Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

kids and phones .......

Jump to newest

By * n z OP   Couple
over a year ago

leamington spa

I have just found out that my friends niece has an i phone, she is 6 and has apparently had it for 1 year!!!!!

Gob smacked is the word lol.....or am I alone in thinking this ?

Out of my 3 kids the older 2 have phones ( not i phones) and didn't get one till the ripe old age of 10, my little 7 yr old will wait till she's 10 too, by which point they are out and about a bit more and its nice for them and me to be able to get hold of them.

But at six !!!! I'd be worried she'd break it, loose it drop it in the toilet........

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Good god alive!!!! 6 is way too young in my books..all of my kids have blackberry phones brought by me as a school starting present.... My eldest is now in uni and was brought a bb for his 18 birthday again by me.... I feel duty bound that my kids should have a way of communicating with me, my ex and there friends but not at 6!!!!!

By *ENDAROOSCouple
over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

Does amaze me some of the phones that kids walk about with.....they are better than mine!

Made our daughter wait until she was 11 and even now refuse to buy her iphone or blackberry.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

maybe a hand down of an earlier model following the parents being upgraded

over a year ago

My kids are 6 and 7yrs and have asked for phones, but no way!!

Told them when they go to seniors school they cn have a phone but definatley wont be the iphone that they are asking for now!!

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I have just found out that my friends niece has an i phone, she is 6 and has apparently had it for 1 year!!!!!

Gob smacked is the word lol.....or am I alone in thinking this ?

Out of my 3 kids the older 2 have phones ( not i phones) and didn't get one till the ripe old age of 10, my little 7 yr old will wait till she's 10 too, by which point they are out and about a bit more and its nice for them and me to be able to get hold of them.

But at six !!!! I'd be worried she'd break it, loose it drop it in the toilet........

"

not necessarily... I have just given my niece the Iphone I had before I upgraded....

as long as the sim card is taken out, it can then be used as a glorified Ipod touch... so she can listen to music, get apps for it (she liked my racing games and the peppa pig apps) she can use it as a camera, ect ect ect........

By *inkyScot22Man
over a year ago

Anniesland

Reminds me of the story in the news a few weeks ago about primary school pupils (age ~5) *unable* to open a book but able to surf the web and operate an ipad with some of them still in nappies!

By *eminiman61Man
over a year ago

mansfield

I too am gob smacked...... Have they got more money than sence

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

My grand daughter has a phone and she's nine. Nothing sinister in it, was a hand me down from her Dad who's on an Apple business contract. As Fabio says, I mainly gets used as a gaming machine but she uses it to text us when she's on holiday and we call her on it if we haven't seen her for a while.

My youngest daughter has had a phone since she was 7 or 8 as it was the only way I could contact her between seeing her every fortnight as her psychotic mother wouldn't let her use the home phone and rarely answered it if I called.

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

im an old duffer and grew up making calls from a fone box or arranging to meet at a time n place with mates. I find the whole phone, i pad, kindle or any similar gadget hillarious and also a bit sad. Hillarious that people seem to not be able to survive without one or all of them, not least the ridiculous conversations i hear people having. And a bit sad that people buy into this trend. They seem to be making laptops smaller and smaller to the size of a fone or making phones bigger to be more like a laptop. At some point they are gonna meet somewhere in the middle, then what ? Just another way for major corps to part people with their cash for something they dont really need

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

My nephew has a cheap basic touchscreen phone and he is 7. He was given it just before they went to London with the theory that if he got lost he would be able to call his mum or dad etc

Providing it is managed correctly I don't see anything wrong with it. It's PAYG and he only uses it with his parents permission. The only numbers on it are family ones and tbd most of the time it sits unused

over a year ago

My eldest grandson is 5 and he uses his dads iphone and ipad and is so computer savvy its scary. He is restricted to one hour per day dependent on behaviour and is only allowed on it to help with improving his already excellent maths etc.

Personally i think its a slippery slope by letting him have it but the technology is there and if it helps give him help etc then it has to be good. He constantly figures passwords way beyond me.

There is a block on adult content thank god.

over a year ago

I think the real issue here is as long as you're a responsible parent so will the child be,I see nothing wrong it as it's not about the phone itself but parenting which is shocking these days

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

"I think the real issue here is as long as you're a responsible parent so will the child be,I see nothing wrong it as it's not about the phone itself but parenting which is shocking these days "

over a year ago

"im an old duffer and grew up making calls from a fone box or arranging to meet at a time n place with mates. I find the whole phone, i pad, kindle or any similar gadget hillarious and also a bit sad. Hillarious that people seem to not be able to survive without one or all of them, not least the ridiculous conversations i hear people having. And a bit sad that people buy into this trend. They seem to be making laptops smaller and smaller to the size of a fone or making phones bigger to be more like a laptop. At some point they are gonna meet somewhere in the middle, then what ? Just another way for major corps to part people with their cash for something they dont really need "
Well said Cliff

over a year ago

My 9 year old daughter had one for Christmas last year. But then it's so that I can keep in otuch with her and vice versa when she's at her mum's or out and about with friends.

She has a wise head on her shoulders, and we've always given her the responsibility and awareness to be out and about.

She goes to town with her friends at the weekends, plays in the parks, or in the woods (never alone).

It's there as her lifeline, so that she knows we're always there for her, and we can also say Dinner's on the table in 15 minutes

over a year ago

My six year old grandson has a hand me down phone, from his parents upgrade. Only family numbers are in it and we text or call him.

He's also been using an ipad since he was three and a half.

However he can read anything you put in front of him and his birthday presents from me were books.

As long as the parent manages a balance in tech or toy time kids are alright.

My 14 yr old had 2 friends stay the weekend and when I went into the room they were playing with an ipad lego and drawing cartoons, a healthy mix I think.

Post new Message to Thread