Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

This is a serious post ......

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I know thats not a likely prospect but this is a serious question .............

My oven internal light cover broke along with the light bulb (that had stopped working), whilst I tried to take them out to replace the bulb

I now have a sheered off lightbulb sitting in the oven lightbulb housing ....

Do I need to just isolate the oven by switching the oven switch off or should I pull the fuse on the fuse board too before taking some long nosed pliers to it to try and remove it ...........

I do not want the stupid answers that tell me to do it with it live cos I dont wanna die just yet thanks ......

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

i think we need a fella to answer this one !

over a year ago

"i think we need a fella to answer this one ! "

depends which one u come up with ........... lol I want a sensible one

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"i think we need a fella to answer this one ! "
OMG, why would we need a fella? She only wants advice on electrics

By *cottishrichMan
over a year ago

Here and there

Switch on oven or switch on wall?

Either way, if you're in doubt knock it off at the fuse.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I know have visions of a wild haired woman walking round Brighton with a blackened face saying 'does anyone know what time the chippy shuts ?'

By *teborahCouple
over a year ago

warrington

The oven should have its own trip switch on the consumer board, just switch it off.

over a year ago

Turning it off at mains should be sufficient enough unless you're house has dodgy wiring

By *ichaelsmyMan
over a year ago

douglas

Safety first. Pull fuse. Take care with the pliers not to damage where the bulb is held. You should be ok though

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

If by 'oven switch' you mean a plug going into a socket...... yes that would be enough or flick the circuit breaker .

If you mean a switch on the oven itself.... no, don't trust that.

over a year ago

"I know thats not a likely prospect but this is a serious question .............

My oven internal light cover broke along with the light bulb (that had stopped working), whilst I tried to take them out to replace the bulb

Do I need to just isolate the oven by switching the oven switch off or should I pull the fuse on the fuse board too before taking some long nosed pliers to it to try and remove it ...........

I do not want the stupid answers that tell me to do it with it live cos I dont wanna die just yet thanks ...... "

Switch oven off.

By *rs and mr sanddancerCouple
over a year ago

Boldon

"Switch on oven or switch on wall?

Either way, if you're in doubt knock it off at the fuse. "

Better to be safe than sorry

over a year ago

"The oven should have its own trip switch on the consumer board, just switch it off.

"

Switch it off as above xx

over a year ago

"i think we need a fella to answer this one !

depends which one u come up with ........... lol I want a sensible one "

isolate every time, if fuse faulty u could boom!!! if you have to turn electric off in daylight sou not working in dark,

over a year ago

where's Wishy when u need him WISHY HELP

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"I know have visions of a wild haired woman walking round Brighton with a blackened face saying 'does anyone know what time the chippy shuts ?'"
There we are - you proved me wrong. We do need a man after all... if only for the witty stuff

over a year ago

"I know thats not a likely prospect but this is a serious question .............

I do not want the stupid answers that tell me to do it with it live cos I dont wanna die just yet thanks ......

Switch oven off."

Depending how safe you feel doing it.

over a year ago

"i think we need a fella to answer this one !

depends which one u come up with ........... lol I want a sensible one isolate every time, if fuse faulty u could boom!!! if you have to turn electric off in daylight sou not working in dark, "

even I could have worked out the in daylight bit

over a year ago

Its a right ball ache when this happens. It happened o the light on our oven. The way I got it out was with pliers to grip the metal base of the light bulb and turn it out. Our oven had a screw in fitting, so it was a pain.

Just make sure you turn the oven off from the mains when you do it. Also probably worth wearing garden gloves as the broken glass is very fine and hurts like fuck if you cut yourself with it

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"where's Wishy when u need him WISHY HELP "
He is in recover from shock... as I declared my love for him publicly!

over a year ago

Switch oven off.

Depending how safe you feel doing it."

put it like this I can feel a trip to A&E coming on - either for burns or for cuts ..............

