Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Depression who has it!!!?

Jump to newest

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

Hi there , very personal question but how many peolpe on here suffer from depression.

I have had it for years and was curious as to what percentage of peolpe have .

Please don't leave any stupid answers, it's not funny and it takes a lot to admit to, and no , I am not embarrassed about it, it's made me exactly who I am and I am proud to be me xxxx

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I do. Look back at the mental health awareness day thread. You are not alone.

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I've just started on some anti d's and they do seem to work.

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Have a read of this thread

http://www.fabswingers.com/forum/lounge/126036

Reply privately

over a year ago

my sister is currently going through a really bad time she has had depression since her teens. she takes meds gets better comes off them gets really bad goes on them its a really hard cycle cause she doesn't want to believe she needs the meds . i wish anyone with depression the best and there families all the patience in the world x

Reply privately

over a year ago

I suffered when I was 15-20, a dark period in my life, I am still prone to bouts, but I am able to see the signs, and tackle it.

I learnt some very good relaxation techniques that I rely on, I think the key is recognising what triggers your depression and also learn ways that work for you to combat it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

i've only ever had post natal depression after the birth of my last child

its very common, most people at some point in their life will suffer from depression, problem is a lot dont realise they have it so they dont get help soon enough

i did'nt realise i had it, which looking back is stupid as i now think, how could i have not known look how you was!!! but thats the problem with depression you dont realise as you feel to down to notice

Reply privately

over a year ago

Have suffered depression a number of times, also always been around others that suffer

Reply privately

over a year ago

i have ever since i was little, on and off. i took antidepresants when i was 15 until i was 18.

i am surprised at how many people suffer from depresion. i was reading about david walliams. you wouldnt think someone like him did. it sort of helps to know your not the only one who feels that way. most of the time i am not too bad, some days when i get over tired or have health problems, or when my dog died i was realy bad if i hadnt of got another dog i would have had to seen the doctor about it.

some people just cope with things better. my husbands had bad things happen to him in his life, but he just seems to put it all behind him and doesnt think about it, i wish i could be like him.

i know someone who was going through a bad patch and she went to her doctor and got some tablets and she took them for a few months and now she is beter.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

A subject close to my heart - as it can be a devastating yet silent illness, sometimes undiagnosed, sometimes misread as moodiness and often people who do suffer are being looked upon as if only they tried hard enough they could snap out of it.

Sadly that is not the case and unlike having a "visible" dignosis of say diabetes or a broken limb depression can be kept well hidden by the sufferer for a host of reaons, embarrassment just being one of those.

I have friends who have suffered from it for years and as an outsider you would never know they were suffering.

What is sad though that it takes the sufferer so much energy to keep up the "happy" mask - and this would not be necessary if there was not so much stugma attached still today.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"A subject close to my heart - as it can be a devastating yet silent illness, sometimes undiagnosed, sometimes misread as moodiness and often people who do suffer are being looked upon as if only they tried hard enough they could snap out of it.

Sadly that is not the case and unlike having a "visible" dignosis of say diabetes or a broken limb depression can be kept well hidden by the sufferer for a host of reaons, embarrassment just being one of those.

I have friends who have suffered from it for years and as an outsider you would never know they were suffering.

What is sad though that it takes the sufferer so much energy to keep up the "happy" mask - and this would not be necessary if there was not so much stugma attached still today."

*stigma

Reply privately

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

I do but at moment I am not doing too bad.

hope you get it sorted.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I have it! Due to medical conditions etc mind you I'm a bugger start feeling good and stop my happy pills. I know silly guess I'm in denial

Reply privately

By *pl- capdagdeCouple
over a year ago

Cap d agde,France

I did a few years back anxiety,panic attacks depression was on anti d's which did the job..

Over last few months starting to get it back again,been trying to deal with it myself as don't want to take pills again.

Mrs keeps telling me though i should go see the doctor ... What can i say stubborn male !!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Also I think it is very important that you insist to your GP that you are referred to a psychiatrist in order for the correct diagnosis to be made.

GP's simply do not know enough about it, and can often misdiagnose Bipolar, and the varying types of depression, they don't always put you on the correct medication or quantity which can be damaging to the suffer.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"A subject close to my heart - as it can be a devastating yet silent illness, sometimes undiagnosed, sometimes misread as moodiness and often people who do suffer are being looked upon as if only they tried hard enough they could snap out of it.

What is sad though that it takes the sufferer so much energy to keep up the "happy" mask - and this would not be necessary if there was not so much

stugma attached still today."

Sums it up perfectly

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Also I think it is very important that you insist to your GP that you are referred to a psychiatrist in order for the correct diagnosis to be made.

GP's simply do not know enough about it, and can often misdiagnose Bipolar, and the varying types of depression, they don't always put you on the correct medication or quantity which can be damaging to the suffer."

*sufferer.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Also I think it is very important that you insist to your GP that you are referred to a psychiatrist in order for the correct diagnosis to be made.

GP's simply do not know enough about it, and can often misdiagnose Bipolar, and the varying types of depression, they don't always put you on the correct medication or quantity which can be damaging to the suffer."

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yes. It's partly why I'm not meeting currently. I'm in the mood but my emotional state is a little fragile.

It's took me a lot to admit to my doctor I was struggling and even more to admit to myself.

Cali

Reply privately

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

i have depression but mine is a symptom of a serious mental health disorder. GP's are notoutiously bad a MH diagnosis and often diagnose anyone presenting with MH issues as having depression. This means you can be misdiagnosed for years. Also there are many different types of depression and they are treated in many different ways. So a diagnosis of "depression" from a GP is a lazy diagnosis, is quite possibly wrong and means people often dont get the right help they need at the time they need it. Anyway you arent on your own. And quite frankly depression seems a normal and healthy response to the state of the world

Reply privately

over a year ago

How can people tell if thay have this ? maybe thay just think if feeling low its normal ?

Reply privately

By *uckoo clockCouple
over a year ago

Merseyside

A serious subject indeed and often derided by the 'pull yourself together'critics.

My best friend, who was once the life and soul of any party and the kind of person most would want to be around ended his life not long ago through the onset of deep depression !!

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

" And quite frankly depression seems a normal and healthy response to the state of the world "
I would agree with you in some cases.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I did a few years back anxiety,panic attacks depression was on anti d's which did the job..

Over last few months starting to get it back again,been trying to deal with it myself as don't want to take pills again.

Mrs keeps telling me though i should go see the doctor ... What can i say stubborn male !! "

i suffer with mild agorophobia and panic attacks i read a good book called coping successfully with panic attacks by shirley trickett. which i found very helpful.

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

a few years ago yes and I got fantastic help. Always seek professional help and please there is a lot less of a stigma attached to it these days, I won't say there isn't any but it is a lot less.

Exercise really helps.

all the best in your continued journey..

Reply privately

over a year ago

Amazed I'm the first man to comment other than the OP....

I 'found my limit' as the GP put it, about 3 1/2 years ago and was on Fluoxetine for six months as a result. Didn't have any problems with it that time, but had to go back on it about a year ago for a while and it really affected me - most notably it gave me ED as a side effect. Came off them in May and things are gradually getting back in order.

Thing which hit me about depression the first time was that I never, not in a million years, thought it would 'happen to me', but it crept up on me and one day enough was enough. I knew something was wrong and had the sense to go to my (very understanding) GP who diagnosed it in seconds. Glad she did.

The problem with it is you can't see it. You can't see anyone walking down the street and can say 'He/She's got depression'.. so if you can't spot it in others, very often it is difficult to spot in yourself. Also you have to overcome your own sense of denial before you can get something done about it.

Would never dismiss anyone who suffers from it now like I would have before....

Pork

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"How can people tell if thay have this ? maybe thay just think if feeling low its normal ?"

Lots do. I did until I had a very public breakdown 23 years ago.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Unfortunately a GP referral can take months, and in the meantime the sufferer struggles on. I know someone who was diagnosed with depression and given some happy pills, basically just a lollipops n plasters treatment. This person went from being very mild mannered and loving, to a moody, aggressive, foul mouthed individual - and directed it all at family. Simply because the GP gave the bog standard drug for depression, which obviously didn't agree with the person

I personally have never suffered with depression - I've had low times due to life events, but I've been fortunate enough to have the same outlook as Julie and never ended up in such a dark place

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don't know if I do get depressed or if at times I just get fucked off with things and think I can't be arsed with it all.

It's not something that has worried me to the degree that I have sought assistance with.

If I thought it was necessary, I wouldn't be embarrassed about seeking help or taking the prescribed course of action though.

A good number of my friends and family are either taking assistance with or have received medical help with depression so to me I don't see the stigma.

I think it is becoming more acceptable to admit you have problems these days too although you will never get away fully from those people who will tell you to simply 'get a grip'.

Reply privately

By *umsuckMan
over a year ago

Gateshead

I have suffered on and off with depression most off my adult life. Unless you've 'been there' most people just don't realise just how debilitating it can be,including some of the medical proffesion sadly. I am fortunate in that I have a very understanding GP who,with a combination of drugs,councelling and self help therapy has brought me to a place where I can cope. Its a long hard road but there is an end and a good end where you realise that life isn't really that bad. Good luck on your journey

Reply privately

over a year ago

I have had bouts of depression since my youngest was born post natal that went into sever depression the tablets are not enough you need to find a good councilor too and do not be afraid to ask for help.

I have been back to docs this week before I go hospital today because I dont want to slip back to the dark side.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"How can people tell if thay have this ? maybe thay just think if feeling low its normal ?"

I dont know about others, but it's a bit more than just feeling low. I have had periods of my life where months have gone by and I didn't really want to see or speak to anyone, hated everything about myself and everything about the world, and couldn't find joy in anything, and felt totally devoid of energy.

You learn a lot about yourself and how to recognise when its coming, but you sometimes still can't stop it.

