Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Windows 8 ?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Anybody using it yet ?

What do you think ?

I've just managed to 'acquire' a version of Win 8 Pro and now that I've got it installed and all my bits and bobs put back into place, I quite like it.

It is taking a bit of getting used to but I think it'll be ok Just in case it does fall over, I still have the hard drive with Win 7 and all my stuff stashed away for safe keeping

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

havent got it yet but remember all the fuss of previous windows set ups at first bit werid but now I am happy with windows 7 do I want to upgrade mmmmmmm see I,m off agin lol

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

nah .. technophobe here .. these constant updates drive me nuts

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

I've not seen anything in Windows 8 that would persuade me to upgrade. The interface looks vile, like a giant Windows phone !

By *laphe1Man
over a year ago

Huddersfield

installed it and wish i hadn't its awful and confusing

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Waiting with that one until they resolved the teething problems

By *edbagioMan
over a year ago

ripon

whats it like with pics

thats one thing i strugle with getting them on forums and face book

over a year ago

Well since my copy cost me nowt, I thought I'd give it a go

It still retains most of the Win7 workings and tbh it appears that it's only the front end which has changed, ie no start menu and everything laid out in the form of 'apps'

I really don't think I'd have paid money for it, having said that I think the last version of windows that I paid for was probably v3.2 No I'm not a big fan of lining Mr Gate's pockets but if the s/w is free and the activation script works .... I'm all up for that

over a year ago

"whats it like with pics

thats one thing i strugle with getting them on forums and face book "

In what way are you struggling ? is it actually uploading the pics or something else ?

I never had any problems with Vista or Win 7 when uploading stuff but so far I've not done anything like that in Win 8

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

"installed it and wish i hadn't its awful and confusing

"

your not having much luck lately are u !!

By *edbagioMan
over a year ago

ripon

"whats it like with pics

thats one thing i strugle with getting them on forums and face book

In what way are you struggling ? is it actually uploading the pics or something else ?

I never had any problems with Vista or Win 7 when uploading stuff but so far I've not done anything like that in Win 8"

still on with xp and not a big computer buff

By *_midland_cpl_xCouple
over a year ago

birmingham

Using windows 7

But just to point this out

Windows 98 Good

Windows ME Bad

Windows xp Good

Windows vista Bad

Windows 7 Good

Windows 8 ? Lol

To follow on from the run of things windows 8 should be Bad then Windows 9 should be Good lol

over a year ago

I had to get a new laptop because my old one is on its last legs. Thought I'd ordered the new laptop with Windows 7 but for some dumb reason I managed to order one with Windows 8 instead.

Is anyone else using it yet? Any hints or tips? I'm not very good (to say the least!) with newfangled technowotsits.

over a year ago

Matt has it on his machine, speed improvements are nice but a don't like it enough to buy it, for me it feels awkward and yes I have used it but it still feels odd.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

seems ok to us I just struggle because I use so many different pcs and lap tops with different software on them that I have to stop and think what to do with each one

By *lash and BunsCouple
over a year ago

Inverclyde

New interface is crap, if it ain't broken don't fix it

over a year ago

"Using windows 7

Windows 98 Good

Windows ME Bad

Windows xp Good

Windows vista Bad

Windows 7 Good

Windows 8 ? Lol

"

This made me crack up And it's true lol I wouldn't upgrade myself to W8 until all the initial bugs are sorted. They always bring them out, receive complaints etc and then release the better/ updated version.

over a year ago

Oh no I'm doomed. Dooooooooomed!!!

By *he Happy ManMan
over a year ago

Merseyside

"Anybody using it yet ?

What do you think ?

I've just managed to 'acquire' a version of Win 8 Pro and now that I've got it installed and all my bits and bobs put back into place, I quite like it.

It is taking a bit of getting used to but I think it'll be ok Just in case it does fall over, I still have the hard drive with Win 7 and all my stuff stashed away for safe keeping "

I hate the way it looks and how you navigate it. Once you download an add on to make it look and act like win XP/Vista/7 it is a very good operating system

over a year ago

Installed it a few months ago, have to say that I find it quite easy - the start menu was getting a bit hard to use since XP, until they brought in auto-search in Vista. With Win8 that happens straight from the tile screen which is nice.

