Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Feeling uncomfortable in your own country

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I did today! And not for the first time.

I work with 7 women (aren’t I lucky) and 3 of them are Polish. They quite often talk to each other in their own language despite being able to speak English very well.

Today I was on my break with three of them. They sat together talking and laughing in Polish. They didn’t speak a word of English to me.

Later on I was having a conversation with one of them when the other two appeared, middle of my conversation they began speaking in Polish. I stood in the doorway between them not sure what to say! Or what they were saying!

After the finished in my witty sense of humor I said “Are we in England or Poland” One of them jokily said “Poland” and one of the other girls said “You should learn Polish Aaron” I replied “Why we’re in England” She walked off and let the kitchen door slam shut.

I think its bloody rude of them and I felt so uncomfortable. Why should I feel like this? They are living and working in our country so should speak in out language, especially when they all can!

Has anyone else experienced this? Or felt the same?

PS Sorry for a weekend rant!

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

i dont see why they should talk in English just because they can. I can understand them feeling more confident speaking to a fellow Polish person in their native tongue. They have masde the effort to speak English for when they speak to other people, which is more than most English people do when moving abroad.

As for the throw away comment about learning Polish, you were being flippant with them, asking what country they were in, why cant they respond in the same manner?

Reply privately

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman
over a year ago

Deviant City

"i dont see why they should talk in English just because they can. I can understand them feeling more confident speaking to a fellow Polish person in their native tongue. They have masde the effort to speak English for when they speak to other people, which is more than most English people do when moving abroad.

As for the throw away comment about learning Polish, you were being flippant with them, asking what country they were in, why cant they respond in the same manner?"

100% agree

Reply privately

By *rumalexMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"i dont see why they should talk in English just because they can. I can understand them feeling more confident speaking to a fellow Polish person in their native tongue. They have masde the effort to speak English for when they speak to other people, which is more than most English people do when moving abroad.

As for the throw away comment about learning Polish, you were being flippant with them, asking what country they were in, why cant they respond in the same manner?

100% agree"

have to agree they can speak whatever language they want when they're chatting to each other

Reply privately

By *uddlesloves!Woman
over a year ago

Plymouth

I so agree with you. I used to work in a cottage hospital and there were Polish, White South African and Black South African. Each side of the South African's didn't get on and would argue in front of patients, then along came the Polish who would pretend they didn't understand if there were any issues. My own staff were insulted many times by the 3 groups of staff as mine who carried out the role of domestics and catering. After taking the insults and having them reported back by my staff I questioned the others and asked for the meanings of different words, finally getting to the bottom of the true meanings!!!..it was not pleasant to say the least. Also being told that in "their" country they did things differently. I had to explain we are here in England, the contracts worked out etc to supply a service. The hospital had many complaints from the patients who hated the fact they did not understand the foreign language of others' spoken, thinking they were being talked about. Not a nice feeling. The outcome was for the Head of the Hospital to send around memos' to state, that once entering the building the only language spoken would be English and if not it would lead to warnings and so forth. She had guts and I take my hat off to her as we were all there for one reason..The Patient.

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Where I work everyone has to speak English when in main working areas, they are allowed to speak any language on a break but when they are working they must use a language everyone can understand

Personally I think that's how it should be, noone should be alienated and if you get a group of people working speaking in a language one person can't they are excluding them from everyday work life

While they are working they are on works time so shouldn't be talking about anything they don't want others to hear anyway there for If it's work related everyone should be able to join In

I remember going in a meet once, I met a none English couple and all the way thro the drink in the pub they kept talking to each other in their own language

Asking me a question then sitting there infront if me discussing it so I couldn't understand what they was saying

I'm sorry but it is rude

I'm not English but I wouldn't dream of standing In front of people speaking another language just because I can, infact I use my own language that little most don't even know I can speak it

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

"I so agree with you. I used to work in a cottage hospital and there were Polish, White South African and Black South African. Each side of the South African's didn't get on and would argue in front of patients, then along came the Polish who would pretend they didn't understand if there were any issues. My own staff were insulted many times by the 3 groups of staff as mine who carried out the role of domestics and catering. After taking the insults and having them reported back by my staff I questioned the others and asked for the meanings of different words, finally getting to the bottom of the true meanings!!!..it was not pleasant to say the least. Also being told that in "their" country they did things differently. I had to explain we are here in England, the contracts worked out etc to supply a service. The hospital had many complaints from the patients who hated the fact they did not understand the foreign language of others' spoken, thinking they were being talked about. Not a nice feeling. The outcome was for the Head of the Hospital to send around memos' to state, that once entering the building the only language spoken would be English and if not it would lead to warnings and so forth. She had guts and I take my hat off to her as we were all there for one reason..The Patient."

fairly sure that would fall foul of equality laws to be honest! i can see them all huddled in the cleaning cupbaords having secret illegal conversations with each other, listening out for 'the man'

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I have no problem with polish people speaking polish ....I do however think it is rude when someone else is is in the same company who doesn't speak polish.

Reply privately

By *rumalexMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"I have no problem with polish people speaking polish ....I do however think it is rude when someone else is is in the same company who doesn't speak polish."

the op said they were on a break and chatting to each other in their own language, i dont see the problem

Reply privately

By *uddlesloves!Woman
over a year ago

Plymouth

My staff were English, treated like dirt by the others. When the 3 different nationals got together it was like war infront of the patients, seeing no wrong in talking in their own language with the patients worried they were saying things about them. It had to be stopped for the patients sake. All of us paid to do a job, from time of starting work to finish. What you do in your own time is your choice.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"I have no problem with polish people speaking polish ....I do however think it is rude when someone else is is in the same company who doesn't speak polish.

the op said they were on a break and chatting to each other in their own language, i dont see the problem "

You don't have to.

I answered the OP of what I thought.

Reply privately

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

"I have no problem with polish people speaking polish ....I do however think it is rude when someone else is is in the same company who doesn't speak polish."
+1

Used to work at an airport, and was called a stupid white bitch. I actually translated it for them, as I had been taught insults in different languages, at which point the passengers were very embarrased and I refused to deal with them.

I would have found it uncomfortable the women in question speaking a different language and obviously excluding you and would have asked what they were saying.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I have no problem with polish people speaking polish ....I do however think it is rude when someone else is is in the same company who doesn't speak polish.

the op said they were on a break and chatting to each other in their own language, i dont see the problem "

If they are on a break there's nothing you can do, if they are on works time the work place can demand they speak English

In this case of the OP I think it's more bad manners that the lady was talking to him then just ignored him mid conversation in order to speak to someone in her own language

Reply privately

over a year ago

the op said they were on a break and chatting to each other in their own language, i dont see the problem

You don't have to.

I answered the OP of what I thought."

Made me laugh sorry lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

Where I from there is a high concentration of Asians and they do the same thing. The factory I used to work in had a 70% Asian female workforce and they used to jabber away in their own language in the full knowledge that they wouldn't be understood by the supervisors, who were English.

When they were asked to do something they weren't keen on they would pretend they didn't understand what was being asked of them yet it was well known they could all speak English reasonably well. They never had a problem with English when bartering for a pay rise though. Strange that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

One of the worse places I encountered the same thing was in Wales.

They started occhhh-ing, ooo-ing,.thhcchh-ing when they heard an English accent.

Had something similar in Scotland and encountered the same in many asian shops.

Luckily one of the blokes I was working with was asian.and taught me a bit of lingo.

There's nothing more.satisfying than telling someoneto fuck off in their own language when you know they are talking about you in a bad way.

Reply privately

By *ones_BoothCouple
over a year ago

Solihull

"I did today! And not for the first time.

I work with 7 women (aren’t I lucky) and 3 of them are Polish. They quite often talk to each other in their own language despite being able to speak English very well.

Today I was on my break with three of them. They sat together talking and laughing in Polish. They didn’t speak a word of English to me.

Later on I was having a conversation with one of them when the other two appeared, middle of my conversation they began speaking in Polish. I stood in the doorway between them not sure what to say! Or what they were saying!

After the finished in my witty sense of humor I said “Are we in England or Poland” One of them jokily said “Poland” and one of the other girls said “You should learn Polish Aaron” I replied “Why we’re in England” She walked off and let the kitchen door slam shut.

I think its bloody rude of them and I felt so uncomfortable. Why should I feel like this? They are living and working in our country so should speak in out language, especially when they all can!