One of the best natural things you can do is regular exercise

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hi Jo, well yes everyone has times in their life when the things get them down, and you feel like things are getting on top of you.

A lot of people at this time of year suffer from seasonal depression.

People who have depression will feel different from the blues, and often not recognise the feeling of being down,

and basically it will be a prolonged period where everything and nothing is right and you can not seem to find the energy to do anything.

Your eating & sleeping patterns will always change.

It is important, no matter if you think, you are just feeling a little down, to approach your GP, and then they can ascertain, through a "tested" scoring test whether you are depressed or not.

However they do not then delve further, they will put you on anti depressants, and there are many about, mainly GP's stick to the newer SRI's.

These are not suitable as with other drugs for all sufferers and GP's rarely go further and distinguish between the types of depression or indeed mania.

Hence I said it is imperative to ensure your GP refers you to a psychiatrist.

They will not normally refer you until between 4-8 weeks, where they will try to establish if the drugs they have prescribed are having an effect or not.

Commonly though a bipolar sufferer will suffer more mania on just anti depressants, as they also need to take mood stabilisers and as the anti depressants work, the mania can then get out of control.

A psychiatrist will diagnose, and control the medicines you take, doses etc

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not me, and I have had all the life's big events thrown at me at various times in the past few years.

Having good resilience and positive mental attitude helped me bounced back when I was low.

I kept myself busy to keep me going.

I cannot change the past, however I can influence the future, and shall enjoy the present the best I can.

Reply privately

over a year ago

most dont realise they have it, for a lot it takes someone else who notice the change in them to point out something is wrong

When you get the help you need tho and look back at how you was you think....god how did i not know, but i guess thats just part of the illness

i never realised i had it and to be honest my ex wasnt a believer is such things he thought postnatal depression was just a excuse for fat women to sit about feeling sorry for themsleves and using having a kid as an exuse for putting weight on and then moaning about it, he used to tell me to just pull myself together and get a grip, which didnt help me really, so mine went unnoticed for ages, it was my health visitor that got me onto the doctors

Reply privately

over a year ago

GP's simply do not know enough about it, and can often misdiagnose Bipolar, and the varying types of depression, they don't always put you on the correct medication or quantity which can be damaging to the suffer.

Unfortunately a GP referral can take months, and in the meantime the sufferer struggles on. I know someone who was diagnosed with depression and given some happy pills, basically just a lollipops n plasters treatment. This person went from being very mild mannered and loving, to a moody, aggressive, foul mouthed individual - and directed it all at family. Simply because the GP gave the bog standard drug for depression, which obviously didn't agree with the person

I personally have never suffered with depression - I've had low times due to life events, but I've been fortunate enough to have the same outlook as Julie and never ended up in such a dark place

"

Oh I did end up in a dark place for a number of years, and yes as per my latest post, GP's are not specialists and can often do harm.

If you are not happy with a GP, or their diagnosis, ask to see another at your surgery.

Also it is very important to have a supportive family member/partner/friend, who you trust who can go to the doctors with you, and they can push the doctor for your referral or perhaps voice what you feel you can not to a psychiatrist, it is also helpful for a psychiatrist if you can keep a diary of your thoughts/feelings, and a loved one to do the same.

I have read some brilliant books, self help techniques included, and support for loved ones, happy to recommend them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Best advise is to try and keep a diary of how you are feeling are you having more downs than ups. But do not keep every thing bottled up even if you just talk to a good friend it does help. And yes exercise even if its to go for a walk to clear your head it does help.

Reply privately

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

[Removed by poster at 31/10/12 12:20:23]

Reply privately

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

I have been told its fairly easy to summarise what depression is.

This was actually told a psychotherapist that I had the displeasure of meeting . He was telling me the text book details of how I should deal with and what triggers my depression . The person in question was very young and when I showed him the marks from my depressive states , I asked him what makes him such an authority on the subject ......

I truly believe if you suffer from this awful illness then you have an insight into a world others have no idea exists .

I liken it to a toilet cystern , the ball cock allows water to stop flowing when the vessel is full.. It's the same with the mind yet sadly, my ball cock doesn't stop and allows everything just to fill up and up .....

The past ten months have seen the following happen In my life;

Marriage breakdown

Loss of career

Loss of own home

Testicukar cancer scare

Admitted for viral meningitis

No it's not a woe is me , but possibly a putting it down in writing to say.....

ENOUGH GIVE ME A BREAK LOL !!!!

Good luck to you all xxx

If your given medication take it, you don't frown upon paracetamol and they help!!!!!

Ps . Anybody got any work lol xxx

Reply privately

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

"Not me, and I have had all the life's big events thrown at me at various times in the past few years.

Having good resilience and positive mental attitude helped me bounced back when I was low.

I cannot change the past, however I can influence the future, and shall enjoy the present the best I can.

"

Not really sure what you are saying in this post ? Depression isnt always connected to difficult or traumatic life events. Neither is it defeated by risiliance or a positive mental attitude or by keeping busy.

I also think you are mistaken if you think you can influence the future, although you are right about not being able to change the past, you can change how you think about the past. Please carry on enjoying the present though. In reality this second right here is the only place we ever really have any influence.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I suffered from depression about 10 years ago. It was my ex wife that pointed it out to me. I was in denial as I'm normally such a happy go lucky person and take things in my stride. I reluctantly went to see the doc only to be told I'm suffering from depression because of living with a manic depressive!!!!! He put me on Prozac and was told to visit regularly..... After a few months I noticed a massive loss in my self confidence, my moods were darker and more aggressive and my sexual libido went from horny as hell to not giving a shit if I had sex ever again..... I brought this all up with my doc who shrugged and said it was a side effect!!! I decided I didn't want to live on tablets for the test if my days so took myself off then slowly. I'm out of that and love my life how it is and laugh daily.... That's the best medicine for any depression

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Not me, and I have had all the life's big events thrown at me at various times in the past few years.

Not really sure what you are saying in this post ? Depression isnt always connected to difficult or traumatic life events. Neither is it defeated by risiliance or a positive mental attitude or by keeping busy.

I also think you are mistaken if you think you can influence the future, although you are right about not being able to change the past, you can change how you think about the past. Please carry on enjoying the present though. In reality this second right here is the only place we ever really have any influence.

"

Have you been reading 'the power of now'?

Reply privately

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

"

Cheers cliff , peolpe see it as weak mindedness , and cheer up be positive lol .... I just hope they never ever have to visit this god awful place !!!!! ??

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I do worry at times about people sharing too much about their depression on an internet site. I think it can be a great way of sharing experience and really help.... but I also believe, you risk putting yourself out there for the exploiters of others, those who befriend the vulnerable for their own good .

and they exist

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"I do worry at times about people sharing too much about their depression on an internet site. I think it can be a great way of sharing experience and really help.... but I also believe, you risk putting yourself out there for the exploiters of others, those who befriend the vulnerable for their own good .

and they exist

"

They do, I don't deny that. I have spent so long advocating for openness about mental health issues that I cannot see a thread like this without saying 'me too - you are not alone'. It part of my failings but I know this approach has helped at least 8 people. Someone helped me in this way 23 years ago when I had a breakdown and I have felt a duty to pay that forward ever since.

Reply privately

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

[Removed by poster at 31/10/12 12:38:11]

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"

Someone helped me in this way 23 years ago when I had a breakdown and I have felt a duty to pay that forward ever since."

Reply privately

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

"I do worry at times about people sharing too much about their depression on an internet site. I think it can be a great way of sharing experience and really help.... but I also believe, you risk putting yourself out there for the exploiters of others, those who befriend the vulnerable for their own good .

and they exist

They do, I don't deny that. I have spent so long advocating for openness about mental health issues that I cannot see a thread like this without saying 'me too - you are not alone'. It part of my failings but I know this approach has helped at least 8 people. Someone helped me in this way 23 years ago when I had a breakdown and I have felt a duty to pay that forward ever since."

Well done you . If the idiots wish to pray on peolpe then I hope there genitals get infected with crabs and there arms aren't long enough to itch them !!!! Self abusing tossers!!!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Cheers cliff , peolpe see it as weak mindedness , and cheer up be positive lol .... I just hope they never ever have to visit this god awful place !!!!! ??"

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm on a phased return to work at the moment after having an onset of really bad depression, I've suffered on and off for over 17 years and this is notably the worst ever and was brought on mainly by stresses at work whereas in the past its crept up for no apparent reason but I am aware of the signs as my mood starts slipping xx

This time however was so bad finally those around me realised how ill I've been over the years and finally started supporting me and my gp is great he's been deing with me for over ten years now and we have a great relationship he knows how I am the minute I walk in his office

This time round I'm on duloxetine after a summer of mixing all sorts as my normal prescription is venlafaxine which I can't take with my job as it can make me drowsy at times

Reply privately

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

Have you been reading 'the power of now'? "

Not sure how you made that connection I was a practising Buddhist for a good few years and the meditation and philosophy , especially on the self helped me enormously. However i have read "the power of now " which basically seems a mish mash of Buddhism, philosophy and other religions. It got a bit to airy fairy for me in many places although i wouldnt dismiss the book as a useful tool.

Reply privately

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

Cheers cliff , peolpe see it as weak mindedness , and cheer up be positive lol .... I just hope they never ever have to visit this god awful place !!!!! ??"

My pleasure m8, someone had to say something and that person is usually me It has always helped me to remember that all conditions pass, they are temporary and impermanent no matter if it joy or sadness

Reply privately

over a year ago

i had depression a few yrs ago after suffering a miscarriage, was an awful time, i was prescribed citalapram which helped alot, i dont believe there is a cure for depression maybe a stablizer i have my ups and down's but im doing much better now.