By *teborahCouple
over a year ago

warrington

"where's Wishy when u need him WISHY HELP "

Just google it then

over a year ago

Pull the fuse or turn off the breaker.

Then use long nose pliers to remove bulb remnants.

If in any doubt

"CALL AN ELECTRICIAN"

No price on your own safty

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

wear rubber wellys rubber gloves and stand on a rubber bath mat and you should be ok, only should though b4 you try it !!

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"wear rubber wellys rubber gloves and stand on a rubber bath mat and you should be ok, only should though b4 you try it !! "
Dont give Minsie the idea about rubber... there is no hope if she gets into rubber fetish...

over a year ago

"wear rubber wellys rubber gloves and stand on a rubber bath mat and you should be ok, only should though b4 you try it !! "

me thinks I am gonna drag someone in off the street to do it - I must know an electrician surely or failing that who dont I need in my life ......... lol

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

And then stick to sandwiches and cold salads or if you prefer something hot.........pot noodles.

over a year ago

"wear rubber wellys rubber gloves and stand on a rubber bath mat and you should be ok, only should though b4 you try it !! Dont give Minsie the idea about rubber... there is no hope if she gets into rubber fetish... "

that sounds like a complete faff to get all that on for a rubber fetish meet lol

over a year ago

"And then stick to sandwiches and cold salads or if you prefer something hot.........pot noodles. "

I noted u didnt volunteer to die ...... and just down the road tooo tskkk

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"wear rubber wellys rubber gloves and stand on a rubber bath mat and you should be ok, only should though b4 you try it !! Dont give Minsie the idea about rubber... there is no hope if she gets into rubber fetish...

that sounds like a complete faff to get all that on for a rubber fetish meet lol "

worth a try if you go on espares and type in oven lightbulb there is a short video showing you the safe way

over a year ago

I do not want the stupid answers that tell me to do it with it live cos I dont wanna die just yet thanks ...... "

An isolator does just that - it isolates the appliance from the supply. However, if it really bothers you to put a pair of metal pliers into something your brain is telling you should be live then by all means pull the fuse (or flick the circuit breaker off, whichever you have).

over a year ago

"And then stick to sandwiches and cold salads or if you prefer something hot.........pot noodles. "

Get your tool kit out and go and help the lady, you only live around the corner!!!

over a year ago

"where's Wishy when u need him WISHY HELP

He is in recover from shock... as I declared my love for him publicly! "

I'm watchin X factor. ffs.. it's the importunt bit.

over a year ago

I'm watchin X factor. ffs.. it's the importunt bit. "

will i be safe if i just flick the red switch? or not - quick before they vote

over a year ago

Yep on the wall

over a year ago

As a catering engineer I can say as long as the oven is switched off at the wall you should be ok but if your worried always best to take the fuse out better to be safe than sorry

over a year ago

"Yep on the wall "

ure just trying to kill me off lol it should be the other way around

over a year ago

will i be safe if i just flick the red switch? or not - quick before they vote "

Have mailed you.

over a year ago

Is it a gas oven?

over a year ago

nooooooooooooooooooooo its electric lol

over a year ago

"Yep on the wall

ure just trying to kill me off lol it should be the other way around "

Ok ok... Seriously... As an electrical engineer always play safe (no pun on sexual connotation intended ) either switch it off at the wall or better still pull the fuse/flick the switch for the cooker/kitchen ring main on the consumer unit. Pull the remnants out with pliers.... Safety first in my job xx

over a year ago

"Yep on the wall

ure just trying to kill me off lol it should be the other way around

Ok ok... Seriously... As an electrical engineer always play safe (no pun on sexual connotation intended ) either switch it off at the wall or better still pull the fuse/flick the switch for the cooker/kitchen ring main on the consumer unit. Pull the remnants out with pliers.... Safety first in my job xx"

What he said.

over a year ago

"nooooooooooooooooooooo its electric lol "

Phew!

over a year ago

Do NOT trust just the switch on the oven itself!

