Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Tomb of ancient princess unearthed

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I've just been reading an interesting article on - Czech archaeologists have unearthed the 4,500-year-old tomb of a Pharaonic princess south of Cairo..

Princess Shert Nebti's burial site is surrounded by the tombs of four high officials from the Fifth Dynasty dating to around 2,500 BC in the Abu Sir complex near the famed step pyramid of

Saqqara.

Hopefully in the long term this is good news for the people Egypt following the recent uprising... However I do wonder what the people think of their ancestral rulers graves being disturbed..

Your opinoin please Forumites

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

Ooooh, I'll have to nip off and google that to read the whole article...

I'm a big lover of Egypt, it's my dream to retire there as I love the land, the history and the people. The Egyptians rely heavily on tourism and the effects of the recent political changes has had a huge effect on their economy - when I was on the Nile last New Year, only 30 out of 300+ boats were operating - some friends have just returned and they said it's up to 50 boats now.

Whilst it's brilliant for us as tourists to go round the monuments when there's hardly anyone there, it's horrendously difficult for those who rely on our sterling/dollars/euros for a living so I think this news will be great for Egypt, and I've never had any problem with archeologists disturbing our ancestors so long as they treat all human remains respectfully, it's how we learn about the past after all

I feel a trip to Cairo coming on....

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
Post new Message to Thread