"

go to HR, ask them to show you the policies, if you are made to feel uncomfortable, it is their duty of care to sort it out, would go into the ins and outs, but its a minefield, but you dont have to suffer

Reply privately

over a year ago

I agree with the OP, sorry but they shouldd seak in English if they can, and if one is speaking in english then other two shouldnt be rude to cut into the conversation in Polish.

This country is England, English is the native language, and should be primary language used in socisl situations.

Whenever i visit any other country, i attempt to learn some of there language, even if its just badics, as feel its polite and respectful to speak in their primary language, and the same respect should be adopted to our country.

Sorry, English and proud

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Where I work everyone has to speak English when in main working areas, they are allowed to speak any language on a break but when they are working they must use a language everyone can understand

Personally I think that's how it should be, noone should be alienated and if you get a group of people working speaking in a language one person can't they are excluding them from everyday work life

While they are working they are on works time so shouldn't be talking about anything they don't want others to hear anyway there for If it's work related everyone should be able to join In

I remember going in a meet once, I met a none English couple and all the way thro the drink in the pub they kept talking to each other in their own language

Asking me a question then sitting there infront if me discussing it so I couldn't understand what they was saying

I'm sorry but it is rude

I'm not English but I wouldn't dream of standing In front of people speaking another language just because I can, infact I use my own language that little most don't even know I can speak it "

I agree with you. I am not English either but would dream of excluding anybody by speaking in my mother tongue. At home with family it is different but even then we all speak English the moment there is an English speaking person around.

I will say though that a group of whatever nationality gathered briefly for a natter in their mother tongue would not worry me as long as it was reasonable and not used to exclude others.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Where I work everyone has to speak English when in main working areas, they are allowed to speak any language on a break but when they are working they must use a language everyone can understand

I'm sorry but it is rude

I'm not English but I wouldn't dream of standing In front of people speaking another language just because I can, infact I use my own language that little most don't even know I can speak it

I agree with you. I am not English either but would dream of excluding anybody by speaking in my mother tongue. At home with family it is different but even then we all speak English the moment there is an English speaking person around.

I will say though that a group of whatever nationality gathered briefly for a natter in their mother tongue would not worry me as long as it was reasonable and not used to exclude others. "

* Would not dream of excluding anybody*

Reply privately

over a year ago

"go to HR, ask them to show you the policies, if you are made to feel uncomfortable, it is their duty of care to sort it out, would go into the ins and outs, but its a minefield, but you dont have to suffer"

Remember though: you still have to work there, and with the same people. Report them and they'll ostracise you because they don't like you, and that can't be legislated against. Nobody can force someone to talk to someone else if they genuinely don't like them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Where I from there is a high concentration of Asians and they do the same thing. The factory I used to work in had a 70% Asian female workforce and they used to jabber away in their own language in the full knowledge that they wouldn't be understood by the supervisors, who were English.

When they were asked to do something they weren't keen on they would pretend they didn't understand what was being asked of them yet it was well known they could all speak English reasonably well. They never had a problem with English when bartering for a pay rise though. Strange that.

"

I almost sacked someone for that

All this 'me no understand' rubbish

I told him if he couldn't speak English he would have to go as i can't have people working in the ware house who can't understand the the rules as it was against health and safety and it would be my neck on the line if he had a ascendant

He learnt English perfectly in about 15 seconds

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Where I from there is a high concentration of Asians and they do the same thing. The factory I used to work in had a 70% Asian female workforce and they used to jabber away in their own language in the full knowledge that they wouldn't be understood by the supervisors, who were English.

I almost sacked someone for that

All this 'me no understand' rubbish

I told him if he couldn't speak English he would have to go as i can't have people working in the ware house who can't understand the the rules as it was against health and safety and it would be my neck on the line if he had a ascendant

He learnt English perfectly in about 15 seconds "

Accident even lol damn phone

Reply privately

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

surely in the interested of all in health & safety they should understand english?.

i work on heathrow airport which has many nationalities too numerous to mention!,but on the engineering & construction site there are many eastern europeans and some of them wear the lettering 'translator'on the hi viz vests we have to wear but sometimes when there are a crowd of poles or rumanians chattering away in own languages as we are constructing modules one of the guys will kindly explain to me what is being talked about when they see my puzzled expression.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I get the language thing sometimes at my gfs house as her parents sometimes speak Sinhalese, sometimes it's just easier for them to explain something in their home tongue. Doesn't bother me as my gf will translate if it's important. I am also trying to learn but it's a hard language!

However in the case of the OP, if I was mid convo with someone and they then started talking a different language I would be quite offended.

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

To be fair if an English speaking person started to talk to someone else whilst I was mid conversation I'd be pissed to so I don't see what language has to do with it.

Manners transcend language surely?

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

I have been thinking about this a bit more and maybe it is again one of those situations where there is no hard and fast rule. Sometimes it is perfectly ok for a group of people speaking their mother tongue within another liguistic community and it does not cause offense... other times it feels exclusive, rude and even divisive. I guess like in many situtations what is needed is a bit of sensitivity from both sides?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"To be fair if an English speaking person started to talk to someone else whilst I was mid conversation I'd be pissed to so I don't see what language has to do with it.

Manners transcend language surely? "

of course it does

but lets be honest if you was talking to someone at work and someone else wanted them who was english the chances are they was say excuse me for butting in or words to that affec,t to you before doing so, or maybe even include you in the new conversation

or at least the people i work with would

Reply privately

By *ngelbiTVTV/TS
over a year ago

Dyserth, North Wales

I have to agree that they can speak whatever language they want.

My mum is from Mauritius and my dad was English. He banned my mum from speaking French to me and my sister when we were babies.

He later apologised for his narrow minded view.

Besides, the English are the only people who go to holiday resorts where the natives have to speak English because of our lack of respect trying to learn another language.

Angel xx

Reply privately

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

I dont think there is a problem communicating in any language people wish.But to change suddenly when in an existing conversation with someone like the OP witnessed is a bit rude.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"..the English are the only people who go to holiday resorts where the natives have to speak English because of our lack of respect trying to learn another language.

Angel xx"

Woah! I take umbrage at that. It's hardly our fault that other languages are not actively encouraged when we're children. Sure we get basic French as school but at home we're not encouraged to learn other languages BECAUSE English is so widely spoken elsewhere. It has nothing to do with lack of respect for other countries and cultures.

Reply privately

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

am i correct in thinking that english is the language used by pilots & air traffic control throughout the world?.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"am i correct in thinking that english is the language used by pilots & air traffic control throughout the world?."

It became mandatory after the Tenerife air crash, which was down to the pilot of the Dutch KLM aircraft not being able to understand Spanish. Even though both controller and pilot could speak English, neither of them thought to do so.

Reply privately

By *ngelbiTVTV/TS
over a year ago

Dyserth, North Wales

I was taught German at school but in my travels I've learned to order food, drinks, ask directions and buy tickets for trains, trams and boats in French, Flemish, Spanish & Italian.

It's not much and I probably look a bit stupid with my pronunciations but I'm hoping they at least thought I tried my best.

Reply privately

over a year ago

100% with you they should speak english or fuck off back to poland

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I have to agree that they can speak whatever language they want.

My mum is from Mauritius and my dad was English. He banned my mum from speaking French to me and my sister when we were babies.

Besides, the English are the only people who go to holiday resorts where the natives have to speak English because of our lack of respect trying to learn another language.

Angel xx"

but we are not talking on holiday we are talking living

if someone came here on holiday i wouldnt expect them to learn english for 2 weeks!

my parents came over here in the early 70s and they could speak english well enough to get by but over the years they have picked it up by speaking it, the only way you will learn is by talking it, keep speaking in your owen language all the time and you'll never get any better

if your living in a country you should learn the language and speak it

sorry if my views offend anyone but that just how i see it

Reply privately

By *ngelbiTVTV/TS
over a year ago

Dyserth, North Wales

Angel xx

if someone came here on holiday i wouldnt expect them to learn english for 2 weeks!

my parents came over here in the early 70s and they could speak english well enough to get by but over the years they have picked it up by speaking it, the only way you will learn is by talking it, keep speaking in your owen language all the time and you'll never get any better

sorry if my views offend anyone but that just how i see it"

I disagree lol

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

" ..the English are the only people who go to holiday resorts where the natives have to speak English because of our lack of respect trying to learn another language.

Angel xx

Woah! I take umbrage at that. It's hardly our fault that other languages are not actively encouraged when we're children. Sure we get basic French as school but at home we're not encouraged to learn other languages BECAUSE English is so widely spoken elsewhere. It has nothing to do with lack of respect for other countries and cultures."