If it's wired correctly, the oven should have it's own large mains switch on the wall, plus separate wiring to a single fuse or circuit breaker on the fuse board.

Just switching off the main wall switch will completely isolate the oven and make it safe.

But that doesn't give you absolute protection from doing something daft, like accidentally knocking the wall switch - so pull the fuse or turn of the breaker at the fuse board as well for absolute safety.

Then turn on the oven switch to make sure that it doesn't work - but turn it off again before doing anything more.

But if you're pulling out any of the light socket parts then you should get somebody knowledgable to check what you've done unless you are really certain of your skill level.

It would really be safer to get somebody to lift the whole oven out of the unit to check for damage behind the light - it's usually not a difficult job.

I did a basic home electrics course years ago, when we restored an old house - electrical equipment really should be treated with more than a little care.

Treat it with the thought that it might work ok after you've repaired it, but there's always a chance that it could later burn your house down if you've got it wrong, or kill you or somebody else at any time! And it does happen - too many times....

Best advice - swallow the cost and get a professional electrician in - male or female!!!

over a year ago

Yes switch off at the wall you will be totally safe. Qualified to answer your question so you are safe

By *he Original TTMan
over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

For safety, locate which fuse/circuit breaker serves the oven on your 'fusebox'. Isolate it here by turning off the circuit breaker or removing the fuse.

Most 'cooker' wall switches are double pole isolation, meaning it would be safe to isolate using that, but some older ones aren't.

Don't take any chances, isolate it at the fusebox.

As for removing the bulb from the holder, using long nosed pliers is fine and you won't need rubber gloves etc, unless you have any broken glass to remove.

Above all be careful, and if in any doubt at any stage, STOP, and call a qualified electrician.

X

over a year ago

"Do NOT trust just the switch on the oven itself!

If it's wired correctly, the oven should have it's own large mains switch on the wall, plus separate wiring to a single fuse or circuit breaker on the fuse board.

Just switching off the main wall switch will completely isolate the oven and make it safe.

But that doesn't give you absolute protection from doing something daft, like accidentally knocking the wall switch - so pull the fuse or turn of the breaker at the fuse board as well for absolute safety.

Then turn on the oven switch to make sure that it doesn't work - but turn it off again before doing anything more.

But if you're pulling out any of the light socket parts then you should get somebody knowledgable to check what you've done unless you are really certain of your skill level.

It would really be safer to get somebody to lift the whole oven out of the unit to check for damage behind the light - it's usually not a difficult job.

I did a basic home electrics course years ago, when we restored an old house - electrical equipment really should be treated with more than a little care.

Treat it with the thought that it might work ok after you've repaired it, but there's always a chance that it could later burn your house down if you've got it wrong, or kill you or somebody else at any time! And it does happen - too many times....

Best advice - swallow the cost and get a professional electrician in - male or female!!!

"

its a screw in (scuse the pun) lightbulb - not bloody rocket science lol but thank u for your concern

over a year ago

and I havent been blown up and I cant do the job either - some little shite has run off with the pliers and no one and I mean no one knows where they are ................. grrrrr

By *orkieMan
over a year ago

Who knows

Isolate at the wall and you will be fine

over a year ago

"Isolate at the wall and you will be fine"

thank u

over a year ago

will i be safe if i just flick the red switch? or not - quick before they vote

Have mailed you.

"

thank u x

over a year ago

As long as the cooker is turned off at the mains ie the cooker point u dont need 2 pull the fuse

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

All good advice except no one asked the question, are you sure the isolation switch worked on both poles. First rule of isolation test, test and test again.

Hope you have managed ok minx.

By *he Original TTMan
over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

"All good advice except no one asked the question, are you sure the isolation switch worked on both poles. First rule of isolation test, test and test again.

Hope you have managed ok minx. "

Hence my post...!