I like being able to install tablet apps on a laptop and sit them on the sidebar. Very useful for Skype especially.

Haven't had any issues with bugs or anything and seems to support all the software I had previously.

By *habsMan
over a year ago

Fortress of Solitude, Middlesex

"Using windows 7

Windows 98 Good

Windows ME Bad

Windows xp Good

Windows vista Bad

Windows 7 Good

Windows 8 ? Lol

To follow on from the run of things windows 8 should be Bad then Windows 9 should be Good lol"

My thoughts exactly! Even though £25 is affordable for the upgrade the real question is "Is it worth my time? DO I need it??"

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

I've found it a real pain in the arse. It kept trying to up date and jamming. After hours on the phone trying to fix it I was told switch off the up dates wait 6 to 8 months before turning them on as a patch will be sorted by then.... It ment doing a factory reset and losing a load of stuff...

Only got it as I needed a new lap top...

By *habsMan
over a year ago

Fortress of Solitude, Middlesex

"I've found it a real pain in the arse. It kept trying to up date and jamming. After hours on the phone trying to fix it I was told switch off the up dates wait 6 to 8 months before turning them on as a patch will be sorted by then.... It ment doing a factory reset and losing a load of stuff...

Only got it as I needed a new lap top... "

In short, they rushed the release but the rest of the missing stuff is still in testing due out 6-8 months, but they cold not wait that long to have the software hit the market. Typical microsoft!

By *edbagioMan
over a year ago

ripon

got 8 ;working fine now but the first update.

bang internet went slow as hell

working ok now;was on xp and liked that

its what you get used too'would not update just too get the newest;

over a year ago

Got a new laptop for christmas with windows8 but yet to try it as internet provider i have is taking the piss and im having to wait for yet another new router,so will get back to ya once they get their finger oot and sort oot my internet

By *olfcartweaselCouple
over a year ago

Melrose

Windows 8 changes too little and too much at the same time.

Firstly, you've got the major user interface redesign - the fullscreen tile-based thing formerly known as Metro. It's clearly designed for tablets (and is a pain in the ass for multi-tasking) but it's a bold design, and it's nice on mobile, so fine, whatever.

But then you've got the old interface too, at the same time. The "Desktop" app is where all your old Windows 7 and older apps appear, the same way you're used to them.

It's the disjointed behaviour between these two that really sucks on Win8 - for example, the list of running Win8 apps and the list of running Desktop apps are different, so you need to know which app is running where and how at all times. And major headline apps like Office aren't proper Metro/Touch either, even on a tablet - they're Windows 7 apps with a fake Windows 8 style applied.

Rather than make a new simple OS they've made a new simple OS and the old complicated OS and stapled them together badly. And in the process made something more complicated than just the old OS on its own was.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

If you want an upgrade, buy a new abacus

*courtesy of the useless information department*

over a year ago

Using it and loving it, admittedly took me a few days to get used to it but no regrets from me. It's more viable if you have a touch screen laptop or computer as that's us what it was designed for but can easily be adapted for normal use. The 'vile' windows phone look can be altered by removing apps from off the main screen or reducing the size of them so they look more like a regular smartphone, they can even be 'placed' in each other like on an iPhone creating groups of similar apps in a block.

over a year ago

"Anybody using it yet ?

What do you think ?

It is taking a bit of getting used to but I think it'll be ok Just in case it does fall over, I still have the hard drive with Win 7 and all my stuff stashed away for safe keeping "

Been using it for quite a few months and not had any problems with it, we like it.

over a year ago

So far, so good apart from IE10 has suddenly started to play up and it seems to have happened since the last auto update was installed. Haven't had the chance to uninstall the update yet to see if that's the cause - otherwise I've had no problems whatsoever with it and to be honest, it's very little different to 7 apart from the different user interface which I rarely use - I tend to revert back to the old desktop anyway

By *rightloonMan
over a year ago

Stafford

The ink on the Windows 7 boxes has barely dried....

A lot of businesses are still using XP but office 2010 (particularly outlook) is driving the need for faster hardware that is much too capable for XP.

MS is chasing Apple and has to also fend off Android and to a lesser extent Linux so rushing something out was always going to be the order of the day.

Also 7 is a shed load more secure than XP and has a slightly more polished user interface and that is about all so MS had to do something new soon.

Post new Message to Thread