Reply privately

over a year ago

i take medication on a daily basis for depression.Im very open about it.Im at my worse during the dark damp winter months.Theres absolutely nothing to be ashamed of in admitting it.

Reply privately

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

"i had depression a few yrs ago after suffering a miscarriage, was an awful time, i was prescribed citalapram which helped alot, i dont believe there is a cure for depression maybe a stablizer i have my ups and down's but im doing much better now. "

I took citalapram for a time , made me feel like I had a cold so changed to sertraline xxx good luck to you

Reply privately

over a year ago

Ive had it on and off since I was 18. was sectioned for 9 months and had to take 15 tablets a day and lots of counselling, now not on anything first time in years and find it hard at time but dont want to go back to doctor. Im quite chuffed I dont take anything now, I just try to keep myself occupied when im feeling low

Reply privately

over a year ago

"i had depression a few yrs ago after suffering a miscarriage, was an awful time, i was prescribed citalapram which helped alot, i dont believe there is a cure for depression maybe a stablizer i have my ups and down's but im doing much better now.

I took citalapram for a time , made me feel like I had a cold so changed to sertraline xxx good luck to you "

thanks, tried amatriptaline first but that just made me itchy! all over! not a good look walking down the street scratching myself lol. trial and error really friend of mine tried 3 different meds till one worked for her

Reply privately

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

Would just like to say thankyou to all who have responded so far ......

All I will say to anyone who doesn't know me .....

Don't judge me until you do know me, you'll have a very pleasant surprise xxx

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've suffered really bad from it for past 4 years I'd say,when good things are happening I cry if ppl around me are happy I cry,me& my partner went thru a break up this time last ur which went on for few months my family plotted in my head to leave him so I did after months of torture from them I then meet someone else even tho I knew deep down I didn't want it I done it to kinda plz my family my partner then got in with a lass from work and I was deverstated he said he never slept with her etc but it still gets me rock bottom now!ill never know apparently she's left his work my biggest worry now is will she some how contact him I'm so worried all time I had a break down just cple months ago went to doc he give me medication but I was scared to take it having two young children one with autism I needed to be strong but it still all hits me every day and he keeps sayin for me not to worry etc don't know if its just me worrying or if I have a right to worry ((( just so frightened don't want anyone to ever come between my little family again and so confused do I wait and risk it happening

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Ive had it on and off since I was 18. was sectioned for 9 months and had to take 15 tablets a day and lots of counselling, now not on anything first time in years and find it hard at time but dont want to go back to doctor. Im quite chuffed I dont take anything now, I just try to keep myself occupied when im feeling low "
ah well done x

Reply privately

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

I'm on Citalopram (sp?), have been for years. Sometimes I feel better, so the doc takes me off it, then it creeps back up on you again (I rarely notice it myself, much as I rarely notice the meds making me better but Mrs JFL can spot the symptoms easily)

I'm now on a 12 month repeat prescription.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm on Citalopram (sp?), have been for years. Sometimes I feel better, so the doc takes me off it, then it creeps back up on you again (I rarely notice it myself, much as I rarely notice the meds making me better but Mrs JFL can spot the symptoms easily)

I'm now on a 12 month repeat prescription."

thats what I got off doc

Reply privately

By *andykissesWoman
over a year ago

laugharne

Ive had it for a while now and was nearly sectioned at beginning of yr, ive come along way since then but still get my bad days, ive had a few of them lately tho

Reply privately

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

"I've suffered really bad from it for past 4 years I'd say,when good things are happening I cry if ppl around me are happy I cry,me& my partner went thru a break up this time last ur which went on for few months my family plotted in my head to leave him so I did after months of torture from them I then meet someone else even tho I knew deep down I didn't want it I done it to kinda plz my family my partner then got in with a lass from work and I was deverstated he said he never slept with her etc but it still gets me rock bottom now!ill never know apparently she's left his work my biggest worry now is will she some how contact him I'm so worried all time I had a break down just cple months ago went to doc he give me medication but I was scared to take it having two young children one with autism I needed to be strong but it still all hits me every day and he keeps sayin for me not to worry etc don't know if its just me worrying or if I have a right to worry ((( just so frightened don't want anyone to ever come between my little family again and so confused do I wait and risk it happening "

I think they call it flight or flight....

Medication is there to produce a bigger chemical reaction in your brain with the neurons . These help you cope with everyday life . Your fear of losing your family, is something that I don't think everyone thinks about. It can happen in a moment and , as I found out , your whole perception on life can change overnight . I now believe that things do happen for a reason , although at the time you think just leave me alone. Don't be scared or embarrassed to take tablets or seek help. This illness is encompassed with huge stigma attached to it , and slowly but surely the world us getting used to it as a general not taboo illness.

Tablets will help and it will take a few weeks for you to feel the benefit , but keep at it, all will come good . As fir your family . Too much worry and possible jealousy will also put a strain on the rekationship.....

Good luck to you and all my love

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"I've suffered really bad from it for past 4 years I'd say,when good things are happening I cry if ppl around me are happy I cry,me& my partner went thru a break up this time last ur which went on for few months my family plotted in my head to leave him so I did after months of torture from them I then meet someone else even tho I knew deep down I didn't want it I done it to kinda plz my family my partner then got in with a lass from work and I was deverstated he said he never slept with her etc but it still gets me rock bottom now!ill never know apparently she's left his work my biggest worry now is will she some how contact him I'm so worried all time I had a break down just cple months ago went to doc he give me medication but I was scared to take it having two young children one with autism I needed to be strong but it still all hits me every day and he keeps sayin for me not to worry etc don't know if its just me worrying or if I have a right to worry ((( just so frightened don't want anyone to ever come between my little family again and so confused do I wait and risk it happening "

Take your time. Let the citalopram do it's work and keep talking to your partner. Trust takes time to rebuild but sometimes you just have to make the decision to trust again.

Reply privately

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

"I'm on Citalopram (sp?), have been for years. Sometimes I feel better, so the doc takes me off it, then it creeps back up on you again (I rarely notice it myself, much as I rarely notice the meds making me better but Mrs JFL can spot the symptoms easily)

I'm now on a 12 month repeat prescription.thats what I got off doc "

Seems to do the job of levelling me out without any side effects whatsoever, apart from feeling tired for the first few days after I start taking them...which obviously isn't an issue anymore. I now just constantly feel tired because a) I'm an old fart and b) I keep agreeing to do airport runs for friends at stupid O'Clock in the morning

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

I have severe bipolar type 1 rapid cycle syndrome. Rapid cycle syndrome means my moods can literally change by the hour or by days. So depression is a symptom of my illness. I was diagnosed at 15 with depression, i was terrible as a teenager, it wasnt until i was in my twenties that i was diagnosed as having manic depression(thats what they called it then) so id been running round for 5 years with it undiagnosed, no wonder i was so out of control.

Ive been sectioned 9 times and i take about 18 tablets a day, some are anti depressants, some are mood stabilizers and some are anti psycotic. I also take one which is supposed to get rid of side affects.

Its flaming hard work getting through the days and as someone said earlier you cant see the illness so you wouldnt know they had it.

Good news is i havent been in hospital for 6 years now and im generally more stable than i have ever been.

Its a vile illness and i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. But i dont know life any differently.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Ah thank u every 1 just feel like I'm always on to him telling him how scared etc i am and it's worse not knowin if she will appear again turns my tummy

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I have severe bipolar type 1 rapid cycle syndrome. Rapid cycle syndrome means my moods can literally change by the hour or by days. So depression is a symptom of my illness. I was diagnosed at 15 with depression, i was terrible as a teenager, it wasnt until i was in my twenties that i was diagnosed as having manic depression(thats what they called it then) so id been running round for 5 years with it undiagnosed, no wonder i was so out of control.

Ive been sectioned 9 times and i take about 18 tablets a day, some are anti depressants, some are mood stabilizers and some are anti psycotic. I also take one which is supposed to get rid of side affects.

Its flaming hard work getting through the days and as someone said earlier you cant see the illness so you wouldnt know they had it.

Good news is i havent been in hospital for 6 years now and im generally more stable than i have ever been.

Its a vile illness and i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. But i dont know life any differently."

Sounds just like my mum was

Reply privately

By *lum59Couple
over a year ago

wigan

It is nice to know you are not alone suffering from this, I the male half of the couple suffer with severe bouts of depression even whe all feel life is going well trying to explain it is very difficult and feel the pull yourself together of some G.Ps is making it worse not a big fan of happy pills as dont want to become reliant but sometimes get so down that feel if even won the lottery wouldnt be happy, Have a very supportive wife and family but sometimes feel letting them all down

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"

They do, I don't deny that. I have spent so long advocating for openness about mental health issues that I cannot see a thread like this without saying 'me too - you are not alone'. It part of my failings but I know this approach has helped at least 8 people. Someone helped me in this way 23 years ago when I had a breakdown and I have felt a duty to pay that forward ever since."

Reply privately

over a year ago

This is what I love about this forum. Some threads silly, some shouty... but then there are threads like this that are helpful kind and informative.

I take my hat off to those who have come forward to tell their story

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I did a few years back anxiety,panic attacks depression was on anti d's which did the job..

Mrs keeps telling me though i should go see the doctor ... What can i say stubborn male !! "

They say that 1 in 4 people suffer from some form of mental illness throughout their lives. I'm surrounded by it in its most severest form, luckily I've only suffered a mental breakdown once... But it really is a common illness. The most interesting is manic depression as sometimes the actual high mood swings are more occurrant than the lows. This is when we tend to look for more excitement and take risks in order to relieve boredom in our lives. So, long and short of it is... I think attitudes towards mental illness are rapidly changing and people are more accepting and understanding than they used to be. Just call me Doctor Ali xxx

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"This is what I love about this forum. Some threads silly, some shouty... but then there are threads like this that are helpful kind and informative.