Safer to isolate at source too.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Think the only way to keep Minxie safe... is to completely isolate her xx

over a year ago

"All good advice except no one asked the question, are you sure the isolation switch worked on both poles. First rule of isolation test, test and test again.

Hope you have managed ok minx. "

I'm suspecting she won't have a Megger handy.

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

Hence my post...!

Safer to isolate at source too."

But to be fair to other posts most mcb's only isolate the one live conductor.

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

I'm suspecting she won't have a Megger handy. "

Your so last century wishy

over a year ago

nope havent succeeded some twat ran off with the long nosed pliers and doesnt know where they are ............... give me strength ........ gonna have to continue this tomorrow

By *he Original TTMan
over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

A serious note here - how many of the people who have offered advice are actually 'qualified' to do so? I.e. are elctricians working to curren 17th edition wiring regs?

It may sound petty, but if someone acts on your advice and it is incorrect, you could end up being liable for damages/ compensation. All qualified electricians will a) know what they are talking about and b) will have PLI to ensure that if the worst happens they are covered.

This is also the reason that Part P was introduced to stop people 'playing' with their own electrical installations.

Seriously folks, if it's not what you do, please don't offer advice!!!

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"nope havent succeeded some twat ran off with the long nosed pliers and doesnt know where they are ............... give me strength ........ gonna have to continue this tomorrow "

Cotton towel double folded turn lamp out counter clock wise job done, and make sure power is off

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

This is like the bloody council. One person doing the job and 50 giving advice

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"A serious note here - how many of the people who have offered advice are actually 'qualified' to do so? I.e. are elctricians working to curren 17th edition wiring regs?

It may sound petty, but if someone acts on your advice and it is incorrect, you could end up being liable for damages/ compensation. All qualified electricians will a) know what they are talking about and b) will have PLI to ensure that if the worst happens they are covered.

This is also the reason that Part P was introduced to stop people 'playing' with their own electrical installations.

"

I could not agree with you more and I would personally not touch electrics even though I understand.

over a year ago

"A serious note here - how many of the people who have offered advice are actually 'qualified' to do so? I.e. are elctricians working to curren 17th edition wiring regs?

"

I am 17th Edit Part P Full Scope and have £2m Public Liability insurance. I'm also a member of Elecsa.

Part P is changing so that many jobs that currently fall under Minor Works are no longer considered to be notifiable. This is being done so that homeowners can do basic electrical work themselves (run in an extra socket off a ring main or radial circuit for example). Isolating an oven circuit and extracting a broken light fitting does NOT require an electrician to do it unless the homeowner really doesn't feel comfortable accomplishing the task his or herself.

A pair of pliers does help though, and as she's lost hers she'll have to wait till she gets some more before doing it.

By *he Original TTMan
over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

Hence my post...!

Safer to isolate at source too.

But to be fair to other posts most mcb's only isolate the one live conductor. "

No. But if its a more recent installation then the RCD will be protection enough, and if it is a very recent installation then it will be an RCBO anyway. If it is very old installation, then it is to be hoped that it is at least PME.

In all cases, the more points of isolation, the better for a 'non-expert'.

over a year ago

Turn it off everywhere possible - even flick the big switch on the fuse board to be sure!

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"

And here me thinking part P was set up to make government more money. By the way I am a electrician, technician and electrical engineer.

over a year ago

"nope havent succeeded some twat ran off with the long nosed pliers and doesnt know where they are ............... give me strength ........ gonna have to continue this tomorrow

Cotton towel double folded turn lamp out counter clock wise job done, and make sure power is off "

I had already tried that ages ago but the bulb has sheared off in line with the plastic bit so there is nothing to grab ...........hence the need for the long nosed pliers

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

I am 17th Edit Part P Full Scope and have £2m Public Liability insurance. I'm also a member of Elecsa.

