Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Potential identity theft

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

An important letter containing details of pensions,ref numbers, name address etc has gone missing as they missed a vital part of my address.

Posted 10 days ago.

Is there some sort of agency/authority that I can contact to put myself in their system as a potential victim?

Nothing has occurred that I know of yet so would Action Fraud be able to assist?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Give them a call or Citizen's advice.

Also the pension company.

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

"An important letter containing details of pensions,ref numbers, name address etc has gone missing as they missed a vital part of my address.

Posted 10 days ago.

Is there some sort of agency/authority that I can contact to put myself in their system as a potential victim?

Nothing has occurred that I know of yet so would Action Fraud be able to assist?"

Action Fraud can give advice, but they will likely tell you to contact banks etc.

CIFAS charge £20 to go on their register for 2 years, which adds in additional checks for credit and loans etc. suggest you read up on them.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Do they have your national insurance number and date of birth?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

From my experience of Action Fraud you need to have been a victim of fraud.

By *estless nativeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

Have you seen any activity that would suggest identity theft or is it just the missing letter ?

Royal mail is a mess just now, every week we are having mail delivered to our office that doesnt belong there including passports, benefits applications, medical info and much more.

Theres a chance its sitting somewhere in a RTS basket

By *JB1954Man
over a year ago

Reading

I was notified by company I retired from in 2019. That mine and all employees / former employees details had been hacked. Details of mine taken. NI number , Name , address , telephone numbers, email address. Company paid for credit check company for one year to monitor my details. So sign up for free credit check apps. Report to CEFAS and Action fraud. Then hope no one finds and uses info.

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

First thing to do is try and locate the letter, so I’d get in touch with the Royal Mail. They may hold it or sent back to sender (RTS).

Contact the credit agencies Experian and Equifax, there’s another but I’ve never dealt with them. They’ll put flag on your file so any credit check will be reported to you.

There’s no crime currently, it’s a missing letter so Action Fraud or the Police won’t be interested. But you can contact the Police on 111 the non emergency number for further advice, if you want.

Good luck

over a year ago

"Have you seen any activity that would suggest identity theft or is it just the missing letter ?

Royal mail is a mess just now, every week we are having mail delivered to our office that doesnt belong there including passports, benefits applications, medical info and much more.

Theres a chance its sitting somewhere in a RTS basket"

Nothing suspicious as yer.

Only found after the random call to them this morning.

Will certainly contact RM too as advised.

Many thanks to all

over a year ago

"Do they have your national insurance number and date of birth? "

Don't remember putting them on the forms I returned to pensions company

Post new Message to Thread