I take my hat off to those who have come forward to tell their story"

I completely agree with you here. It still takes courage to come forward and also I think that "using" other people as one of several resources is a good thing.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm loathe to say too much on an internet site because it is incredibly personal and there are those who will use it against me. But, I feel it's important. Judge me and attack me with this if you will.

I have a mental health disorder. It's not depression but it includes periods of depression. I've had it since my teens and have had repeated bouts throughout my life, including previous suicide attempts.

Despite this, I got an excellent education and built a good, well paid, career. I worked for 10 years, managing any bouts fairly well. Then a few years ago it all went pear-shaped.

It has wrecked my life. I've lost my career, my independence, my financial stability, any position of respect or value in society. I have virtually no rights at all, despite all the discrimination legislation out there.

I'm currently homeless after my previous landlord decided he wanted to sell his house. I'm now left in a position where I don't even have the right to choose where I live because I can't rent privately -I've been looking since January and everyone says "no DSS".

The Council have been very reluctant to help (and have broken numerous guidelines and a few laws in the process), and have left me actually homeless, sleeping on floors and in my car. Even if they house me they will expect me to move anywhere, away from my GP and my mental health team (both of whom have treated me for 6 years), away from my voluntary job which helps keep me grounded and potentially into a rough area in which I simply don't feel safe.

I want to get back to work. I am desperate to get back to work. But every year that passes, I am a year older and it's an extra years gap on my cv.

Over the years I've made significant improvements. In 2008, following a couple of years of really successful therapy, I was in remission. I applied for, inter_iewed for and was offered a really good job. I told them at the inter_iew I'd had some health problems and was now in remission. The company then, as per standard procedure, requested a medical report. When they found I'd been treated for depression (I was incorrectly diagnosed at the time) they withdrew the job offer. No, that's not legal but they did it anyway. I got a report from my psychiatrist supporting that a job would be a protective factor and would help keep me well, and that I would have no problems doing the job. I got a reference from my voluntary job saying I'd been working for them part-time, reliably, for over a year. However, they refused to relent.

I took them to a tribunal which was a whole year of Hell for me. They got away with making a small payment to me (because I hadn't started the job yet I had far fewer rights to compensation) and I ended up having a full relapse with a psychotic break. It took me 2 years to get to a point where I was able to start moving forward again.

At the beginning of this year I was stable again and starting to think about how to move forward. I'd got another voluntary job, which I love and was looking at retraining options. I was finally looking after myself, eating better, sleeping better and starting to exercise again.

Then my landlord dropped his bombshell and I found I don't even have a right to a decent place to live. I've lost all respect, including a lot of my self-respect, and I feel completely value-less and worthless in society.

That I have never been in rent arrears or arrears on bills doesn't matter. That I am a good, respectful tenant who has never, and would never damage anyone else's property doesn't matter. That I have a good education and a good past employment history and stand a good chance of getting back to work, with a bit of help, doesn't matter. I'm not wanted. Anywhere.

How am I supposed to pick myself up, get back to work and off benefits when nobody will give me a chance?

And all the time benefits are being cut, and it gets harder and harder to live. For 10 years I worked and for many of those I paid higher rate tax. Where is the system that I paid into that is supposed to be helping me now?

Someone jokingly told me recently I'm a wreck with asthma, insomnia and a host of other problems. The truth is I am actually a write-off.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Kinky.. My heart goes out to you, reading that has got me in tears!! Your very brave for sharing Xx

Reply privately

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

That's a shocking story, Kinky

I've done voluntary work at homeless shelters over the years and stories similar to yours are all too common.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yes another sufferer here have been up and down like a yoyo for about 20 years

Tablets do help and to be honest if they do the job I'm happy to take them. Coming off them is a different matter now that is hard

Reply privately

over a year ago

Depression such an awful thing, had it for many yrs a long time ago, but with alot of help from some very special people, it took another 4yrs to get back to so called normal....my heart goes out to anyone who is suffering or has suffered, so many people shy away from talking about it and look upon many as lunatics or most simply say "pull yourself together", unless you've been there yourself no-one truly understands xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Kinky.. My heart goes out to you, reading that has got me in tears!! Your very brave for sharing Xx"

+1

Reply privately

By *umsuckMan
over a year ago

Gateshead

Kinky. Reading your story fills me with a deep sense of shame that I'm part of a society that has let you down so badly.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Really sorry to hear that. I was told I had it after being diagnosed with MS 6 months ago. Its not a nice thing to have. But having understanding and nice people in your life and the tablets do make a difference.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Kinky.. My heart goes out to you, reading that has got me in tears!! Your very brave for sharing Xx"

+2 its shocking when you are at your lowest of your low they treat you like that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sorry it was so long. It's been a Hell of a ride.

It kills me to be called a benefit scrounger when I've put in so much effort to try and get back to work.

Maybe I should write a book.

I could certainly write one about the problems with the welfare system in this country, why the "getting people back to work" policies won't work and how "the system" is failing a huge number of people.

Reply privately

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

I didn't think my topic would have such a profound effect on others .... But i am happy I had the balls to start this thread !!!!!!

Two fingers to the ignorance surrounding this awful illness !!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Kinky.. My heart goes out to you, reading that has got me in tears!! Your very brave for sharing Xx

It kills me to be called a benefit scrounger when I've put in so much effort to try and get back to work.

I could certainly write one about the problems with the welfare system in this country, why the "getting people back to work" policies won't work and how "the system" is failing a huge number of people."

It sounds it and i completely understand where your coming from. Putting pen to paper would certainly shock the ignorant people of the world!!

X

Reply privately

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

Me. I've suffered since I was a teenager.

Much is hormonal, but I have also has a breakdown in the past.

I recently worked my way off the tablets but recent events have left me feeling very blue and I decided today to start them again to help me through.

It is a crippling disease and can be misunderstood and confusing for those around us.

Big hugs and love to my fellow sufferers and to the forums that put a smile on my face when I need it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've probably ensured I have no chance of any meets in the future now!

I've had people stop replying to messages, even block me, when they found I'm staying with friends because I am homeless and that I'm not working.

After that little lot I probably may as well join a convent!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Kinky.. My heart goes out to you, reading that has got me in tears!! Your very brave for sharing Xx

I could certainly write one about the problems with the welfare system in this country, why the "getting people back to work" policies won't work and how "the system" is failing a huge number of people."

Kinky - 1. DO NOT call yourself a benefit scrounger. They are people who have never paid a penny into the system, have taken it for all it's worth and have no intention of ever contributing to it - and that is NOT you!!!

2. Personally, I think you have hit the nail on the head about writing. You clearly have a talent for it. Why don't you use it as a form of therapy? A lot of people do. Your threads and contributions on here tell me you have a creative mind and can transfer it to paper. GO FOR IT!!! I KNOW you can do it.

Hugs Pork xxxx

Reply privately

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

Nobody is ever a write off Kinky. Keep fighting, you certainly have the heart for it. It is obviously very tough but I am sure you will succeed

Reply privately

over a year ago

I could certainly write one about the problems with the welfare system in this country, why the "getting people back to work" policies won't work and how "the system" is failing a huge number of people.

Kinky - 1. DO NOT call yourself a benefit scrounger. They are people who have never paid a penny into the system, have taken it for all it's worth and have no intention of ever contributing to it - and that is NOT you!!!

2. Personally, I think you have hit the nail on the head about writing. You clearly have a talent for it. Why don't you use it as a form of therapy? A lot of people do. Your threads and contributions on here tell me you have a creative mind and can transfer it to paper. GO FOR IT!!! I KNOW you can do it.

Hugs Pork xxxx"

Or maybe when your up to it train as a councilor I think you would be excellent at it. And for all those judgemental fuckers just put two fingers up to them you are worth a million of them x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hugs Pork xxxx

Or maybe when your up to it train as a councilor I think you would be excellent at it. And for all those judgemental fuckers just put two fingers up to them you are worth a million of them x"

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Hi there , very personal question but how many peolpe on here suffer from depression.

Please don't leave any stupid answers, it's not funny and it takes a lot to admit to, and no , I am not embarrassed about it, it's made me exactly who I am and I am proud to be me xxxx "

luckily not mate, but feel for you. I had a good friends daughter take her own life through depression and it is a horrible illness that i personally feel not enough people take notice of. I am doing a bike ride hopefully in may and my chosen charity will be related to depression...

keep going mate and good on you for sharing

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Hi there , very personal question but how many peolpe on here suffer from depression.

Please don't leave any stupid answers, it's not funny and it takes a lot to admit to, and no , I am not embarrassed about it, it's made me exactly who I am and I am proud to be me xxxx

"

I don't have it, but a very good friend has, and also two colleagues so seems more common illness than I originally thought. Also know of three others that suffer with it too.

Reply privately

By *ormerWelshcouple2020Man
over a year ago

Stourbridge

My heartfelt admiration to all the contributors to

this thread. I (mr) have also suffered although no where near to the extent of those who's stories have frankly had me close to tears.

Kinky, your experiences deserve wider recognition, people need to know what is really happening in our country.

My very best wishes to you all.

Mark.

Reply privately

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

A HUGE THANKYOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS SHARED AND AIRED THEIR INNERMOST DETAILS......

My heart goes out to all of you. And thankyou for all of you who have supported those of us who live with this horrible illness on a daily basis .

Take care to all of you , and I hope your lives get better, I really don't think mine can fall any further to be honest xxx

Reply privately

over a year ago

"A HUGE THANKYOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS SHARED AND AIRED THEIR INNERMOST DETAILS......

My heart goes out to all of you. And thankyou for all of you who have supported those of us who live with this horrible illness on a daily basis .

Take care to all of you , and I hope your lives get better, I really don't think mine can fall any further to be honest xxx "

You can either get kicked down and stay down or get up dust yourself off and come back fighting stronger x

Reply privately

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

"A HUGE THANKYOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS SHARED AND AIRED THEIR INNERMOST DETAILS......

