Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Any one know about fractures?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Can anyone tell me how long you have before a fracture and broken bone take to heal if not set?

My son has broken a bone in his hand and also has fractures.

He went to A&E last Friday and has been sat everyday in a day surgery unit on stand by.

He's got a cast on but it needs screws and a plate.

Does anyone know how long before it stands to set wrong.?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

its very unlikely to set wrong even after a few weeks, if it needs plating then they will move and rebreak if required, dont worry

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"its very unlikely to set wrong even after a few weeks, if it needs plating then they will move and rebreak if required, dont worry"

Trouble is he needs his strength in his hand to hold horses

over a year ago

Not to be down but I had a multiple break/fractures in my leg and ankle a few years back, extensive surgery and pins and plates.

4 major operations later and my breaks have still not set properly.

I have been offered to have them re broken and start again but as there are no guarantees that it would set ever again properly I have declined.

It really does depend on the break and the complexity as to when or if indeed it will set properly.

I sincerely hope that your sons does. Xx

over a year ago

The bones will have started to calcify already they will just re break them and pin them. Bless him

By *ursevampsWoman
over a year ago

bucks

sorry to inform you but can be up to six to eight weeks for a bone to knitt together however in the hand can take longer due to the fact that we use the hand a lot more then most of the other bones etc so it depends on what the persons healing rate is some are more adapt at healing others not we say 6/8 weeks as a guild line he may never get full strength back in hand depends on how bad the fracture is a clean break is usally more preferd other then a fracture as a fracture is classed as a crack not a break

Post new Message to Thread