The business of just teaching basic (or even advanced) French is very out of date in Scotland.

There's huge emphasis on teaching Spanish and either Cantonese or Mandarin. These are the languages, after English, which are growing faster in population and commercial terms.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Angel xx

sorry if my views offend anyone but that just how i see it

I disagree lol "

didnt see that one coming

Reply privately

By * starr -Woman
over a year ago

Burton on Trent.

why cant they get jobs in their own countries?

or feck off to america or australia, its only cus we provide so much, that they come over here.

no wonder there arent any jobs for the kids coming out of school uni etc or parents.

kick em out and let us have some of our jobs and housing back.

Reply privately

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

when i have worked in holland germany or belgium i have always got my phrase book out to order my breakfast at work in the local language,at night too i used to learn how to order my meals and beers in the local language and it used to be appreciated even though i might have got it slightly wrong,in holland i could even get mashed potato with my evening meals instead of bloody french fries with everything!.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"why cant they get jobs in their own countries?

or feck off to america or australia, its only cus we provide so much, that they come over here.

no wonder there arent any jobs for the kids coming out of school uni etc or parents.

kick em out and let us have some of our jobs and housing back. "

jobs are open for everyone

English people have the same chance as anyone else of getting them

most companies just take on the polish etc cause they are willing to do more hours and, has to be said are harder workers

Reply privately

By *irtyAndCh33kyCouple
over a year ago

North Wales

'they' come over here to do the jobs that the 'British Jeremy Vile watching brigade' are to damn lazy to do!

These jobs would still be vacant if people didn't come into the uk to do them as our benefit system makes life far too easy

Mrs Dirty

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Angel xx"

And the Russians, French, Germans, Americans, Italians..... Oh sod it.... Stick a pin in an atlas....

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Housing you have to be Eligable for so its not a given right that they will be given housing... Jobs they apply for jobs that British people think they are too good for or they just want to stay on the dole for the rest of their lives...

Reply privately

over a year ago

*Sigh...*

Reply privately

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

"

'they' come over here to do the jobs that the 'British Jeremy Vile watching brigade' are to damn lazy to do!

These jobs would still be vacant if people didn't come into the uk to do them as our benefit system makes life far too easy

Mrs Dirty "

it's not strictly true that 'these' jobs are open to brits as well because the majority of companies find they can drop the rate of pay to the foreign workers far too easy,the rsult in engineering & construction nowadays is no overtime rate for weekend work!,no lodging allowance when working away from home!,i know as i am one of those construction workers affected by the foreign invasion.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

most companies just take on the polish etc cause they are willing to do more hours and, has to be said are harder workers"

Often more hours than are allowed by law.

Reply privately

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

Faaaaaaarkin ell mate!

If I eard those farkin carnts talkin in their farkin Swahili jibberish I wuduv given em all a slap. Espeshully the wimin!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mrs Dirty "

we have a lot of eastern europeans where i work and they will work over xmas, new year, easter, dont want time off in school hoidays, happy to do saturday night, do over time at short notice etc

you get a english person willing to do that, thats why they get the jobs

i have just taken on 8 seasonal stuff for the xmas period and all are eastern europeans because i know they will do the hours im after

i interviewed English people too but noone wanted to do boxing day, new years day etc and they are our busiest days, whats the point in going for a seasonal job if you dont want to work the seasonal period yet they still expect to get the work and moan when you give it 'foreigners'

Reply privately

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

most companies just take on the polish etc cause they are willing to do more hours and, has to be said are harder workers

Often more hours than are allowed by law."

on heathrow airport twice a gang of polish workers that should have been working with us brits were found sleeping in a BAA area that contractors were ot allowed to go into,they managed both times to hang onto the jobs!.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Nothing changes. These days it's eastern Europeans, asylum seekers and Asians. Previously it was the Carribeans and the Irish.

I'm reminded of the song 'Any Mick'll do' It goes

"Cause any Mick'll do, any black, any Jew

Any poor wee bastard who's not like you

They're down from the trees and they're up from the bogs

They come round here and they steal your jobs

They're all the bloody same - just no' the same as you

And when a scapegoat's what you need - any Mick'll do"

Reply privately

over a year ago

Often more hours than are allowed by law."

the law says you must have 11 hours between shifts

so you can work 13 hours a day 7 days a week, not many people do more than that

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

so you can work 13 hours a day 7 days a week, not many people do more than that"

How many people have to suffer from gangmasters before it becomes a problem?

Reply privately

By * starr -Woman
over a year ago

Burton on Trent.

some of us could and will work weekends etc, its just i struggle to find jobs suitable for my needs and lots i am not qualified for.

Reply privately

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

"

so you can work 13 hours a day 7 days a week, not many people do more than that"

i have done many times spent weeks doing 12 hour shifts over 7 days on refinery shutdowns to get the calciner turned round and firedup,but they get foreign workers in now to do the work withlesss pay!,no lodge allowance!,thats why construction is in turmoul becaue of the BOGOF you buy one foreign worker & get one free!.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think its very rude. My family is Polish and I speak it fluently. The only time we ever spoke it was when we were alone.

That being said, its a beautiful language and an incredibly close knit and interesting culture.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"One of the worse places I encountered the same thing was in Wales.

They started occhhh-ing, ooo-ing,.thhcchh-ing when they heard an English accent.

Luckily one of the blokes I was working with was asian.and taught me a bit of lingo.

There's nothing more.satisfying than telling someoneto fuck off in their own language when you know they are talking about you in a bad way."

just to point out to you that Wales is in the United kingdom as is Scotland and the welsh have our own language wich we are very proud of as you are proud of you're mother tongue when you are in another coutry you should respect that country's language.

Reply privately

over a year ago

How many people have to suffer from gangmasters before it becomes a problem?"

thought we was talking about foreigners who take jobs from the English people?

Gang masters are totally illegal and not what i would class as taking a job from the english

plus most people who work for them are in this countrey illegally thats why they work for them but thats another thread

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

becaue of the BOGOF you buy one foreign worker & get one free!."

do they work like that if you shag them too

Reply privately

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

Havent read all the replies because I cant be bothered

The women were being ignorant! Carrying on a conversation with the OP stood amongst them, knowing he never spoke Polish, was just downrite rude!

Understandable if they couldnt speak english, but according to the OP they speak it very well....

Reply privately

over a year ago

There's nothing more.satisfying than telling someoneto fuck off in their own language when you know they are talking about you in a bad way."

I've done that so many times. I don't have an accent, as I was born here, but speak fluent Polish. I've been in situations when I've spoken to them initially in English, they've then started bad mouthing me to their mates in Polish. I then interior them in Polish and play merry hell with them. I now get excellent service at the hand car wash!

Reply privately

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

"

becaue of the BOGOF you buy one foreign worker & get one free!.

do they work like that if you shag them too "

will ask for you on monday!,see if any interested in coming to see you.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

How many people have to suffer from gangmasters before it becomes a problem?

thought we was talking about foreigners who take jobs from the English people?

Gang masters are totally illegal and not what i would class as taking a job from the english

plus most people who work for them are in this countrey illegally thats why they work for them but thats another thread "

That's to wholly misunderstand the nature of gangmasters. They're no better than pimps, whoremaisters might be a better description of them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I love it when a thread basically about manners becomes a thread about immigration lol...

I tend not to think the worst of people, if they are chatting in their own language...I'd check for body language if I felt it was deliberately targeted to myself in the negative way

The girls in this case were rude to re-converse into polish

I'd rather not hear bigoted shite as I've read above in some of the posts

Reply privately

over a year ago

"some of us could and will work weekends etc, its just i struggle to find jobs suitable for my needs and lots i am not qualified for. "

Damn these foreigners for ruining your chances. How dare they be more qualified than you and have needs that are less 'special' than yours.

They should be sent home at once.

Reply privately

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"I love it when a thread basically about manners becomes a thread about immigration lol...

I tend not to think the worst of people, if they are chatting in their own language...I'd check for body language if I felt it was deliberately targeted to myself in the negative way

The girls in this case were rude to re-converse into polish

I'd rather not hear bigoted shite as I've read above in some of the posts"

I'm impressed it lasted as long as it did before the racists made their inevitable appearance.

You just know how these threads end, as a black person I expect it...but I don't feel "uncomfortable".

My sister is married to an Italian. My brother-in-law feels "embarrassed" with his English which is 100% better than my Italian. Their daughter is Brazilian and speaks a strange mixture of all three languages.