Take care to all of you , and I hope your lives get better, I really don't think mine can fall any further to be honest xxx

You can either get kicked down and stay down or get up dust yourself off and come back fighting stronger x"

Fully understand what you are saying but sadly it's easier said than done. That's the problem with this it keeps rearing its ugly head. No matter how many times you brush yourself your ability to actually do something about it is very much impaired by depression. Sorry but it's hard to put in words but I am sure peolpe understand where I am coming from. Xx

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

You can either get kicked down and stay down or get up dust yourself off and come back fighting stronger x

Fully understand what you are saying but sadly it's easier said than done. That's the problem with this it keeps rearing its ugly head. No matter how many times you brush yourself your ability to actually do something about it is very much impaired by depression. Sorry but it's hard to put in words but I am sure peolpe understand where I am coming from. Xx"

My choir has the strapline 'because singing makes you happy'. It certainly helps.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Fully understand what you are saying but sadly it's easier said than done. That's the problem with this it keeps rearing its ugly head. No matter how many times you brush yourself your ability to actually do something about it is very much impaired by depression. Sorry but it's hard to put in words but I am sure peolpe understand where I am coming from. Xx"

Totally understand where you are coming from my lowest of the low ended up with me in hospital having my stomach pumped would not wish that on anyone. Every time I think I am getting somewhere with my life I get kicked back into the gutter literally. I refuse to go there again.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yes, I understand. I also know how it feels to make progress despite everything and to succeed in the face of opposition.

Some days are dreadful, some are good but things can, and sometimes do, change dramatically and very suddenly, so never give up.

Depression can be managed. It may not necessarily keep rearing its head.

I urge anyone who is feeling like things are dreadful and will always be dreadful to go to see their GP. If that GP doesn't take it seriously, see another.

If you're being treated and it's not helping, or is making you feel worse, or causing side effects, go back. There are lots of different drugs for this and some will work where others won't.

If you've tried several drugs and none have worked, you may be misdiagnosed.

Finally, help yourself. The following things all, usually, help:

Regular exercise

Good diet and eating habits

Social contact

Getting enough sleep

Time away from my problems and from being stuck in my own head, doing positive things and helping other people also help me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Another aspect is anxiety which is a big thing can be masked with depression. But anxiety is a huge thing x

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 31/10/12 19:50:04]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I have suffered depression for many years, but many of them in silence. I have been through physical and mental abuse since the age of 8 at the hands of the people that are supposed to love you move than anything in the world. I thought i was getting on top of it but then i had my lovely daughter whom is disabled and it is only the last 12yrs that i have sought help counselors etc. My medication is still on the high side and i have manged to lay a lot to rest by facing certain demons. It's not something that goes away and i ADMIRE anyone that puts their hands up and says "Hey i have a problem help me"... Common or not i am not ashamed to have a good cry in the face of it all.... Just pleased to be here still for my lovely children when things could have gone so horribly wrong !!! (Perky)"

"More not move"

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 31/10/12 22:25:58]

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"[Removed by poster at 31/10/12 22:25:58]"

Thanks for posting.

Reply privately

over a year ago

My heart really goes out to you guys when I read some of these posts.

I (Him) had a complete "meltdown" about 4 years ago and had to take a long of time off work. I have been on medication ever since and have gradually learned to live with it but it still beats me down sometimes. I like to think I cope well with the depression and am the first to admit it is on the milder end of the scale but i get occasional bouts of anxiety and panic and they still are almost impossible for me to deal with. Luckily they are getting fewer and further between nowadays.

I would never have believe your brain could make you feel so physically ill.

What amazed me and continues to amaze and sadden me is how many people silently suffer with this.

I returned to work after months off a senior manager took me into his office and sat me down and told me "I suffer from the same thing, have done for years. You will learn to cope better but don't expect it to go away totally. If you need to talk you know where I am"

I was stunned. I had no idea. Since that day it is amazing how many colleagues and friends have told me they are on the same or similar medication with the same of similar issues. I had no idea before. I have worked with one guy for 7 years every day and I only found out last week while chatting to him he is on the same medication as me.

And the manager (who I was not very keen on before ) has stuck to his word and has talked me through some pretty bad times.

And I in turn have found myself in the position of being able to help just a little bit with others who have started to suffer.

It has taught me a lot about myself and others though and although it is a very negative illness I hope it has has some positive effect on me as a person for that.

Horrible, Horrible illness

xx

Reply privately

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I've avoided posting on this thread as I have a problem with taking anything seriously...this doesn't mean that I don't suffer on occasion with depression.

I've been off work since beginning of May - I've tried twice to get back to work but my problem has been physical (arthritis and sciatica) rather than a mental health problem. I've been prescribed lots and lots of tablets to try to help and eventually realised I was depressed as well as in pain so been on anti-d's as well as painkillers - painkillers have vegged me out, poss combined with the anti depressants.

I'm now on my lowest painkillers (co-codamols, diclofenac and amitryptilene) after having withdrawals from morphine, valium and tramadols - tbh they aren't doing me a lot of good, but I'm trying to wait till I have my op to go back onto the strong stuff

I'm aware I've been rambling for the last couple of paragraphs, gonna blame that on the tablets and the fact that I'm a "wumman of a certain age" and some of my symptoms are probably menopausal too

Best wishes and good luck to those strugggling with the black dog - if there's anything I might be able to help with or if you wanna chat with a total loony, please PM me

Reply privately

over a year ago

I have depression as a result of PTSD , combat stress , it hit me 10 years after I had left the military , I had no idea what was wrong with me and I was devastated when the doctor told me because of the stigma I felt towards myself !

Fact , just over 500 service men died during the Falklands war , but over 1000 have committed suicide suffering from depression since the war ended in 82 !

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I have had it since I was a teenager.. Was put on medication which helped then slowly came off the medication.. Had a recent bout of it the doctor refused to put me on any medication and refered me for councelling.. Went there for a few months.. I get my down days but more often I get my happy days...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I didn't think my topic would have such a profound effect on others .... But i am happy I had the balls to start this thread !!!!!!

Two fingers to the ignorance surrounding this awful illness !!! "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Another aspect is anxiety which is a big thing can be masked with depression. But anxiety is a huge thing x"

Suffered for yrs with anxiety too, i couldn't go to the shops, pubs or any social event with more than 5-10 people , tried many different forms of medication and cognital behaviour therapies but nothing helped, a very good friend recomended a hypnotist in southampton, and i have to say that i had just 3 sessions with her and i was like a new person, she totally turned my life around for the better, i can never thank her enough x

Reply privately

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

Looks like the thread is still live .....

Well another day another dollar.

Took the 150mg of sertraline this morning again!!!! It's what's stops the

Main depression kicking in fully .

Can't go anywhere tax run out on car and no money to travel lol, oh well still breathing .

Feel a little down today , and am trying to rise above it all by finding something to do to take my mind off it. Family seem to have noticed me going backwards right now, but as we all know its sometimes hard to talk/upset peolpe with your down times.

Everyday right now just seems to be the same as the last and can't but feel I am on an infuriating roundabout that continues to spin. I had everything 19 months back beautiful wife , great job, lovely home, family around me , happiness..... Now I Have my health ish , which is better than some.....

Today's going to be one if those days but hey , you get used to it, sorry that's wrong, you simply live with it !!!!

Thanks for your time, and for listening

As one person said earlier, the chance of me actually meeting now is probably non existent but I needed to share this xxx ??

Reply privately

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

"Looks like the thread is still live .....

Well another day another dollar.

Took the 150mg of sertraline this morning again!!!! It's what's stops the

Main depression kicking in fully .

Can't go anywhere tax run out on car and no money to travel lol, oh well still breathing .

Feel a little down today , and am trying to rise above it all by finding something to do to take my mind off it. Family seem to have noticed me going backwards right now, but as we all know its sometimes hard to talk/upset peolpe with your down times.

Everyday right now just seems to be the same as the last and can't but feel I am on an infuriating roundabout that continues to spin. I had everything 19 months back beautiful wife , great job, lovely home, family around me , happiness..... Now I Have my health ish , which is better than some.....

Today's going to be one if those days but hey , you get used to it, sorry that's wrong, you simply live with it !!!!

Thanks for your time, and for listening

As one person said earlier, the chance of me actually meeting now is probably non existent but I needed to share this xxx ??"

**** 10 months ago not 19

Reply privately

over a year ago

Casperpaul, get out and go for a walk. Get some air and some exercise. Find somewhere to go and be sociable, maybe volunteering somewhere you'll have contact with people - hospice, food bank or somewhere.

You need time outside of your own head.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Another aspect is anxiety which is a big thing can be masked with depression. But anxiety is a huge thing x"
Your so right my dad died last week and its like my world has come apart. we was so close .. the love of my life my dad. I know time helps and graving is normal.

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

I find one of the most important things is knowing that someone understands what your going through. It is a kind of no words needed understanding. My psyciatrist will say, even he cant fully understand as hes never been through it. When ive been in hospital its weird because no matter how ill people are they understand sometimes we would just sit and hold hands with people as no words where needed.

The people who have posted on this thread all have a kind of bond, they all understand.

Reply privately

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

"Casperpaul, get out and go for a walk. Get some air and some exercise. Find somewhere to go and be sociable, maybe volunteering somewhere you'll have contact with people - hospice, food bank or somewhere.

You need time outside of your own head."

I have phoned and sent off for volunteer work, just waiting to hear back. Been for a two hour walk this morning at 5.30

I understand what you mean though, thankyou xxxxxxxx

Reply privately

over a year ago

Please don't leave any stupid answers, it's not funny and it takes a lot to admit to, and no , I am not embarrassed about it, it's made me exactly who I am and I am proud to be me xxxx "

So proud you have to shout about it and let everyone know you have it? Posting a thread about it says exactly the opposite, that you are struggling with it and need to know you're not isolated.