Part P is changing so that many jobs that currently fall under Minor Works are no longer considered to be notifiable. This is being done so that homeowners can do basic electrical work themselves (run in an extra socket off a ring main or radial circuit for example). Isolating an oven circuit and extracting a broken light fitting does NOT require an electrician to do it unless the homeowner really doesn't feel comfortable accomplishing the task his or herself.

A pair of pliers does help though, and as she's lost hers she'll have to wait till she gets some more before doing it. "

Don't get me wrong the principle of p cert is great, I sat in on talks with presso when they talked, but then they let kitchen fitters and the like do a five day course and be able to issue, never right in a month of Sundays. By the way good to know you take your work with due respect

By *he Original TTMan
over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

Good to hear both of you are talking so much sense.

All good and glad someone else knows their stuff here! Aware that Part P is changing and has always been a bugbear of mine...

As for this task - no, doesn't NEED an electrician, unless she really is unsure about what she's doing, then the best course of action is to call in someone who does.

over a year ago

"Don't get me wrong the principle of p cert is great, I sat in on talks with presso when they talked, but then they let kitchen fitters and the like do a five day course and be able to issue, never right in a month of Sundays. By the way good to know you take your work with due respect"

I've come across some literally shocking installations out there done by so called professional electricians. If Part P helps to eliminate cowboys ripping people off with potentially life threatening installs then I'm in full support of it.

When people tell me electricity scares the life out of them I always say this:

I treat it like a caged tiger. If the gate is closed you'll be fine but leave the gate open and it will eat you.

over a year ago

"Good to hear both of you are talking so much sense.

All good and glad someone else knows their stuff here! Aware that Part P is changing and has always been a bugbear of mine...

As for this task - no, doesn't NEED an electrician, unless she really is unsure about what she's doing, then the best course of action is to call in someone who does.

"

i know wot i need to do just cant at the mo

By *he Original TTMan
over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

i know wot i need to do just cant at the mo "

That's good Minxie - just remember safety first!

over a year ago

"

its safe I have isolated it

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

its safe I have isolated it "

Does that mean you not doing my supper

over a year ago

Does that mean you not doing my supper "

errrm can use the microwave - or the hob - would either of them help??

over a year ago

"I know have visions of a wild haired woman walking round Brighton with a blackened face saying 'does anyone know what time the chippy shuts ?'"

thats me on a normal day lol and I didnt see this last nite and cant stop laughing now

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"I know have visions of a wild haired woman walking round Brighton with a blackened face saying 'does anyone know what time the chippy shuts ?'

thats me on a normal day lol and I didnt see this last nite and cant stop laughing now "

Just came back to check on you... thankfully you still seem very much alive and kicking

over a year ago

"I know have visions of a wild haired woman walking round Brighton with a blackened face saying 'does anyone know what time the chippy shuts ?'

thats me on a normal day lol and I didnt see this last nite and cant stop laughing now Just came back to check on you... thankfully you still seem very much alive and kicking "

well sort of ........... fooking oven why have I got one of those in the kitchen ......... oh yeah to feed the kids I remember now

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

errrm can use the microwave - or the hob - would either of them help?? "

Always more the company than the food

over a year ago

errrm can use the microwave - or the hob - would either of them help??

Always more the company than the food "

company I can do all the time, ovens are not my favourite subject today

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

[Removed by poster at 05/11/12 16:13:28]

over a year ago

"[Removed by poster at 05/11/12 16:13:28]"

its got me like that too - am speechless as well

over a year ago

"Think the only way to keep Minxie safe... is to completely isolate her xx"

there would still be havoc and mayhem even if I was isolated, its just so much more fun if there are others around too

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

you probably need to change your fridge lightbulb as well minxie, as i am guessing it is temperamental and doesnt work when the door is closed x

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

"you probably need to change your fridge lightbulb as well minxie, as i am guessing it is temperamental and doesnt work when the door is closed x"

Love it!!

Post new Message to Thread