingo show on cbeebies teaches a tiny bit of german, french, spanish and mandarin.

Ive learnt the odd word..

over a year ago

My little girl started infants in september and is doing really well....things have changed since my school start when we had to read topsy and tim and red book 1.2 and 3.

By *upitersmileCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

"My little girl started infants in september and is doing really well....things have changed since my school start when we had to read topsy and tim and red book 1.2 and 3."

And bangers and mash lol

over a year ago

Nice to hear positive things about schools and teachers for a change! Lol

over a year ago

"My little girl started infants in september and is doing really well....things have changed since my school start when we had to read topsy and tim and red book 1.2 and 3.

And bangers and mash lol"

I forgot about them two monkeys......and John and Jane in the garden.

over a year ago

"A lot of mixed learning nowadays and its good. so many 30+ do not speak a 2nd language here and its pretty bad. "

i dont see why its bad to not speak a second language

if you live in a country and never intend to move out of that country you dont really have a need to speak another language do you?

so why learn someone you have no use for when you can be learning a skill that will benift you in life

By *aris23Woman
over a year ago

France

My little boy has started school this year too and I'm shocked at the level of teaching. Between his childminder and me we had already taught him phonics, spelling, number recognition into the hundreds, writing etc plus I have been teaching him French for the past couple of years. Now he's in reception class they are teaching him numbers 1-5 and how to recognise letters of the alphabet. I know some children in the class may not have much in the way of nursery learning etc but it's frustrating to see him 'doing it all again' when he could be expanding on the good basics he already has.

Post new Message to Thread