I don't understand depression at all. We all have off days but you only have to look at the world around you to realise there is always someone somewhere else who's worse off. Whenever I hear people with 'depression' talking about it it always comes back to whenever something bad happens to them that it's a case of 'I have depression and need concessions to allow for it'. These people need to stop relying on an emotional crutch and grow some balls and get on with life.

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

So proud you have to shout about it and let everyone know you have it? Posting a thread about it says exactly the opposite, that you are struggling with it and need to know you're not isolated.

I don't understand depression at all. We all have off days but you only have to look at the world around you to realise there is always someone somewhere else who's worse off. Whenever I hear people with 'depression' talking about it it always comes back to whenever something bad happens to them that it's a case of 'I have depression and need concessions to allow for it'. These people need to stop relying on an emotional crutch and grow some balls and get on with life."

Thats even low for you wishy

Reply privately

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

I don't understand depression at all. We all have off days but you only have to look at the world around you to realise there is always someone somewhere else who's worse off. Whenever I hear people with 'depression' talking about it it always comes back to whenever something bad happens to them that it's a case of 'I have depression and need concessions to allow for it'. These people need to stop relying on an emotional crutch and grow some balls and get on with life."

Sorry but are you saying that peolpe with diagnosed depression need to grow balls and get on with it or the peolpe who are just feeling down??

Because these are two totally different things

Reply privately

over a year ago

Absolutely gobsmacked reading that statement

Reply privately

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

In fact I just realised what your saying ..... Thanks for your input.... Fantastic ignorance on your part, please to all of you who are in this horrible boat , DO NOT take these comments to heart.

How can you sit there and judge !!!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wishy, depression is an illness. As for the "need to tell people about it", this attitude that it's something to be ashamed of and kept hidden is part of the problem.

Telling depressed people to pull their socks up, or grow some balls, is ignorance and a total lack of compassion at the most extreme end of the scale.

You're right, you clearly don't understand it.

Reply privately

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

"Wishy, depression is an illness. As for the "need to tell people about it", this attitude that it's something to be ashamed of and kept hidden is part of the problem.

Telling depressed people to pull their socks up, or grow some balls, is ignorance and a total lack of compassion at the most extreme end of the scale.

You're right, you clearly don't understand it."

Maybe she's right, maybe I am weak and pathetic. Pretty much how I feel anyway ......... She's probably hit the nail on the head, waste of space and useless x

Reply privately

over a year ago

I like to think this site is not just about sex ... its about caring for others too even if you dont know them only from reading a post here. And getting a insight into others lifes .. and we all know life its not always a bed of roses .Most posts here you look at think oooo no again or a look at me post ... this is a post a man is being open about feeling and his life and its not bad its a good thing as others see they are not alone.

Reply privately

over a year ago

This is why its called the hidden illness you cant see mental health the silent killer.

You should be truly ashamed of that statement and god hopes that you or anybody you know does not go through this illness x

You just think about all those people that commit suicide because they cant see a way out or that they have nobody to turn too.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Wishy, depression is an illness. As for the "need to tell people about it", this attitude that it's something to be ashamed of and kept hidden is part of the problem.

You're right, you clearly don't understand it.

Maybe she's right, maybe I am weak and pathetic. Pretty much how I feel anyway ......... She's probably hit the nail on the head, waste of space and useless x "

Your not your a man who just come to a place in life ... that need a little help and understanding . Your not alone here .. as you see from others who post .. some think showing yourself it makes you vulnerable well i could not care as long as your letting it out and off your chest and it help and it will help others too ,

Reply privately

over a year ago

I thought i was in a minority not that im happy all you lovely ppl have suffered just helps a bit

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

wishy that is a low blow

Reply privately

over a year ago

" wishy that is a low blow"
Some don't like showing feeling in public so don't like others too .. as make them vulnerable and best under raps only family and friends.. well if you have no family little friends .. or find them hard to chat too them s strangers easier at times as not going to think so bad and judge so much.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I recently went to my GP, after denying for years, that I might have drepression (and have symtoms of social anxiety too).

I was asked the usual questions and asked to fill in the questionnaire, which turned out to be high. I was asked what I wanted to do. I said no medication, just want someone to talk to. Was given a referal form to see a psychiatrist and don't know how long that will take.

If a member of my family did not have depression, I doubt I would have realised that I have and just wonder why I'm feeling the way I'm feeling.

Reply privately

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

"I recently went to my GP, after denying for years, that I might have drepression (and have symtoms of social anxiety too).

I was asked the usual questions and asked to fill in the questionnaire, which turned out to be high. I was asked what I wanted to do. I said no medication, just want someone to talk to. Was given a referal form to see a psychiatrist and don't know how long that will take.

If a member of my family did not have depression, I doubt I would have realised that I have and just wonder why I'm feeling the way I'm feeling. "

Can't be more help apart from its a chemical inbalance in the brain, that's why the tablets help/combat it.

There is no answer for the way you feel. Your life could be 100% perfect yet you will always have something that could be causing you to have depression, it's not something that can be turned on and off . The slightest thing can set it off, I remember standing in the kitchen and dropping a mug. Floods of tears next stating I don't know why ...

My heart goes out to you but to pinpoint why you feel this way...... Sometimes you will never know , it's an illness that's causing it , nothing to do with what or how your doing things xxxx

Reply privately

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

Wishy, I think in your opening line which says, "I don't understand depression at all" it basically sums you up in one phrase.... you don't know what it is all about!!!!

The problem is that in today's modern male thinking, the tendency is that guys bottle up their emotions; it's like saying real guys don't need to see their GP or experts, they sort out their own problems!

I went through this years ago; I'd been unemployed for over a year, had immense money worries and so on, and was ill every week with something or other. I lived alone, had no one to turn to and I was at an all time low.

Then I saw an article in a paper; it actually was about how constant illness and trips to the GP could actually have an underlying cause. I completed a questionnaire completing every question with a Yes, it made me think. I saw my GP; he agreed I should see someone and within a fortnight, I was seeing preofessional counsellors.

They diagnosed depression and anxiety; they got me the help I needed, but the one main factor they described was... getting to admit to my GP I needed help, instead of following the Macho theme of "real men don't need to see someone, they sort out their own problems!"

So, Wishy, live in your own little world but don't pontificate on something you obviously don't have a clue about - after all, you admitted it in your first few words!

Reply privately

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

"Wishy, I think in your opening line which says, "I don't understand depression at all" it basically sums you up in one phrase.... you don't know what it is all about!!!!

The problem is that in today's modern male thinking, the tendency is that guys bottle up their emotions; it's like saying real guys don't need to see their GP or experts, they sort out their own problems!

I went through this years ago; I'd been unemployed for over a year, had immense money worries and so on, and was ill every week with something or other. I lived alone, had no one to turn to and I was at an all time low.

Then I saw an article in a paper; it actually was about how constant illness and trips to the GP could actually have an underlying cause. I completed a questionnaire completing every question with a Yes, it made me think. I saw my GP; he agreed I should see someone and within a fortnight, I was seeing preofessional counsellors.

They diagnosed depression and anxiety; they got me the help I needed, but the one main factor they described was... getting to admit to my GP I needed help, instead of following the Macho theme of "real men don't need to see someone, they sort out their own problems!"

So, Wishy, live in your own little world but don't pontificate on something you obviously don't have a clue about - after all, you admitted it in your first few words!

"

BLOODY WELL SAID !!!!!!

Reply privately

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

You dont understand depression at all ? Really ? Are you sure ? Out of all the posts on here you sound the most depressed. And so depressed that your anger spills out uncontrolled, attacking people who you perceive as being weak because they dare talk about and admit to something that perhaps you cannot. I actually feel sorry for you because it is apparent that you dont have anyone around you whom you can trust and confide in. Or tell them how angry you really feel and how difficult it is to cope sometimes.

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Please don't let this, generally, supportive thread turn into anger at Wishy. He clearly states he does not understand depression.

There are lots of people who do not understand it.

I believe my depression is triggered by a chemical imbalance: the drugs work quite quickly. Life events and my experiences as a child have shaped where I focus that internal anger feed the chemical imbalance. I lose perspective.

Other people do not experience this. They get blue sometimes but retain perspective and can shake themselves off and get on with things.

Others don't experience it themselves but have enough of a connection with others who do have depression to have sympathy.

Never forget that those who care for those of us with depression may do it with love and care and others do it reluctantly and resent it, sometimes without even realising their anger.

No response is a simple as it may seem.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Please don't attack people because they have a different _iew from you, you may not agree with a poster but their _iew is allowed.

Reply privately

By *pl- capdagdeCouple
over a year ago

Cap d agde,France

Yeah maybe we should say the same about people with Cancer and other horrible illnesses "grow some balls and get on with "lets hope you never have anything where you'll need medical help or support...your typical off anyone who has never suffered from anxiety or depression...

Reply privately

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

Even for you Wishy that is low and so lacking in any sort of empathy for others who are suffering an illness..

i dont have it personally but i know people who do, and they have bigger bollocks than i or you will ever have..

its an ILLNESS same as cancer is an ILLNESS and sadly it can have the same dire consequenses..

yes agree we all have bad days etc, but what gives you the right to tell someone to 'grow a set'..

'heaven' forbid one of your loved ones suffers from it, they clearly could'nt speak to you could they?

a disgusting and ignorant post Wishy, well out of order..

Reply privately

over a year ago

just because wishy's _iew is different to other peoples, doesnt mean he should be slated for it. I agree with what he put across, everyone has shit in their life to deal with. But not everyone wallows in it, some folk just do have it in them to get on with everything life throws at them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

If I had to make a stab in the dark, I would think someone is in a bit of denial...