They spent the summer with me. My sister and I would be chatting away merrily in our own "language", one we learnt from our dad and only my sisters and I now know...it dies with us.

It was probably "rude" of us, but we automatically reverted to what we were comfortable with, we haven't seen each other in years. It could also have been "rude" my sister and her family chatting away together in Italian excluding me. But you know what, I recognise it's easier to speak in a different language, it doesn't always mean people are rude, trying to exclude you with sinister motives.

Reply privately

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"some of us could and will work weekends etc, its just i struggle to find jobs suitable for my needs and lots i am not qualified for.

Damn these foreigners for ruining your chances. How dare they be more qualified than you and have needs that are less 'special' than yours.

They should be sent home at once. "

Cheek of Johnny Foreigner knows no bounds!

Reply privately

By *inge61Couple
over a year ago

n/wales

we tell the English. all the time but they don't like it if we speak Welsh and its the oldest language in Europe not like English lol

Reply privately

By *ikeriderMan
over a year ago

prestatyn

"

You had a problem with people speaking their own language in their own country??

Reply privately

over a year ago

I do feel a little uncomfy when i am in a shop and people are talking in a foreign tongue... i am used to it abroad of course but not really comfy with it over in my own country. Not really sure why..just feel uncomfy... i am sure there not ridiculing me .. just feels wrong to me i guess.

Reply privately

over a year ago

If they are on a break they can speak whichever language they choose. If working it should be English. However if you felt awkward, I think being flippant was the wrong way to go. Perhaps a little discussion with them about how it made you feel would have went down a bit better. If still unhappy, see your line manager or HR re policies, and ask for a clarification if not in policies.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Unless it was Gaelic, its generally english spoken in scotland, theres strong localised accents but its English spoken.

Once got on a plane from Frankfurt to Edinburgh and the man about to sit next to me cool as you like asked if i spoke german or english, in order to talk to me, we are a lazy nation when it comes to learning another language.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You had a problem with people speaking their own language in their own country?? "

Not their language, their attitude.

Speaking English and then speaking Welsh when they heard an English accent.

No problem to me, just found it uncomfortable.

Reply privately

over a year ago

poor you. i would just ignore them.

maybe try and find another job.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Being rude is unfortunately acceptable in today's society. And people accept it and even defend it, which is even worse.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Why does this country have to change its laws, way of life and provide funds to non nationals? other countries do not do it why should we?

When we go abroad we accept their way of life we deserve the same rights here.

Reply privately

over a year ago

u felt uncomfortable in that situation not ur country. they prolly just see it as socializing among themselves in their native tongue

if ur uncomfortable with it in the workplace have a word. communications key

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Why does this country have to change its laws, way of life and provide funds to non nationals? other countries do not do it why should we?

When we go abroad we accept their way of life we deserve the same rights here."

Reply privately

over a year ago

"poor you. i would just ignore them.

maybe try and find another job."

I have and couldn't be happier

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bear in mind I am a first generation immigrant who have lived in this country for over 30 years, so my views on the matter may be somewhat controversial.

When I came here in 1979 to go to school, my school mates informed me that they did not the foreign girls talking in their own languages in their presence, as they would think they were talking about them.

So I did not, except when I wanted to wind them up, and I would warn them I was winding them up in advance.

As soon as I stepped off the plane, something in the air made me wanted to stay in this country forever, and that was exactly what I had done.

For the first couple of years, I would fly back to the Far East to spend my summer holiday. Then the trips home became less frequent as I preferred to spend time here instead.

I missed the TV programmes and celebrity culture of the time. However, the more I spent time in this country, the less I missed them.

The trips back home became less frequent as I preferred to spend my time in this country.

Some of the foreign girls would fly back to the homes every long holiday at Christmas and Easter etc...

They would congregate and speak in their own language every break time, excluding everyone else.

I did not join in, as I did not like them to start with. Their topics of conversations bored me, and found I had nothing in common with them.

Some would shout on top of their voices in their own language to each other down a busy corridor, much to my and others annoyance, as we all thought it was bloody rude.

My EFL teacher at the time advised me to work on my accent in order to get ahead in this world if I were to settle in this country, such as the teachings of the day. So I did.

When I went to uni in London, the college where I studied had a number of students from the Far East, and they would venture to Chinatown frequently.

Although they would often invite others to join them, they seldom did, for the main reason that they often converse in their own languages to the exclusion of the others. Again, I find their topics of conversations bored me, so I did not mingle with them.

The immigration rules etc. changed shortly after I came here, making the length of stay no longer a guarantee to

full citizenship.

And the length of stay would exclude time spent at educational institutions.

However, there were stories abound about each person's case being given individual considerations, and the rules were not set in stone etc...

Hence I braved a trip to Lunar House in Croydon where immigration matters for foreign nationals were handled, after having stayed in this country for 10 years, with a 9 month break when I was tricked to return to the Far East by my parents as they did not want me to spend my gap year in this country, and told me my dad was ill!

I collected my number and waited patiently for my turn.

I was asked by the gentleman handling my case why I wanted to remain in this country, and I replied I liked it here, and was self-sufficient with a good job and qualification etc...

He disappeared, and returned about 20 minutes later and said I had been granted permanent residency and could apply for full citizenship in a years time!

I had this grin on my face for the rest of the day as I was so happy! I rang my folks straight away on reverse charge using a public phone at Lunar House to tell them the good news!

I am of the opinion that if one adopts another country as his/her home, then he/she should at least try to mix in with the locals and adopt the language and customs etc., especially if they are young enough to be able to adopt the changes.

For those that are older, I can appreciate why it is harder for them to adopt the change. My mum still finds it hard after having lived in Canada for over 20 years. However, she did not try very hard and mingled mainly with peeps from the Far East.

I guess it is the "safety in numbers" mentality.

Whereas I never feel the need to mingle with my own kind in order to feel safe while living in this country.

So back to the original topic, yes I too believe it is rude to converse in a different language in front of other people, unless one is on vacation in a different country.

There you go. My very personal views based on events of my past, and yes, I am an odd ball.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mrs Dirty "

Totally agree I've wiped shitty arses scrubbed toilets never not been able to find a job my friends are all far too good for now apparently I've been so lucky getting the job I have now !!!!! Wtf 3 kids full time college 3 part time jobs and my own business before I got my dream job which was 3 year apprenticeship shite money no support studying still being mum out the house all day stressed out my box oh yeah it all came so easy to me !!!!! Rage get off your asses and stop blaming everyone and anyone else for your own laziness

For the record 10th generation scot haven't traced family tree back any further

Reply privately

over a year ago

They started occhhh-ing, ooo-ing,.thhcchh-ing when they heard an English person."

Now that's a stereotype gone bad ...

You were an English person in another country - Wales - do they have a perfect right to speak Welsh.

And to reduce it to "ochhing" us insulting

That said it us rude of them to blank a person.

I'm an englishman who's lived half my adult life in wales, work in a country that its proud to celebrate it's cultural heritage.my place of work is bi lingual, and I freely admit to struggling to learn Welsh, but that doesn't prevent me from learning a few phrases and getting to get by.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

On my phone and struggling to quote it.

But I love what Pearl said just above.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Apology for the massive post!

It is a subject that is very close to my heart as one can tell!

Reply privately

over a year ago

When i worked in a nursing home we had three brilliant care assistants from China and i just thought it was majorly ignorant of them when they spoke in mandarin infront of the clients. I used to explain to clients/residents of the home what id do to them as i was about to do it and would never talk over a client or even to another collegue about personal life. my time with the patient was quality time with them so it was conversations involving them, reflect on their life and asking them things.

Frustrated me when id hear them talk in mandarin to each other when they would work as a double up pair.

Reply privately

over a year ago

They started occhhh-ing, ooo-ing,.thhcchh-ing when they heard an English person.

Now that's a stereotype gone bad ...

You were an English person in another country - Wales - do they have a perfect right to speak Welsh.

And to reduce it to "ochhing" us insulting

That said it us rude of them to blank a person.

I'm an englishman who's lived half my adult life in wales, work in a country that its proud to celebrate it's cultural heritage.my place of work is bi lingual, and I freely admit to struggling to learn Welsh, but that doesn't prevent me from learning a few phrases and getting to get by..... "

It was their attitude, not their language I commented on (as stated earlier)

I speak a few phrases in different languages and also a little sign language to help with the job I was doing at the time.

Too many of us are jumping to conclusions without knowing the true facts about someone.