Reply privately

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

"Please don't attack people because they have a different _iew from you, you may not agree with a poster but their _iew is allowed.

"

They already stated they don't understand so if you don't understand why comment on something you have no knowledge of? Surely better just to say nothing!

If you had bolemia then the last thing you want to hear is eAt and stop being sick.... I would never comment on a subject I have absolutely no comprehension about especially when I full admit I don't ????

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I recently went to my GP, after denying for years, that I might have drepression (and have symtoms of social anxiety too).

If a member of my family did not have depression, I doubt I would have realised that I have and just wonder why I'm feeling the way I'm feeling.

Can't be more help apart from its a chemical inbalance in the brain, that's why the tablets help/combat it.

There is no answer for the way you feel. Your life could be 100% perfect yet you will always have something that could be causing you to have depression, it's not something that can be turned on and off . The slightest thing can set it off, I remember standing in the kitchen and dropping a mug. Floods of tears next stating I don't know why ...

My heart goes out to you but to pinpoint why you feel this way...... Sometimes you will never know , it's an illness that's causing it , nothing to do with what or how your doing things xxxx "

When I describe it to others I often say I just have this sinking feeling in my chest that won't go away no matter what you do, like something terrible is about to happen.

Funny thing is, people say it's good to talk about it, but I could talk about it till I was blue in the face (and have done to those around me) but it really doesn't do a lot, just knowing someone is there does though. Sadly I've had it on and off for 10 years, better at times worse at others, and was with my ex for 6 years in that time. I think the depression ultimately drove her away, and losing her support was the most harsh thing (and still is to some degree) but I don't think I'd have taken any of the forward steps I have done without her leaving me either (despite the depression probably being worse since).

It's frustrating that some of the close people around me have this mentality that I should just get on with it, and it has driven a wedge in some of my relationships, though it will only ever be temporarily.

The great thing is that it actually helps a lot when I meet new people from fab. I enjoy meeting different people, and they regularly make me feel very good about myself (not in a sexual way) and remind me how much I have to offer when I'm on better form... and you can't get away with being in a blue mood when you meet new people!

Reply privately

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

"just because wishy's _iew is different to other peoples, doesnt mean he should be slated for it. I agree with what he put across, everyone has shit in their life to deal with. But not everyone wallows in it, some folk just do have it in them to get on with everything life throws at them."

WALLOWS IN IT !!!!!!! ??? Wtf?

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Please don't attack people because they have a different _iew from you, you may not agree with a poster but their _iew is allowed.

They already stated they don't understand so if you don't understand why comment on something you have no knowledge of? Surely better just to say nothing!

If you had bolemia then the last thing you want to hear is eAt and stop being sick.... I would never comment on a subject I have absolutely no comprehension about especially when I full admit I don't ???? "

That only says you are different than other people.

People are allowed their opinion even if it doesn't fit in with your own.

Reply privately

By *edonism44 OP   Man
over a year ago

oldham

Lets just agree with all the negativity,

We are all useless sad bastards who can't do anything with our lives , we are making the whole thing up, making a mountain out if a molehill, and the three physicians and specialists I have seen need to go back to university tj get there act together ....... The "black dog" that sir winston Churchill had following him never existed .... Good that's cleared that up .

I am not ill and praise be its a miracle I am cured !!!!!

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

And now you sound like a victim.

Most people have been supportive and you want to concentrate on the one that disagreed.

Maybe time to step back from the keyboard.

Reply privately

By *andCCouple
over a year ago

Leicester

Both of us have a history of depression dating from our teenage years; mine is probably related to childhood stuff, but also has seasonal elements to it. C was also been affected by childhood experiences, but she also has ME. and was recently diagnosed by a Psychiatrist, as having bipolar 2.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The thing that always interests me about peoples reaction to any mention of mental health issues is that, if you recognised you had a problem with your stomach, you would go to the GP. If you went to the GP and he/she told you it was in fact your liver that was not working correctly, you would have no qualms about going for a liver function test.

The brain is just another organ of the body, and it's 'function' is the mind.

So, why does that make that almost a taboo subject? We all have one (a mind) and sometimes not everyones works in the same way as others i.e. it needs treatment. But like other ailments, it is a symptom which cannot be seen (much like the proverbial bad back).

When I was about 13 I was in the St John Ambulance Brigade for a couple of years and I consider I was lucky enough to meet a Doctor through that who taught me and the other kids in my group that the patient to pay the MOST attention to is the one who does NOT display outwards signs of injury. Unfortunately, very often the first outward sign of mental illness, be it depression or something else, is when it is far too late...

Pork

Reply privately

By *witch mix vanillaCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

I can relate to that fully, I was put on anti d's, but instead of helping me they made my moods worse, which then resulted in me seeing a psychiatrist to rule out Bi polar.

Was refered to a brilliant organisation in Manchester, Mood swings, who have helped me out no end, as well as a psychologist.

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"Lets just agree with all the negativity,

We are all useless sad bastards who can't do anything with our lives , we are making the whole thing up, making a mountain out if a molehill, and the three physicians and specialists I have seen need to go back to university tj get there act together ....... The "black dog" that sir winston Churchill had following him never existed .... Good that's cleared that up .

I am not ill and praise be its a miracle I am cured !!!!! "

Deep breath in and let it out slowly. He has tapped into your insecurities and your mood today. You know, as I do, that you can't control what other people think and do. The only control you have is your response to them.

Depression makes it difficult to control the response but try not to make it one that leaves you more upset.

Read the supportive comments again. See how many people have shared their stories. Take a break from the forum.

Feel better soon.

Reply privately

By *wanzMan
over a year ago

Swansea

I've just read every word of every post on this topic ...

I myself have had issues with depression in the past and should ANYONE want to privately message me as someone to talk to, to get some support from or just to vent .. PLEASE DONT THINK TWICE ....

Sat here with tears in my eyes I know that EVERYONE deserves a friend, and sometimes when there isnt enough support from others / family etc then life can be very very tough ...

If you need me - contact me ... I can't promise to fix things - but I do promise to listen ...

Reply privately

By *umb angelWoman
over a year ago

hinckley

ive had it since i was 13 an battled it ever since.im border line bi polar an cannot find a pill that helps.im bringing up 3 kids on my own cus dad died 5yrs ago.my way of handling it is i laugh when i can an cry when i carnt.i find myself having crazy meets with strangers when going through a rough patch ,think its chasing the feel good factor but who nos?i shut myself away from people 2 then moan iv got no 1 there 4 me lol its a mind boggling illness that we all deal with in our own way.strange but true im affraid.an its not because were weak either its because we try to deal with our hardships alone an get bogged down without realising it.i refuse to let mine beat me it can go to hell lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

"just because wishy's _iew is different to other peoples, doesnt mean he should be slated for it. I agree with what he put across, everyone has shit in their life to deal with. But not everyone wallows in it, some folk just do have it in them to get on with everything life throws at them."

I agree and Wishy's post hasn't offended me or yours for that matter.

The phrase "ignorance is bliss" rings true here.

Wishy has stated he doesn't understand depression, I assume that you are the same.

The stigma that society still attaches to this illness is shocking.

For people who do not understand what depression feels like, it is because you take for granted the ability that your brain will function as "normal".

There is no one cause for depression and many, many types, it is hereditary, people with other illnesses that are inherited are not told to pull themselves together, it is after all not their fault they have been born with a condition.

It can be caused by chemical imbalances in your brain, it is not fully understood why such imbalances occur, again cancer strikes many people in this country, they are not told to get over it as to why they were chosen to have the disease.

It can be caused by trauma, not necessarily a physical trauma, but someone who has been in a car accident and is paralysed is not told to just get on with life.

Post natal depression is very high, which is caused by extra hormones produced and therefore different chemicals in your brain are released creating an imbalance.

Like a case in the news this week, of a mother who kills her own children while suffering from post natal depression, experts can prove this was due to the fact she did not have a fully functioning brain due to illness and did not have the capacity to perform a normal life.

The brain is still not fully understood by scientists or medical staff, so for laymen/women to judge an illness that does affect your brain, without their _iew being based on fact is out of their mind.

Reply privately

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

cant be doing with people sticking up for "wishy's" ignorant provocative post. Why come into a sensible intelligent supportive thread and attack people. Its called "projection" transferring your anger onto others. And its also very attention seeking and immature. To do it to people who are vulnerable is cruel beyond belief. I still pity wishy who is obviously in denial.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

The brain is still not fully understood by scientists or medical staff, so for laymen/women to judge an illness that does affect your brain, without their _iew being based on fact is out of their mind.

"

You are exactly right with your final paragraph.

Many people seem to think that, given a few pills, depression will just go away. That couldn't be more wrong. It takes years to treat and it is far from an exact science, often medications need to be changed and dosages altered, not to mention hours of counciling and therapy.

I'm lucky, in that, when I suffered with PTSD it was fairly short term and not something that rears its head, but it has given me a massive insight into depression (and other mental illnesses) and I hope it makes me better and more understanding in my job.

Reply privately

over a year ago

i think its out of order for people to go round accusing others they do not know of having mental health issues. if you disagree with a post that fine but don't get personal and attack others

Reply privately

over a year ago

2. Personally, I think you have hit the nail on the head about writing. You clearly have a talent for it. Why don't you use it as a form of therapy? A lot of people do. Your threads and contributions on here tell me you have a creatgive mind and can transfer it to paper. GO FOR IT!!! I KNOW you can do it.

Hugs Pork xxxx"

Kinky, you must write that book!!! Will save many lives and by bravely telling your story, you are encouraging others who suffer in silence... Read a book by Eckhart Tolle A New Earth who was homeless on a park bench before writing his book...