Reply privately

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

Kate is half Polish, we've been together for 32yrs and I still don't have a clue what she yapping on about

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

You should try going to Spain and spend some time with the vast majority of English ex pats who haven't even made an effort to learn Spanish and expect everything to be translated into English. The thought of groups of English speaking in Spanish to each other in Spain is wishfullness in the extreme. Why should your Polish colleagues act different to the English in Spain. Try thinking about what you might do, not just what you expect.

Reply privately

By *upitersmileCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

"Bear in mind I am a first generation immigrant who have lived in this country for over 30 years, so my views on the matter may be somewhat controversial.

When I came here in 1979 to go to school, my school mates informed me that they did not the foreign girls talking in their own languages in their presence, as they would think they were talking about them.

So I did not, except when I wanted to wind them up, and I would warn them I was winding them up in advance.

As soon as I stepped off the plane, something in the air made me wanted to stay in this country forever, and that was exactly what I had done.

For the first couple of years, I would fly back to the Far East to spend my summer holiday. Then the trips home became less frequent as I preferred to spend time here instead.

I missed the TV programmes and celebrity culture of the time. However, the more I spent time in this country, the less I missed them.

The trips back home became less frequent as I preferred to spend my time in this country.

Some of the foreign girls would fly back to the homes every long holiday at Christmas and Easter etc...

They would congregate and speak in their own language every break time, excluding everyone else.

I did not join in, as I did not like them to start with. Their topics of conversations bored me, and found I had nothing in common with them.

Some would shout on top of their voices in their own language to each other down a busy corridor, much to my and others annoyance, as we all thought it was bloody rude.

My EFL teacher at the time advised me to work on my accent in order to get ahead in this world if I were to settle in this country, such as the teachings of the day. So I did.

When I went to uni in London, the college where I studied had a number of students from the Far East, and they would venture to Chinatown frequently.

Although they would often invite others to join them, they seldom did, for the main reason that they often converse in their own languages to the exclusion of the others. Again, I find their topics of conversations bored me, so I did not mingle with them.

The immigration rules etc. changed shortly after I came here, making the length of stay no longer a guarantee to

full citizenship.

However, there were stories abound about each person's case being given individual considerations, and the rules were not set in stone etc...

Hence I braved a trip to Lunar House in Croydon where immigration matters for foreign nationals were handled, after having stayed in this country for 10 years, with a 9 month break when I was tricked to return to the Far East by my parents as they did not want me to spend my gap year in this country, and told me my dad was ill!

I was asked by the gentleman handling my case why I wanted to remain in this country, and I replied I liked it here, and was self-sufficient with a good job and qualification etc...

He disappeared, and returned about 20 minutes later and said I had been granted permanent residency and could apply for full citizenship in a years time!

I had this grin on my face for the rest of the day as I was so happy! I rang my folks straight away on reverse charge using a public phone at Lunar House to tell them the good news!

I am of the opinion that if one adopts another country as his/her home, then he/she should at least try to mix in with the locals and adopt the language and customs etc., especially if they are young enough to be able to adopt the changes.

For those that are older, I can appreciate why it is harder for them to adopt the change. My mum still finds it hard after having lived in Canada for over 20 years. However, she did not try very hard and mingled mainly with peeps from the Far East.

Whereas I never feel the need to mingle with my own kind in order to feel safe while living in this country.

So back to the original topic, yes I too believe it is rude to converse in a different language in front of other people, unless one is on vacation in a different country.

There you go. My very personal views based on events of my past, and yes, I am an odd ball.

"

That's an amazing story, you should be proud!

I myself have mixed views on the whole imagination topic which is why I have stayed off this thread. But I do agree with th OP that these women were being very ignorant changing to their own language mid conversation.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I understand the OP feeling uncomfortable, especially when his conversation was interrupted and he was excluded from the chat that followed. BUT, I do believe that foreigners who have taken the effort to learn our language, should be given the right to talk in their mother tongue when in their own company, and when they're not in a situation that would be deemed as ill mannered.

I'm picking up Polish on the sly as we have a high concentration here, that'll prove both valuable AND entertaining I'm sure!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Why does this country have to change its laws, way of life and provide funds to non nationals? other countries do not do it why should we?

When we go abroad we accept their way of life we deserve the same rights here."

You must be joking - British ex pats are the very worst of all. The Spanish tolerate them but the French make more demands - it still does not stop the Brits "sticking together" wherever in the world they choose to live. The vast majority of Brits leave school with a poor technical understanding of the English language and the thought of them speaking and conversing in anything other than their local dialect of English is laudible.

Reply privately

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

Has anyone holidayed in North Wales?

Enough said

Reply privately

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"Kate is half Polish, we've been together for 32yrs and I still don't have a clue what she yapping on about "

Yeah but that's called selective hearing...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I do feel a little uncomfy when i am in a shop and people are talking in a foreign tongue... i am used to it abroad of course but not really comfy with it over in my own country. Not really sure why..just feel uncomfy... i am sure there not ridiculing me .. just feels wrong to me i guess."

You should have been here with Romans paid us a visit and stayed for around 450 years. Didn't understand a bloody word. They buggered off and we got a load of Frenchies next and I'd just about got used to the Romans...

Reply privately

over a year ago

To this day, I honestly believe I managed to get permanent residency so soon because they felt I had integrated, with a professional qualification, and a good job and a good career ahead of me, and was able to support myself without sponging off the state etc...

Reply privately

over a year ago

While on business in Florence, I went to a very nice restaurant recommended by the concierge of the hotel, famed for their beef rib steaks.

There was a very loud mouth American couple who complained loudly about their steak being raw and inedible, having sent it back to the kitchen for further cooking twice etc., to another table of their fellow countrymen a few tables away, much to the annoyance of the other diners.

This is not about being ignorant. It is about having bad manners.

OK, it is ignorant on their part not to realise Europeans such as the French and Italian do not kill their meat until they are dry and completely dead!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Housing you have to be Eligable for so its not a given right that they will be given housing... Jobs they apply for jobs that British people think they are too good for or they just want to stay on the dole for the rest of their lives... "

Yeah kick them all out, and then this wonderful country would grind to a halt.

All the jobs that are too 'below us' are quickly snapped up by 'foreigners' who are more than prepared to do them, for longer hours.

Ps to the OP, perhaps they were taking the piss out of you lol and maybe you don't really want to hear what was really said.

Let it go, I wouldn"t worry about it, or pop along to your local car wash, supermarket, pub or call in an electrician or plumber and learn polish from them lol

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I'd never speak my mother tongue in the presence of someone who can't understand.

I'd whisper behind my hand, point and laugh like fuck.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's just rude , we've got a warehouse full of poles and all the drivers are English, but its only a few of them that chat away in polish , tbh I think its more because there English isn't that good.

One day white and English will be a minority , anyway last time Europeans all stuck to there own countrys WWll happened ,so maybe its better we all intermingle lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

When I holiday abroad, I would avoid places where the Brits and other English-speaking nationals congregate, as I want to experience another culture etc...

I like to eat and drink where the locals frequent.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I was uncomfortable with the title of this thread.

English is mostly spoken worldwide as it's forced on other countries. Learning another language should be compulsory in this country as we live in diverse communities.

As for the jobs rant...Well, I agree with Passionfruit as my grandparents helped Great Britain to be Great!

Reply privately

over a year ago

English is my second language!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Its the same as the school children a lot of the children come to school not being able to speak English most Secondary schools now have English as a second language as we would say French or German but I think while in School they should be made to speak English at all times. They can speak their own language at home.

But here is a question when you are away on holiday say Spain how many of us choose to learn or use that language. Or do you just shout and point o what you want.

Most countries have English as a second language from birth or a young age but England does'nt and I think its very lazy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Its the same as the school children a lot of the children come to school not being able to speak English most Secondary schools now have English as a second language as we would say French or German but I think while in School they should be made to speak English at all times. They can speak their own language at home.

But here is a question when you are away on holiday say Spain how many of us choose to learn or use that language. Or do you just shout and point o what you want.

Most countries have English as a second language from birth or a young age but England does'nt and I think its very lazy. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

I learned French to AS level standard, with the intention to immigrate to Belgium or France.

So I do not need to point and shout, I can actually read menus.

I can also read menus in Italian.

Before I go on holiday in a foreign country, one of the preparations that I do is to learn a few words of the local lingo, and to learn about their local cuisines, so that I know what to order when presented with a menu.

I would often ask for a menu in the local language to start with, to see how I get on. If I struggle, I would then ask for help.

I don't eat steak or fried eggs and chips when I go on holiday for certain.

Reply privately

over a year ago

And yes, I too believe English speaking nationals who cannot be bothered to learn another language in the believe that English is widely spoken is somewhat lazy.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I'm not lazy, I'm busy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm not lazy, I'm busy.

"

That's what I say when asked why I do not tidy the house.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Me too ....

It's also why I don't exercise

I'm too busy to die at the moment too ....

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am too busy to be ill!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I had the good fortune to work in many countries around the world encountering a vast array of languages and cultures…

The multi national industry in which I worked, would often employ local labour to work alongside us non-nationals.

Most official matters relating to our business operation necessitated being conducted in English, however there was never any imposition placed on locals to speak only English.

Most of us non-locals the would attempt to learn enough of the native languages to show our respect and appreciation for their hospitality and would always attempt to include this in conversations involving mixed nationalities …

There were however exceptions to this and needless to say these people were usually arrogant obnoxious xenophobic arse-wipes,,,,,,

and my point for explianing all this is?

Well... there was no point to it really!

sigh.......

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

If they're in their own company speak Polish but if they are in the company of non-Polish speaker that's just plain rude.

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

My mum is a foreigner.. (Danish) My dad is English. My mum came to England back in the 70's as she had a obtained a place to be trained by one of England's best event rider. My mum stayed in England for the period in which time she met my dad.. My mum hated it here as her English was not that great but she was learning it everyday.. People made her feel unwelcome.

My mum and dad got married.. My dad had to chase her from here to Denmark to win my mothers heart. They came back and got married and my mum set up a small business selling horses. The business grew nd grew..

Now go on 30 odd years with my mum now of retirement age.. Paid taxes paid NI to be told that she is entitled to 2p a month pension. My mum then went to Denmark a country she has not lived in in over 30 years told her here is £400 a month pension.. My mum has never clsimed off the state in all the time she has been living here.. It made me sad to think that is all what my mum is worth is 2p..

Foreigners are not entitled to housing you have to be eligable and there are strict rules around that.. Yes there are a lot coming through the housing system and my thoughts on why they come through will be my thoughts (Mainly about overcrowding as they are having multiple kids). I believe that foreigners are helping the ecomeny to an extend and if they want to speak their native tongue then so be it. Of course they need to learn English the same way as I learnt Danish its just a bot easier to get along.. However I have never felt uncomfortable over here as being a UK citizen.. I just jump right in and if no one likes it then tough..

We need to be understanding to the fact that England does have more relaxed immigration than other countries. When I went to live in the US I thought I was signing up to MI5 the amount of stuff that you needed to do..

Reply privately

over a year ago

I never understand all this 'our' country thing anyway to be honest

My parents came to England in the 70s when i was 3 year old, they came over with money and had a house and a buisness to run, they have never claimed off the state, or had council accommodating

I have worked here all my life, i have never claimed benifits, ive always worked or been at uni, even when i was in education i worked part time i didnt have claims grants

my eldest children who are 18 and 20 are both in collage/uni and work part time to support themselves

i was bought up not to rely on others for money and we have all always worked and paid into this country

which is a lot more than can be said for a hell of a lot of English people

so how does it make it any more their country than mine

people tell you to bugger off back home, which i get a lot living in a BNP area, but they dont mind claiming dole money paid by our taxes

thats my saturday morning rant whats for breaky lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

I personally have not experienced any prejudice towards me because of my race ever since I set foot in this country.

I am not one of those who would let anyone roll over me for whatever reason, and believe that comes through quite clearly in my behaviour, attitude and speech.

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

My sister only gets chance to speak english when she comes over here. The rest of the time she speaks flemish.

When i used to take callum to nursery school he was the only english child there i think it was urdo they spoke,but they always made the effort to speak english the days we went.

If they where on a break i cant see the problem it may be the only chance they have to speak their native language

Reply privately

over a year ago

Britain was built on immigration and I love the diversity of cultures and foods etc x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Britain was built on immigration and I love the diversity of cultures and foods etc x"

+1 our family consists of Jamaican, Spanish, Polish, Asian, French, Italian and German. And we all rub along well together

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hey the UK's cool, when you see the trouble in some countries I think "you know what its not that bad here lol

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I can't say I am surprised at how the thread went

The people who say bugger off back to where they come from.....I bet you wouldn't do most of the jobs that are taken by the polish people or work as hard as they do.

Either way, it wasn't really the question.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I can't say I am surprised at how the thread went

The people who say bugger off back to where they come from.....I bet you wouldn't do most of the jobs that are taken by the polish people or work as hard as they do.

Either way, it wasn't really the question. "

Reply privately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I was married to a kurdish guy. His friends and family often spoke in their own language or in German as that's where many of them lived. It was never a problem for me. We rubbed along nicely.

Reply privately

By *oulou45Woman
over a year ago

Bucks

We have a mix of english and african at work. I'm happy to say we all get on great the only time the guys speak african is when they speak to family on the phone. They always apologise and explain their family don't spk english.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"We have a mix of english and african at work. I'm happy to say we all get on great the only time the guys speak african is when they speak to family on the phone. They always apologise and explain their family don't spk english. "

You see if that was me I wouldn't apologise for speaking on the phone in my own language. That isn't being rude at all.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"We have a mix of english and african at work. I'm happy to say we all get on great the only time the guys speak african is when they speak to family on the phone. They always apologise and explain their family don't spk english.

You see if that was me I wouldn't apologise for speaking on the phone in my own language. That isn't being rude at all."

nor would i

a phone call is private you can say what you like, how you like when talking on the phone

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

So if you ever visit Poland will you learn to speak polish????

Reply privately

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

So if you ever visit Poland will you learn to speak polish????"

They live and work here - they're not visiting - they were rude and ignorant - if you go on holiday or visit a country surely you'd try to be polite? Z

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Britain was built on immigration and I love the diversity of cultures and foods etc x

+1 our family consists of Jamaican, Spanish, Polish, Asian, French, Italian and German. And we all rub along well together "

same here - multicultural

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"

a phone call is private you can say what you like, how you like when talking on the phone"

I chat in my mother tongue when talking to my family abroad. It is private and therefore not exclusing anybody.

Reply privately

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

"Britain was built on immigration and I love the diversity of cultures and foods etc x

+1 our family consists of Jamaican, Spanish, Polish, Asian, French, Italian and German. And we all rub along well together same here - multicultural "

multicultural communities are brilliant - but surely we all need to respect each other? The guys co workers didn't seem to be tolerant of him? Why not? Z

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

One more thing... when I visit other countries whose language I dont speak I make an effort to learn a few phrases, like greetings, how are you etc. It make sucha difference to see that a foreigner is trying to communicate, even if it is limited.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

+1 our family consists of Jamaican, Spanish, Polish, Asian, French, Italian and German. And we all rub along well together same here - multicultural

multicultural communities are brilliant - but surely we all need to respect each other? The guys co workers didn't seem to be tolerant of him? Why not? Z"

I agree with you that we all need to be tolerant, 100%. I will go a step further though and say that for me (and my family as I brought them up that way) if we meet with less tolerance we try and compensate in the interest of growing understanding of cultures. Does that make sense what I am trying to say here?

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I talk very fast and a stronger accent when I go and visit family and if my OH is with me he can't understand what the hell I or they are saying....so we all slow down for him

Reply privately

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

"One more thing... when I visit other countries whose language I dont speak I make an effort to learn a few phrases, like greetings, how are you etc. It make sucha difference to see that a foreigner is trying to communicate, even if it is limited. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

They live and work here - they're not visiting - they were rude and ignorant - if you go on holiday or visit a country surely you'd try to be polite? Z"

Their language! their choice

Reply privately

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

They live and work here - they're not visiting - they were rude and ignorant - if you go on holiday or visit a country surely you'd try to be polite? ZTheir language! their choice"

Their choice to be ignorant! Great! Z

Reply privately

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

"Has anyone holidayed in North Wales?

Enough said"

I have...

Loved it!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I agree with the OP, sorry but they shouldd seak in English if they can, and if one is speaking in english then other two shouldnt be rude to cut into the conversation in Polish.

This country is England, English is the native language, and should be primary language used in socisl situations.

Whenever i visit any other country, i attempt to learn some of there language, even if its just badics, as feel its polite and respectful to speak in their primary language, and the same respect should be adopted to our country.