People express themselves in many ways and this is one of them being on a swinging site... I have had bouts of depression through experiencing childhood illnesses and bereavements of so many close ones from a young age. Yet I use dance therapy such as 5 rhythmns and herbal medicine such as ginkgo and chamomile as well music to heal when feeling low. Good supportive friends and family so helps. Worked in mental health service for several years and it is tough to make your voice heard. People's recovery journeys need to be heard to inspire.

To the OP thanks for starting this thread again as well as the other people for sharing their stories as they are an inspiration to so many. Ebony

b)

Reply privately

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

"after reading wishes profile i think they have a few underlined problems going on them selfs lol "

I have noticed wishy doing a similar thing on other threads. Being provocative and attacking the poster.Its a bit sad really, attention seeking and troll like. Then of course people attack wishy back. And then we get the defenders in. Then the post is highjacked.

Seeing as this thread was popular and supportive can i suggest that we try to completely ignore wishy's ignorant and offensive post and his defenders and carry on like they dont exist.

I would also appeal to anyone who doesnt understand depression and wants to rubbish it or be provocative in this thread to go play somewhere else and try and enjoy life rather than spreading misery

Reply privately

over a year ago

"after reading wishes profile i think they have a few underlined problems going on them selfs lol

I have noticed wishy doing a similar thing on other threads. Being provocative and attacking the poster.Its a bit sad really, attention seeking and troll like. Then of course people attack wishy back. And then we get the defenders in. Then the post is highjacked.

Seeing as this thread was popular and supportive can i suggest that we try to completely ignore wishy's ignorant and offensive post and his defenders and carry on like they dont exist.

I would also appeal to anyone who doesnt understand depression and wants to rubbish it or be provocative in this thread to go play somewhere else and try and enjoy life rather than spreading misery "

I would suggest then, that you stop highlighting said post, and it is an open forum where people will post what they choose to do so.

You are waving a red rag at a bull, for no reason, if there is something posted you do not like, just post around it and ignore it.

Making it a big issue will not help

Reply privately

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

My depression is a symptom of a more serious MH diagnosis that is life long and cant really be treated.

They say that depression is anger turned in on itself. i recognise that about me. But also i recognise that sometimes i kid myself im better because i manage to turn that anger outward onto the world. Just wondered if anyone has a similar experience ?

Reply privately

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman
over a year ago

Deviant City

A lot of things in this thread are very very close to my heart.

I am so overwhelmed that there are others in similar positions.

I haven't got the guts to share my experiences, but I applaud those who have.

Reply privately

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)
over a year ago

birmingham

"The truth is I am actually a write-off."

Only because you think you are

You’ve successfully beaten many of your challenges in life, and lived to tell the tale.

Each challenge you now face, have the courage, dedication, and enthusiasm to beat it.

Life itself is a challenge; we either succumb and accept defeat, or tackle the challenges head on.

For those that are suffering with some form of “chaotic” lifestyles / issues, break the issues down, prioritise the issues between those that require immediate attention and those that don’t.

Prioritising issues, into an a) b) c) list will assist those finding it difficult to unscramble their mind.

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"My depression is a symptom of a more serious MH diagnosis that is life long and cant really be treated.

They say that depression is anger turned in on itself. i recognise that about me. But also i recognise that sometimes i kid myself im better because i manage to turn that anger outward onto the world. Just wondered if anyone has a similar experience ?"

Yes, I recognise that. I try and use the outward anger in as positive a way as possible. Social injustice keeps me busy.

Reply privately

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

"My depression is a symptom of a more serious MH diagnosis that is life long and cant really be treated.

They say that depression is anger turned in on itself. i recognise that about me. But also i recognise that sometimes i kid myself im better because i manage to turn that anger outward onto the world. Just wondered if anyone has a similar experience ?

Yes, I recognise that. I try and use the outward anger in as positive a way as possible. Social injustice keeps me busy."

Thanks. Im similar in that social injustice keeps me busy to. Praps the present govt needs a few of us I find myself in a spiral sometimes tho. Putting anger outside of myself often upsets people and then of course i self loathe because i hurt people. Thankfully i try to keep my humour even in the darkest times.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The truth is I am actually a write-off.

Only because you think you are

You’ve successfully beaten many of your challenges in life, and lived to tell the tale.

Each challenge you now face, have the courage, dedication, and enthusiasm to beat it.

Life itself is a challenge; we either succumb and accept defeat, or tackle the challenges head on.

For those that are suffering with some form of “chaotic” lifestyles / issues, break the issues down, prioritise the issues between those that require immediate attention and those that don’t.

Prioritising issues, into an a) b) c) list will assist those finding it difficult to unscramble their mind.

"

Thank you for this.

I should clarify my statement which was very unclear. What I meant is that I'm seen, too often, as a write-off. I don't consider myself to be a write-off at all.

I continue to fight my corner with everything available to me. When I am settled there may be an additional thread discussing what it took to get the help I needed.

I also have plans to campaign for some changes. I need to be housed and in a stable environment before I start that but I am absolutely determined that good will come of what I've been through.

If I can make things that bit easier for other people in my situation, I can't say it will have been worth it but it will help somewhat with the bitter taste in my mouth.

When it isn't making me furiously indignant, people claiming those with mental health issues are weak make me laugh.

If I'm weak, Ryan's a vegetarian.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"cant be doing with people sticking up for "wishy's" ignorant provocative post."

If that is to me I didn't stick up for Wishy's _iews.

I did however say that EVERYONE has a right to air their _iews within the forum rules.

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

I "came out" awhile ago about having bipolar, only people that where close to me knew. But truth is i got fed up of lying or making excuses of why i couldnt go somewhere or do something.

I really believe that in general the stigma of mental illness is far less than it used to be. When i was first diagnosed, it was a case of "oh she suffers with her nerves" not many people understood.

In the last 10 years i cant remember having a negative attitude towards me.

The first question people used to ask was "are you violent" now adays if they ask questions its because they want to get a bit more incite into mental health.

I get so many people say "oh you dont look the kind of person" what is someone with mental health problems supposed to look like?

I am by nature a lively outgoing person, i have to be told by those close to me when im manic as i dont recognize the signs, but i do recognized the signs of when im going down.

Thats when i shut myself away and the reason i spend so long on the computer as quite a lot of the time i am not able to leave the house on my own except locally. Im ok with someone with me most of the time.

But i have a fantastic support group, family and jay. Without them i dread to think what my life would be like. I know im lucky and appreciate the fact that many in the same situation as me dont get the help that is needed

Reply privately

over a year ago

" Thats when i shut myself away and the reason i spend so long on the computer as quite a lot of the time i am not able to leave the house on my own except locally. Im ok with someone with me most of the time."

I get like this too, sometimes for weeks at a time. The worst phase lasted 3 months. I couldn't even go into the garden.

Some people just did not/do not understand. What do you mean you can't leave the house? You're physically able, stand up, put one foot in front of the other, open the door and step through it.

It sounds so simple yet sometimes wild horses couldn't drag me through that door.

There's no specific fear there just a total mental block about doing it. There may as well be an actually force field preventing me.

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 01/11/12 15:14:16]

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

" Thats when i shut myself away and the reason i spend so long on the computer as quite a lot of the time i am not able to leave the house on my own except locally. Im ok with someone with me most of the time.

I get like this too, sometimes for weeks at a time. The worst phase lasted 3 months. I couldn't even go into the garden.

Some people just did not/do not understand. What do you mean you can't leave the house? You're physically able, stand up, put one foot in front of the other, open the door and step through it.

It sounds so simple yet sometimes wild horses couldn't drag me through that door.

There's no specific fear there just a total mental block about doing it. There may as well be an actually force field preventing me."

I call it my magic wall, as i cant get through it, the worst is when i cant get in the bath or shower(thankfully that doesnt happen often now) my mum has to come round and make me a sandwich as i pysically cant make one.

Took me three years to put the christmas tree up, as for two years on the trot i just couldnt do it. I dont blame people for being ignorant, if someone doesnt know about mental illness. But it would be nice if such people listened to what people who suffer have to say

Reply privately

over a year ago

Diamond, you could be describing me. It's uncannily similar to my own experiences.

Reply privately

By *kyblue2681Woman
over a year ago

manchester

My doctor said i have SAD but as i went off meds over 2 years ago and sorted my life issues out I've not felt this good in years so i think was actual depression i know alot of my early symptoms now though and can usually manage it myself as me and my partner are trying to have a baby i don't want to resort back to meds but if got bad enough i would. I wouldn't want to get back to where i was 11 years ago

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"Diamond, you could be describing me. It's uncannily similar to my own experiences."

Did you watch the programme stephen fry did? I have the dvd and one of the ladies that was speaking could of been me speaking it was so just like me

Reply privately

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

Let me tell you a little story.. A few years ago, I was a very angry man! Not in everyday life, but “at” things. Someone would come on the telly and start to tell a story about some poor person who had been down on their luck and I would shout at the telly about how they should “get a life”! I would look in the local paper and see that someone had done some good for another person and make the statement, to anyone who would listen, that they only did it for the kudos! If someone voiced an opinion that was contrary to mine, I would tell them they were stupid and wrong.

Thing is, all the time I was doing these things, I was secretly feeling bad about it! I was wishing I wasn’t doing it, but I had to direct attention away from me! I was a fraud! On the outside, I was just an angry person, on the inside I was in turmoil. I used to pretend that I didn’t care and I used to say stupid things like “I don’t care what people think of me” when in actual fact, I did! I would do things and when pulled up on it, I would just say that I would do what I liked and fuck everyone else!

At the same time, I would sit in front of the telly and feel very emotional about something silly and cover it with some nasty comment. I would scare the kids sometimes and my wife too. And it took a long time for me to realise that my self confidence was out to lunch, my self esteem had gone on holiday and both had left my self loathing in charge..

So, don’t be too hard on those who say that they don’t understand, for they are tomorrows casualties in this war..

Reply privately