Sorry, English and proud "

,seak in english????,well done mate!!!.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Their language! their choice"

that depends on the company they work for

where i work everyones has to speak english all the time on work time, if you have clocked in you speak english

and thats perfectly legal any company can do that

Reply privately

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

+1 our family consists of Jamaican, Spanish, Polish, Asian, French, Italian and German. And we all rub along well together same here - multicultural

multicultural communities are brilliant - but surely we all need to respect each other? The guys co workers didn't seem to be tolerant of him? Why not? ZI agree with you that we all need to be tolerant, 100%. I will go a step further though and say that for me (and my family as I brought them up that way) if we meet with less tolerance we try and compensate in the interest of growing understanding of cultures. Does that make sense what I am trying to say here? "

Yes, it makes sense to me, the more we try to embrace other cultures etc the more we're treated badly and taken advantage of! Z

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Enough said

I have...

Loved it!!"

Lived there for a while and absolutely loved the hospitality I experienced.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I agree with the OP, sorry but they shouldd seak in English if they can, and if one is speaking in english then other two shouldnt be rude to cut into the conversation in Polish.

Sorry, English and proud "

OH,and they shouldd,hahaha,takes the biscuit,am french by the way!!!.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

multicultural communities are brilliant - but surely we all need to respect each other? The guys co workers didn't seem to be tolerant of him? Why not? ZI agree with you that we all need to be tolerant, 100%. I will go a step further though and say that for me (and my family as I brought them up that way) if we meet with less tolerance we try and compensate in the interest of growing understanding of cultures. Does that make sense what I am trying to say here?

Yes, it makes sense to me, the more we try to embrace other cultures etc the more we're treated badly and taken advantage of! Z"

I can see why it seeems this way to people in the UK sometimes, I really really can.

Maybe it has something to do with the way I was brought up and more importantly where I was brought up. After the war my parents who were kids during the war recognised that we all needed to make more of an effort, show that we wanted to be "embracing" and that aggressive behaviour did not serve anybody and for that reason we were brought up in that spirit.

It is one of the reasons why children are taught their first foreign language (mostly English) at the age of 7, their second and third at 11 and 13 respectively although this varies a bit from county to county.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 03/11/12 13:23:25]

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

I also would like to add that having read Pearl's great contribution to this thread, I would echo that my own goal to integrate in the UK has probably helped me put roots down here as easily as I did. I have never been at the receiving end of any racial/ cultural discrimination or abuse either and have been made to feel welcome in every part of the UK I ever visited. But then I continue to try an do as the Romans while maintaining my cultural roots.

Reply privately

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

I suppose some people will be rude regardless - if they're socially inept they may not realise how rude they were being - i'm making excuses for their behaviour now!!! If a person can't see how ignorant they were being, then I feel very sad for them. It really isn't being racist or intolerant, if you are speaking to a person then just break off to speak to someone else without a by your leave - it's ignorant! Z

Reply privately

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

"I also would like to add that having read Pearl's great contribution to this thread, I would echo that my own goal to integrate in the UK has probably helped me put roots down here as easily as I did. I have never been at the receiving end of any racial/ cultural discrimination or abuse either and have been made to feel welcome in every part of the UK I ever visited. But then I continue to try an do as the Romans while maintaining my cultural roots. "

Bang on, I'm a great believer in treating people in the way that you would like to be treated. Z

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Bear in mind I am a first generation immigrant who have lived in this country for over 30 years, so my views on the matter may be somewhat controversial.

full citizenship.

"

Reply privately

over a year ago

Totally disagree with op. I know lots of english guys who work abroad and they don't even attempt to pick up the local language. Its a throwback of the first british empire from when we spread our language but basically refused to learn any other languages. I've worked all over the world and can honestly say I don't know another language well. So its a bit rich for me to expect someone polish or indian etc to learn mine.

Reply privately

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

"Totally disagree with op. I know lots of english guys who work abroad and they don't even attempt to pick up the local language. Its a throwback of the first british empire from when we spread our language but basically refused to learn any other languages. I've worked all over the world and can honestly say I don't know another language well. So its a bit rich for me to expect someone polish or indian etc to learn mine. "

Why? Why is it a bit rich to expect people living and working in a country tolearn the language. The point the OP was making wasn't about that anyway - it was about how they made him feel by deliberately excluding him by speaking in a language he didn't understand - a very different point i think. Z

Reply privately

over a year ago

To be honest rudeness is everywhere, Though i do believe that if you are working and staying in a country with a different speaking langauge at work and socializing you should speak their langauge to the best of your abiltity, at home and with family then yeah speak your own langauge unless in presence of someone.

We try our hardest when abroad to adapt and speak their langauge, we dont sit around in our england or football tops drinking in english bars, eating english food drinking english ale,

We love other cultures and food and will eat in their resturants and cafes bars etc even though we all struggle with the langauge barrier we seem to get what we want,

Have found and ,met some lovely people and has helped our holiday even better getting to see things and site tourists wouldnt. Even being invited to a customary wedding which was a amazing site not many people would of witnessed.

Basically we put it down to manners regardless of race or country

Reply privately

over a year ago

Enough said"

And I suppose it's excactly the same amongst the Cornish who are trying to secure their own language and identity ....

Wherever you go, there will always be rude people, but don't try and tarnish a nation by a few ignorants.

How can you denigrate people when they actually try to speak their own native language in their own country ?

Being an Englishman, who, as I said earlier, has spent half of my adult life here, I have never been made to feel unwelcome.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Totally disagree with op. I know lots of english guys who work abroad and they don't even attempt to pick up the local language. Its a throwback of the first british empire from when we spread our language but basically refused to learn any other languages. I've worked all over the world and can honestly say I don't know another language well. So its a bit rich for me to expect someone polish or indian etc to learn mine. "

i think theres a difference between working someone for a while and living there

its not a case of having to learn English

to get citizenship in the UK you have to undertake a test to prove you can spek English well enough to get by

its just a case of using the ability they already have not leaning something new

I dont think anyone has the right to tell people how to speak but i do think there are certain times speaking english is a must

People have stated on the thread that in care homes workers have spoken their own language while working over residents

now i think thats damn rude, residents in care homes deserve to be treat with respect and working over a ill person while chatting away in another language is treating them no better than a item on a production line, many old and ill people maybe confused and having people talking over them in a language they dont understand will just add to their confusion, imagine being in bed for a couple of hours alone and the only company you get is two people undressing you and washing you while having a conversation you have no understanding of!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Why? Why is it a bit rich to expect people living and working in a country tolearn the language. The point the OP was making wasn't about that anyway - it was about how they made him feel by deliberately excluding him by speaking in a language he didn't understand - a very different point i think. Z"

If they want to speak in their native language when in a group what's the problem? If I'm abroad with my job or on holiday with family then I will speak english with them. Maybe they were talking about him maybe not , guess its the benefit of being bi-lingual.also, poland is in the EU which means they can work anywhere in europe so u telling me they have to learn every language they work in jus to keep the people they work with happy????

Reply privately

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

"

Why? Why is it a bit rich to expect people living and working in a country tolearn the language. The point the OP was making wasn't about that anyway - it was about how they made him feel by deliberately excluding him by speaking in a language he didn't understand - a very different point i think. Z

If they want to speak in their native language when in a group what's the problem? If I'm abroad with my job or on holiday with family then I will speak english with them. Maybe they were talking about him maybe not , guess its the benefit of being bi-lingual.also, poland is in the EU which means they can work anywhere in europe so u telling me they have to learn every language they work in jus to keep the people they work with happy????"

If you don't get it I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain this scenario to you, as I said earlier - some people are socially inept and ignorant as to how to behave in company, and some are just plain rude! Z

Reply privately

over a year ago

Have stayed out of this so far, but being an old sage compared with many on here (!!) time to give it 'me tuppenyworth'..

Let's go back a few years, to about 100AD. I can imagine there was a village of Angles sitting round the fire one night moaning about 'these 'ere Romans come over 'ere, and they all speak that flamin' Latin! - Oooo d'they think they are??'....

And I'll bet the remaining Romano-English and Mercians said the same thing around the 7th century about 'them Saxons'..... and the left over Anglo-Saxons said the same thing about, first, the Vikings (comin over 'ere raping our women!!!) and then soon after, 'them thar Normans comin over 'ere with their poncey language - Froggy!!'...

And so it has gone on for the last two thousand years.

As a result, we have one of the most developed - no, THE most developed and expanded language in the World. As a result, it has become the language in which the majority of the World communicates. Okay, the ancestors of some of those who speak English were forced to speak it, but that's (yet) another argument.

I have no doubt that, given time, in addition to latin-based, Saxon-based and Norman-based words in our language, there may well be a few Polish or some other 'based' words finding their way into the Oxford English Dictionary.

Such is the development of cultures, peoples and societies.

As my own family originated in the Netherlands, I have no doubt some of 'my lot' are responsible for some words (yet to find any tbh!) which have crept in along the way.

Maybe if people spent as much time focussing on improving our society as they do moaning or sniping about what they perceive as being wrong with it, we'd all get along a whole lot better...

Right, now I've got that off me chest - back to me pipe and slippers...... zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Pork

Reply privately

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

Enough said

And I suppose it's excactly the same amongst the Cornish who are trying to secure their own language and identity ....

Wherever you go, there will always be rude people, but don't try and tarnish a nation by a few ignorants.

How can you denigrate people when they actually try to speak their own native language in their own country ?

Being an Englishman, who, as I said earlier, has spent half of my adult life here, I have never been made to feel unwelcome.

"

The point I was making is that the OP's experience is not unusual. I'm from West Midlands, Dudley area actually and we used to holiday in Rhyll, Llandudno, Conway area because we had friends there.

From personal experience, if we went into a pub the conversation would change from English to Welsh.

I didn't dream it, it happened. I don't know if it still happens now, but I know what I experienced.

South Wales was always totally different and I never had the same experience there.

Reply privately

over a year ago

And some people get angry at the slightest hint of a debate when someone disagrees with them.very quick to sling the insults about social ineptitude when someone opinion differs, I merely stated that those people who share same languages will generally congregate with each other. Why should they learn our language? I've worked in afghan and stationed in several places in europe and know very basic language there its not ignorant I was there to do a job! These polish people are here to do a job so let them!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Enough said

The point I was making is that the OP's experience is not unusual. I'm from West Midlands, Dudley area actually and we used to holiday in Rhyll, Llandudno, Conway area because we had friends there.

From personal experience, if we went into a pub the conversation would change from English to Welsh.

I didn't dream it, it happened. I don't know if it still happens now, but I know what I experienced.

South Wales was always totally different and I never had the same experience there.

"

Had the same thing happen.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 03/11/12 14:06:46]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"These polish people are here to do a job so let them!"

its not always as simple as that tho

in most jobs team work is the key

how can you work as a team if half your team dont communicate with you?

its not just black and white, there are shade of grey where things dont work if communication dont take place

and jobs take twice as long if your alwasy having to ask what people are saying because you cant understand them to know what everyones doing

Reply privately

over a year ago

"These polish people are here to do a job so let them!

its not just black and white, there are shade of grey where things dont work if communication dont take place

and jobs take twice as long if your alwasy having to ask what people are saying because you cant understand them to know what everyones doing"

Op didn't mention that the job was suffering, I'm working with the information I was given from which was that he took offence because they were speaking polish whilst on a break. I did think we were using rhetoric.

Reply privately

By *upitersmileCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

Enough said

Had the same thing happen."

Had it happen a few times

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sorry, English and proud OH,and they shouldd,hahaha,takes the biscuit,am french by the way!!!."

Youre french, and replying in English, which shows an effort has been made. My point was if one girl was speaking to him in English and other girls interrupted in Polish, thats plain rude. They have opted to live in the UK, as they have made that decision they should speak in English, especially in the workplace. If they want to chat to each other in polish, it should be saved for thrir own time,ie, breaks

Reply privately

By *upitersmileCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

and jobs take twice as long if your alwasy having to ask what people are saying because you cant understand them to know what everyones doing

Op didn't mention that the job was suffering, I'm working with the information I was given from which was that he took offence because they were speaking polish whilst on a break. I did think we were using rhetoric."

Had nowt to do with the job! OP not complaining about languages in work, its the fact he has been excluded. Was just plain ignorance for the women to change to polish when OP was mid conversation.

Reply privately

By *ukus 62Woman
over a year ago

Essex

Reply privately

over a year ago

Op didn't mention that the job was suffering, I'm working with the information I was given from which was that he took offence because they were speaking polish whilst on a break. I did think we were using rhetoric."

have you not read the thread we're using everything on here

Reply privately

By *exki11enWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

"

100% agree

have to agree they can speak whatever language they want when they're chatting to each other "

The point here is thought that they weren't just chatting to each other were they? The OP was in the middle of a conversation with them.

I don't care where they come from, that's just bloody rude.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've worked with a regiment of ghurkas who all speak little to no english, they all sit together at dinner times or on patrol do u think we were pissed off that they didn't speak english? No. Not at all. And before you say I was stationed in a foreign country yea I was but I've also bn with the ghurkas whilst station in uk

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I've worked with a regiment of ghurkas who all speak little to no english, they all sit together at dinner times or on patrol do u think we were pissed off that they didn't speak english? No. Not at all. And before you say I was stationed in a foreign country yea I was but I've also bn with the ghurkas whilst station in uk"

your using totally different situations

from what i can tell your being posted round the world working in environments where people of all countries are doing the same as you, working away, so noone would expect in that situation for them to all speak the same language or learn to speak english at all seeing as they're not even in england, so why would you moan they cant speak english?

thats slightly different to living in a country and doing a office job, no mattere what country it is

i dont see how you can cpompair the two situations to be honest

Reply privately

over a year ago

and my spellings shit today lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

How do I know op don't work in factory? Warehouse? You are totally right its not the same but it doesn't stop everyone else. Wales? Exactly. Also you're right , the ghurkas were stationed in uk. But many polish are here to work only also.I do agree with you though, but I also think its not always simple to say that foreign people should speak our language when the uk is known throughout the world for being notorious for not learning foreign languages. The foreign office is crying out for language degree graduates because there are so few.don't believe me. Check it out.

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

At the kindergarten here they teach them basic french and they are 3 years old. Best to get them young

Reply privately

By *ap AdgeMan
over a year ago

Wirral

try saying hello in polish

Reply privately

over a year ago

"At the kindergarten here they teach them basic french and they are 3 years old. Best to get them young"

Right just popping out in my german car to get it washed at the local polish car wash, then off to the local german superstore to buy my imported fruit and veg, with possibly some bargains on chinese sauces. Afterward I'll hopefully go down to the pub, to drink dutch or american beer, and grab an indian on the way home to watch some american comedy on my SKY TV (owned by americans) and then watch match of the day, with almost every Premiership teams full of foriegners ..... and then .....lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

I would hazard a guess that a number of posters on this thread do not speak any other language than their own version of English.

Secondly, those that do speak another language other than English know that the second language is always going to be a second language and it is absolutely obvious that when a group of people who have the same first language get together they will very quickly abandon English because it is natural to them to communicate in their first language. There is nothing rude about it, it is just common sense.

Actually, we (collectively) ought to be completely ashamed that far too many English people barely speak their own language let alone a second language and even those that do, not that many can speak the other language as fluently as many of the Eastern Europeans speak English (their second language).

Reply privately

over a year ago

To the OP, yes, it was rude of them. Particularly, the woman who was talking to you. She could've at least finished the conversation first. But as for how it made you feel and whether folk should speak english all the time at work; unless you count them as close personal friends I'd say you'd do better not to give so much of a fuck about it.

Maybe they were trying to alienate you (depending on your relationship with them), maybe they were having a rough shift and just burst into conversation without really thinking about your feelings. Either way it should be water off a duck's back. This is the world we live in.

I agree with naughtynymphos that english should be compulsary when on shift, mainly for safety reasons. I work in construction where there are a few indian lads who genuinely can't speak english. I like them as people but I feel uncomfortable knowing that if a JCB crushed me, they wouldn't be able to give the ambulance my location and condition over the phone.

Also,

"

As a result, we have one of the most developed - no, THE most developed and expanded language in the World. As a result, it has become the language in which the majority of the World communicates. Okay, the ancestors of some of those who speak English were forced to speak it, but that's (yet) another argument.

"

As much as I smiled while reading your Monty Python-esque summary of the development of the english language, I cannae let you away with that!

Without knowing the history of invasions of all other countries and the subsequent effects of each invasion on the languages of the respective countries, that statement doesn't stand up. Not to mention the very suspect reasoning that english is so widely spoken due to its superior stage of development rather than being due to the fact that the English spent much of the 20th century rampaging round the world invading other countries willy and, indeed, nilly.

But otherwise, a very enjoyable read

And finally, for the record, I'm an immigrant. Brought here as a child from Ireland because the British weren't producing enough good teachers so they offered my father (amongst others) a free house if he'd come and teach here, which he accepted.

Reply privately